Transcendent vs Secular Interfaith

Thank you for the clarification. I would say that it is the case that societies are, in a way, like this, with emergent properties and histories. However, it is necessary to never lose track of the individual as an agent, with his/her own motivations, manipulations of the social system, and so forth. This is why theory about culture is complex. People are not simple automatons, and so how they use culture and contribute to it is creative. Yet culture still has emergent phenomena- or, perhaps more accurately, culture is an emergent phenomenon of humans living in groups.

Do you mean that humanity is plural, or that each of us, individually, is plural? And what are our parts? Is being human an emergent phenomenon itself of these parts or is it a consequence of one or more of the parts? I see myself as plural, but the question of what that means is an interesting one.

I would agree that for many, only parts of the human person are concerned with consciousness. However, I would not say this is true for all human beings or that it we are unable to extend this goal state to encompass all parts of being human.

That we are concerned with our relationship to the earth is not in opposition to higher meaning. Some religions believe it to be so, but I would heartily disagree. I would humbly offer from my own experience that, if one believes consciousness and meaning to be in opposition to the earth/Gaia, then one has not understood one's relationship to her very well. Indeed, the other beings of the earth and Gaia herself can be encouragement on the inner journey toward awareness and a meaningful life.

I would offer that the predominant Western viewpoint of the earth's creatures as "lower" than ourselves and as having nothing to offer us spiritually is not spiritually accurate, but rather arises from our own limitations borne from our consumerist based cultures, and one that is not universal.

There are lessons to be learned in incarnation- lessons of balance and life. There are reasons we incarnate. We can be masters of our stomachs, and this isn't very difficult to do, nor is doing so a necessary indication of enlightenment or awareness. But balancing the needs of ourselves as organisms and who we really are spiritually can be instructive toward understanding a relationship between physical life and form and the spirit. At least, that's what I'm finding on my journey.

I disagree. Some people, from a very young age, can recognize the difference between the two, as well as differentiating between the drives of the physical body, the energetic body, the mind, the social being, the soul, and the spirit. Of course, I may be quite inaccurate and it's very hard to communicate it, but early on I could recognize the diversity of such within myself- a physical animal body, an energetic body, a mind (personality, cognitive and learning style, etc.), a social being (which I can only partially define as its identity is constructed in social relationship), a soul (with its unique history), and a spirit (the essence that is in God). Like an onion, except the layers impact one another. At least, this is how I see it at this point based on observation.

It seems that when I talk to many people, they feel rather unified within themselves and do not recognize these distinctions. But then, they also have difficulty defining themselves as separate from socially-bound identities. Somehow, the norm for me is to see myself as multiple beings at once, or, more aptly, as a spirit with a history (soul), that is housed temporarily in a bunch of other stuff.

I would put forth that knowing, understanding, and perspective are different things and I hesitate to discuss them without any operational definitions. Furthermore, I would say there are things we can experience but not know, experience but not understand, that still shift our perspective in meaningful ways. So we can learn, and some of my own most foundational moments of learning, have been from these shifts in perspective... which typically come about through questioning, not answering. It is not in knowing or understanding something that I learn, but in questioning something. But then, all that depends on what you mean about understanding and knowing. Empathy, for example, can be a great learning tool that includes a sense of understanding. But it would be different from understanding how a television works. The former kind of understanding can come with shift in perspective, a broadening of our awareness. The latter is just comprehending information. I hesitate to say that it works the same for everyone.

My own spiritual path is deeply rooted in both spirit and the physical earth/life. The two go together for me. If you have interest in my perspective, I'd have to think a bit before trying to articulate the meaning of life. That our essence is spirit does not make life meaningless. Life, the incarnation of spirit and the consequence of the creativity of God, is far from meaningless. And indeed, the more I have recognized the spirit, the more I have seen the inherent sanctity and beauty of life.

I do not believe there are levels. I'm too animistic for that. I think beings are on individual paths toward awareness of the Divine, and so we can separate ourselves (or not) from It. However, I don't think we have the capacity to know what or how other beings experience life, so to ascribe other beings to a "lower" level is a bit irrelevant and disrespectful of other life-forms. Furthermore, my own spiritual experience has taught me much from what people often take to be "lower" forms with no spiritual life whatsoever, and I would propose that any being that is thought of as "lower" and incapable of sentience, communication, or wisdom is likely to be unable and/or unwilling to assist one in the spiritual journey... just as humans have been with one another. When we are open to learning from other beings, they are generally willing to share their journey as well, which has the capacity to accelerate our own.

I'm not sure what to make of the idea of a "seed" of a soul. Evolve into what? Devolve into what? Disperse how? I'm not trying to be difficult, but just trying to nail down what your operational definitions are. What is a soul compared to the seed? Are both the soul and the seed spiritual entities, and, if not, how does the transformation work?

Well, yes, but then those that serve as food are reaching their own potential, right? And in a sense, it is a very great potential... they are sacrificing their future for the future of other beings. In nature, these cycles are what keeps everything going. Now, I'm not arguing that the soul works the same way. I'm simply saying that typically, attempts to make nature-based analogies fall flat. Nature has its own wisdom and, generally speaking, the problems of humanity are due (in part) to our forgetting how to live in a respectful way in Nature. We may argue that selfishness and greed are "natural" but that is only half the truth, as altruism is also natural.

