She had the courage to change

Did Mary make an offering for her sins?

When the days for purifying them according to the law of Moses came to the full, they brought him up to Jerusalem to present him to Jehovah, just as it is written in Jehovah’s law: ‘Every male opening a womb must be called holy to Jehovah.’" (Luke 2:22, 23)

compare Leviticus12;6,8.

"At the fulfilling of the days of her purification for a son or for a daughter she will bring a young ram in its first year for a burnt offering and a young pigeon or a turtledove for a sin offering to the entrance of the tent of meeting to the priest. But if she cannot afford enough for a sheep, she must then take two turtledoves or two young pigeons, one for a burnt offering and one for a sin offering, and the priest must make atonement for her, and she must be clean."—Leviticus 12:6, 8.

Was Mary a virgin when she conceived Jesus? Why was that important?

He [Joseph] had no intercourse with her until she gave birth to a son; and he called his name Jesus." (Matthew 1:25)

"Mary said to the angel: ‘How is this to be, since I am having no intercourse with a man?’" (Luke 1:34)

"Jehovah himself will give you men a sign: Look! The maiden herself will actually become pregnant, and she is giving birth to a son, and she will certainly call his name Immanuel." (Isaiah 7:14)

"We have as high priest, not one who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who has been tested in all respects like ourselves, but without sin."—Hebrews 4:15.

How did Mary become pregnant?

"The angel said to her: ‘Holy spirit will come upon you, and power of the Most High will overshadow you. For that reason also what is born will be called holy, God’s Son. . . . With God no declaration will be an impossibility.’"—Luke 1:35, 37.

How did Mary react to her unique circumstances?

"Mary said: ‘My soul magnifies Jehovah, and my spirit cannot keep from being overjoyed at God my Savior . . . The powerful One has done great deeds for me, and holy is his name.’"—Luke 1:46, 47, 49.

How did Mary show she was a concerned mother?

"Now when they saw him they were astounded, and his mother said to him: ‘Child, why did you treat us this way? Here your father and I in mental distress have been looking for you.’ But he said to them: ‘Why did you have to go looking for me? Did you not know that I must be in the house of my Father?’"—Luke 2:48, 49.

Did Mary later have other children?

"Is this not the carpenter’s son? Is not his mother called Mary, and his brothers James and Joseph and Simon and Judas? And his sisters, are they not all with us?" (Matthew 13:55, 56)

"He and his mother and brothers [Greek, a·del·phoi´] and his disciples [Greek, ma·the·tai´] went down to Capernaum, but they did not stay there many days."—John 2:12.

As Mary's knowledge of Gods purposes grew, however, she came to see that the traditions of her fathers no longer had Gods approval...

God withdrew his blessing from the religious system in which Mary had been raised Galatians 2;15,16

No, you are wrong:

"For the gifts and the call of God are irrevocable." Romans 11:29.
St Paul affirms the promises made to Israel remain forever.

It's good to learn what Scripture teaches, from those who understand what it teaches!

Thomas

Did Jesus view Mary as the "Mother of God"?

Jesus said to her: ‘What have I to do with you, woman? My hour has not yet come.’" "Jesus, seeing his mother and the disciple whom he loved standing by, said to his mother: ‘Woman, see! Your son!’" (John 2:4; 19:26) Jesus’ use of "woman" was not disrespectful according to the usage of the time.

But there is a much more rational, plausible explanation for her conception. I dont even need to say it, because deep down somewhere where the brain is honest with itself it is self evident, and irrevocable. Virgin birth after all was hardly a new 'claim of divinity' even at the time of Christ. At least half a dozen gods or prophets had already had such births bestowed on them. The whole idea is in itself one of the worst examples of the irrational nature of belief.

tao

How do we know that Jesus’
brothers and sisters were not really his cousins?

There are distinct Greek words for brother and cousin. "‘This is the carpenter the son of Mary and the brother [Greek, a·del·phos´] of James and Joseph and Judas and Simon, is it not? And his sisters [Greek, a·del·phai´] are here with us, are they not?’ So they began to stumble at him." (Mark 6:3)

"Do not call . . . your relatives [Greek, syg·ge·neis´]." (Luke 14:12)

"Mark the cousin [Greek, a·ne·psi·os´] of Barnabas . . ." (Colossians 4:10)

Did Mary view herself as the
mother of God"?

No Biblical text uses the expression "Mother of God."

Did Jesus give his mother any special adulation or veneration?

"A certain woman out of the crowd raised her voice and said to him: ‘Happy is the womb that carried you and the breasts that you sucked!’ But he said: ‘No, rather, Happy are those hearing the word of God and keeping it!’"—Luke 11:27, 28.

How did Mary view her role in Jehovah’s purposes?

Mary said: ‘My soul magnifies Jehovah . . . because he has looked upon the low position of his slave girl. For, look! from now on all generations will pronounce me happy.’"—Luke 1:46, 48.

Is Mary a mediatrix between God and man?

"For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, a man, Christ Jesus."—1 Timothy 2:5.

In how many of the Bible’s 66 books is Mary mentioned?

Five—Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, and Acts. She appears as "Mary" 19 times, as the "mother" of Jesus 24 times, and as "woman" twice.

Did the Christian writers elevate Mary in their books and letters?

Apart from the four Gospel writers, Mary is never mentioned—not even in the prologues of apostolic letters.

"Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus through God’s will . . . May you have undeserved kindness and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ." (2 Corinthians 1:1, 2)

"Simon Peter, a slave and apostle of Jesus Christ, . . . by the righteousness of our God and the Savior Jesus Christ."—2 Peter 1:1.

How many times is Mary named in the 21 letters written by Paul, Peter, James, John, and Jude?

Not once.

What was Mary’s hope as a follower of Jesus?

"You yourselves also as living stones are being built up a spiritual house for the purpose of a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ." (1 Peter 2:5)

"I saw, and, look! the Lamb standing upon the Mount Zion, and with him a hundred and forty-four thousand having his name and the name of his Father written on their foreheads. And they are singing as if a new song before the throne . . . , and no one was able to master that song but the hundred and forty-four thousand, who have been bought from the earth."—Revelation 14:1, 3.

is Mary the woman referred to at Genesis 3:15 and Revelation 12:3-6?

"‘Cry out joyfully, you barren woman that did not give birth! Become cheerful with a joyful outcry and cry shrilly, you that had no childbirth pains, for the sons of the desolated one are more numerous than the sons of the woman with a husbandly owner,’ Jehovah has said. ‘For your Grand Maker is your husbandly owner, Jehovah of armies being his name; and the Holy One of Israel is your Repurchaser. The God of the whole earth he will be called.’" (Isaiah 54:1, 5)

"The Jerusalem above is free, and she is our mother." (Galatians 4:26)

God’s symbolic woman, heavenly Zion, Jehovah’s heavenly organization, is compared to a wife and mother, and she is the "woman" of these texts.

not mary

Back