Why?

Faithfulservant said:
Apollumi is the greek word for perish in the verse John 3:16

Whether it is be to destroyed or to lose... either way you lose.

1. to destroy
    1. to put out of the way entirely, abolish, put an end to ruin
    2. render useless
    3. to kill
    4. to declare that one must be put to death
    5. metaph. to devote or give over to eternal misery in hell
    6. to perish, to be lost, ruined, destroyed
  2. to destroy
    1. to lose
Rev 20:13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.

The Spirit of God might be speaking to some through this verse John 3:16.. I cant in all conscience patsy it down because I believe that is adding and taking away from the word of God.

I personally take the bible literally I know that some choose not to.. Thats their choice.

Just a point here. John 3: 16 was read by people after it was written (circa 150 ACE/AD). However it applies to all of mankind. It did not say, only those who read this. Nor does it place a condition upon man to do this or that or else perish. John specifically states that God sent His only Son that man not perish. It is an act described of God (this is what He did, for our sakes). That is "literally" what John tells us, God "literally" did, in order to "literally" save man. I see no room for alternative interpretations on this point, however, it does not say if one does not accept what is written here, one will perish. There was no condition placed on the act, nor was there an expectation that all of man would jump for joy and follow the Son.

It was a narrative of what occured and why it occured.

v/r

Q

Most respectfully Q, The whole of Chapter 3 is discussing this very issue.. Christ said that

Jesus answered and said to him, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."

and

He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

and

He who believes in the Son has everlasting life; and he who does not believe the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him."

one has to first be given the knowledge, then the choice of whether to except it as fact or not.

Faithfulservant said:
Most respectfully Q, The whole of Chapter 3 is discussing this very issue.. Christ said that

Jesus answered and said to him, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."

and

He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

and

He who believes in the Son has everlasting life; and he who does not believe the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him."

Equally as respectfully I say, does that mean man goes to hell? No. It states specifically that man will not see the Kingdom of God. It is a literal statement. "Unless one is born again, he cannot "see" the kingdom of God".

Condemned...to what? The fact that he is already in a miserable state? He will never get out?

Think carefully to what God says on this last issue. (He who believes has everlasting life), and he who does not believe the Son, shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him...

He who believes has everlasting life.

He who does not believe in the Son, shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.

Can't have wrath abide on a dead man. He doesn't care.

He who believes shall "HAVE" everlasting life. (clear enough)

He who does not believe in the Son, shall "NOT SEE" life. (can't see what the believers see, and does not know what is coming down the pike).

But the "WRATH" of God abides on him...HE IS JUDGED.

I find no error in what I've just pointed out. It is exactly what will happen to people who do believe in Jesus, and who do not believe in Jesus.

My reasoning is not flawed.

v/r

Q

Quahom1 said:
It doesn't say non-Christians are going to hell...it says they will stand and be judged. It says the two books will be opened, one accounting for one's history, and the other to see if the name is in the book of life.

The difference Christians enjoy, is that they already know their name is written in the book of life. When the first book is open to reveal their history, their reward in heaven will be determined (some say status).

That is the beauty of Christianity. We already know we are with God for ever. There is no doubt, within our being.

Ironic, for a non Christian, the first book is opened before the second. But for a Christian, the second book is already open, leaving the first to be opened last...;)

v/r

Q

that must make christians feel good! that good feeling must be god!

BlaznFattyz said:
one has to first be given the knowledge, then the choice of whether to except it as fact or not.

and why would someone accept it as fact?

I believe its flawed if you are denying eternal punishment as being scriptural.

2 thess 1:8-9

in flaming fire taking vengeance on those who do not know God, and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ. These shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power,

We also have the story in Luke about the Rich man sitting in hell in torment and seeing Lazarus in the bosom of the Lord.

The Hebrew word for hell is Sheol the Greek is Hades.. you see both in the scriptures and by that fact if one were to take the bible literally.. one would have to assume that the place exists.

Matthew 25:46 Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life."

Jude 1:7 In a similar way, Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding towns gave themselves up to sexual immorality and perversion. They serve as an example of those who suffer the punishment of eternalfire.

shadowman said:
and why would someone accept it as fact?

Because the "evidence" presented them, plus having an un biased perspective (like any good and faithful juror), would compel them to accept as fact what is before them.

Quahom1 said:
Naw, just blessed...
blessed cuz you wont be gong to hell? not going to hell becuase thats what it says. beleiving what it says because it makes you feel good?

