this generation

mee said:
yes it is quite right to say that when Jesus spoke about (this generation ) he was not refering to a time of years ,but to the attitudes of the masses, how the unbelievers would be acting .back in Jesus time he was refering to the ones who did not accept and recognize him, and so it is today in the major fullfillment that is happening now ,the signs are all happening and the fullfilling of prophecies are all happening , but still the masses are not recognizing Jesus kingship inline with the bible ,yes it is a faithless generation.........

Not necessarily by choice. There are for example 1.5 billion people living in China and another billion living in India, and 750 million living in other parts of Asia major and minor. Most of them have never heard of Jesus, nor of His message. That is over half of the population on earth. And the Bible states that all will hear the message of Jesus first, before the time comes.

v/r

Q

Quahom1 said:
Not necessarily by choice. There are for example 1.5 billion people living in China and another billion living in India, and 750 million living in other parts of Asia major and minor. Most of them have never heard of Jesus, nor of His message. That is over half of the population on earth. And the Bible states that all will hear the message of Jesus first, before the time comes.

v/r

Q
its interesting that Jesus was refering to the generation that claimed to represent him, he pointed to their faithlessness ,they claimed to represent the true God, but did not recognize Jesus, so in the modern day there is christendom that claims to be in a covenent relationship with God, but does not recognize Jesus kingship in the heavenly kingdom goverment, which fullfills bible prophecy and chronology ........ but the goodnews is being made known in all islands and lands around the world and individuals out of those nations respond to the good news.
After these things I saw, and, look! a great crowd, which no man was able to number, out of all nations and tribes and peoples and tongues, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, dressed in white robes; and there were palm branches in their hands. And they keep on crying with a loud voice, saying: "Salvation [we owe] to our God, who is seated on the throne, and to the Lamb.............. revelation 7;9-10http://www.watchtower.org/

mee said:
its interesting that Jesus was refering to the generation that claimed to represent him, he pointed to their faithlessness ,they claimed to represent the true God, but did not recognize Jesus, so in the modern day there is christendom that claims to be in a covenent relationship with God, but does not recognize Jesus kingship in the heavenly kingdom goverment, which fullfills bible prophecy and chronology ........ but the goodnews is being made known in all islands and lands around the world and individuals out of those nations respond to the good news.
After these things I saw, and, look! a great crowd, which no man was able to number, out of all nations and tribes and peoples and tongues, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, dressed in white robes; and there were palm branches in their hands. And they keep on crying with a loud voice, saying: "Salvation [we owe] to our God, who is seated on the throne, and to the Lamb.............. revelation 7;9-10http://www.watchtower.org/

Hi Mee,

After researching what the Biblical generation consists of in number of years, and ours is the generation that will not end before the coming of Christ, then there are two possibilites concerning "end dates" of this generation.

If this generation began in 1914 (as you suggest), then the end of this generation will be 2014.

If this generation began in 1948 (with the re-establishment of the State of Israel), then the end of this generation will be 2048.

If 2014 is the end date of our generation, then the Apocolypes should begin in 2007. If 2048 is the end date of our generation, then the Apocolypes should begin in 2041

I come to this possible conclusion due to the Bible describing a generation as being 100 years.

If these are not the correct dates, then when the end of our generation is Biblically speaking is still not known. However, it would not have begun prior to 1914, since the seven years of the tribulation must be taken into account "before" the return of Christ.

Quahom1 said:
Hi Mee,

After researching what the Biblical generation consists of in number of years, and ours is the generation that will not end before the coming of Christ, then there are two possibilites concerning "end dates" of this generation.

If this generation began in 1914 (as you suggest), then the end of this generation will be 2014.

If this generation began in 1948 (with the re-establishment of the State of Israel), then the end of this generation will be 2048.

If 2014 is the end date of our generation, then the Apocolypes should begin in 2007. If 2048 is the end date of our generation, then the Apocolypes should begin in 2041

I come to this possible conclusion due to the Bible describing a generation as being 100 years.

