Earliest sentiments(?) and Jaspers - long

Susma Rio Sep said:
Dear G. Riggs:

It's Sunday in my part of the world. And I want to tell you sincerely that I haven't read so good a sermon for so long.
Thank you for saying that. I have to wonder, though, about my own sincerity if, after saying some, perhaps, rather idealistic things(?) of my own, I then keep an apparent enthusiast like you waiting for nearly twenty days(!) before replying to the following (my regrets for the wait)............:

Susma Rio Sep said:
Tell me, in your informed and well-versed knowledge of Buddhism, what do you think of Buddhist metaphysics, please, in your own personal appreciation.
Alas, you overestimate my erudition -- and underestimate my capacity at conning readers here;) ! Don't forget this is strictly a hobby for me, not a professional discipline.

I suppose -- and posters here like Vajradhara are undoubtedly far more qualified than I am to address this -- that there are two chief realms entailed in Buddhist metaphysics: the journey for each individual soul, which is ultimately a part of one large soul; and the pantheon of supra-human beings (or deities), a pantheon that is largely, though not entirely, inherited from Hinduism.

How much of this are we to take literally, and how much symbolically? Believe it or not, many a reference book that I have read makes the glib (IMO) statement that Buddhism is essentially atheistic! For me, though, frankly, anyone who has properly grasped what atheism is (and too many uncomprehending, perhaps lazy, perhaps cowardly[?] encyclopedias/reference tools out there prevaricate and obscure what atheism chiefly is, IMO) could never apply atheism to Buddha.

In fact, what emerges from Buddha's articulation of humanity and its -- and Deity's -- place in the cosmos is a construct more akin to Epicurus than to Critias.

Critias is the earliest writer in Western culture (a Greek in the time of Socrates) to espouse overtly the notion that Deity itself is a fiction cobbled together by homo sapiens, while Epicurus (and Lucretius, whose The Nature of Things is the locus classicus for the full articulation of the Epicurus philosophy) judges Deity (or deities) to be a reality, but one that has little significant impact on human doings. Everyone whom I know personally who claims to be an atheist would candidly associate themselves more with the Critias stance than with the Epicurus one. Yet it is the Epicurus one that more closely mirrors (though it is not identical to) Buddha's. That is not atheism.

There are, at the same time, profound implications in Buddha's judging Deity as not universally influential on the human "comedy". There is, actually, a fairly amusing Digha-Nikaya dialogue (the Kevaddha Sutta: Sutta 11, http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/sutta/digha/dn11.html) in which a monk manages to travel through the various realms where the various "deities" in the Hindu pantheon abide. His question is blunt but knotty at the same time: "Where do these four great elements -- the earth property, the liquid property, the fire property, and the wind property -- cease without remainder?"

He eventually makes his way all the way up to Brahma himself and poses the same question. Brahma at first evades the question: "I, monk, am Brahma, the Great Brahma, the Conqueror, the Unconquered, the All-Seeing, All-Powerful, the Sovereign Lord, the Maker, Creator, Chief, Appointer and Ruler, Father of All That Have Been and Shall Be.'

The monk repeats the question: "Friend, I didn't ask you if you were Brahma, the Great Brahma, the Conqueror, the Unconquered, the All-Seeing, All-Powerful, the Sovereign Lord, the Maker, Creator, Chief, Appointer and Ruler, Father of All That Have Been and Shall Be. I asked you where these four great elements -- the earth property, the liquid property, the fire property, and the wind property -- cease without remainder."

And Brahma yet again repeats the same formulation in response!

Finally, when pressed, Brahma sheepishly takes the monk aside: "These gods of the retinue of Brahma believe, 'There is nothing that the Great Brahma does not know. There is nothing that the Great Brahma does not see. There is nothing of which the Great Brahma is unaware. There is nothing that the Great Brahma has not realized.' That is why I did not say in their presence that I, too, don't know where the four great elements... cease without remainder. So you have acted wrongly, acted incorrectly, in bypassing the Blessed One [i.e., Buddha] in search of an answer to this question elsewhere. Go right back to the Blessed One and, on arrival, ask him this question. However he answers it, you should take it to heart."

In other words, Buddha, or _a_ Buddha -- the word is also a generic term, meaning, essentially, someone finally freed from the painful cycle of continuous reincarnation, among other things -- can attain knowledge denied to the gods.

The soul's journey, as Buddha conceives it, is largely a lonely one, achieving enlightenment through continued reincarnations, sometimes entailing the attainment of a wisdom the gods themselves might envy.

At the end of this process -- if one is lucky -- there is "Nibbana" (as rendered in the Pali, although the later Sanskrit "Nirvana" is the more familiar and perhaps less authentic[?] term). There are almost as many suppositions concerning the essence of Nibbana as there are writers grappling with it! Some take it as death, pure and simple, and a death that is finally free of further reincarnations, thus suggesting that non-existence is the ultimate goal after all, since there is such awful suffering in this world that a reprieve from continued existence is really a favor anyway.

