Why did God created Adam and Eve ?

Hi Thomas

We are part of God's creation. God wants to have a relationship with his children. Our life on earth is our opportunity to grow our spirit and our love. It takes two to have a relationship of love. God cannot experience love by himself.

God gave us free will because He wants to have a true relationship of love. Because of the fall we have to return to Him. His dominion is based on love. His essence and His motivation is love.

He does not change the principles under which He created.

What do you mean by "The fathers?"

If Adam and Eve had not fallen, there would have been no need for religions and no need for a Messiah. The first couple would have given birth to sinless children and then families, tribes, clans, nations would have expanded from there. There was no need for a second Adam to come.
Adam and Eve have a physical body and a spiritual body. After the fall our spiritual senses were pretty much lost. We became separated from God.

Adam and Eve did just what the Lord had intened for them to do. What you really think God who created us does not know what His creations will do before they even do it. If that were so then God would be a failure. We know He is not.

Sorry Adam and Eve have a spiritul body once again please where are you getting this from? I bet you can't show me one just one scripture that said Adam and Eve had a spiritul Body. maby a spirit because this is what gives us life. God breath life into us (spirit )(breath) strongs concordance.

Fyi God mad man spiritually weak. If not if we were spiritully strong why would we need God. God made man weak(spiritually).

That is why love was the motivation for God to create

God wanted to realise the trinity on earth between Him, Adam and Eve.

I like the example of the color purple, blue and red.
purple is blue + red. The 3 colors are one.

This is why Christianity says that the Holy spirit is the comforter, the feminine spirit. Jesus is the second Adam.

Where do you think "We have to love our enemy comes from".

God essence is love. He is obedient to the law of love

God's love is His free gift, He is not obliged to love anyone or anything. It is evident in Christ's words that if man chooses to not accept the love of God, then God is not obliged to make him accept it. The Parable of the Prodigal Son says that, and there's plenty of other evidence. If we believed that, we could get up to all manner of naughtiness and say: "Don't matter, God will forgive me."

I believe in 'hell' as a separation from God, and I believe the option of hell is one that is always there, for everyone ... It is my hope that hell is empty, and that everyone is saved, but it is not a condition I can put upon God, nor can I put it on my neighbour.
Dont we say God love the sinner but does not love the sin. His love is unconditional.

How do we help liberate someone in hell it since they do not have a physical body and cannot do good deeds anymore /

That is another other thread

Once again we have unscriptual truths. where oh where does the bible say hell is a separation from God Where??

Then you say it is your hope that everyone is saved Well they will be everyone will be saved.Matt: 18:11 for the Son of Man is come to Save that which was lost.
1Tim 2:4 for it is good and acceptable in the site of God our Saviour, who will have ALL men to be saved. and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.
1Tim 4:10 for therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, becaus we trust in the living God who is the Saviour of ALL men.

If you don't know hell in greek which is the original N.T. language is translated Sheol and hades which means grave or pit. it has nothing to do with being a place where one might spend eternity being torture.

Once again God the Saviour of all men can't save most men then what kind of god is he.

I have never, I believe, had a crossed word with you before but come on my man!! You cant be serious.

Well, Tao . . . you have a bad memory!:rolleyes:

We did have a "crossed word" before over the killing and eating of animals. You accused me of demeaning and belittling animals other than humans. I personally think it was a misunderstanding. To settle that score, I'll say that whatever conscience we have cannot ever be perfectly objective because it is based on our own emotional reaction to our own treatment of animals. Formulating objective moral standards on that isn't possible. The best you can do is go by how you feel.

It's a very anthropocentric view, but that's the thing, it's all based on our personal experience of our own actions. There are no moral absolutes except that which is derived from our own personal response to something we do. This discussion, from my POV is a similar issue.

My view on moral standards is that if you're going to set moral standards, you have to consider how you'd realistically apply them to the social, mental, cultural and emotional issues of the individual and group involved. The world and society has moral standards that I imagine, a lot of us don't question. I don't adopt any morals until I know can realistically absorb them into my frame of mind and mental framework. I speak my mind about these things and I try to be as honest about them as I can. We had a conflict before for this reason.

