Moses' sin

Maybe if you stop looking only at the narrow FINAL event in the series, the answer will be apparent. There are many stories leading up to this.

Moses used to defend the Israelites to God when they grumbled. Then he "slowly" gets short tempered with them. This is not the leadership quality that God wants when leading the Israelites into the Promised Land.
In a sense, Moses became too good for the people he was supposed to lead; so he was replaced by Joshua.

Interesting theory. So it was a matter of an inflated ego?

Same thing happened when Elijah was replaced by Elisha: because Elijah became short-tempered with Israel(the Northern 10 tribes), Elisha- a man of the people, of the land- replaced him.

Elisha? You think he was mild-mannered? Tell that to the children who taunted him about his baldness whereby he sicced a bear to tear the little mocker brats apart. Geez, how sensitive.

Interesting theory. So it was a matter of an inflated ego?

Elisha? You think he was mild-mannered? Tell that to the children who taunted him about his baldness whereby he sicced a bear to tear the little mocker brats apart. Geez, how sensitive.

Go here for this explanation that influenced me on this matter: Tanach Study Center - Chukat

I think most people think of the Moses of Exodus(the book in the Bible) and not the Moses in the book of Numbers. There is a difference.

Go here: Tanach Study Center - Chukat then go to part 2 after.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't give over a website, for some reason. That's where I got this information- except the part about Elijah and Elisha. The name of the website is tanach study center(menachem leibtag): go to parshat "Chukat"(a portion from Bamidbar/Numbers) and click on Did Moshe Really Sin(part 1 and 2)

Back