Baha'i culture...art, film, literature

Re: "A Path to Peace" inspired by Baha'i Writings:

Russ Garcia is making more news - or rather a journalist is making news about Mr. Garcia!

See The Case of the Misplaced Oscar:

"…. So I went over to the site of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. There, I discovered that three Oscar statues for Limelight's score were awarded to Chaplin, Raymond Rasch (the credited arranger) and Larry Russell. Russ Garcia was not among the recipients. …"

Review of book about Alain Locke:

"Inquirer Book Critic

When Philadelphia-born Alain L. Locke (1885-1954), the first African American to win a Rhodes Scholarship, wrote home to his mother shortly after beginning undergraduate life at Harvard, he didn't exactly express solidarity with his few black student peers.
According to Leonard Harris and Charles Molesworth in their superb, eye-opening biography of the man they call "the most influential African American intellectual born between W.E.B. Du Bois and Martin Luther King, Jr.," Locke complained that he couldn't understand how his peers "come up here in a broad-minded place like this and stick together like they were in the heart of Africa."
Having grown up four blocks from Rittenhouse Square as a member of Philadelphia's free-born black elite - a community that, the authors write, "did not look with special indulgence on lower class people from any race" - Locke found many of his Harvard classmates "coarse," a flaw he believed his fellow black students compounded by their separatism.
"[By] common consent," Locke wrote to his mother about dining-room habits at Harvard, black students had "unanimously chosen to occupy a separate table together. Now what do you think of that? It's the same old lifelong criticism I shall be making against our people."
Like many a philosopher, Locke knew himself that his work would celebrate cultural pluralism, both philosophically and personally. That work is now seen as the fount, in African American thought, for what came to be called "multiculturalism." From his early postgraduate studies in Oxford and Berlin to his embrace of the Baha'i faith, vast collection of African art, and decades (from 1912 on) as a professor and head of Howard University's philosophy department, Locke more or less created the image of the black cosmopolitan emulated by black Americans from jazz artists to professors..."

Source:

A fine first biography of thinker Alain Locke | Philadelphia Inquirer | 02/05/2009

From the blog of Omid Djalili

NO LAUGHING MATTER
I need to bring to your attention the following disturbing news:
In May 2008 the Iranian Authorities arrested seven leaders of the Baha'i community on trumped up charges of 'espionage'. The Baha'i Faith is a peace loving world religion but has suffered a great deal of persecution at the hands of the Iranian government simply because they choose to practice their faith in a different way to the majority. It is feared that this week the seven will face very grave consequences. This of course, is unthinkable in this day and age but I assure you is a reality.

Some of you may know over 200 Baha'is were executed in the 1980s after the Islamic revolution, not to mention over 20,000 in the 19th Century. Already having been in prison for over 8 months (the men are in a cell with no beds which is a violation of their basic human rights) pressure groups and governments have voiced their concern with formal protests to the Iranian Government. I hope to add to the sense of public outcry with a press release on behalf of the comedy community to get this story the publicity it deserves.

My friend Rainn Wilson (an actor on the American version of The Office) has already written a piece for CNN (see below) and now I urge you to visit the Amnesty International website (see below) and register your complaint via e-mail or fax. Amnesty: http://iran.bahai.us/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/amnestyua-irany-0209.pdf
Recent press releases on behalf of other action groups as released through the Bahai's of the UK are here: http://bahainews-uk.info.

Spiritual hip-hop!

Tired of hearing rhymes about rims, hoes, and apparel? Here I have a great list of spiritual hip-hop for weary hip-hop radio headz!

The Baha'i Faith

Common Market

commonmarket

Blue Scholars

Blue Scholars - Super-Official Website

Fort Tabarsi

FORT TABARSI on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Islam

Various artists

MuslimHipHop.com - Islamic Music: Muslim Hip Hop, Islamic Nasheeds, Muslim Rap | 100% Halal Lyrics

Christianity

Lecrae

Reach Home

Braille

Braille on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Da T.R.U.T.H.

Da T.R.U.T.H. on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Anis Mojgani

Anis Mojgani, a Baha'i, is a poet. He has also shared his poetry on the def jam poetry stage. If you wish to see one of his spoken word performances, just click on the link above. There is some explicit language at the beginning of it.