If these are not the correct dates, then when the end of our generation is Biblically speaking is still not known. However, it would not have begun prior to 1914, since the seven years of the tribulation must be taken into account "before" the return of Christ.
As i mentioned in my earlier posts
Jesus was not referring to a set number of years making up a generation.
when the apostles heard Jesus refer to "this generation," what would they think? While we, with the benefit of hindsight, know that Jerusalem’s destruction in the "great tribulation" came 37 years later, the apostles hearing Jesus could not know that. Rather, his mention of "generation" would have conveyed to them, not the idea of a period of great length, but the people living over a relatively limited period of time. The same is true in our case. How fitting, then, are Jesus’ follow-up words: "Concerning that day and hour nobody knows, neither the angels of the heavens nor the Son, but only the Father. . . . On this account you too prove yourselves ready, because at an hour that you do not think to be it, the Son of man is coming."—Matthew 24:36, 44.

mee said:
As i mentioned in my earlier posts
Jesus was not referring to a set number of years making up a generation.
when the apostles heard Jesus refer to "this generation," what would they think? While we, with the benefit of hindsight, know that Jerusalem’s destruction in the "great tribulation" came 37 years later, the apostles hearing Jesus could not know that. Rather, his mention of "generation" would have conveyed to them, not the idea of a period of great length, but the people living over a relatively limited period of time. The same is true in our case. How fitting, then, are Jesus’ follow-up words: "Concerning that day and hour nobody knows, neither the angels of the heavens nor the Son, but only the Father. . . . On this account you too prove yourselves ready, because at an hour that you do not think to be it, the Son of man is coming."—Matthew 24:36, 44.

Agreed, but we have also noted that most of scripture has a once and future meaning. It regularly applies to the time of Jesus as well as the time after, and is rather eerily accurate in both areas of time.

Quahom1 said:
Agreed, but we have also noted that most of scripture has a once and future meaning. It regularly applies to the time of Jesus as well as the time after, and is rather eerily accurate in both areas of time.
true, and just as Jesus wasnt recognized back then by the religious leaders ,so its the same today , the ones who claim to represent him do not recognize his (presence ) in kingdom power . even though it fullfills bible prophecy and chronology .back then Jesus fullfilled all of the prophecies about him but he was rejected . they were faithless ,they had no faith in Jesus as Gods son. but individuals did recgonize Jesus for who he was , and so it is today, individuals do recognize that Jesus is now in kingdom power and his presence is with us since 1914 , and this kingship fullfills bible prophecy and chronology, and the signs are all happening

mee said:
true, and just as Jesus wasnt recognized back then by the religious leaders ,so its the same today , the ones who claim to represent him do not recognize his (presence ) in kingdom power . even though it fullfills bible prophecy and chronology .back then Jesus fullfilled all of the prophecies about him but he was rejected . they were faithless ,they had no faith in Jesus as Gods son. but individuals did recgonize Jesus for who he was , and so it is today, individuals do recognize that Jesus is now in kingdom power and his presence is with us since 1914 , and this kingship fullfills bible prophecy and chronology, and the signs are all happening

Again, if this is true (I'm not disputing your belief), then something should happen in 2007 that would leave no believer to doubt the time is nigh. And it should all be over by 2014. I say this because the Bible is specific in terms of the time of a generation (100 years), and you just agreed that scripture can have a meaning for then and now (or once and future time). This also means we don't have long to wait (about 8-12 months).

If however it is 1948 that is the start date, then we have a bit of a ways to go. This may be more accurate because it would give time for all the rest of the "birthing pangs" to take place, that haven't yet.

Quahom1 said:
Again, if this is true (I'm not disputing your belief), then something should happen in 2007 that would leave no believer to doubt the time is nigh. And it should all be over by 2014. I say this because the Bible is specific in terms of the time of a generation (100 years), and you just agreed that scripture can have a meaning for then and now (or once and future time). This also means we don't have long to wait (about 8-12 months).

