Dhammapada, first line

taijasi

Gnōthi seauton
Reaction score
I am convinced that just about the worst thing we can do in life, is send one (man's) god against another. Who do we expect to win these wars, anyway?

taijasa

AllFaiths.jpg

taijasi said:
I am convinced that just about the worst thing we can do in life, is send one (man's) god against another. Who do we expect to win these wars, anyway?

taijasa

View attachment 282

I guess I agree, but (thinking out loud) in declaring such, arent we sending our God against other peoples?

Love that picture in your post.

One of the biggest chuckles I get is the picture of a Minister saying a prayer in a locker room prior to a sporting event.

As if G-d picks sides in these things (everyone knows he plays the spread)

But one of my favorite pictures is at the end of the event when some members from both sides are together on their knees, or have linked hands in a circle....

I always wonder how folks decide which religious symbols to include in these medalions....the interesting add to this one is the ankh

Hmmm ... I dunno, cavalier. To an extent, yes, maybe we can't help it. (Or I can't, from time to time.)

But I like to do a lot of affirming, that `Truth is One, paths are many' (kind of what the image represents, to me).

Meanwhile, the crusades continue. They may have been contained, somewhat, to the astral and mental planes ... but the conflict continues.

I think there are folks here - myself included - who almost cannot help but tap into the maelstrom, or respond to various aspects of the battle, from time to time. Part of it is individual rayology (Ray makeup). I'm a 4th ray person ... `Harmony through conflict.' Sometimes plenty of it, too. :p

I suspect it also has something to do with various cycles (lunar astrological, solar astrological, and so on). For example, there are the lunar Virgo energies, concerned with birthing, both spiritual and material, prevalent now ... and for another week or so. There are also the ebbing Piscean energies, which continue to provoke a reactionary response ... and we are all subject to this, though some more so than others.

Meanwhile Uranian energies (and Neptunian), coming in with Aquarius, have already had a tremendous impact on the planet, and the effects in the spiritual and intellectual worlds is extremely unsettling to many of us. Ray 6 people, in terms of esoteric astrology, are deeply affected by this transition. A "tree-hugger," a Buddhist, those with Pagan & Earth-based inclinations, and many an esotericist ... will react much more positively to the incoming Ray 7. But conservatives of every religion, and those who desperately cling to the older values - are shaken up or confused by the present changes, and the birthing process is quite understandably a painful one. :(

I have a very poor understanding of astrology, though I'm seeking to change that. I do think I'm beginning to understand Luke 22:10 ...
And he said unto them, Behold, when ye are entered into the city, there shall a man meet you, bearing a pitcher of water; follow him into the house where he entereth in. :)
Christ as Piscean Avatar, Christ as Aquarian Avatar, and in fact, Christ as Universal Avatar ... this is very similar, in my understanding, to Kasyapa Buddha, Shakyamuni Buddha, Maitreya Buddha - and Adi Buddha (Primordial Buddha). I'm waiting to see what is said on another forum, but if the Muslim Imam Mahdi is also equivalent, and the Hindu Kalki Avatara, then the implications are profound, imho.

A patchwork quilt, a spiritual moasic, begins to come together. Not only are there different ways, in each religion, for referring to the same exact being (Savior, Redeemer, Liberator, Avatar, Teacher), but what's more, He's not the first, nor the last, to appear on the scene.

It brings to mind these lyrics, from one of my favorite bands. Which gets back to the seed idea:
Moody Blues[SIZE=+0]
I'm Just A Singer (In A Rock And Roll Band)

I'm just a wandering on the face of this earth
Meeting so many people
Who are trying to be free
And while I'm traveling I hear so many words

Language barriers broken
Now we've found the key
And if you want the wind of change
To blow about you
And you're the only other person to know, don't tell me
I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band.

A thousand pictures can be drawn from one word
Only who is the artist
We got to agree
A thousand miles can lead so many ways

Just to know who is driving
What a help it would be
So if you want this world of yours
To turn about you
And you can see exactly what to do
Please tell me

How can we understand
Riots by the people for the people
Who are only destroying themselves
And when you see a frightened
Person who is frightened by the
People who are scorching this earth.

I'm just a wandering on the face of this earth
Meeting so many people
Who are trying to be free
And while I'm traveling I hear so many words

Language barriers broken
Now we've found the key
And if you want the wind of change
To blow about you
And you're the only other person to know, don't tell me

How can we understand
Riots by the people for the people
Who are only destroying themselves
And when you see a frightened
Person who is frightened by the
People who are scorching this earth.

Music is the traveller crossing our world
Meeting so many people bridging the seas
We're just the singers in a rock and roll band.
I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band...
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+0]Love and Light,

andrew
[/SIZE]

wil said:
I always wonder how folks decide which religious symbols to include in these medalions....the interesting add to this one is the ankh
Yes, I like it for that reason, and others. Stumbled across it quite accidentally, while looking for the image of Pallas Athena. And best of all, the site is encouraging the use, and reproduction, of this graphic. The site is: http://www.peaceful-spirit.org/index.html

(and here)

It's really a beautiful site! :)

I've worn a sterling ankh around my neck for about 10 years now. And I'd wear the ring to match it, if the thin silver band hadn't broken. I'm kind of an Akenaten fan ...

andrew

added: Oh, check out this site, too! http://www.onegodsite.net/

taijasi said:
Hmmm ... I dunno, cavalier. To an extent, yes, maybe we can't help it.

