Paradise and The Fall

Luna,

You said,

"...not sure it would be an orthodox way of stating it."

--> Do you feel a need to always be orthodox in your views?

Lol, What's with the psychiatrist impersonation? :p

No, just trying to be clear about what are my personal views (the theology of lunamoth) and what I would consider traditional/orthodox doctrine. Pretty much all of my views are going to be considered heterodox by someone. :D

As far as the idea of religious principles is concerned, I think we are merely fumbling over definitions. You said,

"I personally do not think it is about dedication to specific religious principles...those principles and doctrines are only good to the extent that that help us understand God's nature, love God and each other."

--> For me (a non-monotheist), God is a religious principle. Turning to God, and living an intentionally God-centered life are religious principles. For you, no, for me, yes. I suppose we need to consider the differences we have in defining God. My definition and your definition are different.
Well, if we are going to compare, we do need to try to be as clear as language allows. I've had too much experience with people using the same language to mean totally different things...and likewise using different language to express pretty much the same principle.

What you call God, we call Almighty God. When we say God, we mean the main Deity of the universe — actually the Deity is the universe. We call this Deity the Son. However, the Son is not the Father, and the Father is not the Absolute. (I am starting to get into a deep, metaphysical definition of the Trinity, so I must stop. I am getting off-topic.) This is why I said a dedication to specific religious principles (God, etc.) is the way into Christian Heaven. Therefore, in essence, we are talking about the same thing.

So, in conclusion, Theosophists feel that merely understanding and loving the Deity will not get us to Nirvana.

OK, that helps, and I'm sorry to keep sounding like a broken record, but the Way to heaven/eternal life is Love. :) I now understand that you believe otherwise...but I bet in the end what it looks like in our lives is pretty much the same.

Hi Nick –

You asked:
I have always understood the Christian position that we are all basically sinners unless we change our ways. Is this not true?

The Christian, in fact the Abrahamic, position is that sin is alien to our nature, which is fundamentally good. Thus the call to 'change our ways' is to become who we actually are, not something other than we are.

Sin is a self-inflicted wound, if you will, a disorder of the will, which reverberates through the whole being, and is evident in disordered passions and their apetites ... the reason for the appelation 'of the flesh' in Scripture is a metaphysical indicator that such a state is not of the essence of humanity, sin arises in the will, not the soul, which is the 'blueprint' of the person; the soul determines what we are, it is a logoi, but a logoi which is not free (in the sense that 'I' am a human being), whereas the will is free within the logoi of its being ... free in the sense that it can subvert itself by claiming to be itself in an absolute and thus self-determining sense ... this sense of 'absolute autonomy' is what freedom is, and it is a sense imbued in the soul because the soul bears the imprint of its Creator who is autonomy, absolutely.

It is the seductive but substantially superficial glamour of autonomy, the desire 'to be like gods', that brought the Primordial Couple down, and the 'karmic effect' of sin, if I can so say, is that fallen man develops a taste for, an addiction to, his fallen state.

By change of ways we mean change of heart, metanoia, and as any addict will tell you, man cannot overcome his additions unless and until he truly wants to.

And as soon as he does, to the degree that he does, he finds God ready to help him overcome himself supernaturally ... he is in touch with the logoi of himself, and through that logoi the Logos Of All Things ... this is why Divine Justice proceeds Divine Mercy; why the sickness has to be diagnosed before a cure can be effected ... were it the other way round, God would be allowing man to deceive himself.

(1) Bad karma, is, well, bad karma.
As above, I would say karma is the outcome of self-determined action, and bad karma in that sense is the outcome of sin...

From a metaphysical perspective, the adjective 'good' or 'bad' is dependent upon the ability to comprehend karma as a principle – which in the absence of any definition I assume to be cause and effect.

