Declaration Stories

M

Mick

Declaration stories are always interesting to me. It is a question I like asking other Baha'is. A persons declaration is life changing and most of us remember every detail. We had a thread that asked what caused us to become convinced in our belief system that had got hijacked by somebody and the theme of the thread got lost in 9 pages of nonsense. So, because Popeye suggested I start a new thread, I did. Let me start it out.

My Grandmother was a Baha'i and recognized Baha'u'llah in the late teens or early 1920's, being taught by Corrine True in Fruitport, MI, where Mother True (as the believers in West Michigan called her) had a summer home. My mother was the second youngest of 10 children and was herself a Baha'i. She was not very active, but I did go to youth classes until I was about 10 years old. The classes were held in Muskegon, MI and we lived about 10 miles out into the country and the trip was a hardship at that time. After Shoghi Effendi died, my mother kind of pulled away from the Faith and I was pretty much cut off from other Baha'is, occasionally seeing a couple of my Aunts and a cousin that was still very active with the Baha'i community.

My mother had attended the dedication of the House of Worship in Wilmette, IL, in 1954 and bought my older sister and I a prayer book, where she had taped a wallet sized picture of 'Abdu'l-Baha' into the front cover. I used to go to bed with this prayer book and look at 'Abdu'l-Baha's picture, just being overwhelmed with feelings. As time passed and I became a teenager and started attending Christian churches with a girl friend that eventually became my wife, I wandered from the Faith. Remember, I only had that prayer book to keep me connected and occasional interaction with an Aunt and a cousin.

Fast forward to marrying in a Christian church, becoming a member of the church, becoming disillusioned and leaving the church structure, but still loving Jesus the Christ. I spent most of my 20's looking for the truths of God and found them in many places and from many different people. I was again attracted to Baha'is, but was not very deepened. I started to attend Baha'i functions in the mid to late 70's and it was at the 75th anniversary of a continuous LSA in Muskegon, MI that I was asked "why I wasn't a Baha'i." Ironically it was asked by a seeker.

I had noticed a couple standing off to one side while we were eating and went over and introduced my self and asked if they were their to learn about the Baha'i Faith. They said yes. I suggested that they corner one of the Baha'is and ask them "whatever" because they didn't believe in proselytizing and so probably wouldn't offer information without questions and they started asking me questions. I answered, horribly I may add, but they were persistent and I was willing to offer all my misconceptions I had.

Somewhere along the way the conversation went like this,

"How long have you been a Baha'i?"

I answered, "Actually, I'm not."

"Why," I was asked.

I think I looked dumbfounded. I had never been asked that before and I couldn't answer the question and I told them I didn't know.

Later when I was sitting against a tree, away from everybody else, my wife found me and asked me what was wrong and I told her about the question I was asked. She listened to me carefully and then said, "I have always wondered why you weren't a Baha'i as well."

That was a Saturday, October 21, 1978. I spent the next 24 hours in anguish. I finally, Sunday evening, called a Baha'i friend and asked how somebody went about declaring his belief in Baha'u'llah. He said I'll be right over and I said no, just tell me. He was pulling in my driveway in less than 10 minutes. Well we spent most of the evening and into the wee hours discussing the Baha'i Faith and my feelings. The next morning I went to my Aunt Carol's house, who I call my "guiding light" and signed a card in front of about 15 witnesses. It turns out the LSA of Muskegon had been praying for my declaration for a couple of years.

Well they shared a dozen books with me and I proceeded to deepen and found out that I had known nothing about the Baha'i Faith or Baha'u'llah's claims. I can remember my surprise (shock?) to find out that Baha'u'llah claimed to be the promised one of all religions. You see, I became a Baha'i because I loved the people and had prayed with Baha'i prayers for my whole life. Well, I decided to check this out. Many Baha'is I have talked to said they spent years or months investigating the truths and the claims of Baha'u'llah. I am probably one of the few that declared and then spent a serious year trying to find one fallible instance in Baha'u'llah. You see, secretly, I felt that if I could find that one fallible thing about Him, I could kind of pick and chose those things I wanted to pay attention to in the Faith. For instance, I may want a beer once in a while and this would allow me to do this.