If however it is 1948 that is the start date, then we have a bit of a ways to go. This may be more accurate because it would give time for all the rest of the "birthing pangs" to take place, that haven't yet.
when Jesus spoke of (this generation )he was not refering to a length of time so there is no date
This generation of mankind since 1914 has experienced appalling changes. It has seen the earth drenched with the blood of millions. Warfare, genocide, terrorism, crime, and lawlessness have erupted worldwide. Famine, disease, and immorality have stalked our globe. Jesus prophesied: "You also, when you [his disciples] see these things occurring, know that the kingdom of God is near. Truly I say to you, This generation will by no means pass away until all things occur."—Luke 21:31, 32
Is anything to be gained, then, by looking for dates or by speculating about the literal lifetime of a "generation"? Far from it! Habakkuk 2:3 clearly states: "The vision is yet for the appointed time, and it keeps panting on to the end, and it will not tell a lie. Even if it should delay, keep in expectation of it; for it will without fail come true. It will not be late." Jehovah’s day of accounting hastens ever closer.—Jeremiah 25:31-33; Malachi 4:1.

mee said:
when Jesus spoke of (this generation )he was not refering to a length of time so there is no date
This generation of mankind since 1914 has experienced appalling changes. It has seen the earth drenched with the blood of millions. Warfare, genocide, terrorism, crime, and lawlessness have erupted worldwide. Famine, disease, and immorality have stalked our globe. Jesus prophesied: "You also, when you [his disciples] see these things occurring, know that the kingdom of God is near. Truly I say to you, This generation will by no means pass away until all things occur."—Luke 21:31, 32
Is anything to be gained, then, by looking for dates or by speculating about the literal lifetime of a "generation"? Far from it! Habakkuk 2:3 clearly states: "The vision is yet for the appointed time, and it keeps panting on to the end, and it will not tell a lie. Even if it should delay, keep in expectation of it; for it will without fail come true. It will not be late." Jehovah’s day of accounting hastens ever closer.—Jeremiah 25:31-33; Malachi 4:1.

Ok, so I give up everything I've learned, beacause you say so? Bible says generation is 100 years. you say no? Bible, you, Bible, you...hmmm

Quahom1 said:
Ok, so I give up everything I've learned, beacause you say so? Bible says generation is 100 years. you say no? Bible, you, Bible, you...hmmm
where in the bible is it saying that the generation that Jesus spoke of means 100 years
In its original setting the reference was solely to Jesus’ own contemporaries.
"this generation" (he ge·ne·a´ hau´te) is "the whole multitude of men living at the same time." The Theological Dictionary of the New Testament (1964) gives support to this definition, stating: "The use of ‘generation’ by Jesus expresses his comprehensive purpose: he aims at the whole people and is conscious of their solidarity in sin." Truly a "solidarity in sin" was apparent in the Jewish nation when Jesus was on earth, just as it marks the world system today.
Certain Bibles render he ge·ne·a´ hau´te at Matthew 24:34 as follows: "these people" (The Holy Bible in the Language of Today [1976], by W. F. Beck); "this nation" (The New Testament—An Expanded Translation [1961], by K. S. Wuest); "this people" (Jewish New Testament [1979], by D. H. Stern)

mee said:
where in the bible is it saying that the generation that Jesus spoke of means 100 years
In its original setting the reference was solely to Jesus’ own contemporaries.
"this generation" (he ge·ne·a´ hau´te) is "the whole multitude of men living at the same time." The Theological Dictionary of the New Testament (1964) gives support to this definition, stating: "The use of ‘generation’ by Jesus expresses his comprehensive purpose: he aims at the whole people and is conscious of their solidarity in sin." Truly a "solidarity in sin" was apparent in the Jewish nation when Jesus was on earth, just as it marks the world system today.
Certain Bibles render he ge·ne·a´ hau´te at Matthew 24:34 as follows: "these people" (The Holy Bible in the Language of Today [1976], by W. F. Beck); "this nation" (The New Testament—An Expanded Translation [1961], by K. S. Wuest); "this people" (Jewish New Testament [1979], by D. H. Stern)

God's word my friend (the Bible), states the generation of man. I don't have to justifiy anything to you. God said (Jehovah said), a generation for man is 100 years. Jesus never mentioned the timeline of a generation. He only stated what those who knew the old testament understood. Why do you ignore that part of the Bible?

Q

Quahom1 said:
God's word my friend (the Bible), states the generation of man. I don't have to justifiy anything to you. God said (Jehovah said), a generation for man is 100 years. Jesus never mentioned the timeline of a generation. He only stated what those who knew the old testament understood. Why do you ignore that part of the Bible?

