Have you changed your opinion?

Have you changed your opinion and how?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Vajradhara

One of Many
Reaction score
Namaste all,

i'm curious about something and i've made a nifty little poll :)

please feel free to elaborate if one of the options isn't apropos.

the question is as the title.. have you changed your opinion, your point of view, your mind, regarding any subject at all after a discussion with someone on this forum? i.e. you now have a view contrary or different than the one you previously held regarding the same subject.

it can be about anything which has been discussed here, religious boards and lounge and everything else.

i'll go first.

i have changed my views on several significant topics since i've joined CR...er... Interfaith ;) some of them have changed to a negative view! though the remainder have changed in positive manner.

as a broadly themed thing, i've come to have a more negative view of the monotheistic religions/faiths in general during my discussions with members here whereas i've changed several of my incorrect views about particulars of those religions teachings in a positive manner.

i've gained a more broad understanding of differing ethnic and cultural groups due to the international nature of the forum and the often strong emotions/feelings which some of the subjects engender.

metta,

~v

I don't honestly see how it is possible for someone to say they haven't changed at all.. People change all the time... And speaking with another has to effect/educate/whatnot you. Like it doesn't have to be that you've gone from negative to pos or vice versa or neutral to one of the other "states" but you still learn and to a degree change.

I don't honestly see how it is possible for someone to say they haven't changed at all.. People change all the time... And speaking with another has to effect/educate/whatnot you. Like it doesn't have to be that you've gone from negative to pos or vice versa or neutral to one of the other "states" but you still learn and to a degree change.

well dude... I checked the last 'no-change' option... wait...

now that I think about it... my opinion about some stuff has changed!

.............................crap...

See, this is why I would never get a tattoo...

Same here lol ! :D

When I began posting I had already kicking and screaming come to agreement with Jesus and Socrates that the world rejects the "light." As unpleasant as it is to admit, it is what it is. Nothing I've read here or experienced IRL , not even the finest platitudes, serves to change it. It is neither good nor bad but just the human condition so "positive" and negative" cannot apply here.

I am always changing. My perspective is always changing but this change is now more often considered in the higher context of my human condition in contrast with its potential.

Both Christians and Buddhists see this as the value of "detachment." So regardless of the growls, it may not be so bad after all. :)

Some thoughts have been cemented, some altered.

First I came thinking that everyone was where they need to be, in their religion, social perspectives etc. That we each gravitate to the place we can learn the most from.

Despite this I didn't agree with fudamentals and litteralists, I had my prejudice and intolerance buttons exposed.

Thru discussions with folks here I've gained the utmost respect for those bible thumpers and koran thumpers. We don't agree, but I don't live in their shoes, I haven't had their life experiences, but I know they are ever so comfortable with their beliefs, and I am too.

I still have issues with extremists...

as a broadly themed thing, i've come to have a more negative view of the monotheistic religions/faiths in general during my discussions with members here whereas i've changed several of my incorrect views about particulars of those religions teachings in a positive manner.

i've gained a more broad understanding of differing ethnic and cultural groups due to the international nature of the forum and the often strong emotions/feelings which some of the subjects engender.

metta,

~v

as for ethnic I am neutral and not persuaded either way.

ditto on the negative view of religion, especially the hebrew religions. those particular religions create negativity all across the board and it does not matter what place it goes. I actually have an extreme negative view of religion which this forum along with two other christian religion forums helped to create and my view on that gets even more negative every time I visit this place. I found no difference between this religion forum or any other relgion forum I have viewed in the past. You could ban me permanently today & I would not miss it. Though I might miss a handful of people that I like to leave a good word to from time to time.

In general, most religion & politics for sale create negativity & unrest rather than peace. I found these kinds of forums to be the majority of people who get charged to argue about anything and everything futal. Bickering non stopped are just the way some people are.

Where it does not really give a complete and honest reflection of everyone who might visit here. There may be some people who have beliefs where you might find some similiar beliefs in religion but reject the religions hierarchy, dogma and institutions, then keep a safe distance from those people.

Sections like science and philosophy are ok.

Very nicely done, Vajradhara.

Namaste all,

thank you for the thoughtful replies everyone.

i'm curious to see the final poll results once it closes..

metta,

~v

Since joining, my view of religion in general has become more negative. Not sure how much influence the forum has had, especially since I'm not a very active member.

some things are more negative and some are more positive and some have stayed the same.. I dont know how to vote lol I dont think Ive become more tolerant because my faith doesnt allow for religious tolerance per se but it does allow for love for people of differing religions.

Whats stayed the same is that Im convinced that time is short and that everyone needs Jesus Christ as their Lord.

Whats changed for the positive is that Ive learned that the Holy Spirit uses any avenue to bring people to a saving grace through Jesus and its not just the formula that He used for me. Not to mention the people that Ive met that I consider my friends and these of differing faiths. :)

Whats changed for the negative is the hurt I have experienced at the in your face hatred down to a mild disrespect or disregard for my faith my God and my Bible and my feelings about these 3.

I go through changes every day although not so much from this Forum.

I think when I've done research into topics is the area where my views on various subjects has altered..

The Forum is a good place and opportunity though to have dialogue and learn from others..

- Art:)

No, i am still making known the GOODNEWS matthew 24;14:)

and as the bible says , He that has endured to the end is the one that will be saved matthew 24;13

lol. well if you did one day maybe you could learn to look back and laugh at it ;)

Vajradhara my dear, many regrets toward not knowing you to a more splendid degree. It is not toward the eastern or newer religions that I deprecate. I deliver considerable thought and kindness to the few darlings who were considerate and generous to me upon my arrival and brief visit here last fall.

Such scrutiny here did advance my opinion of religion toward the descending fragment. Including the tumultuous remarks from those who cannot handle any criticism, lessening the primary element of the forum owner, by silencing my voice in ignoring a valid complaint.

Observers also have opinions!!!

Catholicism was detrimental to my childhood. My experience living near Jews and around the culture has often been intensely distressing. While I may primarily observe this square in the bygone, it did confirm what I have previously known and experienced while the cognitive content of the square itself reconfirmed with deep exacerbation.

What utter irony that a survey is created to reveal two experiences simultaneously including the totality of all things possessing actuality. From the votes and voters comments where objective meets subjective, I also add mine. Both religion and this public square could indeed use a makeover.

My only objection to this poll is that you do not have a 'neutral' or 'indifferent' selection for the questions.

Nonetheless, I have had mostly postive experiences here in the forum. I am grateful to have learned much from the people here. It has opened my mind and heart to being a bit more tolerant in my own Christian perspective. I am less dogmatic and fundamental, though that doesn't exclude my belief that Christ is the way. It's just that I believe that God is working that concept that through other faith paradigms beside my own in ways I never considered before. I believe that a true seeker of God will find Him, regardless of the religion he/she is in, as long as there is sincerity in heart and a desire to follow the best that their knowledge of Him allows.

Some members (such as Muslimwoman) have helped me shed some negative prejudices about Islam and the Arabic culture (to be sure, there are other posters who have done nothing but reinforce the prejudices).

I cannot vote because not one answer is correct for me.
I don't know about opinions, but my view changes all the time, connected to experience. I am on this forum to read others' experiences. Awesome, sometimes. Sometimes or, unfortunately, quite often, people have no direct experiences and all what they write about is intellectual understanding. Of course, I also write intellectual understanding, but if it is supported by our life itself, it is deeper.

Back