PC madness G-d is banned

What I don't understand is what the "compromise" was. They asked for an exemption due to beliefs and were told to bugger off, so how can that be a compromise?

Oh you're so refreshingly straightforward!! Unfortunately in the murky world of modern politics words are mere tools to be manipulated. There is no simple truth for politicians; politicians have a "relationship to the truth" which varies from circumstance to circumstance, IMO!!!

I suppose (oh no I'm relating Bliar's words...) the compromise is that Catholic agencies wanted to be able to opt out of the legislation; they can't but they've been given 21 months to worm their way around the legislation.

s.

I'll pray for you.

(oops, THIS IS the lounge, am I allowed to say that?)

Well if you mean it, thank you. (What would the prayer be? PM if you think it appropriate.) I think the lounge is just fine for this.

But why do you say that based on what I said in my post?

s.

Oh you're so refreshingly straightforward!! Unfortunately in the murky world of modern politics words are mere tools to be manipulated. There is no simple truth for politicians; politicians have a "relationship to the truth" which varies from circumstance to circumstance, IMO!!!

I suppose (oh no I'm relating Bliar's words...) the compromise is that Catholic agencies wanted to be able to opt out of the legislation; they can't but they've been given 21 months to worm their way around the legislation.

s.

Oh I thought there was a law against politicians telling the truth?! Oops sorry it isn't called lying in politics but spin - much more acceptable.

Not much of a compromise imho, "you have 21 months to fit your square peg idea into our triangular hole, whether you like it or not".

I would still like to hear opinions about where the rights of religious people fit into this modern, accept all attitude. Or is it that religion does not fit so will in time itself become illegal?

Everyone is a "minority" in something and every one naturally wants their "rights". As a gross generalisation it is often the case that the rights of one "group" transgress the "rights" of another e.g. (as if you need one) I'm a vegetarian and I demand the right to have choices in a restaurant. The more vegetarian choices on the menu, the less meat choices for meat-eaters wanting to exercise their right to choices of meat meals. (of course this is an easy one to sort out cos I'm right and they're wrong :D).

In the good old days (not sure when that was) when the population was a more compliant, subservient, homogenous mass :)eek:) such issues probably did not arise.

How's that for an opinion?:p

s.

Everyone is a "minority" in something and every one naturally wants their "rights". As a gross generalisation it is often the case that the rights of one "group" transgress the "rights" of another e.g. (as if you need one) I'm a vegetarian and I demand the right to have choices in a restaurant. The more vegetarian choices on the menu, the less meat choices for meat-eaters wanting to exercise their right to choices of meat meals. (of course this is an easy one to sort out cos I'm right and they're wrong :D).

I am vegetarian too snoopy but do not demand my 'right' to go to a butcher and be sold carrots. I have the right and choice to go to a vegetarian restaurant or choose something vegetarian on a menu in a non-vegetarian place. I certainly don't insist that all restaurants provide for my minority choices. My choice makes me in the minority and I must accept that, not demand that my rights are upheld in order that I do not feel excluded. Surely it is the restaurant owners choice and right to sell what they want and allow people to choose if they want to eat there or not?

How's that for an opinion?:p

Thank you, I do like a good 'opinion' every now and again.:)

OK bad choice of example perhaps. I withdraw it. Here’s one, a religious one. I agree that I should not be able to demand carrots from a butcher. I should however be able to buy meat off the butcher without being refused because the butcher does not like something about me. I offer the butcher the correct money for the product that he is offering and the transaction takes place yes? I do not expect the butcher to say “Yes I am a butcher and I offer meat for sale but I refuse to sell any to you because you are X.” That I would say is a transgression of my right to buy meat off a butcher just like anybody else. If a butcher sets up a public business then it is not appropriate for the seller to pick and choose who they sell to. I think that’s called discrimination.

BBC NEWS | Northern Ireland | Gays? Not in my guest house

s.

I can't argue with that one snoopy. However (you knew that was coming didn't you):

I just did a google search for "gay weddings". There are thousands of sites offering services for gay couples (gay wedding organisers, gay invitations, gay wedding rings - how do you get gay wedding rings?). Anyway, my point is that gay people have the right and choice to offer these services for people that have the right and choice to use them. Now, with the new UK law, if I open a website that states it offers services for "hetrosexual marriage/invitations/rings" etc, I will be at least fined, with my site removed from the web and at worst jailed. How is that right? Why should one group have the right to cater for their chosen market but demand that my right to do the same is removed because it does not include them?

I have the same issue with the female only sauna nearby. I want to use it too!! Because its close of course!!:rolleyes:

...open a website that states it offers services for "hetrosexual marriage/invitations/rings" etc, I will be at least fined, with my site removed from the web and at worst jailed. How is that right?
I have the same issue with the female only sauna nearby. I want to use it too!! Because its close of course!!:rolleyes:
In the US they screamed about men only golf clubs...but now have female only exercise clubs...we also have the Black Congressional Caucus and Black Entertainment Television...could you imagine the uproar if we made it White? Of course the retort is that there have been plenty of hetero wedding supplies, male clubs and all television stations and congressional groups were white until recently... but it all reminds me of my parents saying do as I say not as I do... none of it holds water.

And I am sure you would promise to close your eyes and not peek (without crossing your fingers)?

That is my only point Wil. I am married to an arab so can hardly be seen as a racist but what would happen if you started a white only tv show - jail? The whole thing has just gone too far to protect minorities that the majority are now discriminated against. Yes there have been hetrosexual marriage services for years but under this new law I must cater for homosexuals as well - why?

And I am sure you would promise to close your eyes and not peek (without crossing your fingers)?
...I must cater for homosexuals as well - why?
Oh yes, when I enter the sauna I provide fair warning, I say, "close your eyes ladies, I'm coming in."

and for the second answer...for the tips of course...they pay very well.