Q
i find it interesting that the bible tells us that 100 years is the generation of man , i dont think i have seen it , please could i ask you to tell me where in the bible it says that , i am all for learning new things . i am not asking you to justifiy it , i am just interested to know where it says that. and yes i agree Jesus never mentioned the timeline of a generation , not sure what you mean by me ignoring parts of the bible? which parts?

Since 1914 a generation of people has become corrupt, just as in Jesus’ day. And today the corruption is on a worldwide scale. In these "last days," the "critical times hard to deal with" described by the apostle Paul are afflicting mankind. ‘Wicked men and impostors continue to advance from bad to worse.’ Clearly, "the whole world is lying in the power of the wicked one," Satan the Devil, who is now making his final effort to ruin the earth. But take courage! There is an oncoming "great tribulation" that will bring permanent relief to all who love righteousness.—2 Timothy 3:1-5, 13; 1 John 5:19; Revelation 7:14 what a relief , man will not ruin the earth for ever , because God will bring to ruin those ruining the earth .
Yes, the complete triumph of the Messianic Kingdom is at hand

mee said:
i find it interesting that the bible tells us that 100 years is the generation of man , i dont think i have seen it , please could i ask you to tell me where in the bible it says that , i am all for learning new things . i am not asking you to justifiy it , i am just interested to know where it says that. and yes i agree Jesus never mentioned the timeline of a generation , not sure what you mean by me ignoring parts of the bible? which parts?

OK. However, in confirming what I originally stated as being a generation of man, (as biblically defined), I also discovered other issues pertaining to the Biblical use of the word and time for "generation".

Apparently a generation can be literal (20, 40, 70, 80, 100, 120, 900) years, or can be an a situation of undetermined amount of time...

It all depends on when the author wrote his book, and what he was attempting to tell us.

Lat. Vulgate, generatio).

This word, of very varied meaning, corresponds to the two Hebrew terms: dôr, tôledôth. As a rendering of the later, the Vulgate plural form, generationes, is treated in the article GENEALOGY. As a rendering of the former, the word generation is used in the following principal senses.
  • It designates a definite period of time, with a special reference to the average length of man's life. It is in this sense, for example, that, during the long-lived patriarchal age, a "generation" is rated as a period of 100 years (Genesis 15:16, compared with Genesis 15:13, and Exodus 12:40), and that, at a later date, it is represented as of only 30 to 40 years.
  • The word generation is used to mean an indefinite period of time: of time past, as in Deut., xxxii, 7, where we read: "Remember the days of old, think upon every generation", and in Isaias, lviii, 12, etc.; of time future, as in Ps. xliv (Heb. xlv), 18, etc.
  • In a concrete sense, generation designates the men who lived in the same period of time, who were contemporaries, as for instance in Gen., vi, 9: "Noe was a just and perfect man in his generations"; see also: Num., xxxii, 13; Deut., i, 35; Matt., xxiv, 34; etc.
  • Independently of the idea of time, generation is employed to mean a race or class of men as characterized by the same recurring condition or quality. In this sense, the Bible speaks of a "just generation", literally "generation of the just" [Ps. xiii (Heb., xiv), 6; etc.], a "perverse generation", equivalent to: "generation of the wicked" [Deut., xxxii, 5; Mark, ix, 18 (Gr., verse 19); etc.].
  • Lastly, in Is., xxxviii, 12, the word generation is used to designate a dwelling place or habitation, probably from the circular for of the nomad tent. Whence it can be readily seen that, in its various principal acceptations, the word generation (usually in the Septuagint and in the Greek New Testament: genea) preserves something of the primitive meaning of "circuit", "period", conveyed by the Hebrew term dôr.
So, If taken literally in actual time, then a generation's time varies depending upon the life span of that particular generation. If taken as an issue, or a situation, then time doesn't matter; which means we are both right, depending on which way we're considering "generation" to be...

However, that still leaves the 1914 concept in questionable status. At the time Jesus spoke those words, the literal generation of man was three score and 10 years, up to four score years (for the heartier souls). Even if we use 80 years for today's generation (which is reasonable), then 1994, would have been the day this earth ended tribulations. If we use 100 years as a current generation then, 2014 is the last day of tribulations. If we use 1948 as the beginning of the generation, then 2018 to 2028 are the end dates, and subsequently if we use 100 years as the generation and 1948 as the beginning, then we are back to 2048 as the last day.