I had a disagreement/misunderstanding with greymare once about domestic violence. It was for the same reason.:rolleyes:

I think I'm having another one of those episodes . . . maybe it's just a phase.

OMG Salty!! What you been smoking dude!! Using star trek and inspector gadget to justify genocide!! ........ murder is murder and any book that calls for it is an outrage that should only be held up as an example of how not to behave.

I don't know if you misunderstood me there in my last post, but for me the question here is what you and I think this OT God is all about.

To explain what I meant with Star Trek and Inspector Gadget, I would say this. Very often when an individual or group is conducting war and engaging in conflicts there are two things that can guide one's conduct. One is ideology. The other is a code of honour that takes into consideration the personal dignity of everyone involved, and whether what one is doing is noble. An entity's code of honour serves as a restraint, as well as a way of deciding whether one's cause is right, despite cultural differences. A code of honour leads an individual or enemy to respect one's enemy or opponent. With a code of honour, there is a time and place for humility. You are never too proud to respect an opponent. You give him credit for doing business with you. There was a way of playing fair.

Conflicts between families, tribes and whole countries have been fought like this for centuries. It was about "playing fair." Japanese warlords in the Warring States period fought each other like that. The English nobles in the Wars of the Roses fought each other like that. Chinese families in Imperial China fighting family feuds probably fought like that too. True, they fought and killed each other, but they didn't lose their humanity. The people who fought in these conflicts were very sentimental and emotional people. The movie Braveheart I think is a good example of what I am saying. It was a very sentimental story with really sentimental people and I believe it is a good illustration of war back in those days.

Yes, to us it's all barbaric, but I have come to think that people didn't completely lose their humanity. It probably wasn't really as bloody as we think. People were not less human back then than we are now. I think when we really lost our humanity was in World War II with the mechanised warfare and systematic bombing of targets.

What I would say isn't noble and honourable is pursuing the cause of an ideology without a code of honour. Under such a mentality, a group or individual pursues the goal of an ideology as a means to an end. There is no respect for an opponent or enemy. The ideology is all that matters. You don't care about the people you're fighting. You only care about the goal. The relentless pursuit of one's ideology without a code of honour dehumanises your relationship with the enemy.

This was how people thought back then, with their sentimental thinking with war, before 19th century Western European civilisation brought a new way of thinking to the world, with the way it organised society, as well as war. Unlike the "lesser civilisations," the Western Europeans fought war with brutal, systematic efficiency. There was no room for sentimentality. It was all about cold, emotionless, calculative and objective rationality. It was all for the sake of promoting Western European civilisation, less for respect of the civilisations on which they imposed their values. According to the old way of thinking, I'm pretty sure it'd be thought of as war without honour.

The OT calls the God of the Israelites their "Lord," and it seems He even thought of Himself as a tribal God. He seemed to have little intention of actually changing the Middle-Eastern tribal ethics at the time and was merely content with immersing Himself in their way of fighting war. It seemed also like a feudal lord. It was a matter of loyalty.

In today's world we'd call it being barbaric, but that was the way the world worked back then. What happened back then with the Israelites was pretty normal. It didn't go beyond what any Middle-Eastern race would have done.

The important thing to me here is whether or not the OT God had a code of honour because that was the measure of the dignity of a human being, as well as a god/God back then. You may argue that He was no better than the people and civilisations that existed back then. No problem.

Relentless pursuit of ideology without a code of honour, without respect for the enemy, like that pursued by the Nazis, Soviets and Chinese Communist Party, or of imperialism and nationhood, like that of Western European imperialism, is something of which I wouldn't approve above all else.

I don't think the OT God back then was like that. From my understanding of what I have read, He just mingled with the people. He was a personal, sentimental God.

Now, having said that, back to what I was discussing:

I suppose it is only an extension of the biblical orders from god to commit genocide. Such a nice psychopath this abrahamic god.