Un-consciousness, un-existence, annihilation, and so on, is thus the ultimate absolute blessing. (I don't recall whether there are any doctrinal strictures concerning suicide, but I _believe_[?] that suicide simply brings on yet another -- suffering -- incarnation, making it useless toward attaining ultimate Nibbana.........?)

Another understanding of Nibbana supposes that it entails, instead, the merging of the wandering and long reincarnated and reincarnated and reincarnated soul with the single large soul of which every soul is a part. Thus, Nibbana entails the attainment of a "large" psychic existence beyond the here and now in which inner contentment, oneness with the vastness of all sentient beings, and a capacity to exercise one's love of all consciousness in all that is conscious and sentient in the cosmos without the added burdens of suffering and loss is now possible. This is why the capacity to begin exercising and developing such a universal love for and consciousness toward all that is sentient and conscious in the here and now, to begin with, is so critical to attaining such an eventual existence in Nibbana. The mindset of Nibbana right here is what is needed first toward the attainment of Nibbana for real at the end of our long journey.

This is a drastically simplified description of the process, but it will hopefully stimulate others here, like Vajradhara, to amplify and correct what I've only sketched out here.

The Hindu pantheon is huge. But, while the Hindu pantheon is largely adopted in Buddha, what is missing from the Buddhist pantheon (and this is hardly inconsequential) is the concept of either an absolute Creator or an absolute Knower among the various godlike beings. In fact, there is no deity in Buddha who either knows all that is or is responsible for it.

In Buddhism, we see a development of an already elaborate Hindu pantheon, with extra elements being gradually added on above and beyond what we see in the earliest Pali tradition. Terms such as the following hardly cover everything, but they give an inkling of the sheer complexity involved.

There is Brahma, who is supreme, although there can sometimes be more than one Brahma; the "Deva", an associate deitic being that is roughly comparable to the gods of the Greek pantheon; "Gandhabbas", celestial musicians who act as attendants on the Devas; "Garudas", giant birds usually at war with the "Nagas", the most complex and hard-to-define non-human beings, wise and powerful, sometimes supernatural snakes, sometimes supernatural elephants; Yakkhas, first conceived as ambivalent creatures, who might sometimes be believers in the enlightenment of a Buddha and sometimes not, but later conceived as considerably more evil than good.

Personally, I feel that all the concepts here regarding both the pantheon and the soul's journey may well be fanciful to a degree, but they are socially valuable, for the most part. And that latter respect is where any true worth of a set of concepts/beliefs resides, after all. To emphasise oneness as the overarching reality of all consciousness necessarily leads to a perception of oneself in the "other", a necessary prerequisite to the Golden Rule. How could this be bad?

True, the overtly hierarchical nature of the Hindu pantheon could also be taken as a reflection of an intensely hierarchical society. Isn't that the very opposite of oneness? Yes, it is, and I can't pretend that I don't occasionally find it troubling. (This perhaps is one of the reasons why I _sometimes_ find monotheism more emotionally satisfying..........)

Yet in looking at any set of beliefs, I look first at what is new in it rather than at what is inherited. Intense stratification was inherited through the social context of ancient Indian society above all, while the highly individual spin on oneness introduced by Buddha (although there is already a framework of sorts for that in Hinduism) trumps the feudal constructs that Buddha was building upon, IMO.

I guess once again I've implied a doctrinal relativism galloping away on my part in my acceptance of the moral thrust of the main Buddhist tenets while still conceding a higher comfort level with a Single or mono- construct for Deity:confused: .......

Oh well.
Cheers,

G. Riggs

Man in the street

That's a very good review of Buddhism, for my part, that is, thanks a lot.

I have to read it again and maybe even a third time.

What I like about your posts, Opera, are their personally digested and personally served ideas in their personally designed table and tableware.

Right now, I can tell you that Vaj, who is as Buddhist in his own chosen school of Buddhism as Caesar can't see any so much as shadow of blemish in his wife, tells me once that there is no soul in Buddhism and no God and gods in Buddhism. Then another thing, is that my impression seems to indicate that Buddhism is beyond if not contrary to logic and epistemology.

You can get lost if not exasperated and frustrated when you try to approach their writings from a logical standpoint on the basis of common sense understanding of words.

Maybe Vaj might step in here, or our good friend, Bgru-mod, but I have this opinion which is begging to be proven nonsense, namely, when you try to pinpoint exactly what Buddhists mean with their words, you will likely end up with such and similar answers: "The thought that is understood is not thought". So you end up with a lot of 'nots'.

I will read your post and try to see how you make out Buddhist metaphysics, again.

Susma Rio Sep

Namaste all,

i've been hesitant to respond to this for a variety of reasons, not least of which, the amount of time it will take to properly address the various points brought forward.

i apologize in advance for the rather slipshod method of response i'm about to engage in.

Operacast, Buddhist metaphysics does not concern it self with a "soul". such a notion is not found in the Buddhist teachings. given the cultural millieu in which Buddhism arose we must keep in mind that Sanskrit words do not necessarily translate into English very well, sometimes, not at all. the concept of a "soul" is not found in Indian thought... what is found is the concept of an unchanging self, the Atman. this is, in most respects, the same as a soul in western thought.

