Others' suffering = our own?

Everyone is compassionate, even if they don't continually manifest it like a Buddha would. To me, every time you help someone with their best intentions in mind and your best intentions in your heart, you are being compassionate.

Namaste Netti-Netti,

thank you for the post.

My sense is that an important goal in Buddhism is to withdraw desire in order to minimize the impact of uncontrollable situations in terms of stress and disappointment. The idea is to get rid of dukhka by getting rid of desire. It is unclear whether we ever achieve this in any final 100% way.

many beings have come to this same conclusion though i would suggest that such a conclusion has rather missed the salient features of the Dharma as it is traditionally expounded.

the ending of dukkha is not brought about through the ending of desire, the ending of dukkha is brought about by the ending of ignorance.

Practically speaking, it is unclear whether one needs to be 100% enlightened in order to be compassionate.

they are, within the traditional canon, different things. Bodhichitta, the compassionate, caring mind which extends outwards towards all beings is different than Awakening and Liberation which come about through the development of, to phrase it somewhat ackwardly, compassion and wisdom. though it must be said that the Buddha also taught that it was possible for a being to Awaken and attain Liberation without awakening their Bodhichitta and the quality of the Awakening and Liberation is of the same taste as that of all other sentient beings and Buddhas.

there is a great deal of misconception regarding the Buddha Dharma and the topic of desire which can lead to all sorts of conclusions which either make the Dharma out to be hardly more intellectually gratifying than a Disney book or require a convoluted metaphysic to explain. in my estimation this is due to a poor choice of translation words.

the Buddha taught that it was a certain type of desire not desire, per se, which is problematic. indeed, we are encouraged to rouse our desire to practice the Dharma and thus the use of desire in ones practice is not a worry. it is, unfortunately, true that Sanskrit has a more robust vocabulary than English and thus there are not the same equivalent terms. i actually see this to be changing in society as a whole but that's a conversation for another time.

in any event the particular sort of desire that is problematic is termed "tanha" in Sanskrit and would have the closest equivalent in English as 'craving' which carries a stronger psychological element than simple desire.

metta,

~v

Namaste Zenda,

thank you for the post and welcome back to the forum. i missed your style :)

Everyone is compassionate, even if they don't continually manifest it like a Buddha would. To me, every time you help someone with their best intentions in mind and your best intentions in your heart, you are being compassionate.

indeed this is one of the more contrasting differences between Buddha Dharma and traditions which posit that sentient beings are inherently flawed in some manner and incapable of expression of Bodhichitta.

besides...the manifestation of compassion is not what distinguishes a Buddha from other beings anyways.

metta,

~v

Namaste Zenda,

thank you for the post and welcome back to the forum. i missed your style :)

Thanks vaj. Missed you too.

indeed this is one of the more contrasting differences between Buddha Dharma and traditions which posit that sentient beings are inherently flawed in some manner and incapable of expression of Bodhichitta.

This is very encouraging, I think.

besides...the manifestation of compassion is not what distinguishes a Buddha from other beings anyways.

metta,

~v

In the absolute, there's no giver, no receiver, and nothing given, right? ;) Ouch... head hurts. I'm completely out of my depth, instead of the usual only partly...

Namaste Zenda,

thank you for the post.

Zenda said:
This is very encouraging, I think.

i completely agree :)

In the absolute, there's no giver, no receiver, and nothing given, right? ;) Ouch... head hurts. I'm completely out of my depth, instead of the usual only partly...

that's a very concise summation of the Prajnaparamita Sutra! spot on! i was speaking in the relative sense with regards to the role that Buddhas have in the initial Turning of the Wheel on a particular world system when the Dharma is not currently present but i like your answer better :)

metta,

~vajra

Greetings to Vajradhara,

I meant to ask you:

The Buddha taught detachment, cessation, and calmness. How are these practices related to ending of dukkha ?

SG writes:

Alright, Bodhisattvas postpone the complete ending of their own suffering (Nibbana) in order to help others end their suffering. :)

A lot of ex wives are frustrated Bodhisattva wannabees who refused to enter Nibbana and stop suffering until they taught their husbands how to end their suffering. :)

SG writes:

Alright, Bodhisattvas postpone the complete ending of their own suffering (Nibbana) in order to help others end their suffering. :)

A lot of ex wives are frustrated Bodhisattva wannabees who refused to enter Nibbana and stop suffering until they taught their husbands how to end their suffering. :)
ROFLMAO! :D :p

Greetings to Vajradhara,

I meant to ask you:

The Buddha taught detachment, cessation, and calmness. How are these practices related to ending of dukkha ?