The idea that it's "an extension of biblical orders from God" is the idea that the OT God relentlessly pursues ideology without a code of honour. In other words, what he would want today, is the same as what he'd want 2,000-3,000 years ago. Whatever He did all those centuries ago, He continues to do now despite the fact that the world today is so different from 2,000 years ago with the old Israel.

But that just isn't my concept of the OT God. If you want to talk about it being genocide, I'm saying I'm not arguing about the genocide. You are not getting an argument from me about the genocide part. It's not my interest here. If you do, you've got the wrong idea. I'm not talking about the righteousness or wrongness of the acts committed. I'm not interested in justifying anything. That is where I think you might misunderstand me. I'm talking about something else here. My interest here is this. What's the logic behind the OT God and what He does? There's always a story. How does Israel today compare with the old Israel?

Tribal Gods are limited in time and place. If they make war, they don't do it for long. Ideological Gods have a more persistent agenda. People who follow a tribal God forgive and forget. People who follow an ideological God will pick a fight and resume a conflict after centuries of peace all because, by definition and in principle, they have always been enemies. The enmity is timeless and impersonal. If the OT God was a tribal God and Israel is conducting an ideological war, then what it's doing isn't compatible with the tribal God of the OT.

The Book of Judges described a period in Israel's history where there was no king or political system. All you had were a bunch of judges, elders and local spiritual leaders. I suppose it's much like the Druids in Britain. The Book of Judges, is what I'd say OT religion was supposed to be like before Israel became an established kingdom with its own king. Wars were short-term, not long-term affairs. People didn't fight a war eternally. Once it was over, you went back home. It would have been nothing like the aggressive and belligerent Israel it is today.

The Abrahamic apologist can try to dress it any way they like, invoke metaphor and interpretation but murder is murder

I was re-reading your response, and I have to say, some of what I said before with the Inspector Gadget analogy is what caused the misunderstanding. At the time, I suppose I was still thinking things through.

What I meant to say was that Israel today can't really be compared to the old Israel because they aren't the same. Yes, of course, Israel did go through a number of stages. The stage I am talking about is the Israel you'd see from reading the Book of Judges. I say that because I believe that that was Israel at its best and it was where the "tribal God," the feudal lord I described in my previous post really shows.

In that period, there was no political system or political hierarchy, except for a bunch of local judges, elders and spiritual leaders acting as direct representatives of God. They were like oracles. They could be compared to the Druids of Britain. Israel wasn't a state. It was a community.

But Israel became institutionalised when it became a kingdom. As a modern, re-established state, it's the same concept. It stopped being a community and became a state.

Today's Jewish communities, spread across the world might be thought of as modern equivalents of the communities described in Judges.

If there was a reason why I invoked one of the Ten Commandments and the Inspector Gadget/Maxwell Smart analogy, it had to do with my idea that the "blasphemy" thing was a part of institutionalised religion, whereas idea of the "misuse of God's name for immoral and unjust purposes" was the proper way of seeing it. It was about people invoking God in court cases, legal disputes, business dealings, etc. for the sake of manipulating people and situations. It was the God who was concerned about justice, not legalisms like swearing.

The Inspector Gadget/Maxwell Smart analogy came from me seeing the God-as-a-swear-word idea as coming from the fundamentalists and legalists who had an institutional view of religion. It had to do with me reading the Good News version as well . . .

I decided to actually investigate and go back to that place in Exodus/Deuteronomy I read so long ago.

Do not use my name for evil purposes, for I, the Lord your God, will punish anyone who misuses my name. Exodus 20:7, Deuteronomy 5:11 (Good News Version)

You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God, for the Lord will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name. Exodus 20:7, Deuteronomy 5:11 (NIV)

Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain, for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain. Exodus 20:7, Deuteronomy 5:11 (.... some old translation!)

Since I've been reading mostly the Good News version, it's made me wonder how anyone could have this God-as-a-swear-word idea. He seemed more concerned about the justice/injustice of using it. I got this idea that he couldn't have cared less about swear words.

But that was until I actually looked at the second (NIV) translation, which is ambiguous compared to the Good News. Misuse could go a number of ways. What does one mean by misuse? The third one is where I am sure the God-as-a-swear-word idea came from, the "taketh his name in vain" thing.