Equally, as I have offered elsewhere, in a Comparative sense I see karma and sin as signifying a prior concept of justice, by which I mean the mean by which (Good Lord, a chiasm! I'm deep into the Gospel of Matthew at the moment, whose structure is chiastic) we determine good and bad as such. In that sense, karma is an objectivisation of the principle, sin is a subjectivisation of the same.

(2) We sometimes hear the question, "Why is there so much evil in the world?" The author quoted below is saying that we must freely choose to be good...

What follows is essentially the same as Christian doctrine, and in fact, I think, any Religious Tradition ... the Hindu, the Abrahamic, the Buddhist, the Daoist, the Shamanic ... all address the question.

The fundamental address of which in the Abrahamic Traditions, addresses how man is free, and why. What it means to be 'free' metaphsyically ... In Genesis, man is defined as free, founded on the ontological notion of 'Free' as a transcendental – like Good, Truth, Reality – in that in an Absolute sense, only God is Free, Truth, Goodness, Reality, Beauty, Bliss, with no limitation or reservation, no prior determination ... God is by nature what God is, under no prior derermination or condition ... God is, God is not caused to be ... the Apeiron of Greek theosophy, the Arche Anarchos[i/] of Patristic Theology.

Man, on the other hand, has a nature which is open to the Supernatural, and can know himself in the Supernatural (transcendance) and the Supernatural in himself (Immanence) ... the journey, man's vocation, is the from lower to higher is seen as a stripping away (ascesis) of the substantial form to realise the essence of that form ... and Scripture is a description of that journey from 'self' to 'Other' in which the self subsists, but in so doing, to be at all possible, understands that his substantial being (selfhood) is not only 'ordered by' but ontologically 'founded in' God, by the very fact that God ahas determined human nature as being essentially 'very good' and by extension, the superlative of every other transcendental.

Man, alone in all creation, symbolises (both transcendentally and immanently) all that is Good, True, Real, Beautiful, Blissful, and so forth, in a necessarily subsistent and thus contingent mode of being ... were this not so, man would be God.

Man can be in God (the doctrine of theosis or filiation), but man is not God, and in Christian doctrine to such degree that any distinction between God and man disappears – cf the Matthean parables of 'the Kingdom', the Markan 'Messianic Secret', the Lucan 'Lordship', the Johannine 'Vine' and the Pauline 'Mystical Body' ... which all make up the Church ... these themes are explored most directly in the body of Patristic Literature and are taken as doctrinal and dogmatic when the Fathers are in accord with Apostolic Tradition, in the Doctors (luminously metaphysical in Aquinas and Bonaventure) and ever in the words of the mystics, from Dionysius the pseudoAreopagite onward, and famously, of course, in Eckhart.

The response is that make man to be good only implies he is not free, and as such not human but, as Bailey says "an automaton. The rest of the quote only re-presents common doctrines in all the world's religions.

But I still don't see how, in light of the above, one can say "Sin is not a Theosophical concept"? How can one determine 'good' and 'bad' and not 'sin'? Good and bad are objective determinations, 'sin' is a qualitative determination of an act, the outcome of which can be said to be good or bad.

Thomas

Hi Nick and Luna –

A good debate going on here. But I must pick up on this, and would suggest it an interesting topic for its own debate ... one that is discussed here often.

I'm conflating your posts here, Nick, but hopefully not altering the sense in so doing.

The Absolute is limitless, unknowable, and undefineable. The limitless part is key.
I think this is common to all Traditions.

The Absolute allows part of itself to be limited (to be "trapped inside of matter") for the purpose of gaining experience.
Here Abrahamic Traditions would disagree, and I think Hindus and Buddhists would also. If the Absolute is indeed absolute, then it can suffer no constraint. It is not deficient in any way; nothing can be added to it, nothing can be taken away; it cannot grow, nor can it decrease; it cannot be multiplied, nor can it be divided, so there is nothing the absolute can gain, there is no experience other than itself.

The question then is why? And as Absolute there can be no element of coercion, nor necessity, so it can only be as Gift, the essence of which is Love.