True enough.
I guess I've got a bee in my bonnet about liberals attacking hard-liners.
Not that I'm saying that's what you do, just that perhaps this bee is making me think too much.

cavalier said:
True enough.
Not that I'm saying that's what you do, just that perhaps this bee is making me think too much.
What, me attack a hard-liner? Of course not! :rolleyes:

Yes, as a matter of fact, it was largely self-reflection which prompted my initial post. :eek:

And I was rambling on in another forum, I think the one on the Tower of Babel, immediately afterward. You might check that forum out, maybe see the post I made. Concerns gender, and conceptions of Deity ... which for me, has everything to do with Babel. And also dialogue.

andrew

cavalier said:
True enough.

Cav:
It is impossible to think too much ! Bite your tongue you naughty boy !

flow....;)

taijasi said:
And I was rambling on in another forum, I think the one on the Tower of Babel, immediately afterward. You might check that forum out, maybe see the post I made. Concerns gender, and conceptions of Deity ... which for me, has everything to do with Babel. And also dialogue.

Yes, I've just seen it.
I would agree that God must be beyond gender. Therefore terms like hermaphrodite and andorgyne cannot apply, since to use them would be to define God through gender.
What's at the top of the tower? We are, but we wont know that till we get up there.

Hmmm...Seattlegal....that pdf image just solved a mystery from another thread, didn't it?

taijasi--great thread!

I just realized that my last post might sound a little cryptic. Didn't mean to do that. I was referring to "Old White Man In a Robe" thread here on this board. That image came up there, but only part of it. Now I am able to see the rest, and so, for me some of the mystery is solved.:)

Anyway, I am enjoying reading through the links posted here on this thread.

InPeace,
InLove

Hi everyone,

"Dhammapada, first line"......errrr......how does this relate to what you're all talking about please??? I'm having a real lights are on but there's nobody home attack here I think:) :confused:

Snoopy.

Snoopy said:
Hi everyone,

"Dhammapada, first line"......errrr......how does this relate to what you're all talking about please??? I'm having a real lights are on but there's nobody home attack here I think:) :confused:

Snoopy.
Snoopy,

I'll respond, since I started this thread. It came in a moment of quasi-relation. "All we are, is the result of what we think." The Buddha explains the Law of Karma, of Cause and Effect, and spells out that if we think positive thoughts, we build a positive future - for ourselves and others.

Even the Dalai Lama points out that from a personal, self-oriented standpoint, thinking & acting positive is its own reward, since this will directly benefit ourselves MORE than acting negatively. Helping others, too, might just be considered a nice side effect, from this (self-centered) perspective. :)

Then of course, we can see it in the reverse. Thinking & acting positively is the surest way to benefit others, and a nice side effect will be that we bring positive results to ourselves. ;)

But we must not forget that Karma also returns negative thought & action with a like consequence. This insures that, sooner or later, after we've "had enough" (and we can test this Law, if we like!) ... we will begin to cooperate with the additional Laws of the Universe. The Law of Love, for example (Big Brother to the Law of Cause & Effect), opens up doors which keep leading in & in, deeper & deeper, to the heart of our being, of all being. Sometimes, we can't learn how to open those doors, until we are thoroughly familiar with all the behavior and negativity that closes them (or keeps them closed).

WE decide our future. And we also decide the future of the rest of the planet, in due part. Even 10% of the planet, can win the unenlightened masses over, but only if there is some cooperation. :eek:

The more I THINK about, or energize, the foolishness about a wrathful, vengeful deity .... one that desires blood sacrifice, plays favorites, or does anything other/less than LOVE ... the more I basically just create - and perpetuate - an illusion. Yet this illusion is in many ways a very real demon, and it masquerades as an Angel of Light. It doesn't matter if we call it jehovah, allah, krishna or bill the magnificent. It is first and foremost our creation of a lesser god (than G-d) ... which torments & tortures Humanity.

This is what I meant by my initial post. The things that happen in the name of religion ... are Humanity's responsibility. This is our collective karma. Yet even the first line of the Dhammapada tells us how we can solve the problem. And it doesn't matter whether we are Buddhist, Christian, Muslim, Hindu, Pagan or non-religious. Karma is Karma. Law is Law. Jump off a building, and see if you cease to fall, simply because you "do not believe in gravity." ;)

Are God's Laws so objective and verifiable (as gravity)? Gee, let's see. Go around hurting other people, and acting like a general arse, and hmmm ... sooner or later, this will catch up with you. Personally. Not to mention the impact you've had on all those people. But treat others with kindness, and be a positive, uplifiting influence upon & around others, and sure enough, the Universe will repay you with the same (and greater) kindness. This is the Law. Some like to personalize it, yet God does not arbitrarily choose how to apply Karma. Karma simply IS.

