Because I said so...

What about it?

Chookhim is (to my knowledge...) 'heavenly decrees' found in the torah, such as you can't eat pig and you can't wear items of clothing with wool contents and such... Apparently they are beyhond human logic and understanding, and jah knows best for people and he can forsee future so he knows why these decrees are logical... Sorry thats all I got.. heh.

Sure.

It's essentially a type of mitzvah that doesn't have a reason we can so readily connect with it besides maybe "God said so" or "Submission to Something Greater" depending on how you want to look at it. This is in contrast from those mitzvot that are observed as a reminder of something that happened (eidot) and those mitzvot which are moral in nature (mishpatim.)

Chukim have been suggested to have been the type of mitzvot that stick in you the most, that really become etched into you.

Dauer

Thanks to you both.:)

I think sometimes people get caught up in wanting to figure out why instead of just saying "because He said so" and leaving it at that.

Thanks to you both.:)

I think sometimes people get caught up in wanting to figure out why instead of just saying "because He said so" and leaving it at that.
Hi Prober, being one of those who are not satisfied with 'because He said so,' :)

I might suggest that decrees that, as dauer says, don't have a reason we can so readily connect with, do in fact have the purpose of distinguishing the community, living in a sacred manner. Not everything needs to be logical to have spiritual value.

just a thought,
luna

Hi Prober, being one of those who are not satisfied with 'because He said so,' :)

I might suggest that decrees that, as dauer says, don't have a reason we can so readily connect with, do in fact have the purpose of distinguishing the community, living in a sacred manner. Not everything needs to be logical to have spiritual value.

just a thought,
luna

Hi Luna!

I completely agree. I know G-d has a reason for everything. I don't always need to know what it is.

Back