Inspiring/Interesting Quotes

Is this supposed to be only quotes pertaining to Christianity? If so, sorry for the intrusion.

My all time favorite quote:

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."
-Socrates

Concerning the Sermon on the Mount, it is reported that Mahatma Gandhi said to a onetime viceroy of India, Lord Irwin:

"When your country and mine shall get together on the teachings laid down by Christ in the Sermon on the Mount, we shall have solved the problems not only of our countries but those of the whole world."

Concerning the Sermon on the Mount, it is reported that Mahatma Gandhi said to a onetime viceroy of India, Lord Irwin:

"When your country and mine shall get together on the teachings laid down by Christ in the Sermon on the Mount, we shall have solved the problems not only of our countries but those of the whole world."

I'm confused. Why was I quoted there?

The King said:
At this moment the King, who had been for some time busily writing in his note-book, cackled out `Silence!' and read out from his book, `Rule Forty-two. ALL PERSONS MORE THAN A MILE HIGH TO LEAVE THE COURT.'
--Alice in Wonderland
extra words so the computer accepts my post.

Success is reached by applying the same amount of attention to the end as you did in the beginning.

I am not sure who wrote it, but I have implemented into my life.

God Bless
Ian

A quote offering hope:

“Well, the conference met today and appointed a commission to meet tomorrow and appoint a delegation which will eventually appoint a subcommittee to draw up ways and means of finding out what to start with first.” —Will Rogers]

I have also sought to clarify what is often confused, especially in the discussion of sentences and utterances, on the one hand, and in the discussion of competence and performance, on the other.

-- John Lyons Linguistic Semantics pg. 6

You break all the rules, Mee. That's why you work so well within systems.

I love these words from Ruth and her love of Naomi. :)

Ruth 1:16 But Ruth said, "Do not urge me to leave you or to return from following you. For where you go I will go, and where you lodge I will lodge. Your people shall be my people, and your God my God.
Ruth 1:17 Where you die I will die, and there will I be buried. May the LORD do so to me and more also if anything but death parts me from you."

I love these words from Ruth and her love of Naomi. :)

Ruth 1:16 But Ruth said, "Do not urge me to leave you or to return from following you. For where you go I will go, and where you lodge I will lodge. Your people shall be my people, and your God my God.
Ruth 1:17 Where you die I will die, and there will I be buried. May the LORD do so to me and more also if anything but death parts me from you."

Beautiful quote Christine, and so good to see you here! :)

luna

[FONT=book antiqua, times new roman, times]"The Goddess ruled Nature, God the Father ruled cities and civilization". [/FONT] [FONT=book antiqua, times new roman, times] The Holy One rules all." [/FONT]

"In this mysterious universe, there is one thing of which Man can feel certain. Man himself is certainly not the greatest spiritual presence in the Universe. . . . There is a presence in the Universe that is spiritually greater than Man himself. . . . Man’s goal is to seek communion with the presence behind the phenomena, and to seek it with the aim of bringing his self into harmony with this absolute spiritual reality."

An Historian’s Approach to Religion, by Arnold Toynbee.

Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
Martin Luther King Jr. (1929 - 1968), Letter from Birmingham Jail, April 16, 1963

Back