The mind is more receptive to insight when calmed. In other words, emotional self control -- involving a process of freeing oneself from attachments/aversions -- is in direct interest of gaining insight. The insight, in turn, can help manage or minimize dukkha.

The mind is more receptive to insight when calmed. In other words, emotional self control -- involving a process of freeing oneself from attachments/aversions -- is in direct interest of gaining insight. The insight, in turn, can help manage or minimize dukkha.
Dang! I feel like I keep chanting 'freedom = self-control' like it's some sort of mantra. :eek:

Dang! I feel like I keep chanting 'freedom = self-control' like it's some sort of mantra.
Nothing wrong with that mantra!

The Hindu notion of Nirvana is "Emancipation from ignorance and the extinction of all attachment."
Nirvana definition |Dictionary.com
This is surprisingly close to the goals of Buddhism we find in the Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta.

Some would contend that the two aspects of the Hindu notion of Nirvanna are one and the same. I'm not sure about that. As note previously, steps taken toward the extinction of attachments frees the mind up for insight. This approach well documented in the Mahayana wisdom literature.

The point I wanted to make here is that emotional self-control is both an end in itself and means toward achieving what the Buddha referred to as "the vision, the knowledge, the understanding." That is, emotional self-control is not just achieving negative freedom (freedom from stress), but also achieving positive freedom of clarity that facilitates insight. At the same time, insight can help provide directive and added incentive for efforts toward emotional self-regulation.

In short, I see the development of wisdom and emotional self control as separate approaches that involve and depend upon processes that reinforce each other. That's how they are described in the Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta.

Thank you Toujour for this personal testimony - it has been very illuminating to me in my question!

namaste all,
from my personal understanding and the way it has been taught to me by my various teachers, when you understand emptiness fully, then one leaves the self behind. at that point all sufferring is ended. however, that doesnt mean that one is no longer compassionate or able to feel empathy. but that does mean that it doesnt cause sufferring because now the person sees the truth and knows that the persons sufferring is an illusion, so he/she knows that the person isnt truely sufferring, just experiencing a delusion. then the awakened individual can then explain to the "sufferring" person the truth of empitness and then relieve said person from their delusions.

that is my understanding of it through my practice. i have experienced a small example of this in my own life. i have always been very empathetic, even to the point of taking on the sufferring of others physicallymentally/and emotionally. it made me deal with much sufferring. it wasnt until my meditation teacher taught me about emptiness and working with empathy that i stopped sufferring that way. it didnt decrease my empathy towards other, simply my own experience of sufferring. i hope this helps.

be well in peace

Vajradhara, thank you as well for your wonderful answer. I found it very useful. I think this has been my issue - that I had come to Buddhism in search of ways to expend my compassion, but need more wisdom. Excellent summary.

-Daniel

Namaste Daniel,

thank you for the post.

there are several answers that could be offered to such a query and you've gotten some good ones already so mine will be a bit different.

provided that you have not currently put an end to dukkha (suffering is one aspect of it) there doesn't seem to be any reason to suppose that you would not experience dukkha.

i have a friend that decided that he couldn't be a Buddhist due to this very conflict. to frame it in Buddhist terms, he developed his compassion but did not develop his wisdom and thus could not handle the expansive compassion which awoke within him.

the Buddha recommended the development of Wisdom prior to the development of Compassion for this very reason, in my estimation. the development of these qualities is dependent upon the individual being, naturally, and there are many cases where the recommended order is reversed or where both Compassion and Wisdom are taught and practiced interdependently.

so the succinct answer to the question is thus: the development of Wisdom.

metta,

~v

Namaste Daniel,

thank you for the kind words.

i have the impression that many being approach the Buddhadharma as a means to increase their compassion and concern for other sentient beings. as beings ripen aspects of their character in different ways and manners this can be something like the farmer that planted a field of melons yet didn't plan on harvesting but a few. very quickly the vines from the other plants are everywhere!

there is no set way, of course, though there are some general principles which are said to be the foundation for ones practice to sustain itself, namely the development of Wisdom, in particular as it applies to ones arising compassion for other beings.

we talk of the things as if they arise independently of each other and it may seem that way in many cases however the Buddhist idea is that Wisdom and Compassion arise in mutual dependence upon each other even though we may experience some aspect more strongly than others. mainly this is due to our karmic propensity and our proximate karma when the physical form arose.

metta,

~v

..... now the person sees the truth and knows that the persons sufferring is an illusion, so he/she knows that the person isnt truely sufferring, just experiencing a delusion.
I wonder if considering suffering unreal could be an attempt to avoid suffering.... that is, an attempt to make the world more manageable/tolerable by means of a magical thinking/nihilistic dogma.