Of course, as the Baha'is that may read this know, a serious year of deepening in the writings did nothing but convince me of the truths of the claims of Baha'u'llah. All my questions of the past concerning religion and our relationship with God seemed answerable rather than fleetingly difficult to get a hold of. I became a Baha'i in 1978. I became a Baha'i with a developed soul in 1979.

"I bear witnes, O my God, that Thou has created me to know Thee and to worship Thee." has become my anthem. The love of humanity is my desire. The spreading of these sweet princples is my hope.

Mick

Mick... that's an excellent story! Inspirational.

My story is rather humdrum by comparison... I was raised a Baptist and one day the minister inthe church challenged the congregation to find a better church...so I figured I should attend several and seek some answers. I began reading the Bhagavad Gita and during a Baptist devotional read from the text of the Gita itself...these were passages that were devotional or Bhakti ... After the reading the Gita in the devotional service, people came up later and said they were very impressed and asked where it came from...I told them flat out it where it was from... Later at a church camp they had a competition to see which cabin was the cleanest...so i set up a devotional display with the Gita open and guess what? The cabin won the prize...

Anyway I became certain that the great Prophets of God and the great religions contained truth and were on a par...

It took a reading of the text "Baha'i World Faith" in the public library to convince me that if I ever met a Baha'i in person I would have to declare my faith and become a Baha'i. THis actually occurred a few months later and I declared in summer of 1965...

Ya Baha'ul'Abha!

- Art

I became aware of the Faith in late '74, when I was producing and directing a production of Archibald macLeish's verse play on the Book of Job "J. B." Michael Stammer and Margaret Enger were in the company of actors, and also students at the University of Texas at El Paso-Michael in the Dance department and Margaret in the theater department.

Since the play is religious in nature and the location was a Presbyterian Church lots of discussion of religion was enjoyed and fought over. Michael had been Baha`i a few years, Margaret had just declared a month or two before.

I started attending firesides and Holy Day events. Over the period of about ten months I invented a couple dozen excuses why I would not be Baha`i, but my objections faded away when I learned more. Finally there was no alternative but declaration. I declared at the Feast in late August and have been happily educating myself ever since.

My difficulties were subordinating myself to several of the social laws and finding fault with Islam. A good friend of mine was Jewish and his biggest obstacle was accepting Christ as a Manifestation of God.

I met my wife in 1976, and a friend at the theater where we worked introduce me to her as a Baha`i. She needed to do a paper on a religion she knew nothing of for her sociology of religion class. She needed to interview me. She did, we married in 1977, declared about six weeks later, and she turned the paper in a year later after taking an incomplete in the class.

The professor said it was her best work, but "your professional detachment was shot to hell."

Old prayer books have tales...

Mick,

I read with some interest your statement:

"My mother had attended the dedication of the House of Worship in Wilmette, IL, in 1954 and bought my older sister and I a prayer book, where she had taped a wallet sized picture of 'Abdu'l-Baha' into the front cover."

That may have been the old blue Baha'i prayer book? I was thinking that old prayer books also have some tales to tell... My "spiritual parents" passed on a few years ago and left me an old black prayer book that was really thin from the forties... It had their names and the names of the Baha'is that gave it to them in the early forties. It's really cool to have those memorabilias!

- Art

Re: Old prayer books have tales...

Art,

Actually, the prayer book is a hard cover and it is green. It sits right next to my monitor today and the pages have turned a deep yellow, but I still use it, though I don't carry it with me anymore.

I was fortunate, also. After moving into the City of Muskegon, I was elected to the LSA in 1981. The make-up of the Assembly was 8 women and me. 6 of the women were in their 60's or older. How wonderful it was to be directed, and oh yes loved, by these early declarers. As they passed away, I was given many books from their libraries. Most I still have, but some have been passed on. I still enjoy picking up one of the older copies and while looking through it, noting the column notes and underlinings that had been made by these individuals. This, of course, was before deepening classes and and Administrative order for that matter. How dedicated and sure of their love for Baha'u'llah they were.

I too had a slim black book given to me. It had some prayers, some Hidden words and some selections from the writings. Maybe 30 pages at the most. I can imagine that in the 20's and 30's, this could have been one of the few things printed in English.

I sure do miss these ladies. A rush of memories just everwhelmed me. I enjoyed them so much. They loved me as they did all of humanity. They were so individually humble and precious, I come to tears trying to describe them.

