You

What constitutes a "person" ?

s.
ummm....a few trillion cells designed originally to have opposing thumbs, walk on two legs, think for itself and others, and replicate...

and contemplate why am I here...

and argue that they are right...and you are wrong

and take whatever isn't bolted down...and say mine.

unless someone bigger, or some bigger group, creates reasons otherwise.

IMHO, a person is a closed physical system intended to circulate energy inputs through the use of flesh and mind/soul. It must seek out renewable energy intputs, utilize them effectively for its operations, and efficiently eliminate its waste by-products in order to continue in time until its programmed end time is reached. However, a person is also designed and is self-operated in ways to automatically self-organize and unite with other and diverse persons over its lifetime in ways that enhance the social combinations and structures that it chooses to enter into, with the intent of allowing personhood, in general, to continue on in time past an individual person's demise.

A bit technical, but the way that I see things.

flow....:)

A person is a person first. A body which one can see (with eyes which a person has) or perhaps if the person is blind they could touch the person's body... But around and through the physical body are other wider dimensions which connect the body to other persons.

The person is also a collection of the thoughts the person may have,which they may try to think of something new to change and become a different person. This is sometimes hard.

The person also needs fuel. It generally works better if the fuel is high octane without additives and preservatives and nasty things.

Good fuel for the body, mind and soul

Ardenz :)

I think I am a blend of biological substance, self producing energy and spirit (which is undefinabe). Roll them all together and you get a very complex, yet simple individual.

I think I am a blend of biological substance, self producing energy and spirit (which is undefinabe). Roll them all together and you get a very complex, yet simple individual.

Has the confusion passed then? :)

s.

I absolutely positively refuse to believe I am my thoughts. Rather maybe :
The observer choosing which thoughts to ignore/which to listen too.

I don't believe I'm my thoughts either, or the observer of my thoughts. But I am not quick to say what I am. If I use my personal experience, then my answer is extremely subjective. If I use objective evidence, then all I can come up with is the material. So instead I say nothing while working with whatever map of me is helpful at the given moment.

Dauer

"An individual substance of a rational nature"
Anicius Manlius Severinus Boethius.

"I think, therefore I am."
René Descartes.

"I am, and I am a being that thinks."
Paul Ricoeur.

"Who is it who thinks?"
Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharshi.

Thomas

Dumbledore told Harry that it is not our capabilities that make us who we are but our choices.

I'm inclined to think he was right.

Namiste.

Back