The heart is more powerful than the brain!

I saw the documentary.
I liked the argument that somehow we have intuitively given the heart the attribute of handling emotions, in many cultures and even today it is a very powerful metaphor of passion, as opposed to a plain pump.
For example ayurveda teaches that many mental faculties lie in the heart:

There are three main subdoshas that govern the health of the heart: they are
Vyana Vata, which is seated in the heart and governs the beating of the heart and the circulation of blood throughout the body; Sadhaka Pitta, which governs the emotions and their effect on heart functioning; and Avalambaka Kapha, which governs the structure, stability and strength of the heart.

It makes you think about the interconnectedness of emotions and the heart's function as a pump, in other words how different emotions will require different blood flows and vice versa.

of course ur heart feels nothing... it is as 17th says, just a pump... years ago, the peasants believed that the heart was where Jesus sat, in the left ventricle of the heart, waiting for u, but hey, he's not gonna fit, even as ash, is he?

the heart is not conscious, nor does it store consciousness.. it is an organ, like the liver, which is controlled via the brain via basic neural impulses from the autonomic nervous system, which the brain controls via the brain stem... no sophisticated cognitons here though, its the most primitive part of the brain, controls breathing, heart rate, etc, etc...

I wonder if they were describing, talking about the heart and the stomach registering feeling, chakras...

I wonder if they were describing, talking about the heart and the stomach registering feeling, chakras...

I kind of think that too. A few years ago I was in the end of a relationship, and we argued constantly. I would always get stomach pain to the point where I thought I was going to throw up. At that time, I very conveniently knew a woman who knew about chakras and all that and she taught me how to run my energy and clear out my chakras, etc. She said that the pain came from the fact that my arguments with this guy were really power struggles. I also get the pain when I watch a movie about something that I find horrible, but which I can't do anything about (ex: Hotel Rwanda) and she said it was because I feel something strongly and yet, I'm helpless, I have no power. The chakra at the solar plexus is associated with power. Clearing that chakra immediately takes that stomach pain away.

I can explain what I was taught. But I wonder if I should move this to a new thread? Any mod comments on that?

Our nervous system goes round our whole body. Ok, the brain does most of the thinking work, but it is possible that the entire system works like one big brain anyway, forming connections where it needs it, and making decisions without us knowing. Like pumping the heart faster, or surging those built-in drugs around like serotonin and adrenaline.

When it's possible to remember somebody's telephone number in your fingers without even being able to remember the number, or learn to read braille, it seems likely that the heart might have a little brain of it's own.

Also, consciousness can expand around the body, and if you can think of thoughts happening in your toes and fingers as well as your head, you can see that the feelings surrounded by the chakras are applicable psychologically, physically and spiritually.

seattlegal said:
How would your thinking ability be affected if an elephant stepped on your toe?

I love it! Could it indeed affect one's memory?

Methinks there may be a bit o' the bard in thee, seattlegal.:)

InPeace,
InLove

How would your thinking ability be affected if an elephant stepped on your toe?

It did a week ago, it was only a small elephant in the shape of a even smaller falling table. And I'm not a great thinker, gave up thinking at all a number of years ago.......so I really don't qualify, but can tell you the outward expression vocalised was... sh.......t ......................and the inner........ the ever expanding moment............... like ripples on water. Maybe those ripples reached some one else out in the universe too.

- c -

Thank you all for your replies! I was embarrassed about this thread as it got slammed down elsewhere! Maybe it is not so far fetched! The brain is just a load of nerves which have positive and negative acids - a bit like batteries – on either side of the cells membrane, so perhaps the whole nervous system 'thinks' in a manner. Ok so the main processor is in the brain but feeling is a form of thought Isn't it?

About pain; pain is subjective we can block it off to a degree mentally. just just because we can isolate areas of the brain with given functions, that doesn't mean that they only reside in the brain, it just means that the central processing function is in the brain.

Let us not forget about mind!!! this is not purely a function of the brain e.g. nuerons cannot observe, see, experience or feel, they just do the calculating and thats all the brain really is – a computer. We are the operator!

Back