Personally my favorite poem is the third one at the end called Shake the Dust. It reminds me of Jesus saying, "shake the dust" (Matt 10:14). I love the imagery in the poem; I usually think of dust piling up on antique desks, books, and so on. These are things that are hardly used. Later, he talks about not letting the waves of blood to settle and "the dust to collect in your veins." The "dust" can be anything in our lives that we might let wear us down to the point where we feel useless. Shake the dust!!! That is my interpretation.

anismojgani.jpg

Lasse Thoreson Norwegian composer

Lasse Thoresen

Norway

CBH01.gif

Lasse Thoresen, professor of composition at the Norwegian State Academy of Music, is one of Europe's outstanding contemporary composers. He has had works commissioned by all the major Norwegian Philharmonic Orchestras and the French National Radio, among others. He was the music festival composer/composer in residence for the 1996 Bergen International Music Festival in Norway.

I would say that most classical or "serious" music is a language -- a nonverbal language -- in which profound meanings can be found. I would say that in the music of the great European masters -- Josquin, Monteverdi, Bach, Haydn, Beethoven, Schubert, Bruckner, Brahms, Messiaen, to mention some of my favorites -- one can really find mysteries embodied in metaphors of structured sound. These composers communicate through a language that requires that the listener be willing to exert himself. The language has to be learned; more or less concealed meanings have to be found and interpreted. It is like the Bahá'í writings : they are not something you understand without making an effort and diving into them. Music -- like the writings -- rewards your efforts by revealing meaning after meaning, delight after delight, though not until you have given it devoted attention for some time. When people feel they understand a piece of music -- particularly one without a text, for example a symphony or a sonata, they have proven themselves capable of understanding a nonverbal message.

Music can thus be a means for developing an individual's capability for understanding nonverbal messages. This capability is essential for any religious individual, since the holy writings tend to express their meanings through symbols and metaphors, images rather than abstract concepts. Bahá'u'lláh uses a very poetic language by which He evokes wonderful images and inner vistas. In order to understand these images and draw on the spiritual power they can release, we must first of all call forth these images from our imagination -- using our inner senses rather than the outward ones. Thus, when Bahá'u'lláh speaks of "rustling of the Divine Lote-Tree and the murmur of the breezes of thine utterance in the Kingdom of Thy Names," He suggests auditive impressions that we can imagine internally.

Source:

Profiles

Dan Seals passed on March 25th

Dan Seals passed away March 25, 2009, following a valiant struggle with mantle cell lymphoma. He leaves behind thousands of fans, countless friends and a loving family. He enjoyed a musical career which spanned four decades and included hit records both as a member of pop duo England Dan and John Ford Coley, and as a solo country artist. In 1986 he won Country Music Association Awards for "Bop" and "Meet Me in Montana." He will forever be remembered for his gentle smile, easy going demeanor, his enduring faith and endless generosity.

Much of Seals’s character can be traced to his faith. Seeking to promote the international unity of all people, he participated in the 50th anniversary Voice of America show in Washington, D.C., in 1992. Later the same year Seals traveled to the remote town of Alma-Ata, located in what was once the Soviet republic of Kazakhstan, in order to attend the Voice of Asia Festival. Brotherhood was also the theme of the single “We Are One” on his Walking the Wire album, released in 1992. Seals was quoted as saying in the Tennessean, “We’re all members of the human race…. If we were unified with each other we could knock out the problems in the world a lot quicker.”

YouTube - One Friend -Dan Seals

Interview with Fariburz Sahba re. Lotus Temple:

Lotus Temple communicates with people, says architect

Sukalp Sharma Posted: Mar 31, 2009 at 0119 hrs IST

Print Email Feedback Discuss

New Delhi: With its concrete petals and beautiful gardens, the Baha’i House of Worship or the Lotus Temple, is today a part of the identity of not only Delhi but also of India. It attracts more than 35 lakh visitors every year and has won numerous prestigious architectural awards.

