De-lurking!

razzmatazz

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I've been visiting this forum for quite some time, but i've only just taken the courage to introduce myself- I'm awfully shy :) I live in South east London (oh the joys!...) & I am 'originally' a catholic, although I didnt have a religious upbringing and never practiced. The truth is that I've always felt quite alienated by Christian doctrines, it just doesn't 'fit in' with me.

I have been exploring Judaism (at a very novice level, ha!) and the more I read, the more I feel this is like a spiritual 'coming home'. Reading and surfing the net is great, but I would really like to be part of a study class, and I'm considering conversion. I've thought of approaching the West London Synagogue, I was wondering if anybody here had had any experiences or worships there? I guess that quite predictably I am rather nervous about the whole thing- will they regard me with suspicion and grill me with awkward questions? Although I can fully understand why this might be the case, it doesn't make it less daunting... This has been fuelled by some of my (atheist)friends making some sceptical & negative comments to the effect that even if I was to convert, I would never be fully accepted.
Of course I am not allowing these views to deter me as i know that a lot of converts also have a positive experience (anybody out there?) It's just, ahem, a bit scary (please don't tell me to get a grip or anything, I'm doing my best for that first step!)

The fact is that I consider embracing Judaism not just about adopting the beliefs and practices, but also (and obviously) very much about being part of the community... I have no jewish friends or converts to share their thoughts with me, so please do!

Thank you all in advance. This forum has been such a fantastic source of learning- a special thanks to the erudites extraordinaire Bananabrain & Dauer, whose posts are always engrossing, thought provoking, and often witty too :)

By the way BB, I emailed you quite some time ago (when I was still hiding in my cyber closet, ha!) asking for a recommendation on which Torah to get. I've been reading Etz Hayim but I think you suggested another one, could you remind me?

A bientot!

Razz

Hey Razz.

Welcome to the forums.

I know BB's been a little busier lately and may not be as quick to respond as he usually is, but I can tell you he's especially partial to Aryeh Kaplan's The Living Torah. I've been meaning to pick up a copy of that one myself. My amazon wishlist is currently 6 pages deep.

-- Dauer

Hey Razz.

Welcome to the forums.

I know BB's been a little busier lately and may not be as quick to respond as he usually is, but I can tell you he's especially partial to Aryeh Kaplan's The Living Torah. I've been meaning to pick up a copy of that one myself. My amazon wishlist is currently 6 pages deep.

-- Dauer

That's what torrents are for.

Namaste Razz,

Welcome aboard, and I don't know how Judaism couldn't feel like coming home to anyone who has any Abrahamic leanings...like going back to roots.

Alex,

I'm not a pirate. Yarrr.

Needless to say, even if I was, most of my reading is obscure enough that it'd be hard to find. If you'd like to see what I mean drop me a PM and I'll give you the link. I don't want to link publicly because my real name is attached to it.

-- Dauer

Namaste Razz,

Welcome aboard, and I don't know how Judaism couldn't feel like coming home to anyone who has any Abrahamic leanings...like going back to roots.

I can see what you mean... Aye jim lad... It has much in common, but then it has much which is not in common... It's like 'Christianity diet' without all those sugars and acids...

hi razzmatazz,

Razzmatazz said:
Reading and surfing the net is great, but I would really like to be part of a study class, and I'm considering conversion.
you realise i am obliged to ask - are you completely bonkers? this is always considered. if you are not, then read on...

I've thought of approaching the West London Synagogue, I was wondering if anybody here had had any experiences or worships there?
i know west london pretty well, i think one of my mates is a rabbi there too.

I guess that quite predictably I am rather nervous about the whole thing - will they regard me with suspicion and grill me with awkward questions?
well, i think you'll find that the reform movement are generally pretty nice to converts. there will be probing and perhaps even intrusive questions, but i dare say you might understand this. other streams might well be less welcoming, but it does of course depend on how they are approached and under what circumstances.

Although I can fully understand why this might be the case, it doesn't make it less daunting... This has been fuelled by some of my (atheist)friends making some sceptical & negative comments to the effect that even if I was to convert, I would never be fully accepted.
and they have a point. if you were to convert through the reform movement, there could quite possibly be repercussions at some point and it is only fair that you understand these up front. these repercussions will be far more serious if you are female and there are children involved.

Of course I am not allowing these views to deter me as i know that a lot of converts also have a positive experience (anybody out there?) It's just, ahem, a bit scary (please don't tell me to get a grip or anything, I'm doing my best for that first step!)
and you deserve respect for this. you do need to understand the implications of conversions through the different streams of judaism; i can certainly give you some important questions to ask which will help you understand your eventual choice. i can also suggest people that you can talk to in person but not before i know a bit more about your individual circumstances. you also need to understand a bit about where i am coming from - i have experience in and contact with almost every strand of judaism you will come across in london, but with that said my personal opinions and beliefs will also influence my advice, albeit i will tell you when i am giving you opinion. basically, we probably need to take this off-line, so PM me and i can get the information i will need to help.

The fact is that I consider embracing Judaism not just about adopting the beliefs and practices, but also (and obviously) very much about being part of the community... I have no jewish friends or converts to share their thoughts with me, so please do!
that's a good start - judaism cannot be embraced without a community; living in south-east london is not terrible, but it does restrict your choice a little and mobility may help.

By the way BB, I emailed you quite some time ago (when I was still hiding in my cyber closet, ha!) asking for a recommendation on which Torah to get. I've been reading Etz Hayim but I think you suggested another one, could you remind me?
what dauer, said, "the living Torah" is a personal favourite, though i recommend never sticking to just one. even artscroll (ptooie!) has its place on the educational spectrum, just in between wahhabi and microsoft.

b'shalom

bananabrain

Welcome to CR!

I'm shy, too, a shy Baha'i. It rhymes :)

Judaism is interesting, is it not? It's a religion that is acknowledged as divinely revealed by three other world religions: Christianity, Islam, and the Baha'i Faith. We all (the four of these religions) believe Abraham and Moses and the other Jewish prophets like Isaiah and Micah.

Back