What do we know about God?

lunamoth said:
In a friendly way I ask you, What is the source of your being? What is the purpose of your life?
Source of my being? I don't understand that question sorry. As for purpose, I don't believe it exists outside our heads. I haven't set one. I can tell you my hopes and dreams if you like, but I don't think that's what you're looking for, is it?

Bandit said:
1) do you ever feel like leaning more one way than the other about God & other times the other direction? for example today it seems possible, tomorrow it it seems impossible.
or is it just always neutral with no fluxuation.?
Definite flux.

Mostly I find the idea preposterous. But when I ponder 'why anything?' and I start running into walls, the idea grows in appeal. Like most people I try to reason when possible. When I can't, for instance, wrap my head around space, time, energy, beginnings and such, and ontological dilemmas, I find myself wondering if something sparked 'everything' and if that thing might be the chap many call god. Again however, evidence lacks. I don't consider my own incredulity and limitations to be evidence of the god portrayed in the bible or anywhere else. Further, previous experience has taught me that a little bit of learning can resolve issues to my satisfaction. For instance, evolution (I know you're not a fan of this theory Bandit, but be assured that I'm not using it to annoy you). My father told me as a kid that animals evolved over time and that dinosaurs may even have become birds. I thought him mad. I then studied the fields of biology dealing with evolution and it made sense to me. It clicked.

bandit said:
2) it seems there is a revealing request & evidence required. is that correct?
if so, what type of revealing would be required from you to know & be sure, & would you require more than one?
NOTE: i am thinking God could be revealed in different ways to different people & more than one way, depending on how receptive one is. (not sure)
I would like to know the truth, and evidence is vital to me. In terms of revelation I'm not sure. I guess an all powerful deity will have a sufficient imagination and ability to convince me if it seeks to. Re-alligning the stars would be good, since it is obviously difficlut to fake. Maybe this god could simply implant the knowledge into my brain. The second option also seems like the easiest for me. :D

bandit said:
again, thank you for the replies, because this means a lot to me.
I hope this helps then.

Jaiket said:
Source of my being? I don't understand that question sorry. As for purpose, I don't believe it exists outside our heads. I haven't set one. I can tell you my hopes and dreams if you like, but I don't think that's what you're looking for, is it?

Yeah, it is kind of a fuzzy question, the source of your being part. Do you think there is anything more to yourself than a physical body run by chemical reactions and electric impluses? If not do you think it is possible to have free will?

As for purpose, even if it is just in your head that's pretty much all of reality for you anyway, so do you think there is a meaning to your life other than to survive as comfortably as possible? If you have dreams and aspirations, why?

I was agnostic for a long long time and during that time pretty much did not think about these questions too deeply. I guess it is the why questions and really a practical look at my life going along "rudderless" on the God question that made me look at religion again. Agnostic is the most logical position to take. But that does not necessarily make it the best. And atheism takes just as much faith in the untestable as theism does. It finally came to point where I decided to decide and belief seemd the much more positive and fulfilling choice. Little did I know that taking that step was like fanning a tiny flame that I never knew existed in me.

cheers,
lunamoth

Jaiket said:
Definite flux.

Mostly I find the idea preposterous. But when I ponder 'why anything?' and I start running into walls, the idea grows in appeal. Like most people I try to reason when possible. When I can't, for instance, wrap my head around space, time, energy, beginnings and such, and ontological dilemmas, I find myself wondering if something sparked 'everything' and if that thing might be the chap many call god. Again however, evidence lacks. I don't consider my own incredulity and limitations to be evidence of the god portrayed in the bible or anywhere else. Further, previous experience has taught me that a little bit of learning can resolve issues to my satisfaction. For instance, evolution (I know you're not a fan of this theory Bandit, but be assured that I'm not using it to annoy you). My father told me as a kid that animals evolved over time and that dinosaurs may even have become birds. I thought him mad. I then studied the fields of biology dealing with evolution and it made sense to me. It clicked.

