How much did Jesus know he was God?

didymus said:
I personally don't believe Jesus was or is God. I believe he was completely filled with God's spirit and performed miracles. It was obviously a calling he had from childhood and it eventually blossomed into a tremendous faith in the Father and His will for him.

At no point did Jesus say he was God. The real reference to Jesus being God came in the gospel of John. In the preceding letters and gospels there is no direct mention of it by Jesus himself.
at least we will always have one thing in common to stand together on.

he did say along with the other teaching in the bible, he was a lot of other things though, that would put him right up there at the top...so he may as well be God now cause I think that is how God wanted it to be.
God was IN Jesus and Jesus was IN God.

Isa 9:6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

Heb 1:5 For unto which of the angels said he at any time, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee? And again, I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to me a Son?

Heb 1:8 But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom

1ti 3:16 And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.

I dont have a solid view on the diety of Christ I dont want one and feel it has very little to do with the example He left for us. He knew who He was He showed by actions who He was. Belief in Jesus is the only way so where He stands God or Son wont change that.
I look forward to a day when God will be known by me the way I am known of God until then I will enjoy the mystery.

Quahom, all of the references that I know of about alpha and omega are from revelations. These aren't dierect quotes from Jesus but rather a vision by the author of the book. There is some speculation as to when it was written, possibly from 54ad- 95.

The alpha and the omega, the first and last. I think this is similar with Paul's language of the first and last adam.

1 Cor. 15: 45-46; So it is written: "The first man Adam became a living being", the last Adam, a life giving spirit. The spiritual did not come first, but the natural, and after that the spiritual.

20 "I am praying not only for these disciples but also for all who will ever believe in me because of their testimony. 21 My prayer for all of them is that they will be one, just as you and I are one, Father – that just as you are in me and I am in you, so they will be in us, and the world will believe you sent me. 22 "I have given them the glory you gave me, so that they may be one, as we are – 23 I in them and you in me, all being perfected into one. Then the world will know that you sent me and will understand that you love them as much as you love me.

This is from the new living translation.

Quite a few of us have stated that God is too big to comprehend (to "KNOW")
Therfore is it too much of a stretch to think that the Christ was the embodiment of God that dwelt among us so that we could grasp the understanding of how HE (God) wants us to live. Jesus had human attributes (Son of "Man-ness"). so that we would be able to fit the very concept into our own frame of reference. verse 22 quite clearly says that the Father and Son are one. Jesus (fully God) modeled for us the way we ought to live (fully submissive to the will of the Father). People usually agree tha they couldnt be as obedient as Jesus...well theyre right they couldnt. Only a being perfectly in harmony (or one) with God could be that way. Jesus had very human emotions (im sure he didnt want to be crucified) but he also knew that he had a specific purpose.
I agree with the writer that said God gave Jesus certain attributes at certain times...all to make him able to be understood by us. Jesus understood that he was God....when?....when he needed to. Just as we cant comprehend the vastness of God, I dont think we can comprehend the true communication and "oneness" of the Father Son and Holy Spirit. If we did we wouldnt need faith would we? Funny, I think that desire to know everything is what got us here in the first place.

P.S. can anyone kindly tell me how to put quotes from other writers in my reply...I'm a newbie and keep mesing it up:(

According to Greek translators the type of oneness that Jesus spoke of between he and God was of unity. He spoke of a one in unity not one in being. In greek there are 2 different forms of to be one. The greek word used was ein.

Taken from the english we have only one form of one. We have to specify further for clarification. Understand what I'm saying? That might sound confusing.

Back