On scriptural interpretation

Thomas

So it goes ...
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Mark 31-32

"It is as a grain of mustard seed: which when it is sown in the earth, is less than all the seeds that are in the earth: And when it is sown, it groweth up, and becometh greater than all herbs, and shooteth out great branches, so that the birds of the air may dwell under the shadow thereof."

There must have been laughter when they heard this. 'Oh, really?' you can hear them say, 'Has this guy actually seen a mustard plant?'

This is our own observation of the mustard seed plant, and the observation of those who have seen it in other parts of the world. Such ignorance of a fact of nature is not to be expected from a prophet, let alone God. Rather, anyone who used this parable is ignorant and had little experience with crops and agriculture (kana qalil al-basarah bi falahah). Far be it from Christ to give such a parable!’ (Kitab Al Fasl, pt.2 p.55)

+++

Maybe Jesus aims at a different picture of what His Church should be, a self-consciously different model, from what the world might expect.

To be saved, one might assume, is to walk as a giant among men. He who is saved soars like an eagle on the wings of faith, carried high above the world, riding unperturbed on the thermals of human affairs ... such grace ... such majesty ... such a crock!

Jesus came to save sinners; the Church he founded is a refuge for sinners. One of the greatest antidotes to many of our sins is a sense of humour, the readiness not to take ourselves too seriously.

The image of a little sparrow, clinging to a little bush, rocking crazily in the breeze ... might be a more realistic if less romantic image ...

Of course, sin must be taken seriously, it's nothing to laugh about. But for most of us, most of the time, our sins, being venial, would 'get us down' only if we stood on our own dignity. An eagle perched on a cliff-top crag might fret if a single feather were out of place. A sparrow trying to find a foothold in a windswept field of mustard does not have that luxury.

When we consider our sins, let us acknowledge our littleness, the foolishness of our foibles, and be ready to laugh at the muddle we get into. That may help us view another's foibles with affectionate humour, and avoid being affronted when they behave like the cheeky sparrows for whom the Church is home.

(from a homily on the Feast of Corpus Christi by Fr Richard Conrad OP)

That is a great image Thomas! Man, can I ever relate to the sparrow gripping the mustard weed, feathers all askew, as the winds gale around me. Not to mention that I do myself no favors when I start to fret about my appearance under the circumstances.

However, I'm compelled to point out that the humble mustard really is a giant. It is the source of several important agricultural crops, including broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, brussel sprouts, kohlrabi, and kale. Another cousin of the mustard family, affectionately (and scientifically) known as Arabidopsis, is the subject of intense research in molecular genetics, having risen to the title of 'fruitfly of the plant world.' Many of the breakthroughs in plant molecular genetics were made possible by the study of the mustard plant.

However, I'm compelled to point out that the humble mustard really is a giant.

OK! OK! I like brocolli ... my wife grows vegetables on her allotment ... she's a vegetarian, but she's a good kid! ... I'll never make a brussel sprout joke again ... Just not the killer tomatoes, OK? :eek:

Thomas

OK! OK! I like brocolli ... my wife grows vegetables on her allotment ... she's a vegetarian, but she's a good kid! ... I'll never make a brussel sprout joke again ... Just not the killer tomatoes, OK? :eek:

Thomas

Just another example of science spoiling a perfectly nice homily.

Thomas,

You cited the parable of the mustard seed, (Mark 4:31-32) and the quote of (Kitab Al Fasl, pt.2 p.55) a known teacher of refuting the Scriptures of the N.T.
The parallel to Mark 4:31, is Matt. 13:31-32, and Luke 13:18-19, but read Mark 4:33-34;
"With many similar parables Jesus spoke the word to them, as much as they could understand. 34, He did not say anything to them without using parables. But when he was alone with his own disciples, he explained everything."

In regards to Mr. Kitab Al Fasl, readers, I offer these verses, Matt. 15:10-14. !!