I would like to know the truth, and evidence is vital to me. In terms of revelation I'm not sure. I guess an all powerful deity will have a sufficient imagination and ability to convince me if it seeks to. Re-alligning the stars would be good, since it is obviously difficlut to fake. Maybe this god could simply implant the knowledge into my brain. The second option also seems like the easiest for me. :D

I hope this helps then.

definate flux is a good sign my brother:)

actually evolution theory does not bother me. if it is ever proven then i will believe it. i think what we are seeing is you need some evidence to prove spiritual things & i need evidence to prove material things. in that we consider things to be truth because of evidence or lack of.

very interesting post i shall ponder awhile. i will put in a request to rearrange the stars for ya.:)
no further questions at this time your honor.

Awaiting_the_fifth said:
Maybe I can answer that one.

I will give you a description of the process I went through in abandoning my belief in God. It is not an easy process to get through (at least it was not for me) but sometimes, it has to be done.

Step 4
Look at the world around you and make up your own mind.

In my experience, it was only when I managed to get over my faith that I finally acknowledged that we know nothing about God except what we invent in our own minds.

Just my opinion.

Peace
ATF

thanks ATF. number four i can relate to. kind of like rehab? if i follow the other steps that would be more effort for me than sticking with what i already have come to know. IOW- it is impossible for me to do.:)

lunamoth said:
Do you think there is anything more to yourself than a physical body run by chemical reactions and electric impluses? If not do you think it is possible to have free will?
I am inclined to go for 'no' on both counts.

lunamoth said:
If you have dreams and aspirations, why?
Honestly, I am not sure.

lunamoth said:
And atheism takes just as much faith in the untestable as theism does.
My experience has suggested a lack of belief in the untestable is not as big a leap as belief in the untestable. I am an atheist because I see no reason meriting belief in deities, I didn't employ faith to reach this answer.

lunamoth said:
It finally came to point where I decided to decide and belief seemd the much more positive and fulfilling choice. Little did I know that taking that step was like fanning a tiny flame that I never knew existed in me.
Well if it's there and if it's true I am sure I'll find it at some stage.

The little dialog between lunamoth and jaiket is interesting. One (luna) seems to reach, the other (jaiket) seems to wait.

Luna, are you reaching for what you want to be there? I know I've done that before.

Jaiket, are you waiting for evidence? I've done that, too.

I wonder if the answer lies in Schrodinger's Paradox. The physicist explained one of the basic principles of quantum mechanics by use of this thought experiment.

Put a cat in a box, sealed so that it cannot be observed (but can breathe). Along with the cat put a vial of poisonous gas that can be broken open by a device triggered by the decay of a radioactive isotope.

The decay could take place at any time, but not at a specified time.

Question: After a given period of time, is the cat dead or alive?

Answer: It is both. Both states exist simultaneously. It is the "act of observation" that causes the waveform (both states) to collapse into a single state reality.

Do we get what we want to see in the box? Is each person's heaven or hell what they construct here on earth?

And is the "God is/isn't" quantum waveform something that collapses into a single state only when we observe what's in the box?

My head is spinning.

peace,

press (who just wants to know what he should believe.)

Thank you for your reply, Jaiket. It is a pleasure conversing with you. I guess I can see how atheism, at least a soft atheism, could be a default position in the absence of scientific evidence, if that is the only cirteria that will satisfy. I'm pretty sure my father looks at things the same way as you do. It's cliche to say so, but science fails to answer the 'why' questions (why am I here? why do I love?). For a long time I figured I was a faith-challenged person. I did not have a blind faith, I could not relate to people who expressed faith (by their words, anyway). I figured that if there was a God He had more or less left me out of the loop. Obviously that has changed. :)
cheers,
lunamoth

presser_kun said:
Luna, are you reaching for what you want to be there? I know I've done that before.

(who just wants to know what he should believe.)

Hi press, I think of it more as working on a relationship with God, Whom I know is there. But I will mediate on your question a bit more and perhaps I can expound upon that. Or not... :)

Keep asking your questions press.

peace,
lunamoth

lunamoth said:
I will mediate on your question a bit more and perhaps I can expound upon that. Or not... :)

Keep asking your questions press.

peace,
lunamoth

Thank you. I value your thoughts and opinions quite a bit.

press

presser_kun said:
Thank you. I value your thoughts and opinions quite a bit.

press

That's nice of you to say, but really there is nothing I could ever share with you that would be of greater value than your own search.