I'll not get too far into it here, but if one considers reincarnation, then the question of awakening is not "if" but "when."
Path, you always do an amazingly better job of describing my own views than I ever could.:p Nick, given your recent passing disparaging remark in another thread re to "New Age" thought, thought I'd mention that the views put forth here by Path comprise what I consider to be the core "New Age" paradigm, one which I believe makes the most sense out of various bits of experiential evidence from a variety of sources such as NDE's and parapsychological research into "after-death" communications among other avenues of research. earl

Path, you always do an amazingly better job of describing my own views than I ever could.:p Nick, given your recent passing disparaging remark in another thread re to "New Age" thought, thought I'd mention that the views put forth here by Path comprise what I consider to be the core "New Age" paradigm, one which I believe makes the most sense out of various bits of experiential evidence from a variety of sources such as NDE's and parapsychological research into "after-death" communications among other avenues of research. earl

I just read Path's posts and respect her sincerity so have to plan on how to respond without appearing disrespectful. As Father Sylvan remarked, the first thing that becomes lost as religion begins to become secularized is its levels of reality. This loss also creates the essence of New Age thought. This is hard to make understandable. I have books on these ideas and it took me a while to get a grip on it.

This absence allows the space that would normally filled by the spirit to be filled by our imagination which though pleasing is still imagination. Though not on my path, the path was in Simone Weil since she grasped these ideas with such inner purity. She wrote:

"Grace fills empty spaces, but it can only enter where there is a void to receive it We must continually suspend the work of the imagination in filling the void within ourselves."
"In no matter what circumstances, if the imagination is stopped from pouring itself out, we have a void (the poor in spirit). In no matter what circumstances... imagination can fill the void. This is why the average human beings can become prisoners, slaves, prostitutes, and pass thru no matter what suffering without being purified."

"That is why we fly from the inner void, since God might steal into it. It is not the pursuit of pleasure and the aversion for effort which causes sin, but fear of God. We know that we cannot see him face to face without dying, and we do not want to die."
-- Gravity and Grace

Imagination in this context is defined as a function that takes the place of a necessary function which is the power of impartial sustained attention that would provide us with the "presence" that we lack. Where Christianity as well as the essence of all the great traditions initiating from a conscious source strive to increase our power of attention to aid conscious evolution, New Age thought largely is content to teach us how to enjoy our imagination. To Know thyself requires a high quality of attention. To imagine oneself so as to escape facing our inner reality only requires an active imagination. This is why legit teachers must begin by allowing a person to experience their nothingness without imagining oneself as gods or whatever. It is the psychological foundation necessary to deal with our imagination. There is a lot of money in teaching people how to imagine themselves while those indicating the value of dealing with imagination are often strung up or hung from crosses in one form or another.

Nick as to your comment that New Age thought simply teaches folks to enjoy the products of their imagination- again there you go with 1 of your gross, unfounded blanket statements. Though, given the fact that the term "new age" is applied to cover so many divergent notions, sensible and nonsensical, guess I can forgive your over-reaching here to some degree. It's what makes the term "New Age" almost useless as a descriptive moniker. However, you'd have to be specific about which aspect of New Age thought or any spiritual path is "attending to imagination instead of truth," (your Simone-esque view), before I could properly respond. However, the imaginging oneself as "gods" per se is not typically a legitimate aspect of some of the core spiritual views or methods used by New Age-esque groups with legitimate intent. earl

Nick, I can't really respond because you did not respond to any of my questions about operational definitions, so I still have no clue what you're talking about- it's all words without meaning, at this point. I believe I have defined much of what I am saying in a way that others may grasp, but without a similar effort on your part, I'm afraid the conversation is reduced to you (essentially) saying that you disagree with me, but without any particular reasons for doing so, except that you (mistakenly) assume that I am of a particular religion (New Age) and that my thoughts are (mistakenly) coming from imagination rather than contemplative prayer.

On the contrary, my conclusions come from a spiritual experience that began when I was a child and has been informed from a variety of sources, including four years of study in the Eastern religions (particularly Buddhism and Confucianism), participating in the Episcopal church and reading widely applauded books in Christian mysticism (such as "The Cloud of Unknowing"), and participating in a Druidic organization. You assert that I imagine things, and that the "real" answer lies in facing the nothingness of ourselves. Yet facing the nothingness is exactly what I was talking about in my posts, so I am rather confused at your assertion. From what I gather, you are basically saying that if I do not agree with you on all points, then my viewpoint is worthless and is springing not from a lifetime of contemplative prayer and mystical experience, but from my own imagination.

Without any discussion of the various mystics (aside from Simone Weil, who was not the only one though certainly not irrelevant) and the various world religions' ways of dealing with this issue, your assertions remain unfounded, and I could just as easily assert that your own views are based on your conditioning and imagination, while mine are based on reality. Such is the problem of arguing about things that one can only experience. Some people see my beliefs as heretical. Some in this world would probably like to string someone like me up if they got a chance. Opposition to an idea, and particularly martyrdom, is not evidence of correctness of belief, but only how uncomfortable and desperate the other people are and how passionate (whether correctly applied or not) the martyr is. One can't judge correctness based on others' reactions, because all ideas will find people who back them and people who are repulsed.

