Burned at the stake for the Bible

Nick the Pilot

Reaction score
Hi everybody!

I recently watched a particularly disturbing program on America's public TV network (PBS). It was the story of how people were put to death in Europe in the 1600's for both translating the Bible into English, and for reading the English-language Bible.

SECRETS OF THE DEAD . Battle for the Bible | PBS

Has anybody else seen this horrifying program, or heard of these events?

I was especially amazed by how the Catholic and Episcopal churches forbid the Bible to be written in English, and forbid its members to read the Bible all by themselves. It seems so opposite of what happens today. I guess that's just how things were in Europe in the 1600's — you were burned at the stake for simply having an English Bible?

Truly shocking.

It is true, however the reformation actually started much earlier than 1600. I think it was around 1200, and I'm sure there are many more details. Politics had something to do with it. Many of the protesting churches followed suit with persecutions of their own, and many of those original protestant churches protest much less. I wouldn't consider the big churches to be powerless or entirely assassinless, but I don't really know. Everyone has changed a little since then. Everyone also wonders why ecumenical councils didn't work, why the little churches often break into yet littler churches, and why those seem to break into even littler ones.

I rarely bring it up in forums, because it isn't conducive to conversation. It can be sort of like reminding your parents of all their mistakes or your friends of their annoyances and then expecting to casually lecture them on Huckleberry Finn at the same sitting. (not that I object to discussing it here in this thread. I don't. Somebody brings it up sooner or later.)

Hi everybody!

I recently watched a particularly disturbing program on America's public TV network (PBS). It was the story of how people were put to death in Europe in the 1600's for both translating the Bible into English, and for reading the English-language Bible.

I was especially amazed by how the Catholic and Episcopal churches forbid the Bible to be written in English, and forbid its members to read the Bible all by themselves. It seems so opposite of what happens today. I guess that's just how things were in Europe in the 1600's — you were burned at the stake for simply having an English Bible?

Truly shocking.

Hi there Nick (I like your name.)

I read this as just normal for secular devolution. At one time sacred text was passed along as an oral tradition. It was known that knowledge by itself, without having developed a more human perspective, must become perverted. As the student became ready, knowledge was given to him. Of course this appeared insulting to those without this human capacity for understanding so written documents pertaining to whatever sacred text gradually appeared from the loss of understanding..

Naturally then, interpretations normal for the fallen human perspective we call "understanding," began to be passed along by these confused people called "experts" from their own written interpretations. It is no wonder then that the insults became so intolerable that people were compelled to kill one another. This just seems normal for the process of the sacred devolving into the secular.

Nick, Dream, et all,

I agree. But people were forbidden to read a Bible written in their vernacular? People were forbidden to possess a Bible written in their vernacular?

This is too bizarre.

Nick,

Yes, we share a nice name. My birthday is in December, and I was named after Santa. (No kidding.)

Hi Nick —

Well the history is there ... but from reading the programme notes, I think this one's high on the sensationalist element and a bit light on a proper grasp or presentation of the facts. We get this sort of thing this side of the pond, it's cheap TV journalism, in the words of the media mogul, "never let the truth stand in the way of a good story".

And of course, in this age of Political Correctness, the Catholic Church is the only social institution one can attack with impunity.

For a proper understanding of the events, there are a few key issues that need to be taken on board; the emergence of nationalism, the need for a reformation in Europe, the collapse of the Holy Roman Empire, and the assault on the traditional structures of authority of the Church.

you were burned at the stake for simply having an English Bible?
Not quite. The Bible in the vernacular was part of a greater heretical movement.

Tyndale was a great follower of Martin Luther, and was regarded with suspicion by both church and the state, they saw him as looking to bring the reformation to England, a threat to the crown as well as the church, and wanted to avoid the kind of slaughter we now know as The Peasant's Revolt, when the German peasantry took Martin Luther at his word, to their great cost.

St Thomas More, the notable English martyr, was among those who accused Tyndale of intentionally mistranslating the text in order to promote anti-clericalism and heretical views. As so often is the case, he hoped to harness grass-roots support to drive through a political agenda.

Tyndale was burned for heresy, not for translating the Bible.

Key to the Church's power was the fact that its rituals were conducted in Latin, a language inaccessible to the uneducated faithful. The public was completely dependent on the priesthood for access to salvation -- only through mysterious rituals conducted in an unfamiliar tongue could they conduct their spiritual lives.
This is actually not the case at all, and the kind of thing that pop-scholars or ill-informed journalists make when the assume that 'common knowledge' is actual fact. It's a common misconception founded on Reformation propaganda. Serious scholarship provides us with a completely different picture, actually quite the reverse of the above, of a lively and vibrant faith.