It probably didn't help the concept I was proposing, but it just happened to pop in my mind. Having now looked at how there's at least three different versions (translations), it doesn't really help but I hope you understand what I mean. It's institutionalised religion vs. sentimental/personal religion. The Inspector Gadget/Maxwell Smart analogy is this idea of being a hero, calling people to task for using God-as-a-swear-word. It's the self-righteous notion of being a member of the religious moral police.

My real aim with this analogy was a way of saying that there was a difference between the old Israel and the new Israel of today. I admit, it wasn't a fully formed concept in my mind and came out as weird when I said it. The old Israel was the personal, sentimental version. The new Israel was the impersonal, institutionalised, legalistic version.

As I said, I think I'm having another one of those episodes . . .

The point I intended to address is what you said about Israel's actions today being the "extension of the biblical orders from god," and my intention was to argue otherwise, that no, based on the Israel I saw in the Book of Judges, the community-oriented Israel, I can't say that the modern, state-driven Israel is a projection of that. Based on that, I don't see it as an extension of past biblical orders.

The "extension of the biblical orders" implies an institutionalised, ideological god and it seems a far cry from the tribal/feudal God I see in the Book of Judges. While no, I shouldn't base my notion of Israel from just one part of the written tradition, I see it as the best that Israel could be. It's the "ideal," though not perfect, Israel. That Israel was full of problems, but it was better than today's Israel. It was not a problem with the system, because there was no system. It was an anarchist Israel with no regulation. Everybody did their own thing. Everyone was autonomous. You weren't a slave of anyone. You didn't follow anyone's orders. You were an individual.

That's the Israel I see as ideal.

Hi Salty,

Often my most rambling, lengthy posts are so because I have very little to say and cover it with volume rather than substance. Or because as I write I note the flaws in my own argument and bash on in the hope that I can cover them in a smokescreen of verbosity. Sometimes it works, sometimes it fails miserably.

Can I start by asking where and when this "ancient Israel" existed? For as far as I am aware despite the modern Israeli state pumping millions into the archaeological search no evidence has emerged to support that idea. Indeed the only communities that have been found in the archaeological record that do not eat pork are well into Egypt. Yet the old testament has its origins way to the East in the Mesopotamian basin where it is unambiguously derived from a hodge podge of stories drawn from polytheist tribal histories. And from a time when kings, who are ordinary men, took on the status and symbolism of gods.

Kings and rulers of every variety have down the ages been vain and paranoid megalomaniacs who have gone to extraordinary lengths to stamp hard on any dissenting voice. May I suggest that there is no god. That the stories we read are those of men and men alone. The paranoid and despotic butchers of any who would challenge their authority. So that when you read "Do not use my name for evil purposes, for I, the Lord your God, will punish anyone who misuses my name.", it refers to a tribal chief and not some Mr Big up in the clouds.

The reason there are so many translations of the bible is precisely because said rulers and religious institutions have variously over the centuries sought to manipulate it for their own purpose, to meld it to their particular needs. But they are always, without exception the works of man and the only living gods there has ever been are also only men. Men that enjoy power and will go to any lengths to keep it, including genocide.

So trying to pull meaningful apologetics from the the holy books, to shape the metaphors as though they have divine purpose and logic is an exercise only in self deception. Holy books are rule books written by kings to keep the peons in their place with a glorifying reverence for authority. I have little doubt had Hitler won the war Mein Campf would have joined the ranks of rubbish on the library shelves of divinity. The holy books of today are nothing but the ego-driven near facsimiles of types such as Hitler.

Tao, the subject of this post is "Why did God created Adam and Eve".

I would love it if you start your own post with your own subject instead of barging in somebody else post looking for an argument about things that are not part of the subject of the post.

It creates confusion and ruins it for everybody else

That is why love was the motivation for God to create
Agreed, on the basis we accept creation is God's free choice. He is not obliged to create, and nor is He nor His love any less if He does not. If He or it were less, and was dependent upon something else for its fulfilment, then God would not be God.

