Reform

Status
Not open for further replies.
To keep it short, miracles like the men in the fiery furnace of Daniel are not what I meant. I meant the desire of personal miracles is like blind love. Desiring these doesn't enlighten and substitutes for good judgment, so its a double injury.

Dream,

It's a very natural, very human thing to pray for miracles, and the tendency is by no means confined to Christians. People of every religion do it, and sometimes even people of no religion have been known to do it in very extreme situations. You know, "there are no atheists in foxholes."

There are also those known for their ability to heal by the laying-on of hands, and sometimes it really appears to result in a spontaneous remission. After my husband was diagnosed with the illness that ultimately killed him, I prayed for a miracle MANY times! At one point, I even went so far as to send a "quivtl" to the Lubavicher rebbe who was still alive at the time. That's a letter requesting his prayers of intercession, because of his reputation for saintliness. It's the same word used for the notes people put between the stones of the Western Wall of the Temple--the prayers for fertility and so on, just like in the old days. It's a very natural and human thing to do in times of great need.

Okay, obviously my prayers for a miraculous healing for my husband were not granted. I guess a part of me always knew they would not be, or if they were it would be something extraordinary, something outside the natural order of things. I believe in the possibility of such things, but I'm not going to hate God or stop believing in God if no miracle is forthcoming. I think you understand that by "believing in God" I don't mean the same thing as your average theist, but it's close enough that I can use the same language, just to keep things simple.

In Christianese, it is the biggest demon gate you could possibly leave standing open. Until that door is closed, nobody can tell down from up. Lies appear to be truth and vice-versa. Demons are embraced while angels are shot-on-site.

You seem to be saying that in Christianity, the belief in miracles and the need for miracles as a confirming sign of one's "faith" usurped all other considerations, and took on a central importance it doesn't have in other religions. That it took on such importance that it eclipsed the moral and ethical values of that religion. Is that what you're saying?

If so, I couldn't agree with you more! I see that as the great weakness of Christianity, especially the "born-again" fundamentalist variety. However, I've always put it down to the general belief in salvation by faith, rather than the expectation of miracles per se. In Judaism we have no such belief, and you have NO idea how grateful I am for that!!! Salvation (whatever THAT might be) is by works alone, to use the Christian terminology. We earn our place in the world to come by keeping the commandments, and above all the commandment to "love thy neighbor as thyself."

The concept of salvation by works is a controversial one in Christianity but a "given" in Judaism. "Keeping the commandments" means one thing to an Orthodox Jew and has a somewhat different meaning to a Reform Jew, but however we understand it we all agree on its central importance. Once again, I'm very grateful I was raised that way, and despite my syncretism I raised my children the same way.

B'shalom,
Linda

Dream,

I just decided to repost this last exchange of notes in the "Abrahamic Religions" section of the forum so that we can all discuss it. It seems like a valid and important interfaith issue, especially between Jews and Christians.

--Linda

Dream,

I just decided to repost this last exchange of notes in the "Abrahamic Religions" section of the forum so that we can all discuss it. It seems like a valid and important interfaith issue, especially between Jews and Christians.

--Linda
That's ok with me.

Raksha said:
What that tells me is that you are using the standard traditionalist tactic, of making the burden of proof impossibly high for your opponent and conveniently low for your own position.
and you're not doing the same thing, making out that the truth of your position is self-evident?

In other words, you are applying a double standard here. You can't expect that to be convincing to someone who doesn't share your reverence for the traditional sources, and who is in fact highly suspicious of them in certain areas.
then you fail to see what i am doing. i am not trying to convert you to my point of view, but merely to explain to you how i come to hold it and do so with integrity and without intellectual dishonesty, both of which you continually impugn in connection with traditionalist positions. in other words, the only thing i wish to convince you of is that my position makes sense to me and is logically consistent and rational based on the axioms i espouse as well as being integrated with my larger worldview and, consequently deserving of less contempt than you customarily display.

