Baha'i texts online?

Hi Brian!

Which metaphor? "spiritual rigormortus" is my own (minetend not to be very elegant). The "stars" metaphor is Baha'u'llah's. Sense of, those who should have been "guiding lights" by which people traditionally "navigate," no longer shed light or point the way to the true path, but instead, lead people farther and farther off the path.

I see Jesus' reprimands of the Pharisees as definitely pointing this way - and the symbolic prophecies warning us of this.

The stars metaphor - it made myself immediately think of the "Fall from Heaven" scenario. The explanation you have given is more than thought provoking, and brings new ways to approach that idea. Thanks for that. :)

stars fall

I said:
The stars metaphor - it made myself immediately think of the "Fall from Heaven" scenario. The explanation you have given is more than thought provoking, and brings new ways to approach that idea. Thanks for that. :)

As Barefootgal9 offered, this idea in Baha'i Writings is mentioned in the book I have been quoting from - about 40 pages in ...

"....This is the purpose underlying the symbolic words of the Manifestations of God. Consequently, the application of the terms "sun" and "moon" to the things already mentioned hath been demonstrated and justified by the text of the sacred verses and the recorded traditions. Hence, it is clear and manifest that by the words "the sun shall be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven" is intended the waywardness of the divines, and the annulment of laws firmly established by divine Revelation, all of which, in symbolic language, have been foreshadowed by the Manifestation of God. None except the righteous shall partake of this cup, none but the godly can share therein. "The righteous shall drink of a cup tempered at the camphor fountain."

This is examined further here and the quote can be found (scan down to page 41 though Baha'u'llah starts dealing with the theme around page 24) here

alittle more of the Iqan...

"In like manner, those words that have streamed forth from the source of power and descended from the heaven of glory are innumerable and beyond the ordinary comprehension of man. To them that are possessed of true understanding and insight the Surah of Hud surely sufficeth. Ponder a while those holy words in your heart, and, with utter detachment, strive to grasp their meaning. Examine the wondrous behaviour of the Prophets, and recall the defamations and denials uttered by the children of negation and falsehood, perchance you may cause the bird of the human heart to wing its flight away from the abodes of heedlessness and doubt unto the nest of faith and certainty, and drink deep from the pure waters of ancient wisdom, and partake of the fruit of the tree of divine knowledge. Such is the share of the pure in heart of the bread that hath descended from the realms of eternity and holiness.
Should you acquaint yourself with the indignities heaped upon the Prophets of God, and apprehend the true causes of the objections voiced by their oppressors, you will surely appreciate the significance of their position. Moreover, the more closely you observe the denials of those who have opposed the Manifestations of the divine attributes, the firmer will be your faith in the Cause of God. Accordingly, a brief mention will be made in this Tablet of divers accounts relative to the Prophets of God, that they may demonstrate the truth that throughout all ages and centuries the Manifestations of power and glory have been subjected to such heinous cruelties that no pen dare describe them. Perchance this may enable a few to cease to be perturbed by the clamour and protestations of the divines and the foolish of this age, and cause them to strengthen their confidence and certainty."

Baha'i reference library

Hi Brian,

Just received this email article about a brand new online reference site...

NEW SITE OFFERS EXTENSIVE COLLECTION OF BAHA'I SCRIPTURE

HAIFA, Israel, 2 June 2004 (BWNS) -- The Baha'i International Community yesterday launched a Web site that includes the sacred writings of the Baha'i Faith in English, Arabic, and Persian, as well as other Baha'i publications.

The Baha'i Reference Library offers an extensive collection of Baha'i holy scripture, which includes the writings of Baha'u'llah, the Bab, and 'Abdu'l-Baha.

In addition, the Web site contains works by Shoghi Effendi, the Universal House of Justice, and Baha'i authors.

The launch of the Baha'i Reference Library marks the first time that a voluminous authoritative library of Baha'i scripture and other Baha'i publications has been available on the Internet.

