More Questions...

Prober

Give Us This Day...
Reaction score
Can anyone go to a synagogue on Sabbath to observe (in a respectful and quiet way, of course)? Do you need permission first?

Why isn't Sabbath observance a Noahidic law?

Were Ruth and Rahab converts?

Can anyone go to a synagogue on Sabbath to observe (in a respectful and quiet way, of course)? Do you need permission first?

Yep. Anyone can go. Wearing a kippah is a general sign of respect (just like taking off a hat elsewhere) while wearing a tallit is specifically a Jewish obligation. Also a good idea to let them know that you're not Jewish if they offer you an honor.

Good question. I can't tell you why, but I can take a few educated guesses. When you look at the Noahide laws, they're generally humane laws without so much as a tinge of ritual to them. You don't see Shabbos there, but then again you don't see taharat hamishpachah (family purity) either. The noahide laws aren't offering a religious system. They're offering the bare bones for a humane society.

The actual mitzvah to make Shabbos holy is found in Exodus 20:8, far after Noach, and the categories of work related to Shabbat found in the gemara are related to the construction of the mishkan (tabernacle), also later.

Also, Shabbos is not just related to the seventh day of the week, but to the Exodus from Egypt as well, which, again, happens later.

But again, I'm not sure of any "official" answer, if there is such a thing.

Were Ruth and Rahab converts?

Yep. Both.

Hope that helps.

Dauer

Yep, anyone can go, Jewish or not. It might be a good idea to read up on what will be going on beforehand though, so you don't seem too out of place. Wikipedia has a decent article on the subject: Jewish services - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A better question would be why would there be? God gave Noah six dont's and one do. These seven commandments are the protoform of a humane society which respects the dignity of individuals who are party to it. That should, in principle, be irrespective of religion or creed. Whether or not a Noachide wants to observe a Shabbat or not is his or her choice, just as how to observe it should he/she so choose.

Thanks Karimarie,

So the thought is that G-d doesn't require anyone but Jews to keep the Sabbath?

I was thinking it was for everyone since he provided an example for Adam.

So the thought is that G-d doesn't require anyone but Jews to keep the Sabbath?

Yes. It's not one of the Noachide laws, so it is therefore entirely optional.

I was thinking it was for everyone since he provided an example for Adam.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'he provided an example for Adam.' Can you elaborate on this point?

also, due to the large number of people that want to kill us, i would advise for practical reasons that you contact the synagogue and tell them you'd like to come so that you'll be expected and won't have trouble getting through security. otherwise it's possible in these unfortunate times you may be considered a little suspicious.

b'shalom

bananabrain

also, due to the large number of people that want to kill us, i would advise for practical reasons that you contact the synagogue and tell them you'd like to come so that you'll be expected and won't have trouble getting through security. otherwise it's possible in these unfortunate times you may be considered a little suspicious.

b'shalom

bananabrain

Security... In a place of worship? That's just.... "wow".

yep. every jewish community centre, synagogue, temple, charity and communal organisation has a huge security bill as well as thousands of volunteer person-hours in order to provide some modicum of protection from all those feckers that consider us responsible for the world's ills. the practical consequences of anti-semitism, i'm afraid.

b'shalom

bananabrain

b'shalom

bananabrain

Thanks B,

I'll do so...

Prober,

I do believe it is God and not Adam who blesses the seventh day.

Dauer

Sorry, misread. It doesn't specify anywhere that God was providing an example for Adam. If you look at the passages related to the seventh day, it seems to be more concerned with God's ceasing from His creative acts and also making it holy, which is related to distinguishing it from the other days.

Sorry, misread. It doesn't specify anywhere that God was providing an example for Adam. If you look at the passages related to the seventh day, it seems to be more concerned with God's ceasing from His creative acts and also making it holy, which is related to distinguishing it from the other days.

So would the thought then be that He meant it only for Jews since He didn't specifically make it a commandment until Sinai?

(Trying to get back to the roots and understand...)

Prober,

Yeah. It was a bit buried in my first post, but one thing I had pointed out is the mitzvah appears in Exodus 20:8, so it is only obligatory for Jews.

There are people in the process of conversion who will have some sort of Shabbos observance, but until they've completed all of the steps, they'll do something that is not allowed so that they're not following everything to a T.

Dauer

Back