You also say there has to be texual evidence of patriarchal censorship and/or rewriting before you are willing to concede my point that goddess worship was not only practiced but accepted and considered perfectly normal, valid and proper right through the First Temple and probably well into the Second Temple period also.
NO. there has to be textual evidence that, in this SPECIFIC CASE, your interpretation of the circumstantial evidence concerned is correct - i am perfectly entitled to demand "exceptional proof" for what is in my view an "exceptional claim". the point about goddess worship being practiced, accepted and normal is not that this was not the case, but that it was practiced, accepted and normal from the point of view of the Tanakh, which explicitly states that 'the land was full of idolatry' which corrupted the biblical israelites away from the sinaitic Revelation and the Torah at the time - and of this there is no evidence other than your assertion that the circumstantial evidence relates to this specific case. in other words, we already know that for the most part, the biblical israelites were a bunch of backsliding, bloodthirsty, idolatrous thugs, because *the Tanakh itself says so*. your only way out of this is to assert the Big Patriarchal Cover-Up, which, of course, you already do, so your position is perfectly consistent - i just don't happen to agree with it because i don't hold the same assumptions.

I believe that the only people who strenuously objected were the Babylonian exile community, both during and after the Babylonian exile.
for that to be true, the *entire* prophetic literature would have to date from this time and not even the most extreme bilical critics, as far as i am aware, holds this to be the case.

I believe that the only people who strenuously objected were the Babylonian exile community, both during and after the Babylonian exile. But they were a highly influential community both in terms of education and social position, so their view was the the one that prevailed and eventually became "normative" or mainstream Judaism. My inadequate Jewish education is showing here--were they the tanaim, the scribes? Is that the word I'm looking for? Please correct me if I'm wrong.
the phrase you're looking for is the "men of the great assembly" as per the book of ezra. the "tannaim" were the sages of the mishnah. if you look at the first chapter of pirkei avot in the Mishnah, it details the chain of tradition from sinai to the tannaitic period and there you will find everything you require to substantiate your belief in the cover-up - if that is what you seek to do. that is the chain of authority where trust-based positions are derived from.

Anyway, I find that the more I learn, the more I don't trust them.
what a surprise.

I am beginning to believe that Ezra and Nehemiah and their circle were what I would call Jewish fundamentalist (or the equivalent), and I absolutely DON'T trust that type because they are shameless revisionists. These are NOT the people I want doing the selecting and editing of texts EVER, because they select on the basis of what they believe is good for the common people, not on the basis of what may have normative and acceptable up to that point.
i respectfully submit that everybody in judaism prior to the C18th would be, by your standards, a "fundamentalist". and, if you could find anyone that agreed with your positions on the Big Beardy Patriarchal Cover-Up, they too would be doing so from a doctrinaire and therefore "fundamentalist" position. what you are doing is no different from anyone else who posits a lost "golden age" before the "rot set in" and "they" "corrupted" the original pristine condition. i've heard it from the fundamentalists in my corner talking about the "decline of the generations", i've heard it from muslims talking about the first companions of muhammad, i've heard it from wiccans talking about ancient goddess worship. all it is is blaming a "them" for screwing up the system - is it any surprise that it quickly gets very shrill? in such a situation, any gainsaying of something which is So Obviously True is bound to be automatically dismissed as "defensive".

In my never-humble opinion, that is simply unforgivable. It's paternalistic and condescending and above all, it's dishonest.
unfortunately, people in bygone ages did not sit around worrying about whether people in the C21st were going to find them condescending or not. as for "dishonesty", if you wanted to make that kind of accusation you would have to show me where the cover-up was taking place. i am aware that it is far more satisfying for you to be able to claim a cover-up, just as it is far more satisfying for people to claim that the moon landings were a conspiracy than to cope with the probably far less exciting reality.

