Jonah and the "Great Fish"

fish means fish.
fish does not mean boat. If you have some piece of evidence that the thousands and thousands of translators did not have showing it was a boat then please show us all.

The Hebrew word for the creature that swallowed Jonah is
hs342.gif
hs343.gif
, which in the Strong's means fish. In Genesis 1:21, the word for whales is
hs357.gif
hs351.gif
hs360.gif
hs372.gif
, which means serpent, dragon, or monster. So I'm thinking along the lines with wil, that that maybe it wasn't a whale. But what if it were a huge surviving prehistoric fish?

fish means fish.
fish does not mean boat. If you have some piece of evidence that the thousands and thousands of translators did not have showing it was a boat then please show us all.
Namaste Dor,

Glad to have you enter the discussion...I did provide you with my 'piece' of evidence...I questioned its authenticity....hence the discussion.

I am not the biblical archeologist, yet when I came across this comment, I attached the link in the very first post of this thread.

In which if you look at the .pdf the translator states....Note Ch 2, v I. "Great Fish" was the name fo the ship mistranslated "Whale" in the version of the Greek translators, whose blunder has been repeated by all subsequent translators, in all languages, to the perplexity of their readers, until I decided to go back to the original statement of the the prophet in his own Hebrew. --F.F.

Which is exactly why I posted it here, as an inquiry, as I also grew up with the big fish. Now I know the translation for the word is fish...but the question is, in reading the original text in context surrounding the big fish statement is it possible that it is the name of a boat...or does the midrash have any information which would help?

In which if you look at the .pdf the translator states....Note Ch 2, v I. "Great Fish" was the name fo the ship mistranslated "Whale" in the version of the Greek translators, whose blunder has been repeated by all subsequent translators, in all languages, to the perplexity of their readers, until I decided to go back to the original statement of the the prophet in his own Hebrew. --F.F.
Right Wil so he is saying everyone translated it wrong but him. Hmm sounds like ego maybe.
Actually I want to see the originial paper the prophet wrote that said a ship not where some commentator just pulled it out of his butt.

Right Wil so he is saying everyone translated it wrong but him. Hmm sounds like ego maybe.
Actually I want to see the originial paper the prophet wrote that said a ship not where some commentator just pulled it out of his butt.
Namaste Dor,

Me too, exactly why I am inquiring. I don't know what you were taught in school, but our history books told us a story of George Washington and the valiant soldiers at Valley Forge that terrible winter, where they died from malnurishment and froze to death. IT WAS ALL A LIE. A lie repeated in countless history books, until some ego laden individual indicated that everyone translated it wrong!

Am I saying this is the case here? NO. But I'd like to know what is the case and if anyone has ever heard of it, without simply knee jerk reactions.

The mistranslation at Valley Forge was when GW wrote to HQ that his men were starving and naked. And then they looked at the death toll at the camp and determined that they died from starvation and exposure. This was just over 200 years ago, not over 2000 years ago...this was when history was recorded in detail by many individuals after hundreds of books on the subject and
everyone translated it wrong but him.
so somebody decides to do some research and finds that every death, every one that went in for first aid was documented...and there were no, none, zero cases of malnurishment, and no, none, zero cases of even frostbite....yet our history books for years said so, and we have pictures showing the rag tag bunch with rags around their feet.

The problem is starving was a military term that meant 100% of the men did not receive full rations, and naked meant 100% of the men did not have every button and epalut for their uniforms.

Truth was the men received meat(lamb, pork, beef, duck, chicken), eggs, nuts, dried fruits, veggies, root crops and bread every day. The bakery cooked 14,000 loaves of bread a day. Every man was in log bunk houses with fireplaces (not tents), firewood was obtained daily. And the quartermaster was completely stocked with boots, pants, shirts, coats, overcoats everything needed to insure every man was outfitted with a uniform...just didn't have every little sash and feather to make them pretty. They were all soldiers to, trained every day...not a civilian militia that was formed on the spot...

So do I see it possible that someone got it wrong, sure...do I think Fenton Ferrar got it right...not yet...hence the inquiry.

I was lucky enough to take my scouts to Valley Forge and camp in tents and wake up at 10 degrees F, (-12 C) and learn what we now know as truth and erase the myths of my childhood education.

Unfortuneately I haven't yet traveled to Isreal and had the opportunity to discuss with scholars there....

hs342.gif
hs343.gif
hs357.gif
hs351.gif
hs360.gif
hs372.gif
, which means serpent, dragon, or monster. So I'm thinking along the lines with wil, that that maybe it wasn't a whale. But what if it were a huge surviving prehistoric fish?

a very special whale maybe ?
i don't really have any experiance with hebrew i only know arabic and a bit aramic but i think at the time it was written there was no unique word for whales so it was known as a big fish, anyway The largest recorded fish is a blue whale it was over 110 feet long, and weighed more than 400,000 pounds and 50 humans could stand in its mouth and wil i know it is hard to believe but come on we are worshiping god who isnt bound to our understanding of reality.

hs342.gif
hs343.gif
hs357.gif
hs351.gif
hs360.gif
hs372.gif

a special whale maybe ?
i don't really have any knowledge in hebrew i only know arabic and a bit aramic i think at the time it was written there wasn't a fitting word for whale so it was known as the big fish anyway The largest recorded whale was over 110 feet long, and weighed more than 400,000 pounds its mouth is large enough for 50 people to stand inside of it and wil i know it is hard to believe but come on we are worshiping god who isn't bound to our understanding of reality :)

Namaste Believer....I believe whale was always the story mistranslation...but my question is, was the original hebrew indicating a big fish...as oft translated or a boat called the big fish?

i don't really have any knowledge in hebrew i only know arabic and a bit aramic i think at the time it was written there wasn't a fitting word for whale so it was known as the big fish anyway The largest recorded whale was over 110 feet long, and weighed more than 400,000 pounds its mouth is large enough for 50 people to stand inside of it and wil i know it is hard to believe but come on we are worshiping god who isn't bound to our understanding of reality :)

The fish is a real fish, but this is not the deeper aspect of the Biblical story, and shouldnt be the major thing we take from this message.

Back