Let me see if I can summarize... In essence, what I propose is that every human is, at the heart of things, not an individual that lasts. We are only, in essence, a creation of God, and only God sustains us. Eventually, the illusion of separation and diversity changes and, individually, that means we return to God and "I" am nothing in that Presence. However, that does not make our lives insignificant. On the contrary, each life of every being, human or not, is extremely significant to God. We have, with God's grace, the capacity and the opportunity to serve God by seeing God in every being and behaving accordingly. This allows us to love God with all our hearts, without any diversion or distraction from this lofty goal, while still remaining fully present in the world and thus avoiding escapism. This also allows us to love our neighbor as ourselves, for when we recognize ourselves only as temporary creations of God, and our neighbors likewise, then we can reach out, Spirit to Spirit, in recognition that I am you, and you are me. And in that space, it is impossible to fear anything, as we have nothing to gain and nothing to lose. We are already at one with God, and what could possibly matter more? And who can separate us from the love of God?

How any of this is escapism is beyond me to explain... Coming face to face with what we really are, and recognizing that the only thing that we are is by the grace of God, and all else is illusory... It is not an escape, as there is nowhere to which to escape.

Hi Path

Look at this painting of a wave:

IIvan Aivazovsky. The Billow. - Olga's Gallery

It is a description of our emotional life and of society as well as a natural phenomenon.

The wave is a result of the tension between gravity and wind. Within the great wave are many tiny waves moving in different directions creating this apparent chaos. Our emotional life is like this. Its wholeness, just as the wave, is considered as a whole, is also comprised of conflicting parts.

Society is like this. Its wholeness is as a result of conflicting external conditions and conscious influences coming from above. Individuals are also like this and our presence is dictated by external influences on our unique essential make-up. This produces all the oppositions similar to the tiny waves that form the great wave as a whole.

Lacking consciousness we cannot be other then automatons. A tiger is a living machine. It looks like it is deciding when to strike but actually it is reacting in accordance with mixed influences. We are the same so society is the same. This is the human condition but it doesn't have to be so. The great traditions refer to how to consciously awaken to the collective human condition. It is impossible for society as a whole but individuals are capable of awakening to it and being less of an automaton.

It is only through consciousness that man can be able to allow "thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven," since it requires us to remain open to receive from above so as to nourish the earth with this energy. Spiritual energy is of a higher quality then our emotional energy but without experience people believe that emotional energy arising from the earth is spiritual energy involving from above. This leads to imagination.

I would offer that the predominant Western viewpoint of the earth's creatures as "lower" than ourselves and as having nothing to offer us spiritually is not spiritually accurate, but rather arises from our own limitations borne from our consumerist based cultures, and one that is not universal.

This refers to quality of "being" The quality of being is defined by its closeness to the Creator. A vegetable for example has a higher quality of being then a mineral and an animal a higher quality of being then a vegetable.

Man is said to be "in the image" What does this mean? For me it means that man like the creator is a trinity. Where a clam is purely a physical presence, a dog is a physical as well as emotional presence which makes it higher than the clam. A human being also has a mind capable of conscious self awareness that can become able to know itself. Man then has the head which is capable of conscious potential, the body, which is capable of actualizing potential, and the emotions that can connect the head and body and experience qualities of meaning.

Unfortunately appreciating the scale of being in modern thought is seen as insulting and politically incorrect. Though everything is connected in our universe, this is not to say that everything is equal in objective quality. If it were the objective complimentary universal flows of "being" of involution into creation and evolution back to the source wouldn't exist.

There are lessons to be learned in incarnation- lessons of balance and life. There are reasons we incarnate. We can be masters of our stomachs, and this isn't very difficult to do, nor is doing so a necessary indication of enlightenment or awareness. But balancing the needs of ourselves as organisms and who we really are spiritually can be instructive toward understanding a relationship between physical life and form and the spirit. At least, that's what I'm finding on my journey.

What in your view is the purpose of an incarnation? what is the lesson to be learned?

I disagree. Some people, from a very young age, can recognize the difference between the two, as well as differentiating between the drives of the physical body, the energetic body, the mind, the social being, the soul, and the spirit. Of course, I may be quite inaccurate and it's very hard to communicate it, but early on I could recognize the diversity of such within myself- a physical animal body, an energetic body, a mind (personality, cognitive and learning style, etc.), a social being (which I can only partially define as its identity is constructed in social relationship), a soul (with its unique history), and a spirit (the essence that is in God). Like an onion, except the layers impact one another. At least, this is how I see it at this point based on observation.

I see this as being aware of the human condition that Paul describes quite well in Romans 7 as the "Wretched Man." Experiencing the problem is one thing but dealing with it other than in our imagination is another. This I believe would be the essence of our differing views.

It seems that when I talk to many people, they feel rather unified within themselves and do not recognize these distinctions. But then, they also have difficulty defining themselves as separate from socially-bound identities. Somehow, the norm for me is to see myself as multiple beings at once, or, more aptly, as a spirit with a history (soul), that is housed temporarily in a bunch of other stuff.

I agree. the Bible says man's name is legion. We are a plurality existing as a mixture giving the impression of the inner unity of a "solution." But you know in chemistry that the mixture lacks the inner unity of a solution. Yet conscious evolution asserts that through consciousness Man can evolve or change its being to acquire an inner unity or a "soul."