The "limited section" of the Absolute (called the Son, or the universe) takes on layers of materiality. When the final veil of materiality is taken on, the physical world appears. The Son has now traveled from the super-spiritual down to the mundane.
This is key to the difference, in your philosophy you define the Son cosmologically, in hierarchical degrees and modes of manifestation, the Son is 'caused' by the Absolute.

Monism and Emanationism is rejected by the Abrahamics in defence of the the metaphysical principle of the Absolute as such. Likewise we 'define' the Son metaphysically, as ontologically (begotten) in the Absolute, prior to any cosmological determination, which is subsequent to the Principle as such. The Patristic teaching of God as Arche Anarchos ('Principle without Principle') and the Son as Logos or Arche ('Principle') talk of this. The Logos was in the Absolute before the World existed, and the world was brought into existence by the Logos – as Our Lord said, "Before Abraham was, I am."

This Fall into matter is seen as a sin in Christianity.
There was debate amongst the Fathers, notably Origen, as to whether the soul existed before the flesh, but the error inherent in this (Platonic) philosophy was made explicit and corrected in St Maximus (6th century), and expanded by his student, Eriugena (in the 9th). Nicholas Cusanus is another notable, especially for his contribution to the foundations of modern scientific theory.

The fall in Christianity is seen as a moral fault that necessarily preceeds any material outcome, Christianity treats of the causes, before it deal with the effects.

However, Theosophy views it as a positive event, a normal progress of the evolving of the universe.
The Abrahamic Traditions view the Kosmos as a Divine Good – a Theophany – marred by this human moral fault.

Humanity has completed the first half — the phase from spiritual down into matter — of a complete cycle. We are now in the upward phase of the cycle, on our return back to the spiritual.

Christianity does not limit spiritual realisation in man to temporal or cosmological condition. The world, yes, but man, no. God is open to and calls to all men and all times ... 'The first shall be last, and the last shall be first' means they shall all be one ... the possibility then, to be first or last, exists in succession (time and space) and in simultaneity (the soul).

+++

At this point, it may be good to compare Christian requirements for Heaven vs. Theosophical requirements for Nirvana.

I think, from the above, that the Theosophical mis-understanding of Christian doctrine, and of the Trinity in particular, is at the root of a whole raft of erroneous assumptions.

However, the Son is not the Father, and the Father is not the Absolute. (I am starting to get into a deep, metaphysical definition of the Trinity...
That is a cosmological triune, but not the Christian Trinity, nor anywhere near it.

If I can find time, I'll post some excerpts from St Maximus, from his Hundred Sentences on Theology. In the meantime, here's an extract from an online glossary of metaphysical terms utilised by Frithjof Schuon:

Absolute / Infinite:
In metaphysics, it is necessary to start from the idea that the Supreme Reality is absolute, and that being absolute it is infinite. That is absolute which allows of no augmentation or diminution, or of no repetition or division; it is therefore that which is at once solely itself and totally itself. And that is infinite which is not determined by any limiting factor and therefore does not end at any boundary; it is in the first place Potentiality or Possibility as such, and ipso facto the Possibility of things, hence Virtuality. Without All-Possibility, there would be neither Creator nor creation, neither Maya nor Samsara.

Thomas

Thomas,

Thank you for your posts. I feel all of us benefit from this discussion, because all of us are somewhere on the sin-karma spectrum.

But first I must ask (I may have already asked, I don't remember): Do you believe in the forgiveness of sins?

Thomas,

You asked if I believe in the forgiveness of sins. I most certainly do not. This is the difference between sin and karma. There is no such thing as escaping bad karma. It cannot be "forgiven".

