being a jewish mama

Nick the Pilot

Reaction score
Hi to all Jewish people!

I am studying psychological interpersonal relationships, and I have come across the term, "being a Jewish Mama." One meaning is, to suffer for the sake of her children, and (wrongly) expect her children to feel sorry for her.

Do Jewish people consider such a term (and definition) to be derogatory?

I have a Jewish mama but she rarely makes chicken soup, doesn't say oy vey a lot, doesn't seem to suffer more than any mother for the sake of her children and has never expected us to feel sorry for her. :/

Star,

I am glad you appreciate the humor of my initial post. I was interested in Jewish people's opinions as to whether the term is derogatory. That is why I used that intro.

Apparantly, Jewish people do consider it to be derogatory. That is what I wanted to know.

Live long and prosper!

it's a stereotype with more than a hint of truth. that being said, sometimes stereotypes can offend. it's not the worst one i've ever heard - and, of course indian, greek, italian and everyone else's mothers are pretty similar, too.

b'shalom

bananabrain

How many Jewish mothers does it take to change a lightbulb?

None. I will just sit here in the dark, by myself!

laughing.gif

I'm not a Jew, but I've been in enough Jewish homes in the US to say that the stereotype is grounded in fact. Now yes it is a generalization and can be applied to other mothers (I think they are amazing kin to Catholic mothers when it comes to using guilt as a fulcrum to twist any arm), but a I've never seen a movie, play or skit that is as 'over the top' as some of the Jewish mothers I know.

Back