For example: Why wasn't the book of Enoch included in the canon? We know from the number of copies that have been found that it was enormously popular and influential during the Hellenistic period and maybe before (I'm not sure how old it is). And yet it's an apocryphal book and not part of the Tanakh. WHY NOT??? Apparently somebody thought it was "dangerous for the masses," although I'm not really sure why.
ok, firstly how would you know what "somebody thought" if you weren't privy to the discussions? as it happens, to my knowledge at least one of the canonical discussions *was* recorded - the one in which rabbi akiba convinces some doubters that the "song of songs" should be included, because it is the "holy of holies", you know, the same phrase used of the very innermost sanctum of the Temple. isn't it a bit difficult to argue that there's been a systematic cover-up if the discussion is part of the public record? as for the number of copies being important, i dare say that a substantial number of copies of the tv guide are in circulation, will future scholarship thus conclude that they are as significant as, say, the contract for licencing parts of the frequency spectrum for 3g services? why is "bel and the dragon", another part of the jewish apocrypha, not included in the canon? could it be that the sages thought that the masses would not need to know how to rid themselves of the monster that is scourging the land using only cake? two books of maccabees are in the apocrypha too, should we conclude that the story of that rebellion has been expunged from history too?

In other words, for me the question is not why YOU shouldn't trust the traditional sources and give them more weight than the archaeological record. It's why should I trust them when I thoroughly distrust the paternalistic motives of the tanaim?
i'm not saying you should. what i'm saying is that given that you think pretty much everyone in jewish history is a paternalistic liar or just plain fictional i don't really know why you're so keen to be a part of a club whose rules you despise, whose members you detest and whose history, culture and literature you consider to be the product of systematic falsification. in other words, whatever it is you seek to identify with, it isn't with anything that is particularly recognisable as jewish in any way that anyone mainstream can identify, or indeed anything that if it existed at all, has existed in the last 2-3 millennia. in other words, although i 100% support your right to believe whatever the hell you want and live as you choose, i'm not entirely sure i see the point other than that you think it gives you carte blanche to accuse me of being guilty of every sort of "ism" in the Political Correctness Lexicon Of Shame.

Actually, there IS textual evidence of patriarchal censorship and/or rewriting in the Tanakh. As Raphael Patai and others have pointed out, that evidence is most apparent in the "slippages," i.e. the places where the censorship was incomplete or badly handled, in the places where a text simply does not make any sense when an "orthodox" interpretation or translation is applied, but *does* make sense when interpreted or translated in a non-traditional way. I think you probably know what I'm talking about better than I do.
i hope so. and, if you read the discussions i had with bob_x (with whom i have, i believe, come to a place of mutual respect and value) you will note that questions about the authorship and provenance of various bits of Tanakh are not in fact especially controversial to traditionalists - at least as regards NaKh. Torah, on the other hand, is a different matter entirely. my vehemence about the documentary hypothesis notwithstanding, i do not dismiss the tools that biblical criticism brings to us out of hand.

am seriously a channeler, and sometimes it happens spontaneously when I'm in the middle of posting a note on a discussion board. That was only very light channeling, just enough to make my writing a flow a little more easily than it usually does. There have been occasions though when it's been much heavier, when she has actually spoken through me. That usually happens when it's important to get a message across to someone for some specific reason. I don't always know the reason, but there's a kind of imperative that goes along with it. I always follow through if I possibly can, usually by sending the person an e-mail or private message. That's why I sometimes refer to myself as "Lady Sophia's errand girl."
i wonder how you would react if i claimed to be writing under the influence of a maggid - or pointed out that moses wrote the Torah down as Dictated by G!D - thus seeing himself essentially as "G!D's errand boy"?

The same standard applies that I apply to everything: If it's true, it can stand on its own.
that might make it true, but it won't necessarily make it logical. nor does the exclusive authority to define the parameters of "truth" rest entirely with you (no more with me, but then i don't claim that).

b'shalom

bananabrain

as for all these personal attacks on my character:

have to tell you I'm getting MORE than a little fed up with your incessant caricatures of "hippies" and your obvious hatred of the Baby Boomer generation. I was born in 1946 and I am 63 effing years old, fer cryin' out loud!
i don't hate baby-boomers, i just tend to find that they often come across as a bunch of egotistical, overprivileged crybabies who, not content with having used up all the free sex, cheap drugs and original rock and roll, profited handsomely from the rise of global capitalism and taken early retirement to live off their artificially inflated stock portfolio, have left the rest of us to clean up the mess from their exploitation of the environment and the developing world and pay for their pensions, whilst also picking up the tab for their long-term elderly care and not being able to afford a house to live in. i'm not saying this about you, you understand, i don't know you at all, but i do get somewhat fed up of this "the world was created for our benefit" attitude. i don't ask you to apologise for it, but my generation is going to be paying for the deferred expense of your generation's excesses, possibly with the future of the planet. personally, i'm getting more than a little fed up of your androphobic conspiracy theorising and presumption that anyone traditionally minded is nothing but a sexist liar.