Yes, this discussion is going very well. There has been a certain blending of sin and karma. I am only too happy to un-blend them.

~~~

You are quite correct to point out the contradiction of the Absolute "limiting" a part of Itself. My explanation suffers from anthropomorphization. Quite frankly, I do not know what the Absolute is. However, as stated before, there is no way humans can understand the Absolute — no way the Absolute can be described. I have sat through discussion groups where people try to come up with characteristics to describe the Absolute. It cannot be done.

"This is key to the difference, in your philosophy you define the Son cosmologically, in hierarchical degrees and modes of manifestation, the Son is 'caused' by the Absolute."

--> You have described it perfectly.

"Monism and Emanationism is rejected by the Abrahamics...."

--> The beauty of religious pluralism is our ability to appreciate our differences. By Monism are you referring to the Monad?

"The fall in Christianity is seen as a moral fault...."

--> This is a key difference between your and my belief systems.

"The Abrahamic Traditions view the Kosmos as a Divine Good – a Theophany – marred by this human moral fault."

--> That is a fascinating statement. So everything in the universe is good — except humanity?

"...the Theosophical mis-understanding of Christian doctrine...."

--> Oh, we understand it all right, we just do not agree with it. Theosophy offers an explanation of the Trinity, but not a Christian explanation. Theosophy gets its idea of the Trinity from Theosophy, not from Christianity.

"...erroneous...."

--> Thank you for a chance to practice my compassion.

"That is a cosmological triune, but not the Christian Trinity, nor anywhere near it."

--> I never said it was. We have finally established the idea that other people besides Christians teach the idea of the Trinity. Also, I like your wording of Trinity as a cosmological triune — that describes the Theosophical idea nicely.

Schuon on sin:
Sin: By “sin” must be understood our separation from the Divine Center insofar as this shows itself in attitudes or acts; the essence of sin is a forgetting of the Absolute, which is at the same time the Infinite and the Perfect, and this forgetting coincides with centrifugal passion and at the same time with egoistic hardening.
[TM, Usurpations of Religious Feeling]

Schuon on karma:
Karma-Marga:
The path of action (the Hindu karma-marga) refers to the Divinity’s aspect of Rigor, whence the connection between this path and “fear” (the makhafah of Sufism): this aspect is manifested for us by the indefinity and ineluctability of cosmic vicissitudes; the goal of the path of action is liberation from these vicissitudes, and not from Existence itself, as in the case for the path of knowledge.

But this liberation through action is nonetheless a deliverance, namely, from the cosmos of suffering; and if it is action which here plays the part of support, this is because it is by action that we situate ourselves in time which, as the destroyer of beings and things, is precisely a manifestation of the divine Rigor . . . What confers on action its liberating quality, is its sacrificial character: action must be envisaged as the accomplishment of the dharma, or “duty of state,” which results from the nature of the individual, and it must consequently be accomplished, not only to perfection, but also without attachment to its fruits (nishkama-karma).
[EH, Modes of Spiritual Realization]

+++

In the above I think we can define sin as an 'attitude', I would say a moral disposition, which gives rise to karma - action - its consequence and its effect.

+++

More Schuon on sin:
If we wish to give the word “sin” its broadest or deepest meaning, we would say that it expresses above all an attitude of the heart; hence a “being” and not a simple “doing” or “not doing” . . .

According to the Bible, the forbidden tree was that of the discernment between “good” and “evil”; now this discernment, or this difference, pertains to the very nature of Being; consequently, its source could not be in the creature; to claim it for oneself is to wish to be equal to the Creator, and that is the very essence of sin; of all sin. Indeed, the sinner decides what is good, counter to the objective nature of things; he willingly deludes himself about things and about himself, whence the fall, which is nothing other than the reaction of reality.
[PM, Delineations of Original Sin]

