Tv Liscense? What a pile of *£%*£

17th Angel

לבעוט את התחת ולקחת שמות
Reaction score
Have you seen the little piggies crawling in the d
Ok I am now seriously pee'd who else is English here? Who else wants to help me some how get rid of freaking TV Liscense's???? Why should I have to freaking pay? I don't watch the **** on BBC it's crap.... I PAY for cable and NEVER watch B B ****** C! THERE HAS! HAS! To be made a law of some freaking kind to opt out from having this ***** ***** channels... I just had TV liscensing call me and say oh your over due... And I swear and insult them as usual..... And protest they are a bunch of thieving ******** lol.... Anyway, I finished by saying on the 15th I will pay you your ****** blood money and then you can leave me the hell alone... She finished by saying I should reframe from watching MY tv until that date... she can $£$!£ off.....

Doesn't this make anyone eles upset? That YOU HAVE! to pay for this crap... IT's not fair! It's my freaking tv.. I have paid for it... why the hell do I have to give the goverment money? For the privledge of NOT watching their ****?

Discuss....

I can understand how you feel if you never watch the BBC. If I had to pay for ITV or Channel 5, I would probably feel the same as I don’t watch them. I think the key idea is that the BBC should be free of commercial pressures to make programmes that aren’t necessarily just chasing ratings. If all TV was pay as you go I suspect it would be wall to wall lowest common denominator stuff; at which point I’d have mine doctored to just watch DVDs.

s.

I was always amazed at your TV licenses since I first heard about them...way prior to any pay TV over this side of the pond. Pay for TV? How crazy, how can they do that it comes out of the air...

Funny, I watch the BBC, and I can get it out of the air....so if you don't pay for your license they may just cut me off...support the American's 17th!

I actually get cable now...don't have a box though...the landlord pays for it...I sure wouldn't.

We have public broadcasting over here...paid for in our taxes and by public support....its a crock it has commercials but claims it doesn't (that United Airlines jet flying by is just indicating that they support our programming...that isn't a commercial and our announcements for other programs we carry, those aren't commercials either, just like the solid week of fund raising we do, those aren't commercials when you pay for the products that support our station) and when cable was first sold here....it was sold on the basis of no commercials....that lasted a couple of years.

I can understand how you feel if you never watch the BBC. If I had to pay for ITV or Channel 5, I would probably feel the same as I don’t watch them. I think the key idea is that the BBC should be free of commercial pressures to make programmes that aren’t necessarily just chasing ratings. If all TV was pay as you go I suspect it would be wall to wall lowest common denominator stuff; at which point I’d have mine doctored to just watch DVDs.

s.

I would have mine to just DVD's too I suspect.... It just really upsets me.. That someone who thinks they are better than me comes on the phone talking down her freaking nose demanding I don't watch MY tv... I can't help but see red... And not only red... It makes me as I said upset... I feel so sad... Because someone is trying to walk all over me.

I would have mine to just DVD's too I suspect.... It just really upsets me.. That someone who thinks they are better than me comes on the phone talking down her freaking nose demanding I don't watch MY tv... I can't help but see red... And not only red... It makes me as I said upset... I feel so sad... Because someone is trying to walk all over me.
Aren't the licensing requirements older than you are? Isn't it just another form of taxation?

It is exactly the form of taxation that our country (the US) is supposed to have. ie no income tax, but only excise and import taxes... TV is something you can choose to watch or not watch, booze is something you can choose to drink or not drink, highways you can choose to drive on... so over here they are only suppose to tax convenience items...things you can choose away from.... however now income and food are taxed...so much for that.

But I can see reasoning that you have no G!d given inalienable rights to watch the tube...so tax it.

If they were to tax mine, I'd sell it...don't really need it (even though I just bought a new one)

Aren't the licensing requirements older than you are? Isn't it just another form of taxation?

It is exactly the form of taxation that our country (the US) is supposed to have. ie no income tax, but only excise and import taxes... TV is something you can choose to watch or not watch, booze is something you can choose to drink or not drink, highways you can choose to drive on... so over here they are only suppose to tax convenience items...things you can choose away from.... however now income and food are taxed...so much for that.

But I can see reasoning that you have no G!d given inalienable rights to watch the tube...so tax it.

If they were to tax mine, I'd sell it...don't really need it (even though I just bought a new one)

You are not looking at the bigger picture... IF I just want to play computer games... Or watch a DVD I have to pay TV liscense..... :| I have rights... I have rights to freedom! Rights not to have my arse taxed to death.

In the absence of Thomas (who I suspect would put up a stout defence of the BBC)...