Surely you are safe from such a law in Egypt for a while anyway...

Over here...teach kids but you can't touch them..

a kid points his finger and says bang and is suspended
(our cub scouts (first-fifth graders) did a skit in which they banged people dead and the other kids fell to the ground....we got reported to the principle...(not the first time for me)

der pendulum creating pandemonium... pendumonium... pandemonium caused by pendulum swings!

During a search today I found a short article that stated in LA the word G-d was no longer used in school textbooks because he/she was seen as 'too religious'.
I still find this thread hilarious...it starts out with a ...DUH, everyone knows G-d is religious...well not G-d per se, but the word G-d and the emotions surrounding the word G-d...definitely like crying fire in a theater...

second it the title...G-d is banned. Well either G-d doesn't exist hence can't be banned or G-d does exist and may have these omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient attributes hence can't be banned...

So ban away I say...like shooting bullets a superman it has no effect except by us that decide it has an effect...arrgghhh they are shooting at superman...banning G-d....the sky is falling.

Nothing against you MW, just my weird contemplations and enjoyment of the thought

OK MW I can see your point so I too searched and the sites are basically just adverts aren't they? e.g. the lovely Scottish Castle gets a link cos they offer gay weddings but they're also offering any old weddings, stag nights, hen nights, conferences, functions....

I do find it a little confusing though...:p

I remember when the sex discrimination law came out it was proclaimed as the death knell (amongst other things) of single sex hairdressers and everywhere was suddenly a unisex hairdresssers, presumably complying with the law. But now there's plenty of single sex hairdressers again, as well as unisex. So what's that all about then? Or is that a little off topic?:eek:

s.

Oh yes, when I enter the sauna I provide fair warning, I say, "close your eyes ladies, I'm coming in."

And they said there was no such thing as a gentleman anymore lmao.

Surely you are safe from such a law in Egypt for a while anyway...

Unfortunately it is going to affect me directly. The reason I am back in the UK for 4 months is to set up my new website, which has been months in the making. My family are "country folks", horses, dogs, ducks, chairs full of cat hairs, etc and so the people I know don't go to nightclubs etc and the dating websites, they tell me, are just 'meat markets' often for married people to play around. So I decided to do a UK only dating site for country people. The way I designed it didn't have options for homosexuals and married people, I wanted a site that was old fashioned and within my personal moral boundaries. With this new law, if I go ahead, I have to include homosexual options. Next I will have to offer options for married people wanting an affair - wait and see, it's no doubt coming. Yet if I go to a site specifically for homosexuals they are not required to cater for my hetrosexual tastes. I just find it plainly wrong, I am not trying to exclude anyone, just cater for my niche market. I even put in my FAQ's links to sites that cater for alternative lifestyles, specifically so that people did not feel I was making a judgement about them. I was really looking forward to administering my site, running the forum, chating about cow diseases and training horses and quite frankly I have gone off the whole idea. Not because I am against homosexuality but because I am being forced to take my site in a direction I don't want it to go. Sorry I am ranting now but I am just so angry about this.

a kid points his finger and says bang and is suspended
(our cub scouts (first-fifth graders) did a skit in which they banged people dead and the other kids fell to the ground....we got reported to the principle...(not the first time for me)

OMG. One of my favourite games growing up was "dying". My brother and I would take it in turns to stand at the top of a hill and one would 'shoot' the other, the game was who could 'die' best rolling down the hill. No doubt that made my parents whacko's???? The world has officially gone mad.

OK MW I can see your point so I too searched and the sites are basically just adverts aren't they? e.g. the lovely Scottish Castle gets a link cos they offer gay weddings but they're also offering any old weddings, stag nights, hen nights, conferences, functions....

LMAO at your rushing comment. :)

Now google gay dating, search around and see how many offer services for hetrosexuals - I didn't find one and these sites are not covered by the same law as far as I know. Yet as I said to Wil under this new law I must provide services for homosexuals on my hetrosexual website. For me this isn't even an issue of people's lifestyle choices, it is simply about my right to be in the majority. My mother found a form on the internet yesterday where you have to fill in marital status and she was not classed as married, she was in a "non same sex marriage" - I swear that is what it said. Sorry but I really feel my morals are being eroded here by force.

I do find it a little confusing though...:p

A little confusing? I need a lie down and an asprin :D I am still trying to work out what gay wedding rings are?

I remember when the sex discrimination law came out it was proclaimed as the death knell (amongst other things) of single sex hairdressers and everywhere was suddenly a unisex hairdresssers, presumably complying with the law. But now there's plenty of single sex hairdressers again, as well as unisex. So what's that all about then? Or is that a little off topic?:eek:

Not at all the topic is PC madness. The sex discrimination law, even at EU level did not provide for gay people, it was about equality for men and women (equal pay etc). A case, in 1998, that went to the EU court was about a gay girl who could not get free travel for her partner because she was not a spouce and the EU court said this was not covered.

The Court of Justice disagreed and said it was a case of sexual orientation discrimination and not sex discrimination. The Court stated that “in the present state of the law within the Community, stable relationships between two persons of the same sex are not regarded as equivalent to marriage or stable relationships outside marriage between persons of the opposite sex.”

So we have actually moved into a whole new arena with this new law. Maybe tomorrow I shall go to the BMW garage and ask to buy a new bra and if they don't sell me one I shall sue. :D Maybe I am just getting old?

Have you run all this past a solicitor or looked at some legalese websites (such as the governments maybe) ?

s.

Seeing a solicitor is on my list of things to do but what I have gleened so far from the net is that it is better to hedge your bets and allow for women seeking women until a test case comes up.

Back