Ten Principles to live by

Cage

Spirit Guided
Reaction score
Ten basic principles for living a fulfilling life​

1) "None are better than another, nor is any one man, or woman looked on with more favor by the divine, we are all equal in the eyes of our creator/s".

2) “Acceptance of others is a primary key in attaining an inner freedom. We are all of the same mind, we share this life together. To embrace those that seem different, is to embrace the entirety of one’s self.”

3) "Love is more than an idea; it is what drives mankind towards union with all divinity; it is what fuels peace within self, and peace on earth; it is the ultimate state of nirvana in this lifetime"

4) “Faith is not blind belief, it is derived from personal experience of the divine, nor is lack of faith a flaw, it is merely an absence of, or failure to realize one's own divine experience"

5) “We are not punished for our sins, we are punished by them. One's inner reality is solely dependent upon one's ability, or lack thereof to Love."

6) "Free will is a right, it is not something to place rules upon; it should be respected as long as one's free will choices do not impose upon another’s."

7) "Belief in the divine is not necessary to gain a spiritual fulfillment"

8) “An active lifestyle promotes healthy spiritual growth; physical exercise helps one's clarity of thought, and it strengthens one's condition of heart."

9) “An appreciation for life is a central element of inner peace.”

10) “Life is about balance, and fulfillment; w/o one the other will fall.”

Discuss?

Yes, no, maybe?

James

Interesting list, I like it. It has much of my belief system embedded in it.

I'm very interested as to where it came from.

I find an interesting dichotomy between 1 & 7 but can accept that you don't have to believe in the divine for the divine to benefit you.

It has some similarities to the following list from a company I work with.
There is a more detailed description of each essential under the health article tab. TriVita - Welcome

On item 10 of the list below...relationship with G-d/creator, I think this is written a little to Judeo/Christian for my taste, but as usual modify my perception of the words to fit my paradigm.

10essentials.gif

Hey, wil! :) Do those sublingual B12's work? I've been wanting to try them for years, lol!

The list came from another website I post on. Me and a few others put it together in attempt to help atheists come closer to experiencing the divine. We did it under the curtain of developing a new religion, err philosophy that all can incorporate into their lives. The main goal was to help others experience what it means to know the divine intimately, yet w/o having to believe in God or gods. We've put up a website, and have added some further explanations under three of the principles so far. Plus We've added a forum for discussion of the principles to help us gain a deeper understanding of them.

It's pretty fun, actually. I wanted to see how they would fair over here, so I could make adjustments where needed in attempt to make them more valuable. I must admit, I didn't expect to do all this, but people really took to them, so we decided to take it a step further. Some are even suggesting we write a book, lol! I'm sure a few main line Christians would take slight offence to some of the explanations and views, but they can still incoprporate most of the principles into thier current dogma, and perhaps be the better for it, lol!

James

Hey, wil! :) Do those sublingual B12's work? I've been wanting to try them for years, lol!

...w/o having to believe in God or gods.
Youse sneaky. Trying to babystep atheists. Doesn't number 1 about the equality in the eyes of the creator defeat your purpose or the sin quote?

As for the sublingual...the ads work! Millions of customers...seriously great for calming, and increasing HCA (to decrease heart issues) and as far as a supplement goes...2% of B-12 gets into your blood through digestion, 98% sublingual...same result as the shot.

Nah, the explanation for the 1st principle helps, lol! As for the sin quote, the explanation for it will shed some light as well. Baby steps. :D

This is only part of what we have, will have for the sin quote:

We are the prisoner, and the warden both rolled into one. We enslave ourselves to feelings such as anger, guilt, bitterness, jealousy, envy, hate, etc. and we lose our natural self inside these negatve spirits; far too often do we let them control our being, and they deny us of inner peace. One's sins do not derive from deeds, but by one's inner state of soul.

Sin is translated into missing the mark, the mark represents spiritual fulfillment. When we miss the mark, we are in effect imprisoning ourselves by our emotions. The truth is that we are in control, we are the warden, and we can free ourselves whenever we choose. These "sins" all produce a spiritual death, and the only way to free ourselves is by embracing love on a deep, spiritual level. If we love purely, then these negatve spirits cannot harm us. We are in complete control, inasmuch as we "allow" ourselves to love.

I'll try those subligual B 12's eventually, lol! After I can afford them./shrug

James

1) "None are better than another, nor is any one man, or woman looked on with more favor by the divine, we are all equal in the eyes of our creator/s".

None of us is a better person than Adolf Hitler or Charles Manson? That's not too encouraging.
2) “Acceptance of others is a primary key in attaining an inner freedom. We are all of the same mind, we share this life together. To embrace those that seem different, is to embrace the entirety of one’s self.”

To what extent should we "accept" or "embrace" Adolf Hitler? What does this mean?

3) "Love is more than an idea; it is what drives mankind towards union with all divinity; it is what fuels peace within self, and peace on earth; it is the ultimate state of nirvana in this lifetime"

This strikes me as an exaggeration. There are many practices that might promote inner peace.

4) “Faith is not blind belief, it is derived from personal experience of the divine, nor is lack of faith a flaw, it is merely an absence of, or failure to realize one's own divine experience"

So lack of faith is not a flaw, and yet may be a flaw?

5) “We are not punished for our sins, we are punished by them. One's inner reality is solely dependent upon one's ability, or lack thereof to Love."

Again, this sounds like an exaggeration. Love is great and all, but it isn't everything.

