A Naturalistic Approach to Karma & Rebirth

Namaste DT Strain,

thank you for the post.

DT Strain said:
Indeed, these passages of the Buddha are exactly what I was referring to in my article when I said that he was concerned with this life and this world, and why so many of the Buddhist concepts are applicable for the naturalist.

just to be clear, though the previously mentioned Sutta is focused on speculative views, that does not mean that Buddha Shakyamuni didn't teach regarding the Other Shore or practices applicable to both, to wit:

Here he rejoices
he rejoices hereafter.
In both worlds
the merit-maker rejoices.
He rejoices, is jubilant,
seeing the purity
of his deeds.

Here he delights
he delights hereafter.
In both worlds
the merit-maker delights.
He delights at the thought,
'I've made merit.'
Having gone to a good destination,
he delights
all the more.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/sutta/khuddaka/dhp/tb0/dhp-01-tb0.html#dhp-16

this is from the Dhammapada and is concerned with the value of making merit as the foundation of ones practice. many beings in the Western hemisphere tend to consider these sorts of practices to be lowly practice and want to move into the move advanced practices right away. in some sense, the practice of generating merit seems quite at odds with Buddhist practice, however, that is simply a mistake of perspective.

Buddha Shakyamuni continually warns that the higher practices cannot be practiced in a stable manner without the firm foundation of merit which consists of; generosity, virtue and meditation.

the interested reader is directed here:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/study/merit.html

for an indepth study guide on Buddhist merit, the reasons for it and the goal of it.

metta,

~v

Namaste DTSTrain,

thank you for the post.

yes, pretty much. generating merit is for all intents and purposes, the foundation of ones practice. thus, Buddhas recommend that sentient beings have a firm foundation upon which to build their practice.

generally speaking, generation of merit is outward actions reflecting internal mental states, as such, the specifics of generating merit are codified as "generosity, virtue and meditation".

meditation is clear enough for our discussion so i won't delve into it. generosity is, as it seems, the practice of being charitable with beings that are less fortunate than us, either in terms of material goods, foodstuffs and/or spiritual teachings and the like.

virtue is, for all intents and purposes, the practice of the 6 Paramitas with a particular emphasis on the ethical aspects of the teachings.

metta,

~v

Back