One analogy I like, and I think I've said it before in this forum, is that faith and reason move together as in a dance when it comes to knowing God. To us it will seem to be a point when we make a conscious choice to believe in God, to have faith, but in reality it is the Spirit moving us when we make that decision. The Spirit may be taking the lead, but if our will does not move, no one dances.

So, from my experience, we simply choose to believe, we choose to dance. We can rationalize it out in various ways to back up that choice, but one way or another you decide that God Is. And you decide to live your life as if you believe God Is, which means you decide to live your life in love and trust. Not that 'magical' things are going to happen to you for believing, nor that you are going to gain some kind of special protection or favors and place in heaven. I frankly don't think it works that way. But, deciding to live your life in love and trust and faith will change you, and this is what I think salvation is, or at least part of it.

There is a Baha'i saying, and I've seen the same thought reflected in the Bible, in the Pslams, but I don't recall off-hand where, and it captures perfectly the dance of faith and our relationship with God:

O Son of Being! Love Me that I may lovest Thee. If thou lovest Me not, My love can in no wise reach thee. Know this, O servant.

To know God is to love God. To love God is to open ourselves to His Love and become a channel for His love into the world. If you believe this it will change your life.

best wishes,
lunamoth

Quahom1 said:
We "know" we are made in His image and likeness. We "know" there is nothing we can not accomplish (though not always for the better). We "know" we were originally not supposed to die, then our lives were limited to 900 years, then 120 years, then 70 years, due to our corruptness.

I say "know" because that is what scripture says, and not secular historical evidence...

Now, we know, the human body is designed to last at least 120 years (in a perfect environment), that part is based on scientific evidence. We know that our genes have "trigger" that trips after a certain time, that tells our body to stop regenerating at the youthful pace we started with. We believe it is nature's way for making room for the next generation.

Finally, we know we are a highly complex composite of organisms combined to support us, or our essense. And we still can't explain satisfactorily through science why or how we developed to this state and level.

The explaination of God is not detailed enough, and the explaination of Science is not yet sufficient.

Either way we are still dealing with mysteries...;)

my thoughts

v/r

Q
i dont think the bible tells us in genesis that 120 years is mans age limit , it is telling noah that there will be 120 years more untill the flood , but i do agree that the bible tells us that 70 or 80 years is about it , (psalm 90;10)at the momment that is.

lunamoth said:
Not that 'magical' things are going to happen to you for believing, nor that you are going to gain some kind of special protection or favors and place in heaven. I frankly don't think it works that way. But, deciding to live your life in love and trust and faith will change you, and this is what I think salvation is, or at least part of it.

There is a Baha'i saying, and I've seen the same thought reflected in the Bible, in the Pslams, but I don't recall off-hand where, and it captures perfectly the dance of faith and our relationship with God:

O Son of Being! Love Me that I may lovest Thee. If thou lovest Me not, My love can in no wise reach thee. Know this, O servant.

To know God is to love God. To love God is to open ourselves to His Love and become a channel for His love into the world. If you believe this it will change your life.

I have to disagree with you somewhat on this one, lunamoth. It is the very trust and belief in God that will bring the Love of God into your life. Believing in God does have reward. I've seen too many amazing things happen in my life and the lives of other that seem too coincidental to believe they are products of chance. I'm not talking about parting seas or hands restored, but God shows up in the little things.

For example: I've been praying for a raise on my job for 2 1/2 years now, since I started working there. One Sunday a couple of weeks ago, there was a guest preacher at our church who talked about keeping a prayer journal and how some wonderful things happened to him as a result. So I decided to start a prayer journal myself and naturally one of the things I included in it was my prayer for that raise.

Four days after I started the journal, guess what? Yep, I got that raise.

Maybe it's not a full blown miracle, but I think that God does hear us and knows what we need. I'm no one special, I'm not perfect by any means, and I don't claim to have the corner on God (indeed, I think He is getting the corner on me). But I trust God all the time for my needs (and wants, though like a wise father, sometimes the answer is no).