When, briefly, Catholicism emerged under Mary Queen of Scots, the churches, denuded by the reformers who allowed no images, no statues, no candles, no decoration ... were very quickly restored to their former glory. It is now a matter of evidence that a vast mass of books, artworks, vestments and all manner of religious materials were in fact kept by the local congregations in the hope of a return to the old and trusted traditions.

In Europe meanwhile, under the impetus of the Reformation, the people were denied access to the rites and symbols which gave their lives meaning. In Calvinist Switzerland a woman was burned to death for putting flowers on her husband's grave. So they looked elsewhere, to folk practice, and the result was a resurgence in the minds of the Reformers of a practice more dangerous than popery ... witchcraft!

Examination of registers clearly show that it was the Reformers who were most zealous in the hunting and burning or witches, such acts in Catholic countries — were a known and meaningful symbolism spoke to the people — were few and far between. Another evidence of a lively and life-affirming faith.

Thomas

Hi there Nick (I like your name.)

That's the name you would have got if you had signed up earlier.

Yes, we share a nice name. My birthday is in December, and I was named after Santa. (No kidding.)

Are you a saint that I should worship you?

why the little churches often break into yet littler churches, and why those seem to break into even littler ones.

Eventually it splits into individuals. Look at me! I am a church unto myself!

Alas, I found that I could not agree with myself. I shall become a heretic.

But I can be happy that I am outside all of your individual jurisdictions. Except my own. How shall I excommunicate myself? Commune with myself?

Thomas,

You said,

"Tyndale was burned for heresy, not for translating the Bible."

--> Do you think it is OK to burn people to death because they are heretics?

Saltmeister,

You asked,

"...that I should worship you?"

--> You may, if you wish.

laughing.gif

http://users.ez2.net/nick29/laughing.gif

Thomas said:
...It's a common misconception founded on Reformation propaganda. Serious scholarship provides us with a completely different picture, actually quite the reverse of the above, of a lively and vibrant faith.
If I leave out rumors of burnings, uprisings, and hot-headed politicians -- what, in your opinion, caused so many people want to leave the Roman tradition? What has changed to improve that?

I went through Protestant Christian schools for the majority of my elementary education, which gave a view of the Reformation not unlike that of those journalists. I also was assigned to read a short biography on Tyndale, John Bunyan, and several others Protesters/Reformers and had to write something about them. I got a grim picture of the Roman Catholic Church from it, too. I think here in the States there's still some anti-Catholic sentiment, and other than doctrinal disagreements it is mostly because of the things we're talking about right now.

Saltmeister said:
But I can be happy that I am outside all of your individual jurisdictions. Except my own. How shall I excommunicate myself? Commune with myself?
Tell jokes to yourself? Laugh at your self's jokes?
seattlegal-albums-emoticons-picture111-python-foot.jpg

Hi everybody!

Truly shocking.

I missed the show, Nick. I did want to see it but the wife had other plans. I am hoping to catch it next time around.

Have you ever read Foxe's "Book of Martyrs" ? It tells of a number of various "burning at the stake" and other executions that took place, particularly in England during the various battles waged between Catholics and the Anglican church. I understood this period of time to be the 16th century however, which would be the 1500's. The JKV was originally published in 1611, and the Anglican church has pretty well dominated English politics since. The Battle Royale between Mary Queen of Scots and Bloody Mary cost many lives, some of which are highlighted in that book, and that would have occured in the mid-1500's. During the 1600's the focus of the Anglican church shifted...and it was Puritans who were put to the torch.

Interestingly, it was Puritans who fled those torchings who settled in America (Plymouth Rock and Massachussetts Bay Colony) who later sponsored the witch trials in Salem.

What goes around comes around sometimes it seems.

Perhaps some of our English friends know more and would be willing to share. I haven't read Thomas' posts yet, no doubt illuminating.

Last edited:
juantoo3,

I hope you get to see the program the next time it comes around. I did learn one thing from the show -- Queen Mary is called Bloody Mary because of all the people she had burned at the stake!

You said,

"Interestingly, it was Puritans who fled those torchings who settled in America (Plymouth Rock and Massachussetts Bay Colony) who later sponsored the witch trials in Salem."

I had not thought of that. It is a chilling irony.

"I haven't read Thomas' posts yet, no doubt illuminating."

--> I am waiting for Thomas' response with high enthusiasm.

Hi everybody!