The BBC needs the money to make a lot of non-populist programmes which through the years have been of a consistently high standard IMO. These programmes would never have been commissioned in a purely commercial world. We would have a world of reality TV, sport and soap opera. The BBC falls down when it tries to copy the commerical channels and chase ratings. There would be far less (or none at all) quality drama, world class comedies or critical investigative journalism if the BBC was not there either making it or holding up the bar for other channels to aspire to.

Just my opinion of course.

s.

In the absence of Thomas (who I suspect would put up a stout defence of the BBC)...

Ugh he's one of those is he.... *cringes*

The BBC needs the money to make a lot of non-populist programmes which through the years have been of a consistently high standard IMO. These programmes would never have been commissioned in a purely commercial world. We would have a world of reality TV, sport and soap opera. The BBC falls down when it tries to copy the commerical channels and chase ratings. There would be far less (or none at all) quality drama, world class comedies or critical investigative journalism if the BBC was not there either making it or holding up the bar for other channels to aspire to.

Just my opinion of course.

s.

They need money? I don't give a **** lol.... See where I am coming from? I couldn't care less what they need or what they aim to do... OH Listen everyone!!! I need money... So I am starting an online forum Liscense... Simply have to pay me yearly a **** load.... And we're cool.

Well make lots of good programmes and I'll happily pay you to do so!:p

s.

Well make lots of good programmes and I'll happily pay you to do so!:p

s.

Who me? You mean in reference to the Online forum liscense regulation act of 2007..... Oh no, I won't make any good shows... I won't even be on par with other rivals and competition... But, it's mandatory for you to pay the liscense... Seems fair... You are free to go an purchase other online entertainments... But, you still need to have this liscense... So you can watch my shows.... How lucky right?? BB freaking C can some how justify it. So why not I. :D

I think that's where we disagree!

s.

Well that is tough doo doo really isn't it? GIMMY YA FREAKIN' MONEY! NOW!

lol... *ahem* but, If I try to endulge you for a moment with some serious dialog...... If I may?

You believe the point where you and I fail to meet eye to eye is on the quality of the content? Mmhmm... What is on BBC tonight? Or What choice have you got right at this moment on BBC channels? I can't tell I am at work just now.... Show me what you're getting for your money at the moment.....

You are not looking at the bigger picture... IF I just want to play computer games... Or watch a DVD I have to pay TV liscense..... :| I have rights... I have rights to freedom! Rights not to have my arse taxed to death.
um...er....that's the excuse those terrorists used when the colonies broke away.

Can't beat'em join'em I say... start that avatar licensing biz...you got talent...make enough to pay the license and foget aboutit

um...er....that's the excuse those terrorists used when the colonies broke away.

Can't beat'em join'em I say... start that avatar licensing biz...you got talent...make enough to pay the license and foget aboutit

That would be easy... I could make a comedy website... And let rip... Make some amazing flash programmes that were full of chuckles and giggles.... And as you say avatars... And art... and what not... But, I am not one of those that has the "If I can beat um, I'll join um" I am more along the lines of "If I can't beat them, I'll at least try to physically beat them.. If I can't do that I will mentally beat myself with frustration that there is some ass out there making money off people unfairly....."

--edit--

also beat is a term used as to give someone a butt whoopin' A PLAY ON WORDS IF YOU WISH! You! Could call it a play on words.

lol... *ahem* but, If I try to endulge you for a moment with some serious dialog...... If I may?

You believe the point where you and I fail to meet eye to eye is on the quality of the content? Mmhmm... What is on BBC tonight? Or What choice have you got right at this moment on BBC channels? I can't tell I am at work just now.... Show me what you're getting for your money at the moment.....

Well as it’s daytime I imagine it’s rubbish on all the channels. And as I’m picky there’s nothing on any of the channels tonight that I’ll be watching.

As you mention comedy …I know it’s a very personal thing.... but how many top quality comedy programmes have come from the commercial channels? A quick glance at the Beeb site suggests: FawltyTowers, Blackadder, The Fast Show, The Office, Mock the Week, Have I Got News for You, Morecambe & Wise, Monty Python, Porridge, Alan Partridge, Bottom, Extras, The Likely Lads, Ruddy Hell! It’s Harry and Paul, Men Behaving Badly etc etc…

Surely not all rubbish?

I can’t remember the last time ITV had a comedy on that was worth watching.

At the moment, as you ask, on the Beeb I'm watching Mastermind, University Challenge, Nigella Express, Michael Woods' History of India, Mock the Week and Newsnight. Only 6 that I can think of, but 6 more than ITV. And on the commercial side? Channel 4 News.

s.