God wanted to realise the trinity on earth between Him, Adam and Eve.
Well that's your assumption, without foundation. I would say that everything is Trinity-shaped because the Trinity gives rise to material reality — but Adam and Eve are not the Trinity, nor part of it.

God essence is love. He is obedient to the law of love
God is true to Himself, not obedient to any exterior necessity.

Dont we say God love the sinner but does not love the sin. His love is unconditional.
The point is not what God loves, but what we love — if we love sin, then we do not love God, so we make the decision, not God. His love is unconditional, but we reject it.

How do we help liberate someone in hell it since they do not have a physical body and cannot do good deeds anymore
Prayer. We can't, only God can.

Thomas

Agreed, on the basis we accept creation is God's free choice. He is not obliged to create, and nor is He nor His love any less if He does not. If He or it were less, and was dependent upon something else for its fulfilment, then God would not be God.

God did create and He wants us to be co-creators with Him.

Well that's your assumption, without foundation. I would say that everything is Trinity-shaped because the Trinity gives rise to material reality — but Adam and Eve are not the Trinity, nor part of it.

The trinity on earth has not been established. It is still a spiritual trinity. If Adam and Eve had not fallen that trinity would have been established on earth.

The Holy Spirit is the feminine spirit of Eve. Jesus is the masculine spirit of Adam (second Adam). Both are within God. it makes so much sense to me.

God is true to Himself, not obedient to any exterior necessity.

I agree. God follow His own principles otherwise they would not be absolute and unchanging

Prayer. We can't, only God can.

Payers is important, actions too. I believe that we are carrying the sins and blessings of our ancestral lineage. If we overcome where they fell, they can receive the benefits from our actions and it starts a process of liberation for them.

I would love it if you start your own post with your own subject instead of barging in somebody else post looking for an argument about things that are not part of the subject of the post.

Yeh, I should have known better than to actually try to get to the truth of the matter. You want a debate on the idiotic metaphor of Christian theology rather than look at the roots of the story in polytheistic Mesopotamia.

As for the thread you do not own it and as a newby here I suggest you get used to threads taking their own turns. There is a place where derailment is less likely where you are free to stick to scriptual interpretation only. But here I am permitted to post pertinent FACTS regardless of what you like.

Hi Sol

The trinity on earth has not been established. It is still a spiritual trinity

It depends on the force that unites the male and female principles. If it is the Son, then the male female principles are united from a higher level of being and the beginnings of consciousness for us. If the male/female principles are united by strictly earthly influences then the trinity reflects the laws of nature as is normal for all facets of organic life on earth.

Payers is important, actions too. I believe that we are carrying the sins and blessings of our ancestral lineage. If we overcome where they fell, they can receive the benefits from our actions and it starts a process of liberation for them.

I've often wondered about this biblical idea concerning sins of the father. The obvious question is what does my life have to do with my grandfather's? Then on the other hand, if all life is connected in a continuum, how could it not? This appears as one of Simone's blessed "contradictions" that can become doorways to understanding. And if life is connected, our conscious actions could have an influence on mechanical reactions of what appears to be the past but is a past that still lives if there is anything to the idea of eternal recurrence.

I remember watching a Star Trek episode on this where the crew had to send a message from the future to their past so a decision could be changed.

My gut feeling is that conscious actions can affect what we call the past since it exists as a continuum but I wouldn't speak of it too often where people know you or you'll be visited by men in white coats dedicated to making you "normal.":)

Hi Nick
It depends on the force that unites the male and female principles. If it is the Son, then the male female principles are united from a higher level of being and the beginnings of consciousness for us. If the male/female principles are united by strictly earthly influences then the trinity reflects the laws of nature as is normal for all facets of organic life on earth.

I am not sure, I understand what you are saying but in the trinity God is the universal prime force, the source of energy. God was not able to bless Adam and Eve in marriage and was not present in their union. Unfortunately Satan was. (As Jesus said we are from our father,the devil).[/quote]

I've often wondered about this biblical idea concerning sins of the father. The obvious question is what does my life have to do with my grandfather's? Then on the other hand, if all life is connected in a continuum, how could it not? This appears as one of Simone's blessed "contradictions" that can become doorways to understanding. And if life is connected, our conscious actions could have an influence on mechanical reactions of what appears to be the past but is a past that still lives if there is anything to the idea of eternal recurrence.