Truly shocking.
yes , and it was always the so called religious leaders who were at the forefront of it all.

and to think that the bible is the inspired word of God to us all , makes me think who really are those religious leaders working for, GOD? or the one in opposition to God (satan)
it seems to me that those religious leaders are more interested in their traditions of men than they are in knowing what the bible really teaches

nothing changes does it :)

its like they are saying , lets shut up the truth of the bible we might lose our power.

so bringing it up to modern day translation, what translation have the religious leaders of christendom had great opposition too .

even telling their flocks to not read it , and even having the people who promote bible truth thrown in prison on false charges.

HERE IT IS
Read the Bible Online

New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures

There is no greater treasure to be found.
Bible truth liberates us from superstition, confusion, and morbid fear. It gives us hope, purpose, and joy. Jesus said: ”You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”—jOHN;32

I like what tyndale said to a high ranking clergy-man, who was saying that the pope was better than Gods laws.

Tyndale’s reply was: ‘I defy the Pope and all his laws. If God spare my life, ere many years I shall cause a boy that driveth the plow shall know more of the Scriptures than thou doest.’

yes tyndale was more interested in getting the bible out to all people . :) thats the way to do it

Hi Dream —

If I leave out rumors of burnings, uprisings, and hot-headed politicians -- what, in your opinion, caused so many people want to leave the Roman tradition?
I don't think there were movements or feelings among the people on such a scale. It all started with individuals, remember, not with social movements.

The big error is assuming that these movements were 'grass-root', they were not, and the burnings and uprisings were caused in the majority by hot-headed politicians ... they followed the Reformation, they did not precede it.

In Germany, for example, Luther protested against indulgences/funds being raised on German soil to build the basilica in Rome ... he had no problem with indulgences/funds when the money went to his own bishop.

When the German people took his words to heart, and tried to throw off their leaders as he had thrown off the church, it was he who spoke most vociferously against them, and their slaughter followed.

Be under no illusion — this 'will of the people' thing is a crock — no-one was going to hand over power to the people, mob rule followed and the result would be disaster. The founders of the Reformed religions were no different, they held the power and they made the decisions, and the people did what they were told, as they had always done.

In England we learned of the 'dissolution of the monasteries' — we were taught that the church was corrupt and the monasteries were dens of vice and corruption. What a pile of crap! Pure Protestant propaganda — the result of what today we call a 'black-ops' exercise.

Examinations of parish and county records now show that the Monasteries and Convents were invariably well run, well ordered, and well liked. The emerging aristocracy wanted power and money, and the key to that was land. They convinced Henry VIII that if he seized the church's assets, he'd have money enough to fund his wars in Europe. He believed them, but as a result of the assault on the great religious houses, hardly a penny founds its way into his coffers. Instead the new upstart nobility took possession of the land, and ensured their personal wealth thereby.

And the peasantry? They suffered bad management, greed ... they were worse off now than before, and more than a few suffered for making the point.

What has changed to improve that?
Nothing. The situation after the Reformation was often worse.

The bloodshed that followed was nothing to do with religion, it was all to do with power. Catholic v Protestant was just the excuse — in England political machinations left the heirs of Henry VIII powerless, even Elizabeth I has come down to us as a 'complex' character — strong-willed, but ever at risk because of it.

I also was assigned to read a short biography on Tyndale, John Bunyan, and several others Protesters/Reformers and had to write something about them.
I'm not saying there were no good people. There were, on all sides ... but the real 'movers and shakers'? They had their eye on the prize: Power.

In Switzerland, for example, where Calvinism held sway, the reformed image of the 'justified of God' bore a marked resemblance to the emerging Swiss urban elite ... because calvin knew where his power lay, and where the money came from.

I got a grim picture of the Roman Catholic Church from it, too. I think here in the States there's still some anti-Catholic sentiment, and other than doctrinal disagreements it is mostly because of the things we're talking about right now.
Anti-Catholic sentiment goes hand in hand with the English language. In Europe it's not so pronounced because Catholic countries survived in places to counter-balance the Protestant.

One thing: The Reformation only took hold in countries that had weak national leadership — it was this weakness that was exploited and thus the cause of the bloodshed, as the opposite sides fought it out to get to the top of the heap.

Thomas

Thomas said:
Examinations of parish and county records now show that the Monasteries and Convents were invariably well run, well ordered, and well liked.
oh, come *on*, thomas. "invariably"? did you see terry jones' show and book "mediaeval lives" - there was a part on monks. it was extremely well researched and backed by some very eminent historians at least one of whom i know personally. they were extremely even-handed and, like myself, in no way out to bash the catholics - and as far as i can tell, the picture is a little bit more nuanced than you suggest. i'll dig out some references when i can.

b'shalom

bananabrain

so bringing it up to modern day translation, what translation have the religious leaders of christendom had great opposition too .

even telling their flocks to not read it , and even having the people who promote bible truth thrown in prison on false charges.