“Sin” is thus defined as an act which, firstly, is opposed to the divine Nature in one or another of its forms or modes (the reference here is to the Divine Qualities and the intrinsic virtues which reflect them) and which, secondly, engenders in principle posthumous suffering; it does so “in principle”, but not always in fact, for repentance and positive acts on the one hand and the divine Mercy on the other efface sins, or can efface them.
[LAW, In the Wake of the Fall]

Sin (by omission):
According to the Apostle James, he who knows to do good and does not do it, commits a sin; this is the very definition of sin by omission, but at the same time it goes beyond the framework of a formalistic and exoteric morality.
[PM, Delineations of Original Sin]

+++

Again, in every case, sin is that which gives rise to that which is called karma.

+++

To offer an answer directly:
You asked if I believe in the forgiveness of sins. I most certainly do not. This is the difference between sin and karma. There is no such thing as escaping bad karma. It cannot be "forgiven".

Matthew 9:2
"And behold they brought to him one sick of the palsy lying in a bed. And Jesus, seeing their faith, said to the man sick of the palsy: Be of good heart, son, thy sins are forgiven thee."
In healing the man by forgiving his sin, Christ evidences the ontological relationship between sin and karma. He forgives the sin, and the palsy, 'bad karma' is 'healed'.

Isaias 44:24
"Thus saith the Lord thy redeemer, and thy maker, from the womb: I am the Lord, that make all things, that alone stretch out the heavens, that established the earth, and there is none with me."

Apocalypse 21:5
"And he that sat on the throne, said: Behold, I make all things new."

Yes, this discussion is going very well. There has been a certain blending of sin and karma. I am only too happy to un-blend them.
So am I.

If the Son/Logos is limited to the cosmological sphere, then sin cannot be forgiven, sin is an offence against the Absolute, and consequently karma cannot be undone.

But if the Son is in the Absolute, then He can.

You are quite correct to point out the contradiction of the Absolute "limiting" a part of Itself. My explanation suffers from anthropomorphization.
All religion suffers this.

Quite frankly, I do not know what the Absolute is. However, as stated before, there is no way humans can understand the Absolute — no way the Absolute can be described. I have sat through discussion groups where people try to come up with characteristics to describe the Absolute. It cannot be done.
I would suggest discussion groups is the wrong place to look ... or their definition is at fault. The Absolute as absolute can be comprehended through the teachings of the Great Traditions – Moses and the Kabbala; the Christian mystics (notably Eckhart) and monasticism; the Sufi – Ibn 'Arabi; the Hindu – Shankara; and Buddhism – explicitly in Zen.

There is the Absolute of the apophatic or negative way, which stresses utter negation, the 'neti-neti' (not this-not that) of the Hindus, the Void of Buddhism, the Ground of Eckhart; and there is the Absolute of the cataphatic or positive way, in the Greaty Chain of Being, Divine Plenitude ... it must comprise both ways to be itself Absolute – the 'Void' is not a vacuum in the sense that it is positive in itself, it is not 'nothing', but rather a place beyond 'thing' or 'beyond-being' ...

Eriugena wrote about the Absolute as 'not created and does not create' as one of the Four Divisions of Nature (he used the term natura is a very specific metaphysical sense to encompass the Supernatural also) and in that sense it is impossible to describe, because it does not create, there is nothing for the senses to register ... the intellect arrives at a darkness it cannot illuminate, the Void, or the 'Superessential Darkness' of the Areopagite ... a darkness which means either there is nothing there, everything is meaningless, or a darkness of 'Superabundant Radiance' that is, in effect, a positive register 'off the plot', that which transcends the limits of the intellect ...

"This is key to the difference, in your philosophy you define the Son cosmologically, in hierarchical degrees and modes of manifestation, the Son is 'caused' by the Absolute."
You have described it perfectly.
In ours the Son is in the Absolute, and the Absolute is in the Son.

"Monism and Emanationism is rejected by the Abrahamics...."
The beauty of religious pluralism is our ability to appreciate our differences. By Monism are you referring to the Monad?
Not in that sense. Monism defines the Kosmos as a mode of the absolute (pantheism) and as such in a sense is defined and limited thereby (such a God must by necessity be a Kosmos – else it cannot be considered absolute – unless we accept the Demiurge, which introduces a whole raft of metaphysical paradox and contradiction). The Christian monad is the Absolute as such, and is metakosmic, it does not need a Creation. Creation is theophanic, and Divine in origin, but not Divine as such – it is not God.