I would put forth that knowing, understanding, and perspective are different things and I hesitate to discuss them without any operational definitions.
What we do is an expression of our understanding. For example a person may know that they need to lose twenty pounds and go on a diet, This diet is an expression of their understanding. Soon a person may feel angry or depressed about something and go on a binge, This is also what they understand. All this means is that the understanding of a plurality always changes in accordance with external conditions on their personalities. It assures the continuance of the cycles of life as expressed in Ecclesiastes 3.

My own spiritual path is deeply rooted in both spirit and the physical earth/life. The two go together for me. If you have interest in my perspective, I'd have to think a bit before trying to articulate the meaning of life. That our essence is spirit does not make life meaningless. Life, the incarnation of spirit and the consequence of the creativity of God, is far from meaningless. And indeed, the more I have recognized the spirit, the more I have seen the inherent sanctity and beauty of life.

At some point I would be interested to discuss this since my belief in levels of reality would provide different conclusions that would be interesting to compare to yours.

I do not believe there are levels. I'm too animistic for that. I think beings are on individual paths toward awareness of the Divine, and so we can separate ourselves (or not) from It. However, I don't think we have the capacity to know what or how other beings experience life, so to ascribe other beings to a "lower" level is a bit irrelevant and disrespectful of other life-forms. Furthermore, my own spiritual experience has taught me much from what people often take to be "lower" forms with no spiritual life whatsoever, and I would propose that any being that is thought of as "lower" and incapable of sentience, communication, or wisdom is likely to be unable and/or unwilling to assist one in the spiritual journey... just as humans have been with one another. When we are open to learning from other beings, they are generally willing to share their journey as well, which has the capacity to accelerate our own.

I'm not sure what to make of the idea of a "seed" of a soul. Evolve into what? Devolve into what? Disperse how? I'm not trying to be difficult, but just trying to nail down what your operational definitions are. What is a soul compared to the seed? Are both the soul and the seed spiritual entities, and, if not, how does the transformation work?

This of course is the essence of our differing perspectives. Animal life having arisen from the earth has completed its evolution and serves its purpose in regards to the needs of the earth. I believe that Man is in a unique place on Mount Meru since it connects mechanical evolution with conscious devolution or the involving flow into creation. Man's evolution then is not complete and can change from mechanical to conscious evolution Man then has a higher part that is not attached to the earth as is animal life arising from it and the question becomes how to allow this part to develop.

What is modern religion? How are people taking it too seriously- do you mean people willing to kill/die for religion and so forth? And what is corruption on the inside to you?

Modern religion is an expression of our fallen being so functions with imagination. The more seriously we take escapism, the greater its hold on us. To make matters worse we can take the justified escapism of our imagination so seriously that it becomes a thought form and a living part of the seed of the soul that acts like a cancer in feeding on the host or the seed of the soul. This is hard to do but can be done.

continued

I disagree. I think, because of grace, we do have the capacity to know ourselves. For some, it may take years (and in my belief, lifetimes), and for others it comes in a moment. Some children seem born with the capacity, while others appear to sleep through all of life. Likewise, some kids are Mozart and others plunk away for years in piano lessons without ever developing musical genius. There is a reason why many societies chose their future shamans when they were yet children, but developed their spiritual skills for years in apprenticeship. Development can be important, but some people are just good at certain things. In a "secular" manner of speaking, this could be attributed to the strength of Gardner's intrapersonal intelligence in individuals.

I agree we have the capacity to "Know thyself" but the ability and the need to do so is another matter. A person can have an instantaneous experience of oneself inperspective and it is called gnosis in Christianity. Just such a moment provides direction free of imagination which is why it is considered so precious as a learning experience.

Oh yes. There is a ton of sacredness in non-human life. And wisdom. Not to mention there are humans living in the jungle who have their own religions and spiritual paths. If you do not experience the sacredness and wisdom of life on earth, I can't help you with that. Perhaps if you were someone I knew in person, and could spend some time with, and take you to some of the sacred places where it is easier to discern. But it is something that is everywhere and must be cultivated to consistently "hear." I'm grateful that my experience is of the sacredness and spiritual helpfulness of Gaia and her creatures. In many cases, they are far more understanding and honest than humans are, and they are excellent company.

We may differ here only in semantics. I define the sacred as an intent. Sacred text for example has the intent of acting as a tool for awakening. While there many be places on earth that are more favorable for a quality of inner opening I don't consider it sacred but rather just something natural that can create an inner experience. Beauty has the same effect but I don't consider it sacred by intent even though it is a godly attraction. But this is just semantics in that we would both respect and try to preserve such influences.

I entirely agree. My concern is for how humans can become aware- can become "aware beingness" rather than constructs of mere social identities, fears, and so forth. Yet, I do not think that society is independent from the capacity of human beings (in larger numbers) to do so. And while I think, to transcend suffering permanently and usher in the Kingdom of Heaven, will require surgery, so to speak... in the meantime, I do not scoff at the emergency room doctors who temporarily patch someone up until they can get to that point.

I agree. Simone Weil wrote "The Need For Roots" just to show how the quality of societal ideals adhered to by its individuals or its "metaxu" can be beneficial not only for secular life but in the creation of individuality as well. I've just learned how far we've come from having any awareness of the importance of such ideals that now appear to many as elitist.

