Which religion do you follow?

Which religion do you follow?

• Total voters
Agnideva said:
Not anymore :p . I also follow Hinduism ... a combo of monistic-theistic Shaivite and Vedantic branches.

I dont feel so alone non thanks to you Agnideva :)

Happy New year to you and all on these bords.

redindica said:
Well apparentley I'm the only Hindu here! : (

lol...wish my brothers and sisters would participate more.

Another Hindu here (me :D )

my religion is Jesus and the bible.
i guess that makes me Christian but without the 'ity':) .

my religion is Jesus and the bible. i guess that makes me Christian but without the 'ity'.
funny how many Christians follow the teachings of Moses (10 commandments and the like) and the history of Jesus.

and those that read the history of Moses, and follow the teachings of Jesus, tend to not claim Christian-ity.... Not indicating that you are but many believe they are saved by following the teachings, not by a restating a phrase. They accept the teachings of others more readily, actually are trying to absorb that love concept... So they tend not to click Christianity; as it sends non believers to hell,...but mine is not listed here...

oops I'm now speaking for me...and looking around to see who is holding the basement door open for me.

namaste,

I was born and raised Christian and I do believe in love, above all else, but I agree with the others in that I'm not comfortable with the -ity.

I don't think I've learned enough about all of the different religions to say which one I subscribe to, maybe I'll never join any particular camp. I guess I'm just not much of a joiner, lol.

It's a wonderful thing to have the freedom to explore them all and discuss them here :).

I really had no idea what they were on about before when they spoke of the 'ity',... and i'm still not sure.. So when you say that, you mean... What do you mean?

:confused: Have i made some sort of mistake in my poll options?
____
Oh look someone's logged in as me and writen "I hate,..not love.." below my name...? thats strange...

Ok,.. So will someone please elaborate on what was meant when they speak of the 'ity',.. I just don't get it...? :D

I call myself a christian, a follower of our elder brother and wayshower, Jesus the Christ. Striving to live as he lived, from truth, with forgiveness, love and passion. But Christianity in all its forms has tenents that are created by man, yet deemed divine and damnable should you not follow them. So the -ity is more than an itty-bitty issue as many claim to be the one and only true religion...and I believe it is for them.

I also enjoy the teachings of Buddha, Krishna, the Tao. Respect writings of Moses and Mohamed. Read Parahmansa Yogananda, Lao Tzu and Tich Nat Hanh. Enjoy concepts of Paganism, Wiccan, and can spend time with my children at any event reveling in the beauty of their beliefs.

In many circles that tosses me squarely in gehenna, the name of dumps outside the ciities during biblical times where they constantly burned trash, feces, and bodies that woudn't be buried...it stunk, it was awful...became known as what is called hades and hell...but that is another thread.

So that is why I didn't check christian-ity...because I feel it to be innaccurate, and many that chose christianity would be quick to agree....

Thanks Wil, :)

Though i still struggle to see any difference...
But don't worry, there's no need to go to the trouble of trying to say it plainly enough for me to understand, lol ^_^

I'll try reading your post through again... ;)

hi,

i'v put that i follow buddhism, as i find it most right for me. although i wouldnt say that i follow any particular school, mainly because i dont fully understand the divisions, so if i read sometihng i think that i can use, i will, and vice versa.

hope that makes sense,

peace

After reading your post a few times Wil, it would seem it wasn't very much to the point and i'm still unsure why you, Bandit and one or two others have voted the way you did... (I'm not angry btw, i just want to understand).

The word Christian to me is the same as the word Muslim or Jew rather than Christianity, Islam or Judaism. I choose Christianity because i thought it fits better to my poll question.

Thats why i find this hard to understand; How Christian and Christianity are different other than to describe the person or their religion...?