Buddhist teachings on this matter teach Anatman, or No unchanging self, and thus, no soul. of course, Atman and Soul are not exactly the same things however, that is the closest English word and it is probably useful to use it in that manner for our discussion.

the Abidharma is the section of the Tipitaka that deals with the Buddhist metaphysics and philosophy. generally speaking, this section of the canon deals with investigations into the mind and the workings of consciousness and it sets out the various philosophical positions that i've listed in a previous thread: http://www.comparative-religion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=719

i completely agree with you... Buddhism is not an atheistic tradition in the least. what it does do, however, is refute the notion of a First Cause Being or a Creator Deity. many people interpet that to mean that we are atheistic.. however, properly speaking, atheistic simply means a lack of belief in gods, not one god in particular, and Buddhism does not deny that gods exist.

Pali is a pankrit of Sanskrit, a dialect, if you will. As such, it is not accurate the say that the Pali cannon is more "authentic" or "accurate" in the sense of being closer to the source. Sanskrit was and is, for the most part, a holy language that was written, rather than spoken. the people spoke the pankrits of Sanskrit... i.e. Pali. of course, there are hundreds of different dialects in India at the time and this is still true today as well. we really do not know which dialect the historical Buddha spoke and it is probably irrelvant at this point in time. well.. at least until we invent time travel :)

the essential problem with trying to describe Nirvana is simply due to the fact that Nirvana is beyond conception... actually, it's not that it's beyond conception, it is that conceptions no longer appear in the mind. Nirvana literally means "blown out" or "extinguished" like the flame of a lamp. in the Hinyana view, Nirvana is a different type of existence then you see now.. though this is quite vague and general... in the Mahayana view, by contrast, Samsara and Nirvana are one and the same. it's not sometime in the future nor somewhere other than where you are at this very moment.

the historical founder of Buddhism (Guatama Shakyamuni) is generally considered to have taught different approaches for the needs or inclinations of different people. after his Awakening to full consciousness - usually referred to as his Enlightenment - he is said to have given three sermons or 'Turnings of the Dharma Wheel' which are understood not only as stages on a path but as different approaches. the first was at the Deer Park when he taught moderation and morality (which corresponds with the Hinyana view), the second at Vulture's Peak was when he taught concerning wisdom (which corresponds with the Mahayana view), the third Turning concerned meditation and clarity (which corresponds with with Vajrayana view).

interestingly enough... the Hindu societal caste system comes directly from how they view the Ultimate Being seperating into the different things. the famous Purusa-sukta (Rg Veda 10. 90) celebrates purusa as a cosmic demiurge, the material and efficient cause of the universe, whose sacrifice and division gave rise to the Veda and all of creation. the caste system is derived based on which parts of this being were used to make which caste.

Susma, i am not sure what you are saying when you say:

Susma rio sep said:
Right now, I can tell you that Vaj, who is as Buddhist in his own chosen school of Buddhism as Caesar can't see any so much as shadow of blemish in his wife, tells me once that there is no soul in Buddhism and no God and gods in Buddhism.
what does this mean?

furthermore, this is one of the reasons why i find discussions with you on this topic to be exccedingly frustrating... i've NEVER said that there are no gods in Buddhism. in fact, and you can find this in all my posts, when asked about it, i always state that there are gods, just no Creator God. i've stated this over and over again.. yet, you claim that i've said exactly the opposite. i'm not sure if you are intentionally misrepresenting what i say or you simply do not want to hear what you don't agree with.

a lot of the Buddhist teachings are metaphor and allegory, as such, sometimes the words don't mean what their literal form would indicate, which can be confusing for people that are new to the writings, especially if they have little working knowledge of the millieu in which Buddhism arose. there are other teachings which are literal and should be taken as such. it's too easy to broadly lump everything together.. of course, we tend to be inaccurate when we do that... but... you find folks doing that sort of thing all the time.

Profuse apologies

Dear Vajradhara:

...this is one of the reasons why i find discussions with you on this topic to be exccedingly frustrating... i've NEVER said that there are no gods in Buddhism. in fact, and you can find this in all my posts, when asked about it, i always state that there are gods, just no Creator God.

Please forgive me, Vajradhara, for saying that there are no gods in Buddhism, even though you have told me several times your statements above. It must be my habit of drawing the conclusion that if the Creator God is denied existence then it follows that minor deities are denied existence also. Well, I must admit that is a non-sequitur. I will remember that now and all the time: There is no Creator God in Buddhism but there are gods.

About Caesar's wife, I mean you are attached to your Buddhism. Just leave out everything else as so much more literary device that serves to muddle up the issue.

I want to assure you of my most sincerest regards,

Susma Rio Sep

Re: Profuse praise

Susma Rio Sep said:
Dear G. Riggs:

It's Sunday in my part of the world. And I want to tell you sincerely that I haven't read so good a sermon for so long.
Well, I'm sorry, Susma Rio Sep: I just let you down.......

OperaCast

Back