Are you proposing that everyone who is well-educated is a slave to society? I would find that singularly prejudiced and ill-informed. Like anything else, we're a diverse lot.
No, not at all. there are exceptions like Prof. Jacob Needleman who are highly educated but have not become egotistically caught up in it. Unfortunately, education is often seen as indicating higher understanding that doesn't exist.

My experience has been that it is not any individual social identity (level of education, religious affiliation, race/ethnicity, gender, etc.) that causes people to be conditioned or not. Upbringing can have something to do with it (i.e., I was raised by a rather rebellious mystical mother whose tagline was "Question all authority") but some are inherently more resistant than others to conditioning. We find similar diversity in other social mammals such as dogs and horses. When we don't like these dogs/horses/people, we say they are disruptive or stubborn. ;)

I agree. Simone was a rebel but an honest one. Instead of just complaining, she sought and acquire the necessary quality of attention for the direct experience of reality rather then self justification of ones complaints. That is why she annoyed most. But this is the basic issue. In Plato's cave we seek self justification while the attraction to leave the cave requires abandoning self justification and how much our "education" supports it. What does it take for an "educated" person in the societal sense to admit their nothingness in relation to their "being" potential? This is where individuals can consciously evolve while society remains the mechanical reactive organism it is.

Nick as to your comment that New Age thought simply teaches folks to enjoy the products of their imagination- again there you go with 1 of your gross, unfounded blanket statements. Though, given the fact that the term "new age" is applied to cover so many divergent notions, sensible and nonsensical, guess I can forgive your over-reaching here to some degree. It's what makes the term "New Age" almost useless as a descriptive moniker. However, you'd have to be specific about which aspect of New Age thought or any spiritual path is "attending to imagination instead of truth," (your Simone-esque view), before I could properly respond. However, the imaginging oneself as "gods" per se is not typically a legitimate aspect of some of the core spiritual views or methods used by New Age-esque groups with legitimate intent. earl

In order to profit from deductive reasoning, we first must experience a contrast between above and below. Does the following make any sense to you and why the experience of universal laws has to be an objective experience beyond the limitations of our associative reason? If so, can this objective experience come from imagination?

In our attempt to reconcile the inner and outer world, however, we do come up against a very real difficulty, which must be faced. This difficulty is connected with the problem of reconciling different 'methods of knowing'.

Man has two ways of studying the universe. The first is by induction: he examines phenomena, classifies them, and attempts to infer laws and principles from them. This is the method generally used by science. The second is by deduction: having perceived or had revealed or discovered certain general laws and principles, he attempts to deduce the application of these laws in various studies and in life. This is the method generally used by religions.. The first method begins with 'facts' and attempts to reach 'laws'. The second method begins with 'laws' and attempts to reach 'facts'.

These two methods belong to the working of different human functions. The first is the method of the ordinary logical mind, which is permanently available to us. the second derives from a potential function in man, which is ordinarily inactive for lack of nervous energy of sufficient intensity, and which we may call higher mental function This function on rare occasions of its operation, reveals to man laws in action, he sees the whole phenomenal world as the product of laws.

All true formulations of universal laws derive recently or remotely from the working of this higher function, somewhere and in some man. At the same time, for the application and understanding of the laws revealed in the long stretches of time and culture when such revelation is not available, man has to rely on the ordinary logical mind."

If what you're contending, Nick, is that spiritual insights or "experiences" are functions of an indefinable faculty of consciousness other than logical, deductive processes, I'd agree. The deductive speculating might follow upon the experience. earl

Hi Path

Nick, I can't really respond because you did not respond to any of my questions about operational definitions, so I still have no clue what you're talking about- it's all words without meaning, at this point.
The two important distinctions for me in this discussion so far are the relationship between conscious attention and imagination and the difference between soul and spirit.

Where Spirit is a flow of Being, the seed of the soul and the soul itself is an entity that connects the quality of "being" directly above and below it. In this way it receives from the higher and gives to the lower.

Conscious attention is an attribute of Man while its loss is an attribute of fallen man and this loss is compensated for by imagination. In the absence of conscious attention we live by imagination. Consequently our lives are lived through imagination.

Many people have objective religious experiences but the devil is in the details. This means is that we begin to interpret them and they become distorted. I'm not being critical but just expressing what I've learned and experienced as a psychological reality. It is good that you have had experiences. Many don't experience anything to distort.

Experiencing our nothingness is good but without the context of human evolutionary potential, it is nihilism and people can easily drift into what Simone cautioned about:

"The danger is not lest the soul should doubt whether there is any bread, but lest, by a lie, it should persuade itself that it is not hungry." Simone Weil

Classic escapism convinces the soul that it isn't hungry through the dominance of imagination.

Let me see if I can summarize... In essence, what I propose is that every human is, at the heart of things, not an individual that lasts. We are only, in essence, a creation of God, and only God sustains us. Eventually, the illusion of separation and diversity changes and, individually, that means we return to God and "I" am nothing in that Presence. However, that does not make our lives insignificant. On the contrary, each life of every being, human or not, is extremely significant to God. We have, with God's grace, the capacity and the opportunity to serve God by seeing God in every being and behaving accordingly. This allows us to love God with all our hearts, without any diversion or distraction from this lofty goal, while still remaining fully present in the world and thus avoiding escapism. This also allows us to love our neighbor as ourselves, for when we recognize ourselves only as temporary creations of God, and our neighbors likewise, then we can reach out, Spirit to Spirit, in recognition that I am you, and you are me. And in that space, it is impossible to fear anything, as we have nothing to gain and nothing to lose. We are already at one with God, and what could possibly matter more? And who can separate us from the love of God?
In contrast I would say that though universal structure including Man as a cosmological level is a creation of God, man on earth is a creation initiating much lower within the scale of being and more associated with the level of the Son. This is why we have the complimentary accounts of creation in Genesis.