The Abrahamic outlook preserves the 'absolute' integrity of its Monotheism by showing God as having no need, necessity nor dependency upon the cosmological. That is the Abrahamic Monad.

"The fall in Christianity is seen as a moral fault...."
--> This is a key difference between your and my belief systems.
OK.

"The Abrahamic Traditions view the Kosmos as a Divine Good – a Theophany – marred by this human moral fault."
That is a fascinating statement. So everything in the universe is good — except humanity?
No. Everything in the universe is essentially good, but brought down by humanity, because humanity is the intermediary between Creator and creation ... he is the Kosmic gardener, his raison d'etre in Genesis:
"And the Lord God took man, and put him into the paradise of pleasure, to dress it, and to keep it." (2:15)

But the gardener introduced something alien into the garden, and desecrated it.

Romans 8:22-23
"For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now. And not only [they], but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, [to wit], the redemption of our body."

"...the Theosophical mis-understanding of Christian doctrine...."
--> Oh, we understand it all right, we just do not agree with it. Theosophy offers an explanation of the Trinity, but not a Christian explanation. Theosophy gets its idea of the Trinity from Theosophy, not from Christianity.
That is what I'm suggesting, its not the Christian Trinity – the metaphysical data you are working with doesn't come from Christianity.

"That is a cosmological triune, but not the Christian Trinity, nor anywhere near it."
--> I never said it was. We have finally established the idea that other people besides Christians teach the idea of the Trinity. Also, I like your wording of Trinity as a cosmological triune — that describes the Theosophical idea nicely.
Which only serves the point I have been labouring, perhas too hard.

In such cases I would use trinity with a lower case 't'. This is generally accepted practice in metaphysical circles. Trinity implies the Christian doctrine, trinity as such is indeterminate, qualified by whatever doctrine it refers to, such as Egyptian tritheism, or triunes in Hindu polytheism and metaphysics, or Theosophy, or Anthroposophy. Likewise prophet is indeterminate, whereas by the Prophet with a capital 'P' is understood Mohammed (PBUH) the 'Seal of Prophecy' in the Tradition of Islam. I think the practice originated with the Perennial Philosophy as a mark of respect.

Trinity with a capital 'T' describes the metacosmic Principle to Itself, prior to Creation, prior to cosmology. So I would still say that many doctrines teach the idea of trinity as a relative mode of divine manifestation, but only Christianity teaches a Trinity as Person, prior to and the principle of, manifestation.

If I may paraphrase your words:
The beauty of religious pluralism is our ability to appreciate our differences ... There has been a certain blending of trinity and Trinity. I am only too happy to un-blend them.

Thomas

Thomas,

It is an interesting idea, the idea that sin causes karma. The difference is, perhaps sin can be forgiven, but bad karma cannot.

You said,

"...the metaphysical data you are working with doesn't come from Christianity.... Which only serves the point I have been labouring, perhaps too hard."

--> I believe we agree on this — the Theosophical interpretation of the Trinity is different than the Christian interpretation, and certainly does not come from Christianity. I thought you saw this from the beginning.

Thank you for pointing out the various interpretations of the Trinity. I think many people thought the Trinity was a concept only taught in Christianity. We have now shown them it is not.

I did want to get back to your statement, "But I still don't see how, in light of the above, one can say 'Sin is not a Theosophical concept'? How can one determine 'good' and 'bad' and not 'sin'?"

--> I just want to verify I answered your question here. Sin is not a Theosophical concept because sin can be forgiven (so the Christians say), and is therefore irrelevant. Bad karma must be paid back, and so it is the only relevant point of the two.

One more thing: We kind of discussed the relation of the Son to the universe. Christianity sees the Son as embodied in the physical body of Jesus Christ. Theosophy does not — the Son is embodied in the entire universe (actually the Son IS the universe.)