The grandson is in the grandfather and the grandfather is in the grandson. We can see it physically, externally and even in terms of family ilnesses. It is the same spiritually. We even use the words ancestral sins. In the east the respect and worshiping of ancestors is very common. In the west we do not think so much that way [/quote]

I remember watching a Star Trek episode on this where the crew had to send a message from the future to their past so a decision could be changed.
My gut feeling is that conscious actions can affect what we call the past since it exists as a continuum but I wouldn't speak of it too often where people know you or you'll be visited by men in white coats dedicated to making you "normal.":)

That's funny.

The best way to experience ancestral presence around you is to see a good medium if you can find one. It can be quite eye opening.

Sorry about that. I usually get involved in these "side topics" because they usually bear quite a bit of relevance to the central issue, even though it's not the central issue itself.

This thread being about Adam and Eve and "the Fall," the discussion started over me saying we were doing quite well, and it being argued that Israel was one of the world's nagging problems. (So therefore, no)

We just happened to start arguing over whether the Israel of today was really the same as that in the OT, but I kind of screwed up my initial post.

Yeh, I should have known better than to actually try to get to the truth of the matter. You want a debate on the idiotic metaphor of Christian theology rather than look at the roots of the story in polytheistic Mesopotamia.

I guess we're a bunch of nerds . . .

As for the thread you do not own it and as a newby here I suggest you get used to threads taking their own turns. There is a place where derailment is less likely where you are free to stick to scriptual interpretation only. But here I am permitted to post pertinent FACTS regardless of what you like.

Tao, I for one would say you're welcome here. I actually think the quality of discussion would decline without posts like your's. I actually find it pretty boring without those kinds of posts. It brings balance to the Force.:rolleyes:

Just as long as you don't go too far with rhetoric that opposes the collective psyche of people here . . . but you're not doing that right now anyway.

I've sent you a PM.

Hi Salty and thanks for your encouragement. Though I am a bit saddened that you chose to reply to my post in PM rather in open debate where it belongs. Sol has no right to dictate what should be posted here and as a newby it is a lesson he will have to learn that debate here will not be governed by what he wants to hear. I appreciate you put your reply in PM because you wished to demonstrate respect but to my mind you only encourage what was his bad behaviour. The debate that was initiated between us was a valid discussion and his desire to thwart it was the only disrespect to be seen. So I re-post it here where it belongs.

Hi Tao,

I decided to do this via a PM as I think it might have been getting off topic.

I'm not much interested in bashing or picking fights. Being at peace with other members for me is very important. Yeah I do joke and get sarcastic at times, but I'm just being friendly. I suppose that's my code of honour, though I don't really seek to have much honour anyhow. I don't pick flaws in what people say, so I'll have you know I'm not out to get you. I'm pretty sure if I tried you'd sink my battleships faster than I can sink your's. Let's just say . . . I play fair (or at least try).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tao_Equus
Sometimes it works, sometimes it fails miserably.

Are you serious about that? Do you really do that? You . . . evil person . . .:eek:

I think you misunderstood me here. Though I referred to myself I was actually talking about the two posts that you made that seemed to me to ramble without saying much at all. That said I am not here to pick fights or disrespect either but I do enjoy a fully engaged heated debate and do not mind giving or receiving a bit of a bashing along the way. I have never for a moment felt you do anything other than remain cal and collected in your debates, which is probably the reason we do not engage much. I think I prefer to bite people who bite back. As for fairness, my posts opening paragraph was honest. I do sometimes ramble, searching for a way to say what I want to say and sometimes I find that while I write I come across contradictions in what I say that I had not seen before. I see it as proof that I am doing here the thing I value above all else, I am learning. The day I feel I am not is the day you will find my final post here.

Quote:
Can I start by asking where and when this "ancient Israel" existed? For as far as I am aware despite the modern Israeli state pumping millions into the archaeological search no evidence has emerged to support that idea.