There is no illusion of separation. In fact we are separated. It is through conscious evolution that human"being" becomes closer to God.

Organic life on earth including the physical Man is so low within creation that we are unimportant. However we have the possibility of becoming important and to serve a higher universal conscious purpose that the essence of religion serves to awaken us to it.

As we are, unconditional love is impossible for us. We are limited to animal selective love. This doesn't make it bad but just is of a lesser quality than Man is capable of. The sacred impulses of faith, hope, and love exist in us more as rudimentary expressions of what conscious Man is capable of.

As long as we live in imagination we are separate from God's love which comes to us as grace.

"The only way into truth is through one's own annihilation; through dwelling a long time in a state of extreme and total humiliation." Simone Weil

Our false pride and vanity struggles against the truth of the human condition. They express their displeasure through humiliation. Could the rich man in the Bible give up his riches that support his image to follow Jesus even though he wanted to? No.

It is one thing to speak of truth but acquiring the ability to be open to it so as to receive the Spirit is very difficult since our false pride and vanity comprise the majority of ourselves. Jesus on the cross was able to maintain a state of conscious impartial attention in his "presence" so as to invite the help of the Spirit for the goal of re-birth. Of course for us if we stub our toe, we lose our presence. But all efforts made in the direction to become "present" are never lost and serve as a beginning.

In order to profit from deductive reasoning, we first must experience a contrast between above and below. Does the following make any sense to you and why the experience of universal laws has to be an objective experience beyond the limitations of our associative reason? If so, can this objective experience come from imagination?

Nick,
I would allow credence to many here having experience apart from the realms of imagination you are so fond of promoting. Sometimes there are descriptive gems in your words yet I often wonder where is the understanding compassion brings learnt through your own experience. How do you test yourself and your own mind in the intimate knowledge of knowing thyself and reality.

- c -

Nick,
I would allow credence to many here having experience apart from the realms of imagination you are so fond of promoting. Sometimes there are descriptive gems in your words yet I often wonder where is the understanding compassion brings learnt through your own experience. How do you test yourself and your own mind in the intimate knowledge of knowing thyself and reality.

- c -

Hi ciel

I don't know what you mean by compassion? Are you referring to empathy? I do shows at nursing homes as an entertaining musician and go over well because I appreciate where inwardly these people are at this time of life and they appreciate it. I get paid for a service many cannot do because their ego doesn't allow it. Is this compassion or just being human?

As I said the only way to test oneself is to try to remain present. All I can say that before discovering my path I was completely dominated by imagination. I wasn't known affectionately where I lived as the divorced musician living with the town witch for nothing.

Where the light of conscious attention exists, the darkness of imagination cannot. They are mutually exclusive. Consider how Prof. Needleman and Father Sylvan explained it:

Jacob Needleman on the soul The Search For Integrity

All revelation is the revelation of how to search, how to struggle. It is not the revelation of results.

The principal power of the soul, which defines its real nature, is a gathered attention that is directed simultaneously toward the spirit and the body. This is attention of the heart, and this is the principal mediating, harmonizing power of the soul. The mediating attention of the heart is spontaneously activated in the state of profound self-questioning. God can only speak to the soul, Father Sylvan writes, and only when the soul exists. But the soul of man only exists for a moment, as long as it takes for the question to appear and disappear.

So rather then argue results, my spiritual concern is acquiring better states of conscious attention or "presence." What compassion, in the real meaning of the word, is possible for a person lacking presence?

Watch this trailer for the soon to be released documentary on Simone Weil.

YouTube - An Interview with Simone Weil trailer

Is attention really the rarest form of generosity? It is hard to conceive of because we lack it. yet for those that have acquired it, they do become capable of true compassion.

These are hard questions because we don't see how limited we are in relation to our potential. So I try and be humble enough to struggle with "attention."

Nick,
Simone, I am not drawn towards. Any saving grace in her direction departed with her quote of post 49, regarding humiliation as a way to truth. It is a false dichotomy, though appropriate for departing dictators.

I agree the only way to test oneself is to remain present. Then again one must know the presence of the present one is in. One must know and be able to feel the inner silent core of being without the pull of the harp strings of the mind.

And attention as generosity, yes, one more reason for being.........
And when there is truth there is compassion.

- c -

Nick,
Simone, I am not drawn towards. Any saving grace in her direction departed with her quote of post 49, regarding humiliation as a way to truth. It is a false dichotomy, though appropriate for departing dictators.

I agree the only way to test oneself is to remain present. Then again one must know the presence of the present one is in. One must know and be able to feel the inner silent core of being without the pull of the harp strings of the mind.

And attention as generosity, yes, one more reason for being.........
And when there is truth there is compassion.

- c -

I will agree that Simone is not for those that like a nice calm approach. This willingness to accept humiliation for the sake of developing attention is actually an Eastern technique to free oneself from attachment.