I'd think you could at least have some small degree of respect for your elders if nothing else. But even if you don't, I'd advise you to drop that attitude right now--unless of course you really want to see a 24-karat war goddess in action.
so now i'm supposed to "respect my elders"? that is the height of hypocrisy coming from someone with your attitude to traditional authority. i respect good arguments - not appeals to your age. i don't think i'm the one with the "attitude" here, i'm not the one giving it the wrestlemania press conference act - what are you going to do, play grateful dead albums at me?

What I don't understand is why making this observation, and following through in the case of specific texts, should be viewed as debunking, reductionism or even anti-Semitism. Oral transmission WAS the standard method of transmission of knowledge and culture in preliterate societies, after all. And it would still be relied on heavily in literate societies in situations where writing materials were hard to come by.
oral transmission was also the standard transmission of jewish society, that is what the Oral Torah *is*. unfortunately, you don't trust our oral tradition any more than you trust our written texts. my "debunking" objection is based on the fact that that was why it was done in the first place - to prove that the "old" testament was backward, primitive and bloodthirsty in contradistinction to the gentle, loving, progressive "new" testament. that may not be why it's done nowadays in all cases, but the past casts a long shadow. i would have thought you would be the first to appreciate that distrust of a system would result in scepticism regarding the products of that system.

I could see more clearly than I ever have before the unbelievable--and in fact, borderline irrational-- defensiveness on BB's part. There is a consistent assumption of hostility and a questioning of Bob X's motives, a "guilty until proven innocent" attitude, the extent of which I've hardly ever seen before.
perhaps you haven't experienced what i've experienced from people far less knowledgeable than bob_x (who, fortunately, turned out to be a first-class chap) when attempting to debate the same issues. perhaps you think i came by the suspicion out of nowhere? i love how keen you are to call *me* defensive, hostile and irrational. transference much?

What I'm referring to is the constant anxiety, or fear, or suspicion, that OTHER PEOPLE are either guilty of or on the edge of being guilty of some horrendous sin or heresy--in BB's case it would probably be some type of dualism--and he seems to be perpetually terrified that OTHER PEOPLE are going to fall into it unconsciously and then proceed to go right off the deep end.
perhaps you have not been as horrified as i have been by the sheer ignorance of judaism that is displayed by the vast majority of people that use the phrase "judeo-christian", or as appalled as i have been by the misconceptions, distortions and outright lies that are told about the tradition by people who haven't the least idea how to study it. there's a thread somewhere about rape which i'll try and dig out which illustrates this in no uncertain terms.

Projection has to be the collective disease of all religion, not only Judaism but Christianity (especially) and every other religion--the tendency to ascribe undue power to the forces of evil--and inevitably increasing their power in the process!--and then projecting them onto other people, other religions, other ethnic groups.
or perhaps onto patriarchal cover-up conspiracies.

That has the very predictable effect of alienating said other people and making them want to avoid you like the plague.
ironic, really, isn't it?

Projection is the cardinal sin of religious people in general and religious MEN especially. THEY are the ones who have been grinding the Shekhina into the dust over and over again through 5000 years of patriarchal domination.
and you don't think that your feelings, however justified and evidence-based they might (or might not) be enter into this even a teensy little bit?

But I and nobody else get to determine what is and is not constructive. I alone have absolute veto power. Nobody else...and above all no MAN!
hurrah for you! sound the trumpets! no, not the trumpets, they are far too phallocentric, let's have some street theatre instead.

i've never questioned the purity of your motives, but you seem to have no problem questioning my good faith and honesty.

sheesh.

b'shalom

bananabrain

i wonder how you would react if i claimed to be writing under the influence of a maggid - or pointed out that moses wrote the Torah down as Dictated by G!D - thus seeing himself essentially as "G!D's errand boy"?