I believe the image first posted speaks volumes. If one can feel a part of something larger, and accept & understand how all the great religions of this planet fit together ... then we're on to something. Otherwise, we may not have very long here together. It's for us to decide.

Run of the Mill

Namaskar,

taijasa

dhammapada
1 - pairs

1-2:

Phenomena are preceded by the heart,
ruled by the heart,
made of the heart.
If you speak or act
with a corrupted heart,
then suffering follows you --
as the wheel of the cart,
the track of the ox
that pulls it.

Phenomena are preceded by the heart,
ruled by the heart,
made of the heart.
If you speak or act
with a calm, bright heart,
then happiness follows you,
like a shadow
that never leaves.
Or, the Christian version (from Matthew chapter 5)
3 “ Blessed are the poor in spirit,
For theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
4 Blessed are those who mourn,
For they shall be comforted.
5 Blessed are the meek,
For they shall inherit the earth.
6 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
For they shall be filled.
7 Blessed are the merciful,
For they shall obtain mercy.
8 Blessed are the pure in heart,
For they shall see God.

9 Blessed are the peacemakers,
For they shall be called sons of God.
10 Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake,
For theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

11 “Blessed are you when they revile and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely for My sake. 12 Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

Thank you, Seattlegal, for posting the verses ... and especially for showing a Christian parallel. :)

Personally I'm partial to the Dhammapada translation that appears at sacred-texts.com. The first five lines read thus:
1. All that we are is the result of what we have thought: it is founded on our thoughts, it is made up of our thoughts. If a man speaks or acts with an evil thought, pain follows him, as the wheel follows the foot of the ox that draws the carriage.

2. All that we are is the result of what we have thought: it is founded on our thoughts, it is made up of our thoughts. If a man speaks or acts with a pure thought, happiness follows him, like a shadow that never leaves him.

3. 'He abused me, he beat me, he defeated me, he robbed me,'--in those who harbour such thoughts hatred will never cease.

4. 'He abused me, he beat me, he defeated me, he robbed me,'--in those who do not harbour such thoughts hatred will cease.

5. For hatred does not cease by hatred at any time: hatred ceases by love, this is an old rule.

I especially like verse 5 ... and how the Buddha points out that "this is an old rule." ;)

Love ... and Light,

andrew

taijasi said:
Thank you, Seattlegal, for posting the verses ... and especially for showing a Christian parallel. :)
Well, this is a comparative religion forum. Perhaps someone else can also post parallels from other religions. :)

taijasi said:
Personally I'm partial to the Dhammapada translation that appears at sacred-texts.com. The first five lines read thus:
1. All that we are is the result of what we have thought: it is founded on our thoughts, it is made up of our thoughts. If a man speaks or acts with an evil thought, pain follows him, as the wheel follows the foot of the ox that draws the carriage.

2. All that we are is the result of what we have thought: it is founded on our thoughts, it is made up of our thoughts. If a man speaks or acts with a pure thought, happiness follows him, like a shadow that never leaves him.

3. 'He abused me, he beat me, he defeated me, he robbed me,'--in those who harbour such thoughts hatred will never cease.

4. 'He abused me, he beat me, he defeated me, he robbed me,'--in those who do not harbour such thoughts hatred will cease.

5. For hatred does not cease by hatred at any time: hatred ceases by love, this is an old rule.

I especially like verse 5 ... and how the Buddha points out that "this is an old rule." ;)

Love ... and Light,

andrew
Here's the Christian expansion on Matthew chapter 5 to parallel your expansion on the Dhammapada pairs:
Matthew chapter 5 said:
38 “You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’ 39 But I tell you not to resist an evil person. But whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also. 40 If anyone wants to sue you and take away your tunic, let him have your cloak also. 41 And whoever compels you to go one mile, go with him two. 42 Give to him who asks you, and from him who wants to borrow from you do not turn away.

43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you, 45 that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. 46 For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? 47 And if you greet your brethren only, what do you do more than others? Do not even the tax collectors do so? 48 Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect.

The Dhammapada, like the dharma generally, is based upon the notion that the mind, and its taming, are the way to end suffering in one self and the world. So the first line of the Dhammapada - "Preceded by mind are phenomena" - means that the mind can "touch" thoughts, because the mind is considered to be a faculty; in the same way that our ears can "touch" sounds.

Snoopy said:
The Dhammapada, like the dharma generally, is based upon the notion that the mind, and its taming, are the way to end suffering in one self and the world. So the first line of the Dhammapada - "Preceded by mind are phenomena" - means that the mind can "touch" thoughts, because the mind is considered to be a faculty; in the same way that our ears can "touch" sounds.
Don't you think the concept (or understanding) that thoughts are things is very new to some people? This notion that thoughts affect, even build or create, reality? Thus that very truly, "all we are is the result of what we have thought?"

It sure gets rid of any justification whatsoever to fall back on the victim mentality as a copout. :eek:

taijasi

Back