Does God speak to all people?

Thats what I asked. You did say a whole lot of the message from Jesus was about control. Ok you didnt say Christianity just Jesus.

So maybe a better way to put it was Muhammad all about control?

Dor said:
Thats what I asked. You did say a whole lot of the message from Jesus was about control. Ok you didnt say Christianity just Jesus.

So maybe a better way to put it was Muhammad all about control?
I will say the same that I said of the Gospel... I think it would be wise to study the Qur'an and the ways that a Muslim is to struggle.

Terrence said:
So do you consider yourself a good person?

i consider myself someone who has made a lot of good and bad choices, recently more bad choices than good ones, now im making more good choices than bad ones.

cyberpi said:
I'd say apathy but good point. There are a lot of things where there is a quality and then the absence of it. For example:
hot, cold, vacuum.
positive charge, negative charge, no charge
left hand spin, right hand spin, no spin
tension, compression, no force transmission
forward, reverse, neutral
love, hate, apathy
faith, control, isolation
truth, lie, secret
hope, fear, ambivalence

I'm just stating and re-stating that the word Faith means a lot more than 'belief', 'believe', and 'trust'. I saw the word 'control' and seized the opportunity.
OK, I wasn't sure if you were going for opposites or duality here. From your examples, I just assumed it was duality and was making this clear to people who are unaware of the relationship between love and hate, hot and cold, etc.

cyberpi said:
What hypothetical world? Who are you talking to?
I was referring to shadowman's hypothetical world, where no gods exist, and yet there are still problems.

cyberpi said:
Could you elaborate what you are saying?
Well, if I read shadowman's example correctly, he seems to have a problem with the perceived control that the orthodoxy of certain religions exhibits over their followers. He came up with his "no god world" example which you can read in his post above. In this world (if I read correctly, interpreting "nad" to be a typo for "bad"), bad things still happen. Also, in this world some figureheads rise up and start preaching that this is call caused by something supernatural and urge the people to believe in their fictional gods, as this will fix the problems. Shadowman asked if this would work, and I say yes if the people are unaware of the nature of this world, and if they did know, they would either choose to believe the lie or not.

What I am getting at is that it is inconsequential whether or not things of this nature are strictly and absolutely true, i.e. whether or not God does exist and whether or not there is a Hell. I'm proposing that as long as these beliefs produce an overall beneficial result, then it is wise for people to suspend their disbelief in gods, etc. to fix their problems. That is, if the world acts in accordance with what the preachers are saying, there is no reason to go out in search of truth for truth's sake.

Basically, I'm advocating the use of noble lies in some instances. Sometimes people need to be "controlled" to keep from harming themselves. If I was more imaginative, I would add here a metaphor or saying that equates this position with everyday life, possibly something to do with babies and parents...but I'm not.:p

Back