On Scriptural interpretation, I offer the following timely scripture, being bracketed around Mark 10:2-9; first Mark 9:36,37, and after in Mark 10:13-15.
In Mark 10:2, "Some Pharisees came and tested him by asking, 'Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife', ver. 3, "What did Moses command you?" he replied. ver. 4, They said, 'Moses permitted a man to write a certificate of divorce and send her away.' ver. 5, "It was because your hearts were hard that Moses wrote you this law," Jesus replied. ver. 6, But in the beginning of creation God made them male and female. ver. 7, For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh. So there are no longer two, but one. ver. 9, Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate." (NIV)

In view of Scriptural interpretation, of the above in a Greek word study,

male= (gamete) & female = (gamete)
[Gamete, a reproductive cell in mankind a somatic cell which have chromosones from each parent to form a flesh cell- zygote]

to marry, join or yoke, = (Zygotos>zygon) to form one flesh= (Zygote)

[Zygote = fertillized egg cell- ovum of woman]

In the English Dictionary, the word ovum, is followed by, (ow- a cry of pain) as in birth (?)
( owe- sense 3, to have or cherish (a certain feeling) towards another: sense 4, to be indebted (to) for the existence of )
Then I offer, read Psalms 139, and John 3:5-7.

Is the Scriptural interpretation, by the Greek word study made more profound by the bracketed scripture ?

Peace,
ben Oddo

Mark 31-32

"It is as a grain of mustard seed: which when it is sown in the earth, is less than all the seeds that are in the earth: And when it is sown, it groweth up, and becometh greater than all herbs, and shooteth out great branches, so that the birds of the air may dwell under the shadow thereof."

There must have been laughter when they heard this. 'Oh, really?' you can hear them say, 'Has this guy actually seen a mustard plant?'

+++

Maybe Jesus aims at a different picture of what His Church should be, a self-consciously different model, from what the world might expect.

To be saved, one might assume, is to walk as a giant among men. He who is saved soars like an eagle on the wings of faith, carried high above the world, riding unperturbed on the thermals of human affairs ... such grace ... such majesty ... such a crock!

Jesus came to save sinners; the Church he founded is a refuge for sinners. One of the greatest antidotes to many of our sins is a sense of humour, the readiness not to take ourselves too seriously.

The image of a little sparrow, clinging to a little bush, rocking crazily in the breeze ... might be a more realistic if less romantic image ...

Of course, sin must be taken seriously, it's nothing to laugh about. But for most of us, most of the time, our sins, being venial, would 'get us down' only if we stood on our own dignity. An eagle perched on a cliff-top crag might fret if a single feather were out of place. A sparrow trying to find a foothold in a windswept field of mustard does not have that luxury.

When we consider our sins, let us acknowledge our littleness, the foolishness of our foibles, and be ready to laugh at the muddle we get into. That may help us view another's foibles with affectionate humour, and avoid being affronted when they behave like the cheeky sparrows for whom the Church is home.

(from a homily on the Feast of Corpus Christi by Fr Richard Conrad OP)

Mark 4

30Again he said, "What shall we say the kingdom of God is like, or what parable shall we use to describe it? 31It is like a mustard seed, which is the smallest seed you plant in the ground. 32Yet when planted, it grows and becomes the largest of all garden plants, with such big branches that the birds of the air can perch in its shade."
33With many similar parables Jesus spoke the word to them, as much as they could understand. 34He did not say anything to them without using a parable. But when he was alone with his own disciples, he explained everything.

How did the Kingdom of God become the Catholic church? :)

Some wrongly conclude that the Bible is inaccurate because Jesus Christ spoke of "a mustard grain" as "the tiniest of all the seeds." (Mark 4:30-32)

Likely, Jesus meant the seed of the black mustard plant
(Brassica nigra or Sinapis nigra), which is only about 0.039 to 0.063 inch
[1 to 1.6 mm] in diameter.

Though there are smaller seeds, such as fine-as-powder seeds of the orchid, Jesus was not talking to people who grew orchids. Those Galilean Jews knew that of the various types of seeds sown by local farmers, the mustard seed was the tiniest.

Jesus was talking about the Kingdom, not teaching a lesson in botany.

Jesus compared faith to a mustard seed, something with which those he was talking to were quite familiar with .

Though among "the tiniest," a mustard seed after a few months of growth would become a treelike plant. (Matthew 13:31, 32)

So,Jesus was stressing the great potential that a little faith could have when properly cultivated and nourished—the seemingly impossible would become possible.:)

Also sad about this is that the mustard seed has become so secularized it deprives people of the value from comparing the mustard seed in Mark with Kisa Gotami in the Buddhist tradition.

Back