Homosexuality

I'm going to make a case and would like help testing it. I'm trying to make sure I understand why homosexuality happens from a Biblical standpoint. I make a case, but please don't quote me outside the thread. My mind is not made up about everything I'm posting here.

Homosexuals have been misunderstood and mistreated a lot by Christians. This isn't Israel, and the 'Death penalty' doesn't apply here. Also, the nation Israel was absolutely not supposed to oppress homosexuals the way religious groups have been doing it. There is a Biblical phrase: "Something that should not be done in Israel"(2Sam 13:12) which refers to things God uses to indicate when society becomes idle and uncaring. Biblically homosexuality is a miraculous sign seen in individuals but is caused by a society's coldness. It appears in individuals, but it doesn't necessarily reflect upon an individual's character. You are welcome to disagree from a scientific or Biblical basis if it floats your boat.

I am not saying I think homosexuals are the norm, but that homosexuality is as much of a sign to us as blindness was in Jesus' day. It is an individual's plague, but caused by a nation's actions. One of Jesus teachings is that the man who is born blind has not sinned and neither has his parents, but his suffering is for the glory of God. Many people in Jesus time thought the blind man was being punished for sin, because blindness was a plague listed in Deuteronomy. I propose Jesus knew that the plague of blindness was for the nation's sins, and that is what he meant when he said it was 'To the glory of God'. A Christian should see that blind birth is a miraculous sign (plague in this case Deut 28:28) to indicate the nation has sinned, but it does not reflect upon the blind individual or his family. The nation should take responsibility for the blind man's well being.

I suggest someone who discovers homosexual feelings is in a similar way. We wouldn't heap vehemence upon the blind man and get upset because he's trying to make a living! Why would we be angry with gays for doing the same? Christians especially should consider themselves responsible for the presence of homosexuality, instead of trying to fix it by outlawing it. (It is absolutely backwards to accuse homosexuals of bringing down wrath upon the world, although some of us have claimed it on national TV.)

Having said this, you may wonder what I think of homosexual sex? Do I claim it is sinful or not, and how do I think God could make someone homosexual in response to a nation's failures? My answer is that life is full of good works God has given us to do, but the nature of our physical desires are all base. If we are not busy doing good works, then we will sin no matter who we are. We should not think of our freedom in Christ as an excuse to sin, however we are only drawn to repentence by God's goodness and mercy! That means we learn obedience over time as well as learning that obedience is best. Life in Christ is about doing justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly. Eventually that pushes everything else out.

Romans 6:15 What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.

“The Law of Moses did not permit a homosexual to exist within the congregation of God: ‘If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall be put to death, their blood is upon them.’—Leviticus 20:13, Revised Standard Version

Back