You misunderstand what I was trying to say. I wasn't saying YOU should believe me, nor claiming any special authority for anyone but myself. If you claimed you were writing under the influence of a maggid I wouldn't necessarily disbelieve you. But if you said it to gain credibility for an assertion like "moses wrote the Torah down as dictated by G!D..." then NO, I wouldn't trust you nor would I trust your source [the maggid] at least as far as that assertion is concerned.

Did you happen to notice that I didn't make one single statement I alleged came from Lady Sophia or any of my other sources (I have four of them) that I claimed "everyone" should believe on the basis of *MY* private revelation?

If I had known you were going to take that tone I would not have posted about my channeling at all.

--Linda

perhaps you have not been as horrified as i have been by the sheer ignorance of judaism that is displayed by the vast majority of people that use the phrase "judeo-christian", or as appalled as i have been by the misconceptions, distortions and outright lies that are told about the tradition by people who haven't the least idea how to study it.

BB,

Oh yes, I have! I bet I've been at least as horrified as you have at least as often. When I was a newbie to interfaith debate forums, I couldn't understand why some Jews disliked the expression "Judeo-Christian." Now I do.

You may think that coming from a much more liberal place than you do, that I also have certain fundamental misunderstandings about "the tradition" and how it works. But even if you're right, they are NOT the same kind of misunderstandings that Christians have about it. What horrifies me the most about Christian stereotyping of Judaism is that not only do they not know...they don't WANT to know! And the more fundamentalist they are, the harder they work at their ignorance.

--Linda

What horrifies me the most about Christian stereotyping of Judaism is that not only do they not know...they don't WANT to know! And the more fundamentalist they are, the harder they work at their ignorance.

--Linda
Namaste Linda,

hmm that there generalization sounds like some Jewish stereotyping to me.

I love getting invited to Seders or eating in the Sukkah, am enamored with counting the omer, and enjoy thoroughly shabat...and I am not alone.

BB,

Oh yes, I have! I bet I've been at least as horrified as you have at least as often. When I was a newbie to interfaith debate forums, I couldn't understand why some Jews disliked the expression "Judeo-Christian." Now I do.

That is interesting, Linda. I think I am about as liberal as they get, and the expression Judeo-Christian does not bother me at all. As I have studied the history of Christianity it is inexplicably linked to Judaism. So why would that expression bother anyone ?

You may think that coming from a much more liberal place than you do, that I also have certain fundamental misunderstandings about "the tradition" and how it works.

I have read many of BB's posts and I know that he is much more knowledgable than I am about traditional Judaism. But I do not feel that BB is condescending toward me at all. I think I know as much about Judaism as I need to know, in order to make the decisions that I have made about my own religious choices. For the past few years I have been drawn toward the progressive, even radical parts of Judaism. I thought that I might find that in Renewal, but after reading Integral Halacha, I now think that Reconstructionism has more that is consistent with my perspective, so I am studying more in that area.

But even if you're right, they are NOT the same kind of misunderstandings that Christians have about it.

What do you think these misunderstandings are ?

What horrifies me the most about Christian stereotyping of Judaism is that not only do they not know...they don't WANT to know!

Some examples, please ?

And the more fundamentalist they are, the harder they work at their ignorance.

Do you think there are any intelligent conservative Christians ?

Namaste Linda,

hmm that there generalization sounds like some Jewish stereotyping to me.

I love getting invited to Seders or eating in the Sukkah, am enamored with counting the omer, and enjoy thoroughly shabat...and I am not alone.

Wil,

Then obviously I wasn't talking about you, was I? Unfortunately, there are far too many Christians who aren't nearly as open and accepting as you are, and they are precisely the ones who parade their ignorance at the highest decibel levels!

It seems like the more ignorant they are, the more they think they know about Judaism. I've run into both Catholic and Protestant-type fundies who are absolutely convinced they know all there is to know about Judaism because they've read the Old Testament. They don't even bother asking me what I believe...as soon as they find out I'm Jewish they tell me what I believe!

I think this is one area where BB isn't going to argue with me...for once! I bet he knows exactly where I'm coming from.

