Many-Worlds and Spiritual Implications

I've never had much sympathy for the many-worlds hypothesis. Such a conflation of the possible with the actual makes little sense. And I don't think we can save what I take to be worthwhile concepts of freedom and responsibility in such a multiverse.

What really does terrify me, however, is that the following might be true:
  1. There really is a multiverse in which every possibility becomes actual in some branch of the multiverse.
  2. There really is a God that punishes us for our sins.
  3. God's punishment involves forcing us to live serially through all those branches of the multiverses, including those caused by someone else's choice, until we get it right!
I don't believe any of those propositions,
but ... I ... might ... be ... wrong!!!

Just think: we might be in an eternal Groundhog Day!

DrFree said:
And I don't think we can save what I take to be worthwhile concepts of freedom and responsibility in such a multiverse.

What really does terrify me, however, is that the following might be true:
  1. There really is a multiverse in which every possibility becomes actual in some branch of the multiverse.
  2. There really is a God that punishes us for our sins.
  3. God's punishment involves forcing us to live serially through all those branches of the multiverses, including those caused by someone else's choice, until we get it right!
My chief issue with the idea of many-worlds is also what happens to freedom and responsibility.

However, your presuppositions aren't very terrifying to me. I suppose I just love life a lot, but I find the thought of living all the different lives I could live interesting.

Back