Quahom1 said:
Because the "evidence" presented them, plus having an un biased perspective (like any good and faithful juror), would compel them to accept as fact what is before them.
what is the evidence

why would an unbiassed jury accept that

Faithfulservant said:
Its fact to a lot of people.
im not denying that. im asking why is it fact to people! i dont want to beleive. hell scares me. i dont think its real. i know ive been bad. i even had a schizo experience with the devil! i dont think that proves anytghing

hindis have schizo experiences with hindi demons.

my mind might beleive but thats becuase of the powerful brainwashing that religions use. playing wit our bass mental compartments.

shadowman said:
blessed cuz you wont be gong to hell? not going to hell becuase thats what it says. beleiving what it says because it makes you feel good?

No shadow man. It makes me want to share the news with others, if they had half a mind to listen...then maybe they could believe and "feel good", and want to share with someone else the "good news"...

and I do not understand what "cuz" means. But then, I try not to use contractions either...silly me.

shadowman said:
what is the evidence

why would an unbiassed jury accept that

there is a "trial here" somewhere in CR's past wherein that very same question came up. Oh, I do not know, about two years ago I should think. Dauer was the presiding judge, and Christians were in the end, "convicted" of being Christian...you should research it, you might find the "legal transcripts" of the case very interesting.

v/r

Q

shadowman said:
im not denying that. im asking why is it fact to people! i dont want to beleive. hell scares me. i dont think its real. i know ive been bad. i even had a schizo experience with the devil! i dont think that proves anytghing

hindis have schizo experiences with hindi demons.

my mind might beleive but thats becuase of the powerful brainwashing that religions use. playing wit our bass mental compartments.

You have to have faith to believe the unseen things. God rewards faith. Ive witnessed miracles that defy the "logic" and rules of the universe. Just because you dont believe in something doesnt mean its not there... If you really are afraid of hell my thought is that you are already being convicted of its truth by the Spirit of God.

Faithfulservant said:
You have to have faith to believe the unseen things. God rewards faith. Ive witnessed miracles that defy the "logic" and rules of the universe. Just because you dont believe in something doesnt mean its not there... If you really are afraid of hell my thought is that you are already being convicted of its truth by the Spirit of God.

That is the absolute truth. Jesus went there, stayed only three days and got out. Why would I want to go where He refused to stay? ;)

Hi shadowman--

shadowman said:
but i love the culture of yoruba and im also a musician

i dont see how i can be a chrisitan and also listen to devlish voodoo music and chants to shango

I am a musician, as well. I am also part Cherokee. I am also a Christian. So I think maybe I can relate to this part of your question.

For example, I love Bob Marley's music. But every once in a while, there are lyrics that offend me, because of my love for Jesus (as my Savior as well as my foremost Teacher, Shepherd, Master). So rather than throw away what I find to be good, I simply don't indulge in what I cannot spiritually condone. I occasionally do the same things with certain Christian hymns--every now and then, I find messages in them that speak against what the the Spirit has revealed to me about Christ and what His followers should be or do. In these cases, I abstain. I do so quietly, though, because I know that I don't know everything about God. And even though many of the people at my very conservative church would not fully embrace the beauty of the legends passed down orally through the ages by the Native Americans, I do so with no conflict in my soul. I don't, however, present these stories at this particular church, because I think it would be disrespectful and seen as political.

shadowman said:
What is Christanity about?

Ideally, Christianity is about trusting in Jesus Christ. That is the very first step that one takes. As you can see from reading this thread, the ways in which Christ reveals Himself to the individual can vary. But I leave this up to the wisdom of the Spirit. I know this may sound confusing at first, but trusting in Christ is a step I will never forget nor regret.

On the subject of the Bible? Making sense of it means allowing one's self to study it--prayerfully. I have no doubt that if you sincerely desire to understand what is there, you will. One thing I can tell you is that yes--you will have questions. I believe with all my heart that this sacred text is designed to focus on questions and solutions.

I wish for you the blessings you may find there.

As Saltmeister said--listen to your heart.:)

(Oh, and I read your other post on the thread you started--I will try to respond there as well, but it might be later on.)

InPeace,
InLove

Hi, Everyone--

OOPS!! I apologize, Terrence and shadowman. I see that the original question, "What is Christianity about?" was posted by Terrence. I attributed it to shadowman. :eek: I am sorry. I don't know if my goof can be fixed by someone or not??

Anyway, my responses would essentially be the same. :)

InPeace,
InLove

Back