Namaste Mason,

Could be I belong in the Christianity camp...but it is I that am not comfortable there. As there are all forms of christians, and I am one of them I deserve to be there. But I feel more kinship to my fellow man, than some of my fellow christians. I know that is wrong, but I cannot understand those that think our current conflicts are just, and call themselves christian. Those that espouse hate with christianity, it bothers me and in my thinking it shouldn't.

I believe we are one people, one under God. Not American or European or Asian or Arab or Jew or Catholic, or Muslim or Hindu...all one. And I am one with the slayer and the slain, the judger and the judged. So should I feel this separation, no, but I do.

Again I feel kinship with all who explore turn the other cheek, forgiveness, loving our fellow man....whatever religion, creed, nationality, color or...whatever. But as I don't feel kinship to the Republican or Democratic Party, the Left or Right, liberal or conservative camps...I also don't feel comfortable labeling myself as a member of christianity...despite the fact that I admire and aspire to the teachings of Jesus the Christ.

Interfaith is my faith. All faiths that teach love and eschew hatred are manifestations of God's love.

I am a practicing Unitarian Universalist. It's hard to pry interesting theological positions out of a UU, but at least I don't start out being a heretic.

Personally, I am still refining my faith.

Bandit said:
my religion is Jesus and the bible.
i guess that makes me Christian but without the 'ity':) .
Hi Bandit. Doesn't christian in essence mean "anointed ones" in the body of the ekklesia/called out ones?
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][/font]

Acts 11:26 And when he had found him, he brought him to Antioch. So it was that for a whole year they assembled with the church and taught a great many people. And the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch.

5546. Christianos khris-tee-an-os' from 5547; a Christian, i.e. follower of Christ:--Christian. 5547. Christos khris-tos' from 5548; anointed, i.e. the Messiah, an epithet of Jesus:--Christ. 5548. chrio khree'-o probably akin to 5530 through the idea of contact; to smear or rub with oil, i.e. (by implication) to consecrate to an office or religious service:--anoint.

Acts 7:38 `This is he who was in the ekklesia/"church" in the wilderness, with the messenger who is speaking to him in the mount Sinai, and with our fathers who did receive the living oracles to give to us;

ekklesia ek-klay-see'-ah from a compound of 1537 and a derivative of 2564; a calling out, i.e. (concretely) a popular meeting, especially a religious congregation (Jewish synagogue, or Christian community of members on earth or saints in heaven or both):--assembly, church.
2564. kaleo kal-eh'-o akin to the base of 2753; to "call" (properly, aloud, but used in a variety of applications, directly or otherwise):--bid, call (forth), (whose, whose sur-)name (was (called)).

I am wondering when the word "church" started as I had heard it was a "pagan" word though I wouldn't know what other word to use as a christian
http://www.familybible.org/Teaching/Messianic/Church.htm
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]By the time the Bible was finally translated into English, the entire pagan Roman cult had come to be known as “the circle” and this term was later rendered into Old and Middle English as “church.”[/font] [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] [/font] [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]When Tyndale produced the first English translation of the Bible, he correctly translated the word ekklesia as “assembly.” However, when King James commissioned the 1611 translation, he apparently arbitrarily decreed that the word be translated using the common term for the Roman cult, “church,” and so that tradition has also been followed by modern translators without regard to the actual grammatical meaning of the word ekklesia.[/font]

Compare us to the chart over at religious tolerance

Christianity 32%
Islam 19%
Hinduism 13%
No religion 12%
Chinese folk rel. 6%
Buddhism n 6%
Tribal Religions, Shamanism, Animism Prehistory Oral tradition 4%
Atheists 2%
New religions 2%

All the rest less than 1% each…

In the begining Bahai had the early lead and they are still much higher in our pole than the world average...as are Pagans and Jews, the Christians and Muslims here are under-reported....as are a few others...the Buddhists however seem to be curently represented accurately!

I'm not sure if the poll would have had more votes if i had chosen not to reveal the name of the voter,.. i guess it could bother some people. Though i don't know why. ^_^

Back