Lunamoth, I absolutely agree on the last part, about God's Love. It is this Love that will bring us to the realization that God Is. It is God's Love that will save us, not just from some kind of actual hell, but the hell that we make for ourselves in this world. It is God's Love that will teach us to love others as He Loves us. Surely, this is the ultimate goal for His creation, to learn to love with a Love that is not ours. I've learned to love people who I would NEVER thought I could love, only because God gave me the strength and means to forgive them and love them as they are. That is the greatest challenge for me, because all the hurt I've experienced in the past from certain individuals had been damaging to my soul. And the bitterness and anger I had for these people had eaten me up inside. But, you see, God's Love as enabled me to release that anger and bitterness and allowed me to forgive those who hurt me and seek forgiveness from those I have hurt. That's the "magical thing" if I ever heard one.

Dondi said:
I've seen too many amazing things happen in my life and the lives of other that seem too coincidental to believe they are products of chance. <snip>

For example: I've been praying for a raise on my job for 2 1/2 years now, since I started working there. One Sunday a couple of weeks ago, there was a guest preacher at our church who talked about keeping a prayer journal and how some wonderful things happened to him as a result. So I decided to start a prayer journal myself and naturally one of the things I included in it was my prayer for that raise.

Is it possible that you got the raise because of hard work or good performance?

If God gave you the raise because you started keeping the journal, will he withhold good things if you stop?

This sounds like superstition to me.

I know this seems harsh. As a matter of fact, I used to think the same way you do, Dondi.

You can easily reply that every miracle can be explained in rational terms of some sort, but that it's the way you see the event that matters.

This seems like a refusal to face the facts to me.

If God gave you a raise because you started keeping the journal, then if you get a parking space close to the front of the shopping mall, is that God's doing? How about the fact that you narrowly avoided a heart attack because God led you to choose one breakfast cereal over another, and that was the event that started you on the new path toward health?

Where do you stop? At what point is it superstition instead of faith?

Again, sorry to be harsh. I only want to know the truth. In fact, I don't think it's wrong to say (and I do say in my own life) that truth is more important than anything else. Even more important than any belief I hold. Even belief in God.

Well, those are my thoughts. I'll be interested to see your response.

peace,

press

Dondi said:
I have to disagree with you somewhat on this one, lunamoth. It is the very trust and belief in God that will bring the Love of God into your life. Believing in God does have reward. I've seen too many amazing things happen in my life and the lives of other that seem too coincidental to believe they are products of chance. I'm not talking about parting seas or hands restored, but God shows up in the little things.

Maybe it's not a full blown miracle, but I think that God does hear us and knows what we need. I'm no one special, I'm not perfect by any means, and I don't claim to have the corner on God (indeed, I think He is getting the corner on me). But I trust God all the time for my needs (and wants, though like a wise father, sometimes the answer is no).

Lunamoth, I absolutely agree on the last part, about God's Love. It is this Love that will bring us to the realization that God Is. It is God's Love that will save us, not just from some kind of actual hell, but the hell that we make for ourselves in this world. It is God's Love that will teach us to love others as He Loves us. Surely, this is the ultimate goal for His creation, to learn to love with a Love that is not ours. I've learned to love people who I would NEVER thought I could love, only because God gave me the strength and means to forgive them and love them as they are. That is the greatest challenge for me, because all the hurt I've experienced in the past from certain individuals had been damaging to my soul. And the bitterness and anger I had for these people had eaten me up inside. But, you see, God's Love as enabled me to release that anger and bitterness and allowed me to forgive those who hurt me and seek forgiveness from those I have hurt. That's the "magical thing" if I ever heard one.

Dondi, I agree that God hears our prayers and I also believe all of what you say about your prayer journal. And I absolutly agree that you have had assistance in your life, loving and forgiving. I have too but I hesitate to discuss it because most people react as presser has, with disbelief. And it is too often that one hears the comeback, well, where was God when the Jews were praying in Auschwitz, or when my devout friend had cancer, or when I needed a job? It is a blessing to recognize God moving and being in our life, even when things are going as badly as they did for Job. Thus, I focus on the relationship and transformation, and pray with the knowledge that God hears and cares about me whether or not things go the way I want them to. And, if you listen, God does reply.

lunamoth

mee said:
i dont think the bible tells us in genesis that 120 years is mans age limit , it is telling noah that there will be 120 years more untill the flood , but i do agree that the bible tells us that 70 or 80 years is about it , (psalm 90;10)at the momment that is.

Better go back to your bible, and check again...

lunamoth said:
I absolutly agree that you have had assistance in your life, loving and forgiving. I have too but I hesitate to discuss it because most people react as presser has, with disbelief.