--Linda

BB,

I agree with you Bob X is "a first-rate chap" and that his integrity is just as rock-solid as his scholarship. And you could have seen that right away just like I did when I read that exchange between the two of you following your "tilting at windmills" post from 2003. And you could have acknowledged his integrity--and I don't mean in a perfunctory fashion either. Then you might not have provoked him to the following statement:

No he isn't, and that was precisely my point! It's pretty obvious who he considers an equal and who he doesn't. He talks to Avi and Dauer as if they were grown-ups, but he talks to me like I'm a little kid who doesn't know any better, or maybe worse than that...a woman???

Mods: I didn't get my previous post edited within the 20-minute editing period, and it makes no sense as written so I'm finishing it in this one. Could you please delete the previous one?

BB,

I agree with you Bob X is "a first-rate chap" and that his integrity is just as rock-solid as his scholarship. And you could have seen that right away just like I did when I read that exchange between the two of you following your "tilting at windmills" post from 2003. And you could have acknowledged his integrity--and I don't mean in a perfunctory fashion either. Then you might not have provoked him to the following statement:

This is the same question that *I* have for *you*. You do not treat me with a tone of respect: you talk down to me as if I were a child who has never looked at this stuff before.

Those words jumped off the screen at me, because I remembered what I said about you on November 10th:

No he isn't, and that was precisely my point! It's pretty obvious who he considers an equal and who he doesn't. He talks to Avi and Dauer as if they were grown-ups, but he talks to me like I'm a little kid who doesn't know any better, or maybe worse than that...a woman???

Notice these two very similar observations coming from two VERY people, one of them a great deal more knowledgeable than the other. That was when I realized that you do indeed act that with everyone, or at least with everyone who makes you feel threatened for whatever reason.

--Linda

i'm not saying you should. what i'm saying is that given that you think pretty much everyone in jewish history is a paternalistic liar or just plain fictional

BB, I have to disagree pretty strongly with this section. Most of the Torah is pretty paternalistic, with a few exceptions, Ruth, Debra, probably a few others that you might know better than I do. Not to say they are liars, but I do not think anyone would disagree with their being paternalistic. Of course Torah is an ancient document, so it is not really surprising.

i don't really know why you're so keen to be a part of a club whose rules you despise, whose members you detest and whose history, culture and literature you consider to be the product of systematic falsification. in other words, whatever it is you seek to identify with, it isn't with anything that is particularly recognisable as jewish in any way that anyone mainstream can identify, or indeed anything that if it existed at all, has existed in the last 2-3 millennia.

You are treading on very delicate ground here. There are many reasons that people are Jews. Some of us are born as Jews. I am not sure about Linda's case but based on what I have read, that seems to be the case. Some who are born as Jews accept different levels of Jewish ideas and dogma. Others convert to Judaism. I have met many converts to Judaism that accept more of the dogma than I do. I think you are off base with the comments that I bolded. I think Linda has the right to consider herself a Jew, whatever her reason, and you have no reasonable basis to question her beliefs. On thing I notice about Linda, that is very Jewish indeed, is her natural rebelliousness and challenging of authority :D !!

Some of us are born as Jews. I am not sure about Linda's case but based on what I have read, that seems to be the case. Some who are born as Jews accept different levels of Jewish ideas and dogma. Others convert to Judaism. I have met many converts to Judaism that accept more of the dogma than I do. I think you are off base with the comments that I bolded.

Thanks, Avi. Yes, I was born Jewish. I have not repudiated it or become an apostate. I have defended Judaism against more anti-Semites, "Messianic" proselytizers and general garden-variety ignoranamuses than you can shake a stick at--probably at least as many as BB has. And I'm damn good at it too! I give them a run for their money because I can speak their language. That's one of the pluses of being a syncretist and living on the edge.

He was caricaturing my position as usual. But it really doesn't matter what he says or what he thinks, since he has no power to declare me Jewish or not-Jewish. That isn't his judgment call. What I said in an earlier post still holds true: Nobody can lock me in, and nobody can lock me out either.