~~~

If anyone else is interested, a book has been written, which is basically a dialog (debate?) between a Christian and a Theosophist. Feel free to take a closer look at Theosophical-Christian dialog, if you wish.

Link to online book — The Key to Theosophy by H. P. Blavatsky

Link to hardcopy — "The Key to Theosophy" by H. P. Blavatsky, from Theosophical University Press

Hi Nick –

I believe we agree on this — the Theosophical interpretation of the Trinity is different than the Christian interpretation, and certainly does not come from Christianity. I thought you saw this from the beginning.
No. I assumed the capital "T" referred to the Christian doctrine, as I explained.

Thank you for pointing out the various interpretations of the Trinity. I think many people thought the Trinity was a concept only taught in Christianity. We have now shown them it is not.
As long as we observe the big T/little T distinction. As the saying goes, 'the devil is in the detail'. The Christian doctrine of the Trinity is unique in that sense.

I did want to get back to your statement, "But I still don't see how, in light of the above, one can say 'Sin is not a Theosophical concept'? How can one determine 'good' and 'bad' and not 'sin'?"

I just want to verify I answered your question here. Sin is not a Theosophical concept because sin can be forgiven (so the Christians say), and is therefore irrelevant.
An act of God is hardly irrelevant ... or is it irrelevant because Christians believe in it?

Bad karma must be paid back, and so it is the only relevant point of the two.
By 'bad' you suppose a qualitative distinction that conditions karma – is 'bad' determined by the effect of things done, or the reasons for their doing?

I don't see how the outcome – karma – bears no relevance to its cause.

If you say the attitude doesn't matter, then there is no question of qualitative distinction, and I don't see how karma can result, except as an undeserved punishment.
If you say the attitude is itself determined by prior karma, then the person has no free will, and the automaton applies.

If sin can be forgiven, karma is forgiven;
otherwise a debt is cleared, but the money still has to be repaid?

+++

One more thing: We kind of discussed the relation of the Son to the universe. Christianity sees the Son as embodied in the physical body of Jesus Christ. Theosophy does not — the Son is embodied in the entire universe (actually the Son IS the universe.)
Then Theosophy does not see the Son the Christian sees.
The Christian would say the Theosophist mistakes an effect for its cause;
the universe is in constant change; the Christian Son is Eternal, Changeless.
The Christian sees the Cause as prior to and transcending anything It effects.

Once again – the Christian Trinity is not cosmological.

It is nearly dawn outside my window ... time for bed.

Thomas

Thomas,

You said,

"As long as we observe the big T/little T distinction."

--> I do not plan to put such a limitation on my spelling. You may, if you wish.

"...is 'bad' determined by the effect of things done, or the reasons for their doing?"

--> I have heard both sides of the story, regarding karma. I believe negative effects cause bad karma, although bad intent carries much more bad karma.

"If sin can be forgiven, karma is forgiven...."

--> Since karma cannot be forgiven, then your logic proves sin cannot be forgiven. We have proven sins cannot be forgiven!

"Then Theosophy does not see the Son the Christian sees."

--> I agree. As I said before, I am excited that many people are hearing of a non-Christian interpretation of the Trinity for the first time.

"...the universe is in constant change; the Christian Son is Eternal, Changeless."

--> Theosophy disagrees on this point. The Son only appears periodically, at the beginining of each universe. The Son appeared in this universe when the phrase (to use the Christian terminology) "And there was Light" was spoken (Son = Light). At this time, time had already become linear, so there was no Son before the Light — rendering the Son non-eternal, as Theosophy teaches.

"...the Christian Trinity is not cosmological."