As I said in my last post, lunamoth, I don't mean to be harsh, though, to a believer, how else can what I said seem?

The thing is, I want, really want, to believe.

Really.

Wish I could get past my frustrating "faith" in logic . . .

press

presser_kun said:
As I said in my last post, lunamoth, I don't mean to be harsh, though, to a believer, how else can what I said seem?

Really.

press

Logic states that a man can calculate "Pi" to infinity...

Care to try?;)

v/r

Q

Quahom1 said:
Logic states that a man can calculate "Pi" to infinity...

Care to try?;)

v/r

Q

Dear Q:

Logic doesn't state this. Mathematicians, however state that Pi is an infinite decimal, not that a man can calculate it into infinity.

Here are exerpts from:

http://mathforum.org/dr.math/faq/faq.pi.html

---------------------
Pi is an infinite decimal. Unlike numbers such as 3, 9.876, and 4.5, which have finitely many nonzero numbers to the right of the decimal place, pi has infinitely many numbers to the right of the decimal point. If you write pi down in decimal form, the numbers to the right of the 0 never repeat in a pattern.

Some infinite decimals do have patterns - for instance, the infinite decimal .3333333... has all 3's to the right of the decimal point, and in the number .123456789123456789123456789... the sequence 123456789 is repeated.

However, although many mathematicians have tried to find it, no repeating pattern for pi has been discovered - in fact, in 1768 Johann Lambert proved that there cannot be such a repeating pattern.

---------------------

All best,

press

presser_kun said:

Really.

press

Hi press, you are not being harsh, you are just saying how you see it. No worries about that.

A couple of questions. First, why do you want to believe? Second, what do you gain by deciding to seek truth without God?

OK, I will share a little bit more. I never set out to believe in God. I am a scientist (by training and by occupation, until I had children). My career was great, my marriage was/is good, my life was comfortable. But in spite of everything seeming to be going along smoothly I had a deep deep sense that I was not progressing, just treading water (until what?); I was going around aimlessly. A deep sense that I was not living up to my potential, but wasting my life. There were signs: I drank too much, I was stressed, not satisfied with my job (even though it was exactly where I should have been by all external measure), wanted a family but somehow could never get going on it (we have fertility issues). So on the surface things looked great, but inside I felt empty. But even when I came to this realization, the very last place I would have ever thought to look was God and religion. I was not a religious person, not even a 'spiritual' person. I looked to philosophy to fill that hole.

Well, I read the philosophers and the more I read, the more frustrated I became. They did not 'know' anything more than I did. Sure, they were intelligent and had dived deeper into reason about our existence much more than I ever had, but always at the bottom was...assumption. An assumption about who or what we are. I did not find it satisfying to adopt a worldview based upon someone else's assumptions. Yet, looking to myself I realized that I would never get past my Self, my ego (in retrospect, my false self).

I shared my disappointment and frustration over this with a colleague at work and he said he had gone through the same, but the only philosopher he ever could develop interest in was William James. He lent me The Varieties of Religious Experience. Also at the time, on the advice of a friend (a scientist) I had also started a little mediation routine (ala Deepek Chopra), but I still did not consider myself praying. If I ever formulated any small prayer during that time it was a simple "please thaw my heart," directed into the ether.

After that, I can't really pinpoint exactly what happened, but I decided to at least examine religion as a place that might hold what I was looking for. I worked in a laboratory that happened to be very unusual in that most of the scientists there were quite religious (two catholics, a few protestants, two Latter Day Saints, and a Baha'i). So, I started my investigation by reading and by asking my colleagues about their faith. The door back to my faith did not come from Christianity, but through the Baha'i Faith.

Long story short, once I opened my mind to the possibility that just perhaps science and materialism could not explain all that we are meant to be, I found the whole world opening up for me. I found direction and I found strength. Somewhere early along the line I stopped drinking, which has probably saved me from a life of alcoholism. I found gratitude and I found love. I found hope. I did the "experiment," and find the results conclusive.

I am still a scientist--we all are. It is right and natural that you should search for truth using reason and logic. But, as long as your criteria are limited to using science to understand your nature, you will never understand your nature beyond science.

apologies for the sermon,
lunamoth

Back