HERE IT IS
Read the Bible Online

New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures
This is patently silly mee. Are you trying to tell us that your organization doesnt tell your flock not to do this or that or the other thing??

As for the rest, is anyone surprised that Catholic schools paint the Protestants in a bad light and Protestant schools paint the Catholics in a bad light?? Is anyone surprised that their would be biased history told on both sides??

Thomas,

I think you are correct to say that the reformation was a political action, a coup of sorts, replacing one corrupt group with another. It was very much a battle for wealth.

What I take issue with is this idea that people "liked" the taxes and tithes collected by the local branches of Rome incorporated. Or that they were fair or gave anything back to the community. Wealth collection for the Catholic Church, like any church, has always been a one way street. The Catholic Church is the biggest and most unaccountable wealth accumulating body in the world after the US government. It is richer in the US than the top 5 corporations combined. It is a take take take organisation that does almost nothing to help people who really need help. All the funds that are raised to do what little it does do are raised 'in addition' to the banked wealth it possesses by its rank and file.

I have avoided going into the wealth / corporate status of the CC because it is such a huge and complex task to do so. But perhaps it is time. By veiwing the history of the CC as a power/wealth ambitious corporation you get a real picture of what it is. And when you super-impose its 'message' onto that you begin to see what the CC really is, and that is anything but a 'holy institution'. I think such a subject deserves a thread of its own however. But here is a small taste of what is to come.

A clutch of paragraphs from THE VATICAN BILLIONS by Avro Manhattan:
"The Vatican has large investments with the Rothschilds of Britain, France and America, with the Hambros Bank, with the Credit Suisse in London and Zurich. In the United States it has large investments with the Morgan Bank, the Chase-Manhattan Bank, the First National Bank of New York, the Bankers Trust Company, and others. The Vatican has billions of shares in the most powerful international corporations such as Gulf Oil, Shell, General Motors, Bethlehem Steel, General Electric, International Business Machines, T.W.A., etc. At a conservative estimate, these amount to more than 500 million dollars in the U.S.A. alone.
"In a statement published in connection with a bond prospectus, the Boston archdiocese listed its assets at Six Hundred and Thirty-five Million ($635,891,004), which is 9.9 times its liabilities. This leaves a net worth of Five Hundred and Seventy-one million dollars ($571,704,953). It is not difficult to discover the truly astonishing wealth of the church, once we add the riches of the twenty-eight archdioceses and 122 dioceses of the U.S.A., some of which are even wealthier than that of Boston.
"Some idea of the real estate and other forms of wealth controlled by the Catholic church may be gathered by the remark of a member of the New York Catholic Conference, namely 'that his church probably ranks second only to the United States Government in total annual purchase.' Another statement, made by a nationally syndicated Catholic priest, perhaps is even more telling. 'The Catholic Church,' he said, 'must be the biggest corporation in the United States. We have a branch office in every neighborhood. Our assets and real estate holdings must exceed those of Standard Oil, A.T.&T., and U.S. Steel combined. And our roster of dues-paying members must be second only to the tax rolls of the United States Government.'

"The Catholic church, once all her assets have been put together, is the most formidable stockbroker in the world. The Vatican, independently of each successive pope, has been increasingly orientated towards the U.S. The Wall Street Journal said that the Vatican's financial deals in the U.S. alone were so big that very often it sold or bought gold in lots of a million or more dollars at one time.
"The Vatican's treasure of solid gold has been estimated by the United Nations World Magazine to amount to several billion dollars. A large bulk of this is stored in gold ingots with the U.S. Federal Reserve Bank, while banks in England and Switzerland hold the rest. But this is just a small portion of the wealth of the Vatican, which in the U.S. alone, is greater than that of the five wealthiest giant corporations of the country. When to that is added all the real estate, property, stocks and shares abroad, then the staggering accumulation of the wealth of the Catholic church becomes so formidable as to defy any rational assessment.
"The Catholic church is the biggest financial power, wealth accumulator and property owner in existence. She is a greater possessor of material riches than any other single institution, corporation, bank, giant trust, government or state of the whole globe. The pope, as the visible ruler of this immense amassment of wealth, is consequently the richest individual of the twentieth century. No one can realistically assess how much he is worth in terms of billions of dollars."

tao

Back