I don't think the Buddha considered suffering unreal. He said life is suffering, starting with the trauma of being born. Certainly the trauma of giving birth is real.

Why would unreal suffering be at the center of a core teaching, the First Noble truth? Suffering is here and now. It will pass, but it will likely take some other form. Then it will exist in that new form. But it will be real then, too, as will be the causes that give rise to that suffering.

The Buddhist view on Emptiness tells us that experiences are relative or dependent and fleeting. It also tells us that the self does not have an essential nature. What this philosophy does not say is that the quality of human experience is meaningless. If it were, then there would be no basis for wholesome actions serving to enhance experience. Also, if the quality of human experience were meaningless, then the notion of Right Intention that is central to Buddhist ethics would have no relevance or application.

We value things that much more more knowing they are temporary. Knowing that something good and beautiful will cease in its present form can be part of our learning, and appreciation. Likewise, knowing that something is a cause of suffering that will cease in its present form can be part of our learning, and appreciation.

..... now the person sees the truth and knows that the persons sufferring is an illusion, so he/she knows that the person isnt truely sufferring, just experiencing a delusion.
I wonder if considering suffering unreal could be an attempt to avoid suffering.... that is, an attempt to make the world more manageable/tolerable by means of a magical thinking/nihilistic dogma.
I can picture my Sen-sei twisting my ear and saying, "is this pain a delusion?" if I would suggest that suffering is a delusion. {His way of prompting mindfulness.}

I don't think the Buddha considered suffering unreal. He said life is suffering, starting with the trauma of being born. Certainly the trauma of giving birth is real.

Why would unreal suffering be at the center of a core teaching, the First Noble truth? Suffering is here and now. It will pass, but it will likely take some other form. Then it will exist in that new form. But it will be real then, too, as will be the causes that give rise to that suffering.

The Buddhist view on Emptiness tells us that experiences are relative or dependent and fleeting. It also tells us that the self does not have an essential nature. What this philosophy does not say is that the quality of human experience is meaningless. If it were, then there would be no basis for wholesome actions serving to enhance experience. Also, if the quality of human experience were meaningless, then the notion of Right Intention that is central to Buddhist ethics would have no relevance or application.

We value things that much more more knowing they are temporary. Knowing that something good and beautiful will cease in its present form can be part of our learning, and appreciation. Likewise, knowing that something is a cause of suffering that will cease in its present form can be part of our learning, and appreciation.
While everything around us changes, our appreciation for the good and our compassion for those suffering can remain. :)

The thing about suffering being an illusion is that saying it's illusion doesn't mean it doesn't have the power to hurt, it means that it doesn't inherently exist. "Empty yet appearing" is the phrase I've heard most. So, the ear twisting is empty, so you can't say it actually exists, but it appears so it still hurts. (Of course, I guess, if one takes the view of "this ear pain is not what it appears," it may change a bit from "ouch" to something else... )

Dukkha may involve the despair of knowing that all is fleeting, fragile, and subject to decay. In the Buddha's teachings we read specifically about the inevitability of age, illness, death and loss. Since we are always at some stage of one or more of these processes, one could reasonably say that there is nothing in life that isn't dukkha/stress/suffering. Hence it is accurate to say that life is dukkha/stress/suffering.

Someone on the forum applied the term angst and anxiety to the concept of dukkha. I can see why someone might think that but I disagree. Angst is a diffuse and unfocused concern about an unknown threat. Dukkha is more like despair based on the knowledge that disappointment is immanent and can be reliably expected to happen. It is a rational and realistic expectation that corresponds to the reality of the human condition.

Life is dukkha. Buddhism can show us how to accept the reality of suffering and work with it in a way that does not complicate things further.

Back