B'shalom,
Linda

Banana,

You have iterated plenty of times now that you were for a good part of your life ambivalent to rejectionist of your tradition. And that you have come to it as you matured. A bit like a born again Christian it seems to me that there is now only your truth. As you know I tend to keep off the faith-specific sections, out of respect, popping in has been rewarding. I know you a little better. :)

Banana,

You have iterated plenty of times now that you were for a good part of your life ambivalent to rejectionist of your tradition. And that you have come to it as you matured. A bit like a born again Christian it seems to me that there is now only your truth. As you know I tend to keep off the faith-specific sections, out of respect, popping in has been rewarding. I know you a little better. :)

Tao,

I'm very glad you read some of this thread. It makes me feel very vindicated in what I said about myself on the other topic--in fact I had this topic very much in mind when I wrote it. I am indeed the SAME person on every topic or forum I post on, and now you can see that for yourself.

Did you happen to notice the sneering and sarcastic tone BB took about my channeling? He was actually a lot worse than you were about my past life identification. He even questioned my right to my Jewish identity, which in the context of Judaism is completely unacceptable as Avi noted.

--Linda

He (BB) was actually a lot worse than you (Tao) were about my past life identification.

Now there is quite the compliment :D !

Since we are doing some psychoanalysis here, Linda, you know, you are not the first Jewish witch I have known (you should meet my mother-in-law :D, now that sounds like a Henny Youngman joke :D), and I have always got on well with them. You see, in terms or radical-ness, if I was any more radical than I am, I would probably be a witch myself ;) !! (are men called warlocks? or was that only on Bewitched ? :), being a child of the '60's I loved that TV show, I bet you did too :) ).

BB, I have to disagree pretty strongly with this section. Most of the Torah is pretty paternalistic, with a few exceptions, Ruth, Debra, probably a few others that you might know better than I do. Not to say they are liars, but I do not think anyone would disagree with their being paternalistic. Of course Torah is an ancient document, so it is not really surprising.

You are treading on very delicate ground here. There are many reasons that people are Jews. Some of us are born as Jews. I am not sure about Linda's case but based on what I have read, that seems to be the case. Some who are born as Jews accept different levels of Jewish ideas and dogma. Others convert to Judaism. I have met many converts to Judaism that accept more of the dogma than I do. I think you are off base with the comments that I bolded. I think Linda has the right to consider herself a Jew, whatever her reason, and you have no reasonable basis to question her beliefs. On thing I notice about Linda, that is very Jewish indeed, is her natural rebelliousness and challenging of authority :D !!

Avi l read here that some of those lassies were not even borne of a jewish mother! Goes to show that changes can and do come from outwith the established tradition for it to progress and evolve as a sign and alignment 'with the times'; and resistance always precedes resolution before a more comfortable resolve is settled into.

Avi l read here that some of those lassies were not even borne of a jewish mother! Goes to show that changes can and do come from outwith the established tradition for it to progress and evolve as a sign and alignment 'with the times'; and resistance always precedes resolution before a more comfortable resolve is settled into.

Hi NA, speaking for myself only, I am not a big fan of anti-Zionist websites, like the one you linked.

I have had many discussions with you in the past, so I do not question your intention in posting this link. But I do think it underlies a certain insensitivity that I have observed in European views of Israel and Judaism, and I have already discussed with Tao.

Although I am a Reform Jew, I consider myself a Zionist. I think some earlier Reform Jews were not Zionists, my understanding is that Zionism has been growing steadily within the Reform movement.

Given some of the recent activities in Iran, with nuclear proliferation issues, I think this move toward Zionism should not be surprising.

I will be curious to see other Jewish posters views of this linked website.

I will be curious to see other Jewish posters views of this linked website.

Avi,

I had a quick look at the linked website and didn't like it any more than you apparently did. There is no doubt that Zionism can become a very pernicious form of idolatry, and it's happening especially among the extreme religious right in Israel and their sympathizers in other countries. But just because someone condemns the idolatrous and unjust manifestions of Zionism is no reason to condemn Zionism itself.

Zionism also has its protective aspect, which was its raison d'etre in the first place. I don't understand the all-or-nothing approach of websites like "Jews Not Zionists." Also, it's important to remember that the original Orthodox opponents of Zionism are the Neturei Karta, a minority branch of ultraconservative Judaism who are opposed to Zionism for religious reasons.

This would be a good subject for a new topic, which I don't have time to start now.

B'shalom,
Linda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back