6) "Free will is a right, it is not something to place rules upon; it should be respected as long as one's free will choices do not impose upon another’s."

I agree here. But I'm not sure why you think this.

7) "Belief in the divine is not necessary to gain a spiritual fulfillment"

This is certainly true. However, how does this square with #4?

8) “An active lifestyle promotes healthy spiritual growth; physical exercise helps one's clarity of thought, and it strengthens one's condition of heart."

Okay.

9) “An appreciation for life is a central element of inner peace.”

Probably so, since one can hardly have inner peace without being at peace with one's own nature as a living being.

10) “Life is about balance, and fulfillment; w/o one the other will fall.”

I'm all for balance and fulfillment. But I'm not certain that one can have one without the other. It seems to me that these are intertwined.

eudaimonia,

Mark

None of us is a better person than Adolf Hitler or Charles Manson? That's not too encouraging.

First, we are talking about the divine (God) here, and not your personal opinion of Hitler or Manson. Why would the Divine feel a need to favor or (Love) one person over the other, no matter what they choose to do?

Even career criminals are viewed the same by the divine; the very same love is offered to them that is offered to those who live in the light. This cannot be denied no matter how much one tries to do so. We can justify ourselves until blue in the face, or we can condemn ourselves until we weep, but these are self created states, and they bear no light on how the divine views its creation. Any man, woman, or child can reach spiritual freedom once they realize that none are better than another, and that the divine extends the same grace upon the sinner and saint alike. One’s state of being is solely dependent upon one’s willingness to change.

The Christ man:

"But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
"That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust."

Jesus suggested that all are the same in the eyes of the father, and we are to love even our enemies. A pure love is unconditional; and this is the kind of love God has for his creation...All of it, including Manson and Hitler.

To what extent should we "accept" or "embrace" Adolf Hitler? What does this mean?

Lets be realistic, you aren't going to embrace a serial killer like you might a minster, but what you can do is have compassion for a lost individual. Understanding that we are all the same, and equal as human beings is the first step to accepting the faults in self. When you Judge others based on thier faults, you haven't accepted that you sin as well. Even Jesus forgave the adulterous woman, the theives who died with him, and those who murdered him. "Forgive them father for they know not what they do"

All are equal, and by embracing those who are different in the sense that you embrace the person and not their actions will lead you to better accept your own faults. Inner peace is the main goal, and we simply cannot feel that peace when we view others in a negative. We cannot experience this peace or freedom if we view ourselves in a negative. In order to attain freedom and peace within, we must first come to accept ourselves, and our neighbors as being equal. We are extensions of the divine, we are divine, and we are but pieces of the divine. Together we help make the whole, and the whole becomes off balance without the view of equality. Every time we view another in a negative, we throw ourselves off balance, and it effects us on a spiritual level. Think about how many times you have let another person disturb your peace. Now, imagine if you viewed them as equals; what do you think you would have felt?

This strikes me as an exaggeration. There are many practices that might promote inner peace.

Love is more than a mere feeling. It is also more than action. Love is an essence on which we base this philosophy. Love has powers that, when utilized, can heal any spiritual ailment. It leads us towards union with the divine, as the divine’s very essence is Love. When we embrace this “Spirit” we begin to awaken to our inner strength. We become confident, bold, peaceful, and strong. Love is not mushy, or weak, nor is it always gentle, or kind. Love is a lion that can move mountains on a spiritual level. When one embraces love, they are in fact embracing the divine. There is no greater force in this universe than love, and this is the foundation of our third principle.

Jealousy, anger, bitterness, disgust, greed, selfishness, pride, hate, slothfulness, wrath, lust, envy, intolerance and every other spiritual negative can be conquered through love. These are the spirits that hinder one’s inner peace, the goal is to rid ourselves of these negatives. The truth is that we are in control every moment of our lives when it comes to our spiritual state of being. We choose to become angry, we choose to become jealous, we choose to envy, we choose hate, and if we can choose to embrace these negatives, then we can also choose to embrace love and rid our being from them. This is a simple truth, but many refuse to realize the reality of this truth. We are in control, and to deny this fact is to deny one’s responsibility for self.

Try it for yourself, mate and you'll understand it better. Love heals all spiritual ailments, it promotes inner peace, love IS the answer for a spiritually fulfilling life. Love IS the Divine, or God!

So lack of faith is not a flaw, and yet may be a flaw?

No it's not a flaw, we can all experience the divine through love, but not all will recognize it as being divine, therefor no faith is not a flaw, only lack of personal experience, or view of God.

Again, this sounds like an exaggeration. Love is great and all, but it isn't everything.

That's where you are mistaken, perhaps you don't know God as love, or the Christ man as love, love is everything and more...It is the divine!

I agree here. But I'm not sure why you think this.

Because I view it to be a truth

This is certainly true. However, how does this square with #4?

How do you mean?

I'm all for balance and fulfillment. But I'm not certain that one can have one without the other. It seems to me that these are intertwined.

You can't have one w/o the other, that's the point...

James

I see 10 and I think of the 10 precepts. Sometimes they are expressed as positives, but more usually (perhaps because we are trying to move FROM imperfection) as negatives, thus:

1. not to kill,
2. not to steal,
3. not to misuse sexuality,
4. not to lie,
5. not to cloud the mind with intoxicants,
6. not to criticise others,
7. not to be proud or slander others,
8. not to covet,
9. not to give way to anger,
10. not to slander the three treasures (The teacher, the teaching and the class).

s.

Back