The launch is the first stage of the development of the Reference Library. Other materials will be added as they become available.

"The site is expected to assist researchers, students of religion, and the general public worldwide in gaining greater access to the Baha'i holy texts," said the director of the Office of Public Information of the Baha'i International Community, Douglas Moore.

"It joins the family of Baha'i International Community sites including, among others, the general information site, the news service, and the Baha'i International Community's statement library," Mr. Moore said.

The address of the Baha'i Reference Library is http://reference.bahai.org.

--
2-MD-040602-1-REFERENCE-302-S

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Advance release: Please check our website for the final version of this
article.
Copyright 2004 by the Baha'i World News Service. All stories and
photographs produced by the Baha'i World News Service may be freely
reprinted, re-emailed, re-posted to the World Wide Web and otherwise
reproduced by any individual or organization as long as they are
attributed to the Baha'i World News Service. For more information, visit
http://www.bahaiworldnews.org.
If you have questions about this list or wish to unsubscribe, contact
editor@bahaiworldnews.org

Re: Baha'i reference library

Thanks for that - actually half-way through adding the Quranic texts to the site. Still got a lot of work ahead. :)

_The Hidden Words_

Since we've taken a look at the _Kitab-i-Iqan_ perhaps it would be interesting to take a look at _The Hidden Words_...

"He is the Glory of Glories

This is that which hath descended from the realm of glory, uttered by the tongue of power and might, and revealed unto the Prophets of old. We have taken the inner essence thereof and clothed it in the garment of brevity, as a token of grace unto the righteous, that they may stand faithful unto the Covenant of God, may fulfil in their lives His trust, and in the realm of spirit obtain the gem of Divine virtue.

1. O SON OF SPIRIT!
My first counsel is this: Possess a pure, kindly and radiant heart, that thine may be a sovereignty ancient, imperishable and everlasting.

2. O SON OF SPIRIT!
The best beloved of all things in My sight is Justice; turn not away therefrom if thou desirest Me, and neglect it not that I may confide in thee. By its aid thou shalt see with thine own eyes and not through the eyes of others, and shalt know of thine own knowledge and not the knowledge of thy neighbour. Ponder this in thy heart how it behoveth they to be. Verily justice is My gift to thee and the sign of My loving kindness. Set it then before thine eyes."

From here .

Brian, hi! :)

The Baha'i scriptures comprise fully 200 volumes, half written by Baha'u'llah!

He wrote in Persian and Arabic, and the major works are available in English and over 800 other languages.

Here are some sites that may help:

www.bahai-education.org/ocean (Ocean is multilingual and includes scriptures from many religions.)

www.bahai-library.org (Click "Baha'i Writings" for our scriptures.)

www.bahaistudy.org (This site also has videos and talking books.)

www.reference.bahai.org (this site also has Persian and Arabic.)

Good hunting! :)

Bruce

Re: _The Hidden Words_

More _The Hidden Words_...

3. O SON OF MAN!
Veiled in My immemorial being and in the ancient eternity of My essence, I knew My love for thee: therefore I created thee, have engraved on thee Mine image and revealed to thee My beauty.

4. O SON OF MAN!
I loved thy creation, hence I created thee. Wherefore, do thou love Me, that I may name thy name and fill thy soul with the spirit of life.

5. O SON OF BEING!
Love Me, that I may love thee. If thou lovest Me not, My love can in no wise reach thee. Know this, O servant.

