Songs? lol..

You people - Pagans

Songs of the Wickerman - all chirpy and "gay" (merry not queer) and all about sex.

"there was a tree!!! and on that tree there was a branch!! and on that branch there was a nest! and in that nest there was an egg!! and in that egg there was something else" and basically boils down to sex and somehow believes there is a connection between human reproduction and the growth of trees heh......

Pagans is a broad term, depending on who you are. For Christians it would be everyone who's not a Christian, but I think I understand you.

If I may, I will answer this to the best of my ability: No, they don't sing gay tree songs any more than other people sing gay tree songs. What would be the point anyway?

What is the nature of the connection between trees and human reproduction? I know of some but I don't think they are what you mean.

There are indeed modern Pagan musical groups. Here are a few of my favourites:

Libana
Inkubus Sukkubus
Unto Ashes
Butterfly Messiah
The Changelings
Dagda
Moonstruck
Spiral Rhythm

There are other groups who might or might not have Pagan members who produce music that is also popular. Here are a few of my favourites in that category:
AfroCelt Sound System
Mediaeval Baebes
The Tea Party
Steve Roach
Delerium
Balligomingo
Conjure One
Vas
Govinda
Waterbone
Dead Can Dance
Brigid Boden

Around here (in the USA) a lot of these groups tend to be classified as either "new age" or "world" music. Some of them are put in the regular pop/rock sections though in stores.

You'll often find samples of their music you can listen to on sites like Amazon or the iTunes music store, or on the group's own website.

And the famous Maypole song from the original "Wicker Man" is available in a pretty good rendition by Mediaeval Baebes. They call the song "Summerisle (the Maypole Song)."

Some of the songs are old ones either done as faithful recreations by modern groups, or else are modern versions of the old songs, or are brand new songs and not old ones at all.

[Edited to add: my own Wiccan coven loves to play the Mediaeval Baebes version of the Maypole song during our MayDay celebration each year. We happily sing along!]

I'm a big Inky and Mediaeval Babes fan! Thanks for the list of suggested bands bgruagach, we are always looking for new music in our coven.
(I'm new to this excellent site - tis my very first post!) :)

You have to help me out here... On that song when they run around in circles arounda tree.... There is some kind of instrument that a small boy plays. Like a mouth organ but kinda makes a sound like a banjo thats the only way I can describe it... A "spring, bouncy" sounding tool.... I want one of these badly, what is it?

17th Angel said:
You have to help me out here... On that song when they run around in circles arounda tree.... There is some kind of instrument that a small boy plays. Like a mouth organ but kinda makes a sound like a banjo thats the only way I can describe it... A "spring, bouncy" sounding tool.... I want one of these badly, what is it?

That instrument is known by a few names: mouth harp, jaw harp, Jew's harp.

If you do a web search for those names you'll find websites that explain what it is and how to play it as well as places you can buy one. Or you could ask at a local musical instrument store where you live.

17th Angel said:
OK, one last thing... The song where they dance round the maypole... Where can I get the ergh... "sheet" music? For the Jew's harp for that song... Cause that is mucho funky....

They have the lyrics for the Mediaeval Baebes version of the song online if you do a search for "Summerisle lyrics" but I didn't see sheet music for it anywhere.

If you do find a place that has the sheet music please post about it here in case someone else is looking for it.

"lol'z" I got my Jew's Harp, they kick a... bottom. This has to be the funkiest musical tool ever made. Anyway know any tips or cool tunes to play out on the Jew Harp!?

Regards

Sorry, I don't know how to play one. Perhaps someone else on here can provide tips for you.

Sure dude, I've been playing the jaw harp for a few years now. It can be played like a boingy thing, or like a didgeridoo. You can get sort of Goa Trance synth noises out of it too.

You can even ones tuned to a note these days. :)

Hi--just saw the conversation regarding the Jew's harp. (For a long time, I thought it was called a "juice harp" too. I thought it sounded messy.) :D

Anyway, I've had one for years, but it just kinda sits there amidst my collection of strange and wonderful stringed and wooden and brass things that makes people ask, "What's that?"

I can't play it. I really picked it up so I could get one of the kids I teach to use it in a song, but then I realized by trial and error that it can be very hard on one's teeth. :eek:

Just thought I'd post a word of warning! Be careful, ya hear? :)

InPeace,
InLove

Back