"There is no detachment where there is no pain. And there is no pain endured without hatred or lying unless detachment is present too." Simone Weil
Struggling with attachments requires the ability to consciously witness humiliation being experienced by our false pride and vanity. When they are dominant, we are attached regardless of platitudes. This is too much for most but there are a minority that are openly willing to sacrifice by witnessing the humiliating expressions of their pride and vanity in search of the experience of the pearl of great price. These people are strange to us but that doesn't make them wrong other then by societal standards that desire one to fall into place.

I will agree that Simone is not for those that like a nice calm approach. This willingness to accept humiliation for the sake of developing attention is actually an Eastern technique to free oneself from attachment.

Struggling with attachments requires the ability to consciously witness humiliation being experienced by our false pride and vanity. When they are dominant, we are attached regardless of platitudes. This is too much for most but there are a minority that are openly willing to sacrifice by witnessing the humiliating expressions of their pride and vanity in search of the experience of the pearl of great price. These people are strange to us but that doesn't make them wrong other then by societal standards that desire one to fall into place.

Nick,
It is founded in spiritual fascism and has as much right in todays world as the slave trade. Would you wish it for yourself?

- c -

Nick,
It is founded in spiritual fascism and has as much right in todays world as the slave trade. Would you wish it for yourself?

- c -

I'm not either brave or free enough yet.

Fascism is a secular philosophy. Ones need to grow is strictly personal and a transcendent need. The heart is called to the quality of being symbolized by the pearl of great worth at the expense of societal conditioning. It is a form of slave trade though. It is choosing to become a slave to higher being for the help it provides at the expense of slavery to sin which keeps one in attachment.

Don't get me wrong. I'm the first to admit how difficult this is and how I'm not strong enough emotionally for it yet. I'm no Simone. However I've had enough experience to appreciate the good sense and value of this freedom and what it can lead to.

Nick, just wanted you to know that I'm not ignoring you. I'll respond at length in a bit. I'm currently in full "finals exam week" mode with about 100 students' papers to grade and a coming road trip through three days of snow. So... I will get back to this as soon as I have time (probably early next week, but you never know... I might squeeze in time tonight!). :)

More thoughts in a bit... Much stuff to discuss and I didn't want to give a short-hand or half-baked response. :D

Nick, just wanted you to know that I'm not ignoring you. I'll respond at length in a bit. I'm currently in full "finals exam week" mode with about 100 students' papers to grade and a coming road trip through three days of snow. So... I will get back to this as soon as I have time (probably early next week, but you never know... I might squeeze in time tonight!). :)

More thoughts in a bit... Much stuff to discuss and I didn't want to give a short-hand or half-baked response. :D
What do you teach? I probably would have flunked out.:) Nah, just kidding.

Actually I appreciate your willingness to go a little deeper without being stuffy or nasty about it. Next year is the birth centennial year for Simone Weil and I hope to take part in certain discussions in philosophy and religion clubs in local universities here in New York so do expect initial strong rejection from more secular types. But I believe that during discussions if handled respectfully, they will become less polarized. So I appreciate honest dissent since I can ponder another point of view. Good practice.:)

Actually when your semester concludes I'd appreciate running some ideas by you on a new thread since something very deep is becoming more clear to me that can serve to connect the secular with the transcendent but I don't know how to present it in a way that doesn't become interpreted as typical Interfaith mayonnaise that covers up problems much like mayonnaise covers up the taste of rotting meat but actually offers a solution that could be worked with.

.......... typical Interfaith mayonnaise that covers up problems much like mayonnaise covers up the taste of rotting meat .

Nick, the very reason I realized I cannot eat at your table.

There is much to be said for good wholesome vegetables grown at source.

bon appetite.

- c -

What do you teach? I probably would have flunked out.:) Nah, just kidding.

LOL- I don't require agreement, only demonstration of understanding the concepts, perspective, and data. I state this from the beginning of my courses. I encourage dissent. It's aligned with my own pedagogy, which is very much informed by those such as bell hooks and paulo friere. I'm honest with my students about my own views, especially if they ask (I won't tell them my religious background or beliefs, but I'll answer if they ask- in religion classes, not til the end of the course- there's a reason). But I'm not there to teach them my views. I'm there to teach them my discipline's ways of knowing stuff and concepts, and let them dig in with both criticism and praise.

Oh, and I teach cultural anthropology. My specializations are cognitive anthropology and cultural/political ecology. My minor was religious studies; nearly a double major. I've taught religion classes as well as anthropology. My primary theoretical interests are cultural modeling, decision-making, and the intersection of the individual and community (i.e., identity formation, etc.). My primary applied interests are policy-making, including food security and agricultural policy, rights to land, conservation of natural resources, and health care systems. I'm interested in both domestic and international development. Hope that helps frame it up.

Actually I appreciate your willingness to go a little deeper without being stuffy or nasty about it.

I can promise to avoid nastiness, but I'm not sure what constitutes stuffiness, so I can only try. :eek:

Next year is the birth centennial year for Simone Weil and I hope to take part in certain discussions in philosophy and religion clubs in local universities here in New York so do expect initial strong rejection from more secular types. But I believe that during discussions if handled respectfully, they will become less polarized. So I appreciate honest dissent since I can ponder another point of view. Good practice.:)

I'm happy to oblige, but I must be honest here- I rarely respond in this forum as "only" an anthropologist. I'm here primarily for my spiritual life. Anthropology is what I do and a discipline I've learned. It's not who I am. It's a useful way to work on some problems and a problematic barrier in how to work on others- both on a social level and an individual one.

