• Yes

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • No

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • They have half a soul

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters
Mason said:
Things that can only do harm, have no soul or so i like to believe... I voted 'No'.
who says a cleansing of the planed and environment isn't part and parcel of creation and the big plan...

VikingF said:
I personally don't think viruses are aware, but it is up to science to find out whether this is true or not. :)

Awareness comes from the brain when it comes to life on Earth. So you maybe right.

IMHO, I would say that viruses do NOT have souls. If they are only considered alive while they have a host then it would seem to me that they are feeding off of the host's soul.

For those of you that have seen The Matrix, one of the characters in the movie proposed that we (humans) are a virus of Earth. That we are not an organism at all because we have not found a balance with the ecosystem we just keep growing and growing.

Food for thought

-R

Silverbackman said:
Awareness comes from the brain when it comes to life on Earth. So you maybe right.

Well, when it comes to awareness, we really don't know much. It is an existencial question where it comes from.

Atleast, awareness works through the brain, and when the brain dies, the awareness is gone. That much we know. ;)

VikingF said:
Well, when it comes to awareness, we really don't know much. It is an existencial question where it comes from.

Atleast, awareness works through the brain, and when the brain dies, the awareness is gone. That much we know. ;)

Yes but if we were to take the brain out of a person and if put it into an artificial body were will the consciousness and self-awareness be? Now this maybe impossible right now but in the future this will be very much possible. If we take the brain and place it in an artificial body the most likely no awareness will be left in the body it came from ;).

I am sure that somewhere in our brain lies the perhaps the exact chemical composition of consciousness ;). No matter what it maybe consciousness and awareness is an infinitely small microscopic energy that by instinct migrates at the speed of light when it dies. This instinct maybe a fundamental instinct of all life in the universe as it needs to live on so it lives on through another life. There is no reason why it needs to live it just does.

wil said:
Check out this virus that puts up with radiation is adaptagenic and repairs its own dna..the tongue in cheek question is has it convinced us to take it back home since it is incapable of doing it itself?

Hi wil, That is a interesting blurb about D. radiodurans, but I can't stop myself from pointing out that it is a bacteria, not a virus (sorry--it's the biology teacher in me :) ). Also, while the ability of D. radiodurans to survive high exposures to radioactivity, as well as the other harsh conditions mentioned, is a very interesting trait and suggests an extraordinary ability to repair DNA, it should be noted that all cells have the ability to repair DNA. If they did not we would all quickly die from damaged DNA.

As for whether viruses have souls, well, I rather like the Baha'i view on this, which is consistent with the a Christian worldview. That is that everything in creation, including inanimate objects, reflects at least one of God's attributes (kind of fun thinking about which of God's attributes are reflected by various things like rocks and viruses), but only humans have the capacity to reflect all of God's attributes, having been made "in His image."

peace,
lunamoth

Back