Mother Teresa

Postmaster said:
I do see where you coming from your correct. I don't think there is anything wrong with pointing these things out. I’m sure also in the Catholic faith Icon Worship is part of the faith and an understanding of a saints life, including the miracles they performed, in fact I know of Greek Orthodox saints that ask for faith in them and there miracles to people in dreams in order to get a saints help. There are many people out there that refuse to believe them of course. Profiteering out of saints like using them as tourist attractions and elaborating there miracles is of course negative and of what I see you pointing at.

Now, now, we aren't going after anyone's faith, catholic, orthodox, coptic, general or otherwise. People just want a piece of something tangible, sometimes. Surely you can understand that need in today's world. Doesn't make it right, just is. Mother Theresa understood this, as she dealt with it everyday. And she had the humor to deal with it...which makes her Humaness all the more wonderful! She took everything with a grain of "salt" as it were...even her death.

Yep I agree.. Everyone wants tangible proof nowadays, how materialistic.

Postmaster said:
Yep I agree.. Everyone wants tangible proof nowadays, how materialistic.

No...some need tangible proof. Others accept as is. ;)

Hi Everyone:)

I'm digging up this old thread because the other morning around two or three A.M., I could not sleep. This happens almost every morning these days, and the reason is that I wake up in excruciating pain due to a serious illness. I try very hard not to reach for medication except as a last resort. Sometimes I am successful, but most of the time, I take the medicine. Anyway, as part of my quest to manage this pain, I look for distractions. When the pain is so bad that I cannot move, then sometimes that distraction is the television. But that can be so frustrating, especially in the wee hours of the morning, when the programming is mostly advertising, old reruns of shows I didn't like the first time around, or the ongoing and ridiculous gala surrounding the lives of some of the so-called "rich" and famous in a world which not only abuses them, but also instructs it's victims and eagerly anticipates being abused in return.

But the other morning was different. I reached for the remote control, thinking maybe I would be fortunate enough to run across a good Star Trek Next Gen that I haven't seen, or maybe even a rousing session of Hardball with Chris Matthews. I've already seen all the stuff on The History Channel, and I could probably find my way around under any of the world's great cities now. :rolleyes: I figured I would likely just wind up, as usual, on the Soundscapes music channel. And in my pain, I cried out in silence for relief. For some reason I started at the very first of my menu, which I don't usually do, because so much of that in the early morning hours is filled with religious programming that I just can't stand to watch. My apologies if this offends anyone, but I can't help but see through some of the scams there, and it makes me sad and angry, and I certainly did not need that. But there on what I tend to think of as "the Catholic channel", was a documentary-style movie entitled simply "Mother Teresa". I thanked the Lord and pushed "enter".

It was the most inspiring thing I have seen on the telly in a very long time. I can't wait to meet this person, however all that works on the other side of this present existence. For now, I keep her here in my heart because she is one of the few real teachers in this world when it comes to putting God's gift of Love into action. She could not look upon suffering without responding in this Love. As I watched the account of her life unfold, I somehow felt as if I was there in Calcutta--one of the sick and suffering. It was almost like she had left some of this comfort and a bit of healing here for me and others to discover, and for that I thank God and I love this woman.

In my life, I have gone through some changes as everyone does. One of these changes has been that I used to subscribe to the idea that I should tell people they must recognize Christ in their lives in exactly the way I do in order to be "saved". I no longer believe that. I don't deny Christ--I could never do that, help me God. And I tell you the truth when I say that this is not easy sometimes, because I am surrounded by people every day who truly believe this and think that if I don't, I am going to hell right along with all the people I do not try to convince. But as much as I love these folks, and I see their good fruit and acts of Love, I also cannot discount the acts of this little nun who shines like a beacon in a world full of heartache and misery. I cannot fathom how anyone could think that because of the religious path she chose, that she is "going to hell". But I hear it all the time.

No, my dear lady of Calcutta, I believe you speak from the Wisdom of God's Love when you quietly say, "A Christian must be a good Christian, a Hindu must be a good Hindu, and a Muslim must be a good Muslim." Thank you, Mother Teresa.
40.gif

InPeace,
InLove

No, my dear lady of Calcutta, I believe you speak from the Wisdom of God's Love when you quietly say, "A Christian must be a good Christian, a Hindu must be a good Hindu, and a Muslim must be a good Muslim." Thank you, Mother Teresa.
40.gif

InPeace,
InLove

Seems to me your aligning to a new way of thought, one that could be quite truthful. That salvation comes from being a good human which ever way it comes about.

Postmaster said:
Seems to me your aligning to a new way of thought, one that could be quite truthful. That salvation comes from being a good human which ever way it comes about.
Actually, Postmaster, I have always thought in my heart-of-hearts that God was big and merciful enough to look into the same (the heart, soul, spirit) and discern what is there in His creation. After all, a God as loving as the One in Mother Teresa's heart and the One I read about in the accounts of Jesus Christ and in many other places surely must have room for those who obey the first two Commandments. I know it sounds like kindergarten thinking, but "the Bible tells me so". There are passages in there that can be debated until "kingdom come" ;), but when that kingdom comes, I'd rather be found acting in Love. We can experience a form of that kingdom right now by putting its precepts into action. So this is really nothing new for me, but I did go through a period of time when I fell into step (rather awkwardly, I'd say) with a more exclusivist view. But I am thankful that it did not last long.

Thank you for pulling this up. It occurred before I joined. Interesting reading.
I'm sorry you're hurting.

Thank you, Karen. I think I was quite emotional there in my ramblings. Sometimes we human beings just have to express our feelings. When I started writing that post, I meant to focus on Mother Teresa, but I see that I managed to bring more attention to myself than I intended. Pain is a perplexing companion. I like the account I read from one of the links here where Mother Teresa tells a woman that pain is just Jesus kissing her. The woman replies with thanks, but asked also that He stop. I can relate. :)

InPeace,
InLove

Back