Singing and Holiday songs

wil

UNeyeR1
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Tis the Season...

We sat around the piano singing Christmas Carols the other night. My mom played piano enough to allow us to sing as kids with her and dad.

I've got many fond memories of Caroling and hot chocolate...how about you?

Now I'm not just talking Christianity, or just holiday times. I'm wondering how much song, singing songs, old favorites v. pop music is in your life.

I know when I go to the synagogue, we sing more than we sing in my church.

And not having a piano player in my house my kids don't and won't have the same memories as I.

So how about your youth...and how about today...Do you sing? and what are your favorites?

2 funny tonight we went to a holiday party. A friend asked me and my kids to go to a friend of hers. So it ends up that I know about a half a dozen people there from over the years and what happens after food and conversation?

Instruments start coming out and a basket of song books is put out. We had a 12 and a 6 string guitar, a mandolin, a harp, a violin, and a hand drum. I counted 23 people singing. I had a blast, and my kids sang and now have some of those memories.

Now those of you that have read my posts know that I believe our words and our thoughts have an impact on our lives. And to some of you, you may say so, it is a coincidence, but to me the post of 1:30 took less than 7 hours to affect the ethers and manifest something unexpected.

wil...

I believe that you were a Pythagorean in a former life. They believed that musically arranged structure was the basis of all reality and nature, as do I.

I used to sing as a large part of my life's activities, but something took it away from me about fifteen years ago. Now I write alot. Lots of similarities between the two activities in the artistic process. But writing is about composing and performing at the same time, while singing and performing the compositions of others, who sometimes composed the music long ago, is different in a temporal sense.

There's nothing quite like singing something like Handel's Messiah with a large chorus and a full symphony, which I've done several times. I've also done it from the symphony side. As you pointed out, there's something of the sense of magical transport when this sort of activity is done with others, especially if they are close to us. It harmonizes the emotional and psychological states of the performers and takes them to better places.

I even wrote an essay about all of that at one time, about fifteen years ago. And, of course in church, where I sang in choirs for about forty five years or so, you officially become a member of the clergy when you are singing.

flow....;)

Hi Guys--

Wil, what happened with the music at the party you went to is something that happens with my family and friends quite often. It isn't just during the holiday season, but there does seem to be something about this time of year that beckons us to sing, to celebrate, and to blend our voices together in praise, joy, anticipation, etc.

Flow--I didn't know you had been a singer. "The Messiah" is quite a project! And, believe me, you still sing, and quite well. ;) :)

I could think of so many songs to list. Hard to say which is my seasonal favorite. And I would list some here, and I might later on, but I'm rather more interested in hearing from others right now. Maybe there will be input from all kinds of traditions. That would be so interesting to me.

InPeace,
InLove

Hi Guys--

Wil, what happened with the music at the party you went to is something that happens with my family and friends quite often. It isn't just during the holiday season, but there does seem to be something about this time of year that beckons us to sing, to celebrate, and to blend our voices together in praise, joy, anticipation, etc.

Jim Beam and eggnog ?

Flow--I didn't know you had been a singer. "The Messiah" is quite a project! And, believe me, you still sing, and quite well. ;) :)

Thanks InLove...as do you my sweet.

flow....;)

At my sister's house the jams often start (6 piano's (three grands) a violin, trumpet, flute and picolo all in house) but they are all Jazz not into much sing-a-long...more like groove along and enjoy for me...(you can listen to her husband's band here)

Awesome, wil! Thanks for that link. :)

Maybe someday J.H. and I will put something online (I know I keep saying that--maybe if I say it enough....?)

By the way, as far as seasonal music goes, I like "Oh Holy Night" and "Love Came Down at Christmas" and "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" and, and, and...

(I like the poetry of Christina Rosetti, and I like the way my sweetheart musically interprets it.)

I would still love to hear from some folks with different traditions than my own! (Then I'll tell more. ;))

InPeace,
InLove

Both of my parents are not good singers and neither were any of their five kids I included, however, my Mom are I were both classically trained on the piano. We would play the piano and sing awy much to our poor dogs dismay so she would join in howling. I really loved those times.
With my own children we sang to carols from the old record player and now it has been passed down to my grandsons. Which is a hoot since one boy has a very deep voice while the little one squeaks when he sings.
We also have a tradition for Christmas. One Christmas eve and I started when my girls were tiny. I would read them the Christmas story without fail.
Another tradition is buying simple gifts for the domestic violent shelter, nothing too expensive but I wanted them to learn that giving is much more important in the season or anytime then receiving.

Back