Anthropologists are largely agnostic, and many are atheist. Most are empiricists, particularly the strains of theory that I was trained in and often use- including historical materialism and other theory arising from Marxism. On the flip side, I interject a fair bit of the postmodern critique as a balance in my work... but postmodernism has largely been humanistic, not spiritual. I can be a very nuts and bolts kind of scientist, highly objective in methodology, but that isn't who I am. It's just ways of getting at problems I've found useful. It's a toolbox, not the tool-maker or the tool-user.

As a being on a spiritual journey, I most closely identify with being a mystic. It comes naturally to me and it's how I was raised to be. Various religions have informed my path, but my journey comes down to a very personal ongoing experience of what I'd call the Divine One- God.

So you might keep in mind that what my thoughts may be are going to arise (at times) from the "secular" world of my discipline and, at others, from the "sacred" world that is my life. Much of my thinking in this thread, for example, is not from Scientist POO, it's from Mystic POO. :p (Nods to Tao) So I may be good grounds for practice, but you'll get a different reaction from a more strongly secular person than me. I critique here mostly from my heart, not my head- from a deeply intuitive grasp of some things I can scarcely express, much less explain. When I say "I observe" or "I experience," this is not to mean a scientific experiment (unless I qualify it as such), but rather, it is to mean my spiritual observations and experience, which are mixed up with my ordinary ones completely unless I bother to separate them, which I learned to do.

So, I can speak as a scientist (and the "a" is very important there- remember, I'm just one and not a particularly special one), or a mystic, or both blended together. I can always qualify a thought if you're curious about which hat I'm donning.

Actually when your semester concludes I'd appreciate running some ideas by you on a new thread since something very deep is becoming more clear to me that can serve to connect the secular with the transcendent but I don't know how to present it in a way that doesn't become interpreted as typical Interfaith mayonnaise that covers up problems much like mayonnaise covers up the taste of rotting meat but actually offers a solution that could be worked with.

I'd be happy to oblige. I love ideas. They're like fertilizer-- helping me grow. :)

Hi Path

Well if you teach anthropology and by that I mean what is described in the following definition, I have to get one of your students to write on the nature of "Great Beast." All kidding aside, I'm surprised that Simone doesn't interest you more in her struggles against oppression.

Study or science of man. Anthropology includes the study of human physiology, human psychology, the study of human societies (origins, institutions, religious beliefs, social relationships, etc...) and all the other aspect of human culture, whether past or present.
www.geocities.com/amuns_temple/Glossary.htm

By stuffy I mean the condescending attitude of these "educated" ones that have memorized facts at the expense of the big picture so condemn those that have a greater interest in the big picture. On a larger scale, this is the danger of fragmentation in education. Students of religion like this have memorized all sorts of biblical passages but without context and look down on those that see the fallacy in this. It raises the interesting question of who has the "credentials" to discuss the higher religious truths? They had a whole Jesus Seminar of people with credentials which totally missed the big picture.

So you might keep in mind that what my thoughts may be are going to arise (at times) from the "secular" world of my discipline and, at others, from the "sacred" world that is my life. Much of my thinking in this thread, for example, is not from Scientist POO, it's from Mystic POO. :p (Nods to Tao) So I may be good grounds for practice, but you'll get a different reaction from a more strongly secular person than me. I critique here mostly from my heart, not my head- from a deeply intuitive grasp of some things I can scarcely express, much less explain. When I say "I observe" or "I experience," this is not to mean a scientific experiment (unless I qualify it as such), but rather, it is to mean my spiritual observations and experience, which are mixed up with my ordinary ones completely unless I bother to separate them, which I learned to do.
Don't get me wrong. I'm not against secular values but rather believe in the reality of human "being" and how above all things regardless of all sorts of good intentions societies as a whole are simultaneously capable of the greatest compassion and the greatest atrocities as expressions of this collective level of human "being.".

Jesus said to give to Caesar what is Caesar's and to God what is God's but we don't know what it means much less how to do it. Yet to do so is to connect the transcendent with the secular as should be natural for us without the unfortunate effects over time of the human condition. My concern with the dominance of secularism is that it has made any connection virtually impossible.

As far as the heart is concerned, my own belief is that it doesn't function as it should from the human condition as it is and the healing of the heart is one purpose of the Spiritual energy referred to of Christianity. The following is from a discussion in which Jacob Needleman is speaking:

You know, one of my favorite things about communicating is a saying of one of the Hassidic masters. One of the pupils asked him, "Why does it say in the Torah, 'Lay these words upon your heart'? Why doesn't it say, 'Put these words in your heart'?" This is from Deuteronomy, one of the translations. And the master says, "It tells us to put these words on our heart because we are not capable of directly putting them in our hearts. So all we can do is put them on our hearts and they stay there, so that when the heart breaks they can fall in." This is a tremendous story of why story and art of certain kinds of communication are given that the head can't figure out, but which have an action on the feeling.
The question of the heart and what purity of the heart means is a topic in itself. I am only suggesting, and don't take offense, that what we call a heart-felt experience may not be so but far more superficial and illusory and as Prof. Needleman alludes to, something hidden that sacred scripture can aid in opening..

Back