It’s not surprising, therefore, that Fariburz Sahba (61), its architect, thinks of Delhi as his second home. “This temple is like a child to me. In fact, I have spent more time on it than I might have with my children,” he says with a smile.
When asked as to how he feels when he sees people flocking to the Lotus Temple even after 22 years, he says: “It feels good. I feel this happens when a building communicates with the people. The thing I like most is that people from various religions come here with a lot of respect in their hearts.”
Explaining his reasons for modelling the structure on the lotus, Sahba says: “The teachings of the Baha’i faith are unity of God, unity of religion and unity of mankind, and these had to be reflected in the structure. The lotus is seen as a divine flower by most religions and is also the symbol of purity. We also wanted the temple to be unique and modern.”

I posted Baha'i Radio and Baha'i TV but it didn't work for some reason

Youth Art project brings citation..

Youth art project brings citation for Nunavut resident

26 April 2009
IQALUIT, Nunavut, Canada —

Beth McKenty moved to sparsely populated northeast Canada – to Iqaluit on Baffin Island – in 1999 to fulfill a pledge, made 45 years earlier, to devote part of her life to reducing youth suicide.
Within two weeks of arriving she had begun a project to help children build self-esteem by exploring their creativity. The Arctic Youth Art Initiative has since grown to involve hundreds of children.
Ms. McKenty's efforts were acknowledged this month when she was one of 75 individuals from across Canada named as recipients of the Caring Canadian Awards for 2009. Created in 1996 by the Canadian Governor General, the award is presented to individuals and groups whose unpaid, voluntary contributions over a number of years provide extraordinary help or care to people in their community.
It has been a long and often surprising road for Ms. McKenty from her birthplace of Snowflake, Manitoba, to Iqaluit, population 7,200 and the capital of the Nunavut territory. In addition to several decades in Wisconsin, where she worked as a freelance journalist and raised a family, she has lived in Japan, China, and Russia, and she has taught at the Navajo College at Tsaile, Arizona, in the United States.
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  • 711_02_nunatsiaqnews.jpg

The young people are offered space and materials for their work, but Beth McKenty says she "never really instructed these children." (Photo copyright 2004… »
  • 711_01_nunatsiaqnews.jpg

Beth McKenty, left, was nearly 70 years old when she started the art program a decade ago. (Photo copyright 2004 Nunatsiaq News. Used with permission.)
  • 711_03_ooleepeekaipeelieetc.jpg

These works were created by Ooleepeeka Ipeelie and Seepoola Innuaraq during their participation in the Arctic Youth Art Initiative. (Photo courtesy the Baha'i… »
Enlarge images

"I started out on a farm in Manitoba, one of seven children," she said. "My father was from pioneer stock and a veteran who served at Vimy Ridge. My mother, a nurse, was an Icelandic immigrant. We grew up in a home with an openness to the whole world.
"In 1954, my younger brother took his own life. One way I dealt with the anguish was to make a promise to myself that some day, somehow, I would do something to help reduce youth suicide."
It was the day of her brother's funeral that she first heard of the Baha'i Faith. As she learned of Baha'u'llah's world-embracing principle of unity, she felt it matched the values she had grown up with. A life of Baha'i activity has followed.
"I was so busy and the years went by, but my plan always included fulfilling my promise to my brother," she said. "Then in 1999, two things happened simultaneously. I read that the rate of youth suicide in newly formed Nunavut was seven times the Canadian average. Around the same time, I attended the Baha'i National Convention in Montreal where I learned of opportunities for service in the Arctic. Here was my chance."
By October, she had moved into Baha'i House in Iqaluit, located on the Arctic tundra not too far south of the Arctic circle.
'I came with a purpose'
"I came with a purpose but didn't have a method," she said. "Earlier, I had had my own artist's studio for two years and had brought my paints with me to Iqaluit. Two weeks after getting there, I heard some strange sounds and discovered two boys trying to throw stones over the house, but missing. I opened the door and asked if they'd like to come in for hot chocolate.
"Since I'd been painting, I asked them if they would like to paint, too. I explained that with red, yellow, and blue they could mix any color except white. They were shy but accepted. I was astounded at what they could paint. Their work was so northern. The wonderful heritage of the Inuit was evident in these children. They returned later with one or two friends. That's how this project began.
"I never really instructed these children. I just facilitated by providing a space and good quality materials. In addition to the painting, the children enjoy games, prizes, lunch, and occasional 'multiple' birthday parties."
Although located in Baha'i House, the project is separate from Baha'i gatherings and is offered as a service to the community. Little by little, a special format developed with greeting time followed by preparation of palettes, brushes, paper, and paint for each child.
"I soon learned," Ms. McKenty recalled, "that it matters to give exactly the same amount of materials to each child as they intently watch the preparation. I ask for six or seven minutes of silence at the beginning of painting. I've learned talking disturbs the creative moment. Often, silence continues a long time as the young artists become absorbed in what they are creating."