Mick

Mick,

I read with some interest your statement:

"My mother had attended the dedication of the House of Worship in Wilmette, IL, in 1954 and bought my older sister and I a prayer book, where she had taped a wallet sized picture of 'Abdu'l-Baha' into the front cover."

That may have been the old blue Baha'i prayer book? I was thinking that old prayer books also have some tales to tell... My "spiritual parents" passed on a few years ago and left me an old black prayer book that was really thin from the forties... It had their names and the names of the Baha'is that gave it to them in the early forties. It's really cool to have those memorabilias!

- Art

I was raised Catholic and thought I was comfortable with my faith except it always bothered me that everyone else was going to go to hell...
When I was 4-5 I would tell my family that I knew I would witness Christ's return. They thought I was silly...
I was probably 9 when I first heard of the Baha'i Faith...Listening to a Seals and Crofts album and noticed "from the Baha'i Sacred Writings" under some of the lyrics...I ran around the house asking everyone what's this? what's this?...no-one knew. 19 years later...I applied for a secretarial position at a Community Action Agency. I felt the interview went will and was optimistic as to the outcome. I received a call saying I did not get the position but would I come in to interview for the position that was vacated by the person who did get that job. I went in for the interview. I felt it went even better than the first and I knew when I left there that I really wanted this position. I went home feeling confident and nervous at the same time. So I closed my eyes and prayed "Dear God, if it be your Will, may I please get this job" Instantly I knew I had to write a letter saying how much I would enjoy the job and promised they wouldn't be disappointed. So I did. A few days later I received another call. This time saying, "when can you start?". So I began my new job in November -92. I was now clerical support for the Iowa WIC Program...we would set up mobile clinics in nine Iowa counties. I used to be on the WIC program with my children and always thought that I would enjoy that position and now here I was...It was fascinating to me that this was not even the job I originally applied for. My co-workers were all quite spiritual people, 3 Catholics, including myself, Several other Christian denominations and 1 Baha'i. I didn't realize she was a Baha'i until some time later when one of my Catholic co-workers said "Don't mind Janet, she belongs to this weird religion, and doesn't eat for long periods of time." Of course that peaked my curiosity so one day when Janet and I were working together alone I asked her what religion she belonged to . She told me she was a Baha'i and told me a little about it. I recognized the word Baha'i and asked is she had any literature I could read. A few days later she brought me "Thief in the Night" by William Sears. I couldn't put it down, this was all so incredible, I set out on a thorough investigation. I read everything I could put my hands on. The principles of this faith were everything I had always believed in, I just hadn't known the source of my beliefs. Now I did. I signed my card in March '94. Janet later told me that Jan (our boss) had decided to hire another lady, but didn't call her right away as she usually did. She procrastinated just long enough to receive my letter and called me that night. It's still so amazing to me how things worked out. If I would have gotten the job I originally applied for, I would never have gotten to know Janet. It is so Awe-inspiring to actually witness His invisible hand at work.
Ya-Baha'ul'Abha!

Hi!

I grew up a very active Christian to the extent that during my teenage years I had a part-time job (for no pay) in the church every week! I was also an enthusiastic religious debater. . . .

I was the one who printed the Sunday bulletins, put up the hymn numbers, changed the candles and boiled the candle burners (the glass caps on the candles), etc..

And when the church got a carillon (bell system), I helped install it and was then the only one who knew how to operate it! So I became the virtual Quasimodo of my church! :)

I first heard of the Baha'i Faith while in North Dakota (of all places!) through a public-service spot aired by a local Baha'i DJ; it was something like 'The Baha'i Faith is a world religion teaching peace and unity. For more information call ///-////." I never called, but I'd heard of it from that.

Eventually, I met a Baha'i at a social center and happened to be sitting across the room when she was firesiding someone else on a sofa. She was describing the principles of the Faith, and I was thinking, "That's me she's describing!" Later on she invited me to a fireside. I went, kept going, started reading, and drove the Baha'is crazy with questions for months on end!

At one point, I found myself--still not a Baha'i--telling someone else, 'This is really neat: you should check it out." I finally said "This is ridiculous!" and enrolled.

That was over 35 years ago, and in that time I have NOT ONCE found any reason to regret my decision!

(And as icing on the cake, I've since been singing in the Voices of Baha touring choir, the Baha'i Gospel Singers, and other Baha'i choirs--every chance I get!) :)

Best, :) :)

Bruce

Back