--> The Theosophical Trinity is.

~~~

By the way, I have heard that the Trinity was the key issue that caused the Roman Catholic Church to split from Eastern Orthodoxy.

"The greatest schism which has ever occurred in the Christian Church was that between the Eastern and Western branches, the Greek Church and the Roman. The doctrinal reason alleged for it was the supposed corruption of the truth, by the introduction into the Creed of the word filioque at the Council of Toledo in the year 589.

The question at issue was whether the Holy Ghost proceeded from the Father alone, or from the Father and the Son. ...both parties were right, and that if they had only clearly understood the matter there need have been no schism at all.

The Latin Church held, quite reasonably, that there could be no manifestation on the [Manas] plane of a Force which admittedly came from [Atman], without a passage through the intermediate [Buddhi Plane], so they declared that He proceeded from the Father and the Son. The Greek Church, on the other hand, insisted absolutely on the distinctness of the Three Manifestations, and quite rightly protested against any theory of a procession from the First Manifestation through the Second..."

link to online book — Theosophy : Man Visible and Invisible by C.W. Leadbeater

link to hardcopy — Quest Books

--> Apparantly, the Roman Catholics saw the Holy Ghost as a manifestation from the Father and Son, while the Greek Orthodox did not — causing the Schism. Do you agree?

~~~

"It is nearly dawn outside my window ... time for bed."

--> I am an airline pilot, so it is easy for me to calculate local time in England. I was surprised to see you posting at 5:00 am local time! I hope you get enough rest on Sunday, before facing another week.

Hi Nick –

"As long as we observe the big T/little T distinction."
I do not plan to put such a limitation on my spelling. You may, if you wish.
It's not so much a limitation, as a metaphysical and theological distinction. Big T means Trinity as Deity, little t means trinity as cosmology. In English it was customary to accord Divine Names the capital. Thus Truth and truth, etc.,

Since karma cannot be forgiven, then your logic proves sin cannot be forgiven. We have proven sins cannot be forgiven!
No, we have 'proven' no such thing, and I'm surprised you'd think a Christian would even try. We have offered an exchange of philosophies.

"...the Christian Trinity is not cosmological."
The Theosophical Trinity is.
Therein lies the difference.

+++

By the way, I have heard that the Trinity was the key issue that caused the Roman Catholic Church to split from Eastern Orthodoxy.
Indeed it was.

"The greatest schism which has ever occurred in the Christian Church was that between the Eastern and Western branches, the Greek Church and the Roman.
The first, but not the greatest. That, I would suggest, was the European Reformation. The schism between East and West has been resolved, the Reformation schism continues...

The doctrinal reason alleged for it was the supposed corruption of the truth, by the introduction into the Creed of the word filioque at the Council of Toledo in the year 589.

The question at issue was whether the Holy Ghost proceeded from the Father alone, or from the Father and the Son. ...both parties were right, and that if they had only clearly understood the matter there need have been no schism at all.

Leadbeater was correct to refer to a 'supposed' corruption. St Maximus the Confessor said at the time: "[Latins] cannot reproduce their idea in a language and in words that are foreign to them as they can in their mother-tongue, just as [Greeks] too cannot do."

Eastern Orthodox Bishop Kallistos Ware, who once adamantly opposed the filioque doctrine, stated in May of 1995: "The filioque controversy which has separated us [Eastern Orthodox and Catholics] for so many centuries is more than a mere technicality, but it is not insoluble. Qualifying the firm position taken when I wrote [my book] The Orthodox Church twenty years ago, I now believe, after further study, that the problem is more in the area of semantics and different emphases than in any basic doctrinal differences" (Speech to a symposium on the Trinity; Rose Hill College, Aiken, South Carolina; author's emphasis added). In light of this PCPCU document, and similar ones, Bishop Ware is probably right: "the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father alone" and "the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father and the Son" may both have orthodox meanings if the words translated "proceeds" actually have different meanings.

The Father as the Source of the Whole Trinity is the title of a document that discusses: 'The Procession of the Holy Spirit in Greek and Latin Traditions'

Thanks for that. Too often people assume the schism still holds.

I was surprised to see you posting at 5:00 am local time! I hope you get enough rest on Sunday, before facing another week.
Unfortunately the roofers next door decided to work on Sunday as well, so I could not even snatch another hour!

Thomas

Back