If Jesus was speaking a dual message (one to His contemporaries and one to us), 70-100 AD was the end and our generation's end is coming to a close within 2-32 years. Or else it has already passed.

If we are using a generation as a situtation of conditions and issues, then no one knows when it will end.

There you go. We still don't know when game is over.

v/r

Q

Quahom1 said:

If we are using a generation as a situtation of conditions and issues, then no one knows when it will end.

There you go. We still don't know when game is over.

v/r

Q
yes ,the situtation that we are now in, is the same as the situtation of Jesus day , the masses around Jesus were a faithless and crooked generation, the people he lived with ,did not put faith in him
"O faithless and twisted generation, how long must I continue with you and put up with you?"—LUKE 9:41
Of course, Christians studying this matter guide their thinking primarily by how Jesus used the Greek expression he ge·ne·a´ hau´te, or "this generation." He used it consistently in a negative way. i find it interesting that the
religious hypocrites were indeed most reprehensible as leaders among the unfaithful "crowds" whom Jesus condemned as "this wicked generation.
the masses of unrepentant Jews of that time obviously made up "this adulterous and sinful generation.
A "faithless and twisted generation," egged on by its religious leaders, seemed to play a key part in bringing about the death of the Lord Jesus Christ.

mee said:
yes ,the situtation that we are now in, is the same as the situtation of Jesus day , the masses around Jesus were a faithless and crooked generation, the people he lived with ,did not put faith in him
"O faithless and twisted generation, how long must I continue with you and put up with you?"—LUKE 9:41
Of course, Christians studying this matter guide their thinking primarily by how Jesus used the Greek expression he ge·ne·a´ hau´te, or "this generation." He used it consistently in a negative way. i find it interesting that the
religious hypocrites were indeed most reprehensible as leaders among the unfaithful "crowds" whom Jesus condemned as "this wicked generation.
the masses of unrepentant Jews of that time obviously made up "this adulterous and sinful generation.
A "faithless and twisted generation," egged on by its religious leaders, seemed to play a key part in bringing about the death of the Lord Jesus Christ.

But we don't know that. Jesus even stated that things shall come to pass, yet that will only mark the beginning. No one knows the appointed time, not even the angels. Only the Father knows the day, the hour and the moment. There are things yet to be. These "signs" are only the beginning, like birth pangs of a woman about to go into labor.

We are also specifically told not to worry about it.

v/r

Q

Quahom1 said:
But we don't know that. Jesus even stated that things shall come to pass, yet that will only mark the beginning. No one knows the appointed time, not even the angels. Only the Father knows the day, the hour and the moment. There are things yet to be. These "signs" are only the beginning, like birth pangs of a woman about to go into labor.

We are also specifically told not to worry about it.

v/r

Q
yes you are right ,noone knows the day or hour , but we have to be ready for the time when God will step into the affairs of man , when this system comes to its end , when Jerusalem came to its end in 70 c.e. the christians had heeded Jesus warning and fleed to a place of safety, so that they would not be destroyed along with the rest of those in Jerusalem.

Let us examine more closely Jesus’ statement at Matthew 24:34, 35: "Truly I say to you that this generation will by no means pass away until all these things occur. Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will by no means pass away." Jesus’ words that follow show that ‘nobody knows that day and hour.’ Far more important, he shows that we must avoid the snares surrounding us in this generation. Thus Jesus adds: "For just as the days of Noah were, so the presence of the Son of man will be. For as they were in those days before the flood, eating and drinking, men marrying and women being given in marriage, until the day that Noah entered into the ark; and they took no note until the flood came and swept them all away, so the presence of the Son of man will be." (Matthew 24:36-39) Jesus here compared the generation of his day to that of Noah’s day.—Genesis 6:5, 9; .
This was not the first time that the apostles heard Jesus make this comparison of ‘generations,’ for some days earlier he had stated concerning himself: "The Son of man . . . must undergo many sufferings and be rejected by this generation. Moreover, just as it occurred in the days of Noah, so it will be also in the days of the Son of man." (Luke 17:24-26) Thus, Matthew chapter 24 and Luke chapter 17 make the same comparison. In Noah’s day "all flesh [that] had ruined its way on the earth" and that was destroyed at the Flood was "this generation." In Jesus’ day the apostate Jewish people that were rejecting Jesus was "this generation."—Genesis 6:11, 12; 7:1.