6. O SON OF BEING!
Thy Paradise is My love; thy heavenly home, reunion with Me. Enter therein and tarry not. This is that which hath been destined for thee in Our kingdom above and Our exalted dominion.

here

For those who've scanned the posts in this thread there have been quotes from the Kitab-i-Iqan and the Hidden Words, here's another Book:

".... The stages that mark the wayfarer's journey from the abode of dust to the heavenly homeland are said to be seven. Some have called these Seven Valleys, and others, Seven Cities. And they say that until the wayfarer taketh leave of self, and traverseth these stages, he shall never reach to the ocean of nearness and union, nor drink of the peerless wine. The first is The Valley of Search. The steed of this Valley is patience; without patience the wayfarer on this journey will reach nowhere and attain no goal. Nor should he ever be downhearted; if he strive for a hundred thousand years and yet fail to behold the beauty of the Friend, he should not falter. For those who seek the Ka'bih [The holy Sanctuary at Mecca. Here the word means "goal."] of "for Us" rejoice in the tidings:"In Our ways will We guide them." [Qur'án 29:69: "And whoso maketh efforts for Us, in Our ways will We guide them."] In their search, they have stoutly girded up the loins of service, and seek at every moment to journey from the plane of heedlessness into the realm of being. No bond shall hold them back, and no counsel shall deter them...."

http://bahai-library.com/writings/bahaullah/sv/700.html

The topic of search is also spoken of in the Kitab-i-Iqan..."But, O my brother, when a true seeker determineth to take the step of search in the path leading to the knowledge of the Ancient of Days, he must, before all else, cleanse and purify his heart, which is the seat of the revelation of the inner mysteries of God, from the obscuring dust of all acquired knowledge, and the allusions of the embodiments of satanic fancy. He must purge his breast, which is the sanctuary of the abiding love of the Beloved, of every defilement, and sanctify his soul from all that pertaineth to water and clay, from all shadowy and ephemeral attachments. He must so cleanse his heart that no remnant of either love or hate may linger therein, lest that love blindly incline him to error, or that hate repel him away from the truth."

http://www.ishwar.com/bahai/holy_kitab_i_iqan/texts08.html

And in the Hidden Words as well ... "O YE THAT PRIDE YOURSELVES ON MORTAL RICHES!
Know ye in truth that wealth is a mighty barrier between the seeker and his desire, the lover and his beloved. The rich, but for a few, shall in no wise attain the court of His presence nor enter the city of content and resignation. Well is it then with him, who, being rich, is not hindered by his riches from the eternal kingdom, nor deprived by them of imperishable dominion. By the Most Great Name! The splendour of such a wealthy man shall illuminate the dwellers of heaven, even as the sun enlightens the people of the earth!"

http://bahai-library.com/writings/bahaullah/hw/hidden.words.html

Continuing with The Seven Valleys

following the period of Search, the seeker Finds...

"... he shall straightway step into The Valley of Love and be dissolved in the fire of love. In this city the heaven of ecstasy is upraised and the world-illuming sun of yearning shineth, and the fire of love is ablaze; and when the fire of love is ablaze, it burneth to ashes the harvest of reason.
The steed of this Valley is pain; and if there be no pain this journey will never end. In this station the lover hath no thought save the Beloved, and seeketh no refuge save the Friend. At every moment he offereth a hundred lives in the path of the Loved One, at every step he throweth a thousand heads at the feet of the Beloved.
He hath bound a myriad victims in his fetters, wounded a myriad wise men with his arrow. Know that every redness in the world is from his anger, and every paleness in men's cheeks is from his poison. He yieldeth no remedy but death, he walketh not save in the valley of the shadow; yet sweeter than honey is his venom on the lover's lips, and fairer his destruction in the seeker's eyes than a hundred thousand lives...."

The seeker searching is all about questions and answers are really not quite the point - but worse, when the answer is found, the question is an obstical to the full appreciation of the truth. The problem is that seeing the truth isn't the same as being the truth. Saying thus and so is true doesn't preclude other truths and insisting on one side of truth, honestly and sincerely, will tend to raise the heat - that somehow it is one's failings which prevent the truth from coming out.... One undoes more and more bad habits seeking to be a purer vessel. But the point is really more to appreciate there are other angles on the truth... which gets us to the next Valley...

Back