Well as it’s daytime I imagine it’s rubbish on all the channels. And as I’m picky there’s nothing on any of the channels tonight that I’ll be watching.

As you mention comedy …I know it’s a very personal thing.... but how many top quality comedy programmes have come from the commercial channels? A quick glance at the Beeb site suggests: FawltyTowers, Blackadder, The Fast Show, The Office, Mock the Week, Have I Got News for You, Morecambe & Wise, Monty Python, Porridge, Alan Partridge, Bottom, Extras, The Likely Lads, Ruddy Hell! It’s Harry and Paul, Men Behaving Badly etc etc…

Surely not all rubbish?

I can’t remember the last time ITV had a comedy on that was worth watching.

At the moment, as you ask, on the Beeb I'm watching Mastermind, University Challenge, Nigella Express, Michael Woods' History of India, Mock the Week and Newsnight. Only 6 that I can think of, but 6 more than ITV. And on the commercial side? Channel 4 News.

s.

I am more into the american yanky freaking doodle comedy shows I know shame freaking shame on me.... But there is some sexy chicks in them... Oh yeah..... ANyway! Snap out of it..... Uhm, comedy? Yeah, no I will agree those are some good shos you listed but... I can buy the DVD or download them off line.... I don't like that I -have- to pay like it or lump it....

Mastermind? Hate it lol... Uni challange? Hate it... I can watch game show channels at the flick of a button... They have more exciting shows than that also :\ non stop shows..... News freaking night? Hate it..... Then again I loathe the news anywho... BUT there are 24/7 news channels IF I so needed them.... History of India? Why bother History channel has more than enough for me :\

Could go on.

You gotta swing your hips nah! come on baby! Jump up! Jump back!!!!

watch out!!! going down the locomotion road now

*does a random funky dance*

I am more into the american yanky freaking doodle comedy shows I know shame freaking shame on me.... But there is some sexy chicks in them... Oh yeah..... ANyway! Snap out of it..... Uhm, comedy? Yeah, no I will agree those are some good shos you listed but... I can buy the DVD or download them off line.... I don't like that I -have- to pay like it or lump it....
Mastermind? Hate it lol... Uni challange? Hate it... I can watch game show channels at the flick of a button... They have more exciting shows than that also :\ non stop shows..... News freaking night? Hate it..... Then again I loathe the news anywho... BUT there are 24/7 news channels IF I so needed them.... History of India? Why bother History channel has more than enough for me :\

Well, I like the American comedy Scrubs but I wasn’t trying to persuade you to watch anything I like to watch, just answering your question, me old dude.

As to buying the DVD or downloading…there’s a fatal flaw in your argument isn’t there? i.e. if you don’t give the BBC your money for them to make the programmes in the first place they’re never going to be available on DVD or for download. Short and curlies to you on that one I think!

The history and news programme point…it isn’t just any old history or news so any channel will do, there’s the actual quality of the programmes themselves to consider IMO. Channel 4 News is analytical of important world developments, ITV just tells you about Man Utd and the Queen's new frock.

Anyhoo, just shows we’re all different! What other people like to watch always amazes me, as it probably does you, 17th!

s.

Well, I like the American comedy Scrubs but I wasn’t trying to persuade you to watch anything I like to watch, just answering your question, me old dude.

Mmmm scrubs... Mmmm that blonde doctor.... Oh yah....

As to buying the DVD or downloading…there’s a fatal flaw in your argument isn’t there? i.e. if you don’t give the BBC your money for them to make the programmes in the first place they’re never going to be available on DVD or for download. Short and curlies to you on that one I think!

I was talking more pirate ;/

The history programme point…it isn’t just any old history so a history channel will do, there’s the actual quality of the programmes themselves.

Anyhoo, just shows we’re all different! What other people like to watch always amazes me, as it probably does you, 17th!

s.
Everything amazes me.... It truly does.

I was talking more pirate ;/

Oh, are we back to that internal moral code thing again?;)

If everyone was as "outraged" as you and didn't cough up, there'd be no DVDs or downloads fullstop. So basically you're riding on the back of others. Fair enough.:rolleyes:

s.

Oh, are we back to that internal moral code thing again?;)

s.

Hey, hey.... hey hey hey buster! I am not the bad guy in this! It is the evil coroporations, the big cheeeeese, the man with the chubby lil fingers covereed in gold that grasp around your juglaaaar vein! He's the bad man here! He forces my hand to act!

No! I have to copensate for the attrocities!$£"!$ ATROCITES!E£!E! That have smited me! I have to break even!

Back