Therefore, in the final fulfillment of Jesus’ prophecy today, "this generation" apparently refers to the peoples of earth who see the sign of Christ’s presence but fail to mend their ways. In contrast, Jesus followers refuse to be molded by the life-style of "this generation." Though in the world, we must be no part of it, "for the appointed time is near." (Revelation 1:3; John 17:16) The apostle Paul admonishes us: "Keep doing all things free from murmurings and arguments, that you may come to be blameless and innocent, children of God without a blemish IN AMONG A CROOKED AND TWISTED GENERATION among whom you are shining as illuminators in the world." —Philippians 2:14, 15; Colossians 3:5-10; 1 John 2:15-17. so this generation is not a length of time or an amount of years ,it is the masses of mankind who are crooked and twisted in their reasoning and attitudes, just as the generation of jews in Jesus day did not recognise Jesus ,they were crooked and twisted in their reasonings, and in noahs day also the people were the same they did not recognize the way to get saved. so it is today the masses of mankind do not recognize the way to get saved............................it is only putting our faith and trust in Gods heavenly kingdom goverment with Jesus as king... Daniel 2;44 that we can survive the day of Jehovah. only Jehovah knows the day and the hour .................................... will we get away safe? are we recognizing the signs of Jesus PRESENCE IN KINGDOM POWER ,THE LAST DAYS STARTED IN 1914 are we welcoming Jesus as the king of Gods heavenly kingdom goverment

Let us examine more closely Jesus’ statement at Matthew 24:34, 35: "Truly I say to you that this generation will by no means pass away until all these things occur. Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will by no means pass away." Jesus’ words that follow show that ‘nobody knows that day and hour.’ Far more important, he shows that we must avoid the snares surrounding us in this generation. Thus Jesus adds: "For just as the days of Noah were, so the presence of the Son of man will be. For as they were in those days before the flood, eating and drinking, men marrying and women being given in marriage, until the day that Noah entered into the ark; and they took no note until the flood came and swept them all away, so the presence of the Son of man will be." (Matthew 24:36-39) Jesus here compared the generation of his day to that of Noah’s day.—Genesis 6:5, 9; .

This was not the first time that the apostles heard Jesus make this comparison of ‘generations,’ for some days earlier he had stated concerning himself: "The Son of man . . . must undergo many sufferings and be rejected by this generation. Moreover, just as it occurred in the days of Noah, so it will be also in the days of the Son of man." (Luke 17:24-26) Thus, Matthew chapter 24 and Luke chapter 17 make the same comparison. In Noah’s day "all flesh [that] had ruined its way on the earth" and that was destroyed at the Flood was "this generation." In Jesus’ day the apostate Jewish people that were rejecting Jesus was "this generation."—Genesis 6:11, 12; 7:1.
(snip)
Hi Mee,

He aslo said there be some standing here that shall not taste of death til they see the son of man coming in his kingdom. Perhaps all those things were fulfilled during that generation but even as the Jews missed Jesus, Christians have missed the kingdom which was there in Jesus's day and still remains here today. Perhaps the only way to know is to look from inside the kingdom instead of with eyes of flesh. Just a thought to consider.

Love in Christ,
JM

[/left]
Hi Mee,

He aslo said there be some standing here that shall not taste of death til they see the son of man coming in his kingdom. Perhaps all those things were fulfilled during that generation but even as the Jews missed Jesus, Christians have missed the kingdom which was there in Jesus's day and still remains here today. Perhaps the only way to know is to look from inside the kingdom instead of with eyes of flesh. Just a thought to consider.

Love in Christ,
JM
the transfiguration was a forgleam of Jesus in kingdom power,
Jesus promises some of them the very thing he denied the faithless Jews—a sign from heaven. "Truly I say to you," Jesus says, "there are some of those standing here that will not taste death at all until first they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom." (Matthew 16:28) Obviously, Jesus is not saying that certain ones of his disciples will live until the establishment of the Messianic Kingdom in 1914. Jesus has in mind giving three of his intimate disciples a spectacular foregleam of his glory in Kingdom power. This visionary preview is called the transfiguration.

Back