Seeking name of Buddhist figure

QueryGuy

A guy who's Baha'i
Reaction score
My knowledge of Buddhism is limited, so I thought this would be a good place to ask about the following:

A few years back I remember reading about a figure in Buddhism that vowed to delay his/her own enlightenment until all other people on earth had achieved it. Does anyone know the name of this figure, and where he/she may first be found in Buddhist writings (assuming these few details are correct)? Thanks!

QG

QueryGuy said:
My knowledge of Buddhism is limited, so I thought this would be a good place to ask about the following:

A few years back I remember reading about a figure in Buddhism that vowed to delay his/her own enlightenment until all other people on earth had achieved it. Does anyone know the name of this figure, and where he/she may first be found in Buddhist writings (assuming these few details are correct)? Thanks!

QG
Namaste Query Guy,

what you are describing is called the Bodhisattva Vow, the list of beings that have made this vow is quite vast.

the Bodhisattva Vow usually consists of 4 parts (though to get more technical may be beyond the scope of our discussion at this point) and is found in two varying forms, the Tibetan and Chinese. They can be summed up as:

1. However innumerable sentient beings are, I vow to influence those seekers who have planted the causes and conditions along the path in succeeding to achieve it.
2. However inexhaustible the defilements are, I vow to contribute in extinguishing them.
3. However immeasurable the dharmas are, I vow to master them.
4. However unattainable the Way is, I vow to attain it.

the Bodhisattva Vow is found in several places, perhaps, the most prominent being in a Sutra called Bodhicaryavaratara, which is translated into English as "The Way of the Bodhisattva". this text is particular to Vajrayana Buddhism, though it is often used by Mahayana Buddhists as well. the author is Shantideva.

the primary Mahayana Sutra on this topic is the Diamond Sutra which is widely considered to be one of the primary Mahayana Sutras and one of the most profound Sutras in the Buddhist canon.

The Avatamsaka Sutra (Flower Adornement Sutra) is considered to one of, if not the, most profound Sutra in the entire Buddhist canon. it is generally considered to be the epitome of Buddhist thought, sentiment and experience. this Sutra was spoken by the Buddha to an assembly of Bodhisattvas and celestial beings after his enlightenment.

another Mahayana Sutra on this topic is called the Three Superior Heaps and is an exposition of the Bodhisattva Vow. from the Vajrayana you can also find the Jewel Ornament of Liberation Sutra that expounds on this topic.

in the Pali canon, the historical Buddha is depicted as a Bodhisattva in his previous lives, especially the mendicant Sudhana who met the Buddha Dipankara and learned the Diamond Sutra from him. this information is part of the Jakata Tales.

generally speaking, Buddhist traditions recognize some Bodhisattvas that span the Buddhist tradition... Avalokiteshavara, Manjurishi, Kistigharba, Maitreya and Samantrabhadra. His Holiness the Dalai Lama is considered by many to be a Bodhisattva and an emmanation of Avalokiteshavara.

Vajradhara said:
generally speaking, Buddhist traditions recognize some Bodhisattvas that span the Buddhist tradition... Avalokiteshavara, Manjurishi, Kistigharba, Maitreya and Samantrabhadra. His Holiness the Dalai Lama is considered by many to be a Bodhisattva and an emmanation of Avalokiteshavara.

Thank you for a very informative answer. You've certainly given me much to look into! As I said, my knowledge of Buddhism is quite limited. I am familiar only with the Dhammapada and to a lesser extent The Eight-Fold Path.

QG

QueryGuy said:
Thank you for a very informative answer. You've certainly given me much to look into! As I said, my knowledge of Buddhism is quite limited. I am familiar only with the Dhammapada and to a lesser extent The Eight-Fold Path.

QG
Namaste Query Guy,

thank you for the kind words. if you've an interest in reading some of our Sutras and so forth, there are several online sites that have good translations of the discourses and so forth.

the Dhammapada is part of the Pali Canon and comprises a very small portion of it. the Noble 8 Fold Path and the 4 Noble Truths and so forth are covered in each of the extant canon traditions (Pali, Tibetan and Chinese).

Back