Daily Wisdom Saying

Eaves dropping is in fact a dirt deed, yet the dirty deed is often done...then what of it?

Mark Twain

v/r

Q

A gentle answer turns away wrath,
but a harsh word stirs up anger. --Proverbs 15:1

"Bless me this day Lord, by putting your arm around my shoulders, and your hand over my mouth..."

"Let me never speak a word that my heart would not say to you, oh Lord."

"If you want to build a ship, don't herd people together to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea." -- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Hi, and Peace be upon All Here--

Hello, shunammite--I apologize for the belated welcome. Haven't spoken with you directly yet, but look forward to it. (I could go on and on about the song by George, but he was rather direct when he spoke to the world, and when one actually sees the lyrics of some of his songs, one (me) must take pause before posting--who knew this man who loved so much and so many could actually offend?

Thanks for the Scripture parallel.

InPeace,
InLove

A life is either all spiritual or not spiritual at all. No man can serve two masters. Your life is shaped by the end you live for. You are made in the image of what you desire.

- Thomas Merton

To find everything profound - that is an inconvenient trait. It makes one strain one's eyes all the time, and in the end one finds more than one might have wished.
Friedrich Nietzsche

"Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind" (Originally attributed to Albert Einstein, but brought to my attention by lunamoth):)

Two sets of lights come in contact at sea in the middle of the night, heading it seems dead on. First radio call. "Change your heading to port by ten degrees"

Reply: "Negative sir, change yours 20 degrees to port"

Challenge: "I am a Captain in the US Navy, I say again change your heading to port by ten degrees."

Reply: "I'm a Chief Petty Officer in the US Coast Guard. Change yours 20 to port."

Challenge: "I AM A COMMANDING OFFICER OF A BATTLESHIP, AND I ORDER YOU TO CHANGE YOUR HEADING 10 DEGREES TO PORT!!!'

Reply: "I'm the keeper of the Lighthouse...your call."

"and he will be a sanctuary; but for both houses of Israel he will be a stone that causes men to stumble and a rock that makes them fall...." Isaiah 8:14

But if my jacket and trousers, my hat and shoes, are fit to worship God in, they will do; will they not?

-Henry David Thoreau

"Just as I am, without one plea, but that thy blood was shed for me/Fightings within and fears without/Oh Lamb of God, I come....

I come" --(Text--Charlotte Elliot)

Based on John 6:37--"Him that cometh to Me, I will in no wise cast out".

InPeace,
InLove

The freedom to kill is not true freedom, but a tyranny that reduces the human being to slavery

- Pope Benedict XVI

Based upon "Christian principles" this comes from the Second Ammendment of the US Constitution:

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

This is a wise law.

Thanks for that Q,

There's a lot of folks who'd disagree with you there, but that's a thread all of its own for the future. We can pull it out when things get a bit quiet.

"I do not want my house to be walled in on all sides, and my windows to be closed. Instead, I want the cultures of all lands to be blown about my house as freely as possible. But I refuse to be blown off my feet by any."

"Prayer is not asking. It is a longing of the soul. It is daily admission of one's weakness... It is better in prayer to have a heart without words than words without a heart."

(both quotes from Mahatma Gandhi)

Difference of opinion is advantageous in religion. The several sects perform the office of a Censor morum over each other. Is uniformity attainable? Millions of innocent men, women, and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined, imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch towards uniformity. What has been the effect of coercion? To make one half the world fools, and the other half hypocrites. To support roguery and error all over the earth. Let us reflect that it is inhabited by a thousand millions of people. That these profess probably a thousand different systems of religion. That ours is but one of that thousand. That if there be but one right, and ours that one, we should wish to see the 999 wandering sects gathered into the fold of truth. But against such a majority we cannot effect this by force. Reason and persuasion are the only practicable instruments. To make way for these, free enquiry must be indulged; and how can we wish others to indulge it while we refuse it ourselves.

Thomas Jefferson, "Notes on the State of Virginia."

My PM box is full, and I can't remember who said it--someone will know...

But a friend of mine sent me this tonight, and I appreciate it very much:

Oh Lord.

Grant me the Courage to do the things that I can

the Serenity to accept the things that I can't do,

...and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Thank you--

InPeace,
InLove

Back