Yet the old testament has its origins way to the East in the Mesopotamian basin where it is unambiguously derived from a hodge podge of stories drawn from polytheist tribal histories. And from a time when kings, who are ordinary men, took on the status and symbolism of gods.

Truth or myth, it's a piece of literature in my possession and the question is what I'm going to do with it. If it's a myth and doesn't exist, then it wouldn't be a religion and maybe it'd be like Harry Potter, Narnia, Neverland or some other legendary fantasy land. It'd be a bit of recreation.

I don't project my beliefs into wider society. I keep it to myself, my family and the church.

I don't get into the archaeology, but what I can say is that I've read quite a bit of the political and military history of Europe and Asia, the wars, battles and power struggles, different governments and political systems, from the Greek and Roman Empires to the 20th century. As a teenager I used to read about Japanese warriors and warlords. I did do some history in secondary school, but most of what I know is due to my own probing. It's been a bit of an adventure . . .

It helps with the imagination when thinking of the accounts in the OT.

I've watched Simon Schama's History of Britain, which gives an overview of British/English history and it helped me to learn the order of the English monarchs from Henry II from Anne (with maybe only one or two missing). It's by associative memory of remembering what they did.

I tend to see Christianity more in terms of the social and political organisation of its adherents, rather than dogma and doctrine, as a result learning all this history.

Quote:
Kings and rulers of every variety have down the ages been vain and paranoid megalomaniacs who have gone to extraordinary lengths to stamp hard on any dissenting voice. May I suggest that there is no god. That the stories we read are those of men and men alone. The paranoid and despotic butchers of any who would challenge their authority. So that when you read "Do not use my name for evil purposes, for I, the Lord your God, will punish anyone who misuses my name.", it refers to a tribal chief and not some Mr Big up in the clouds.

Well, I just read the literature, treat it the same way as the rest of my co-religionists, but with some healthy skepticism. The thing is, I don't think the same way as some of my co-religionists, particularly with Christianity's role in society. I'm a bit of an anarchist, so I prefer to keep my Christianity private rather than projecting it out into wider society.

Think of me as a way of balancing out the collective Christian psyche. It's like Yin and Yang. Put another way, it's to bring balance to the Force. It's to protect people from Darth Vader!

Quote:
But they are always, without exception the works of man and the only living gods there has ever been are also only men. Men that enjoy power and will go to any lengths to keep it, including genocide.

Well, I read it and contemplate the legend of what it could be. The issue I'd say for us is what it means today. Because people treat it as a religion (not recreation), I have to treat it as a religion too and I have to think noble things about it too so as not to be disrespectful. I just have my own way of doing it.

The reason why I'm able to do this without getting into trouble is because I don't attend a fundamentalist congregation. The people there are like me. They're not pushy.

Am I a true believer? I can't say. That's a difficult question . . .

In the meantime, I live a normal life, at least as far as I know. The only thing that is important that I think I lack is the experience of not believing in God.

I appreciate the suggestion that there is no God. Actually I expected more criticism from you, but this is good. We're not judging each other for what we've said or believed. No loud words, just discussion.

Quote:
So trying to pull meaningful apologetics from the the holy books, to shape the metaphors as though they have divine purpose and logic is an exercise only in self deception. Holy books are rule books written by kings to keep the peons in their place with a glorifying reverence for authority.

Ok, maybe I committed one of the great sins of performing an exercise in apologetics, but this is just a way of respecting what others regard as a religion (of which I'm a participant). But apart from talking about it on an interfaith site, I don't project it out into wider society. I'm not pursuing any political agenda to change the fabric of society and I live a normal life, so I think I can safely assume I'm not persecuting or oppressing anyone with what I do.

I did say the OT God was a tribal God and that's already a compromise position. Jews claim a "particular relationship" with God. Jesus said, "Give to Caesar what is Caesar's, give to God's what is God's." He also said, "My kingdom is not of this world." I don't feel that thinking of him as a tribal God compromises the concept. The OT God doesn't want to claim the whole world, just what belongs to him.

