Why do Sikh men not cut their hair?

Opal

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I wanted to ask something so that I can clarify if it is correct or not:

Do Sikh men not cut their hair because hair is considered a gift from God? This is what I think is the reason, but I wanted to ask so that I am 100% sure

Many thanks

"Various reasons and symbolisms have been put forward for the Sikh practice of keeping hair uncut.
  • Throughout history hair (kesh) has been regarded as a symbol both of holiness and strength.
  • One's hair is part of God's creation. Keeping hair uncut indicates that one is willing to accept God's gift as God intended it.
  • Uncut hair symbolizes adoption of a simple life, and denial of pride in one's appearance.
  • Not cutting one's hair is a symbol of one's wish to move beyond concerns of the body and attain spiritual maturity.
  • A Sikh should only bow his head to the Guru, and not to a barber.
  • It is a highly visible symbol of membership of the group.
  • It follows the appearance of Guru Gobind Singh, founder of the Khalsa.
Sikh women are just as forbidden to cut any body hair or even trim their eyebrows, as Sikh men are forbidden to trim their beards.
Before you ask: A Sikh is not allowed to cut hair from any part of the body."

s.

Thanks so much for the quick reply. If i have any more questions I will post :)

I was going over this in the shower yesterday.........

The reasons for not being able to cut hair..... Then they shouldn't be able to cut toe/finger nails, Nose hair, pubic hair :S Removal of teeth (dentist) Shouldn't even spit.... they shouldn't even be allowed to shower.... As they would be removing skin cells and bacterias from themselves. There was many more, but yeah a few thoughts I had in the shower yesterday morning.... There is much they shouldn't do if they wish to make the cutting of beards and head hair a valid point.... Or else... It's pointless... :/

lol I always have clean thoughts! Always.

But the general thought ended with, Let yourself go..... It's divine! After my wedding it sounds tempting... Although I am growing a jesus beard I doubt I will sacrafice it.. It's going swell.

As Iam a barber/hairdresser, this is heresy to me.

One's hair is part of God's creation. Keeping hair uncut indicates that one is willing to accept God's gift as God intended it.

Heres a Vidal Sassoon quote

Hair is nature's biggest compliment and the treatment of this compliment is in our hands. As in couture, the cut is the most important element ... haircutting simply means design and this feeling for design must come from within.

Dishonouring one’s hair is one of the four cardinal sins, which the Guru has told a Sikh never to commit. A Sikh doesn’t disfigure their hair from head to toe because Guru jee told us to keep sanctity of Kesh (hair). Nothing else matters. A Sikh does what their Guru told them to do.

mweI siq siq siq hir siq siq siq swDw ]
bcnu gurU jo pUrY kihE mY CIik gWTrI bwDw ]1] rhwau ]
“O mother, True, True True is the Lord, and True, True, True is the Guru.
The Word, which the Perfect Guru has spoken, I have tied to my robe. ||1||Pause||”
(Ang 1204)

A Sikh lives in harmony with God's Divine Will and blessings. God has given us the gift of the human body. The hair is special due to the fact that Naam abides within each and every pore of hair on the body. So when we Naam Jap (meditate on the Lord) the hair is a spiritual tool, which vibrates and absorbs Naam.

rom rom mih bsih murwir ]
“On each and every hair, the Lord abides.”
(Ang 344)

gurmuiK roim roim hir iDAwvY ]
“The Gurmukh meditates on the Lord with every hair of his body.”
(Ang 941)

Bhai Desa Singh, records in a Rehitnaama the words of Guru Gobind Singh jee:
qn ies ky isr kys ju dIno[ so ieh qn iSMgwrih kIno[
dwVHw mu`C isr kys bnweI[ hY ieh idRV ijh pRBU rzweI[
myt rzwie ju sIs muMfwvY[ khu qy jg kYsy hir pwvY[
”God created the whole universe and then he fashioned the human body. He gave men beard, moustaches and hair on the head. He who submits to His Will steadfastly adheres to them. They who deny His Will how will they find God in this world?”

In addition, hair and nails are totally different. Having long nails inhibits use of the hand and is dirty with filth being stuck under the nails as well as bacteria. Long hair is quite healthy as it is even a reflection of good health: (when healthy, hair shines, when sick, it loses lustre), it is also not an impediment to daily life. In fact, you'll be healthier if you have long hair: body resources go to replacing the hair that was cut: isn't it a slap on the face when you shave and then a day later, the hair returns? Nails, if left uncut, will break; hair never will.

Many Sikhs DO cut their hair.

Traditional Sikhs do not.

This makes trad/Sikhs more hairy. Overall, I should say.

Guneet, you posted in Gurmukhi, which was not rendered properly. You should have posted this:

Mai sat sat sat Har sat sat sat sādhā,
O mother, True, True True is the Lord, and True, True, True is His Holy Saint.
bachan guru jo pōrai kahio mai cẖēk grānthē bāndhā.
The Word which the Perfect Guru has spoken, I have tied to my robe. Ang 1204

rom rom mein baseh Murār.
And on each and every hair (of the body), the Lord abides. Ang 344

gurmukh rom rom Har dhiāvai.
The Gurmukh meditates on the Lord with every hair of his body. Ang 941

Back