Read more at

Youth art project brings citation for Nunavut resident

From Australia Siamak Fallah!

A SMALL camp bed and words are the weapons used by Adelaide artist Siamak Fallah to counter injustice.

0,,6602365,00.jpg

His new show, Labaik Labaik (Here I Am, Here I Am ), is an intensely personal work and an exercise in physical and mental endurance, with thousands of words hand-written on the walls of the Contemporary Art Centre.
Fallah set a deadline of two weeks to complete the task, transcribing in English a short essay on love by 19th century Baha'i faith founder Baha'u'llah, over and over again.
The text is contained in floor-to-ceiling Persian numerals drawn by the artist, who worked his way through the book in faint lead pencil six times. When cramp set in, or he was too tired to go home, Fallah retreated to the bed set up in the gallery. ``I'm a member of the Baha'i faith,'' he says.
``I did this show because I wanted to deal with some very difficult issues in a positive way.''
At the age of 18, Fallah left Iran with his sister to escape the state-endorsed persecution of followers of Baha'i. They arrived in Australia as refugees a few months later.
``I had to go to war and I didn't want to go to war, which was considered very unpatriotic,'' he says of the ordeal.
``As well, in Iran people of Baha'i faith aren't allowed to attend university and they have various other restrictions imposed upon them. They're under immense pressure.''
Now aged 42, Fallah says not a lot has changed for Baha'is in Iran. Recently he was denied a passport to return as part of his research for the CAC exhibition because of issues around his departure all those years ago.
Fallah's parents moved to Adelaide with another sister 14 years after his arrival. However, he still has a brother in Iran. ``He said not to go because it isn't safe,'' Fallah says.

He wanted to film formal gardens tended by Baha'is in Iran. However, he was able to visit similar Baha'i gardens in Israel and his films from that trip form part of the exhibition.

Fallah says the text on the walls of the CAC sits comfortably within the Persian numerals. ``There's no struggle at all,'' he says. ``I'm trying to address the notion of oneness.''

Meanwhile, the gardens, raised from parched earth on impossible slopes, are a comment in themselves.

``The fact that people have been able to turn a mountainside into a garden is testament to the fact that reform is possible,'' Fallah says.
``And reform is needed the world over.''
What: Labaik Labaik (Here I Am, Here I Am )
When: Until May 24
Where: Contemporary Art Centre

Source:

AdelaideNow... Fallah's leap of faith

Baha'i author Homa Sabet Tavangar...

In her new book Growing Up Global: Raising Children to Be At Home in the World, Baha'i author Homa Sabet Tavangar features several Chicago programs as examples of how parents can give their children a vital global perspective.
Homa.JPG

The trade paperback, published by Ballantine Books, went on sale on August 25, 2009.
Ms. Tavangar, an international business consultant and mother of three, was in Chicago over the Labor Day weekend and spoke about her book at the Academy of Global Citizenship, 4647 West 47th Street and at the Baha'i Temple in Wilmette. The AGC is a new Chicago charter school, founded as part of the Mayor Daley's Renaissance 2010 program, and is featured in the book as one of several charter schools in the city that are fostering a sense of world citizenship for their children.
The Baha'i Faith strongly emphasizes the need for a global ethic. Baha’is believe that attaining a just, sustainable and peaceful world order is not just possible, but inevitable–the next stage in humanity’s collective social evolution. However, humanity is facing unprecedented challenges that cannot be solved without a global outlook and unity of thought and purpose among peoples of all races, nations and ethnicities. Baha’u’llah wrote, “The well-being of mankind, its peace and security, are unattainable unless and until its unity is firmly established.”
The book provides parents with the creative ideas and strategies for global parenting, and highlights several Chicago-based programs, including..

(to read more go to:

Baha'i author highlights Chicago as great place to raise global-minded kids

Back