The genocide thing is always going to appear in these discussions. People tend to not want to discuss this aspect of Christianity because they have to talk about the violence.

Yet people will talk about other genocides without a problem. The history books will record and discuss it. Every genocide has a story behind it. They were never just genocides. There was some politics behind it. It was genocide nonetheless, but genocide with a story behind it. Talking about the story doesn't mean one is justifying genocide. You're just talking about the story behind it.

If what Israel did was a genocide, I think people have made their point. With the tribal God concept I'm just saying that maybe this God wasn't that big. But even if he was big, he only wanted a small piece of the world. It's not to lessen the magnitude of what happened, just the entity involved in it.

A smaller God makes for a smaller religion.

The bible is a mythical story, there is no other way to describe it. It is far far closer to Harry Potter than Origin of Species. Everything that I know about in the Old Testament is the regurgitated myths of the ancient civilisations of polytheistic Mesopotamia which in turn have much of their origin in the Vedic histories of India. It is not even second hand. And to look for "truths" that are relevant today in such ancient myths is pure philosophy. As soon as you start calling them divine truth however they become dangerous and every tyrant and his brother will use them to their advantage. Keeping them alive outseide the label of philosophy is only playing into the hands of those that would use and abuse them again.

Perhaps I should ask a "good medium" to gaze into their crystal ball to find out who that will be....and pinch their bible :p

Tao

The bible is a mythical story, there is no other way to describe it. It is far far closer to Harry Potter than Origin of Species. Everything that I know about in the Old Testament is the regurgitated myths of the ancient civilisations of polytheistic Mesopotamia which in turn have much of their origin in the Vedic histories of India. It is not even second hand. And to look for "truths" that are relevant today in such ancient myths is pure philosophy. As soon as you start calling them divine truth however they become dangerous and every tyrant and his brother will use them to their advantage. Keeping them alive outseide the label of philosophy is only playing into the hands of those that would use and abuse them again.

"The Bible: a book that either reads us or is worthless." Chazal

You keep trying to read the Bible but don't let it read you. How can you expect to understand anything that way?

God knew exactly what Adam and Eve would do in the Garden on that day.
OK. But that does not mean they did not disobey His commandment, did it? Or are you suggesting God, knowing what they would do, which was what He secretly wanted, lied to them?

Thomas

OK. But that does not mean they did not disobey His commandment, did it? Or are you suggesting God, knowing what they would do, which was what He secretly wanted, lied to them?

Thomas
Just so we can be on the same page should we raise our hands as to who believes it is a metaphor, a myth, a story we are discussing here and who believes there was an actual Adam created from dirt, Eve created from the rib, and a literal snake with legs talked her into it?

Hi Wil —
Just so we can be on the same page should we raise our hands as to who believes it is a metaphor, a myth, a story we are discussing here and who believes there was an actual Adam created from dirt, Eve created from the rib, and a literal snake with legs talked her into it?
An often-overlooked question.

The Catholic position is that the story is a myth.

Myth functions as an extended metaphor, it 'carries over' or 'transfers' a message or meaning from one domain to another. In this instance, it conveys a Mystery — or at least a metaphysical doctrine — in a manner that can be (more-)easily be understood.

A myth can function at many levels, mystical, spiritual, cosmological, social, educational ... according to its object. The decision in this instance is whether there is any meaningful content to the myth, or not: Whether God, as its principle object, is real or not, and whether suffering, its subject, is real or not, and whether there is any ontological coincidence of the two.

Modern existential religious interpretation tends to determine the possibility of the Bible according to limitations imposed by a particular philosophy. As a result, according to the presuppositions insisted upon in this philosophical hermeneutic, the religious message (its mystical and spiritual content) of the Bible is emptied of any objective reality (by means of an excessive "demythologization") and tends to be reduced to an anthropological message only (existentialism).

an existential philosophy becomes inverted — it becomes its own object by which everything else is understood, rather than an instrument for understanding an external object: in this case Scripture.

An authentic philosophical reading of Scripture involves in the first place a reading of the text according to its own hermeneutic, rather than bringing an alien and perhaps inadequate hermeneutic to the text.

Thomas

Back