Reform

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, he's like that with everyone. :D

No he isn't, and that was precisely my point! It's pretty obvious who he considers an equal and who he doesn't. He talks to Avi and Dauer as if they were grown-ups, but he talks to me like I'm a little kid who doesn't know any better, or maybe worse than that...a woman???

I didn't actually think of that before today, but that could very well be what's at the bottom of it.

--Linda

Oh, he's like that with everyone. :D

But he carries it with a dry humour, that if you recognise and work with, makes his posts both intelligent and entertaining, rather than challenging.

I think. :)

Hey Brian, I thought I had already made up with Linda, are you being a trouble maker ? :eek:

I thought that was my job in this forum :D:D !!

No he isn't, and that was precisely my point! It's pretty obvious who he considers an equal and who he doesn't. He talks to Avi and Dauer as if they were grown-ups, but he talks to me like I'm a little kid who doesn't know any better, or maybe worse than that...a woman???

I didn't actually think of that before today, but that could very well be what's at the bottom of it.

--Linda

Linda, you are quickly becoming one of my favorite posters !!

But it is more fun when you hammer BB and Dauer than me :D !!

Now, one thing is for sure, I make sure not to insult anyone who can cast spells. Can you do that ?? :cool:

Hey Brian, I thought I had already made up with Linda, are you being a trouble maker ? :eek:

I thought that was my job in this forum :D:D !!

Avi,

Made up with you??? I didn't know I was ever fighting with you! Oh well, thanks for letting me know...I thought I was fighting with BB!

--Linda

Now, one thing is for sure, I make sure not to insult anyone who can cast spells. Can you do that ?? :cool:

Only on my good days...or maybe it's my bad days. I can never remember this stuff...

--Linda

Linda, from my experience, that is what he does with everyone.

bananabrain can be intimidating towards Christians and Wiccans (jewiccan seems to imply that), or just about anyone, but from my observations it's never been Christianity or Wicca, or anything else specifically that drove him nuts, but people claiming things that he didn't consider true with regards to Jewish teachings. I do recall you appearing elsewhere, and perhaps even your conflicts with bananabrain but I can't remember what the arguments were about.

But anyway, from my experience, he only becomes intimidating when you get into an argument with him, because he will simply stop at nothing to say why you're wrong. He will often outlast you because he knows a lot.

The more you oppose him, the more persistent and determined he becomes. The reason why I think dauer doesn't get into "fights" with him is because dauer has learnt how to handle BB.

Newbies who don't know him that well fall for the trap of trying to argue with the juggernaut. I almost got into a heated debate with him a few times. The reason why I didn't was because I just couldn't be bothered.

In the meantime I have been observing and I understand now what he is really doing and he doesn't seem at all that unfriendly.

This is what I posted in the Christianity forum when someone there complained:

From experience, bananabrain only appears mean, harsh, hostile and intimidating when you disagree with him. When he's angry he certainly speaks his mind. I wonder if he belongs in the "grumpy old men" category. I wonder if it's characteristic of certain groups of people living in Israel or England to be overly sarcastic the way he is? Sometimes when I watch British drama programs it appears as if Britons don't have a sense of humour. It's like they're always serious and sarcastic. It's bananabrain on television.

I've actually found that a lot of what he says actually makes sense.

Just don't mess with him. Talk more about HaShem than Christ and I think he'll like you more. Say more of what an Orthodox Jew wants to hear.:)

I have pushed his buttons at least twice, but I never got into any long, drawn-out arguments with him. But those two encounters were enough to let me know what it was like when he gave people a stern look in the face. Since then I have learnt to avoid disagreements with him.

I think BB is a reasonable person if you don't make yourself his enemy. Why don't you just ask him to be nice to you? That to me is the simplest thing. You don't have to make this a win/lose battle because it's likely that you will never win.

Just ask. Seriously (more emphasis added).:)

You have no dignity to lose over this (woman or not, I don't think it matters) and as far as I know you still have it. Choose the path of least resistance and just ask for peace. Don't try to fight him. Just talk and discuss. Don't push the issue. If you do, his criticisms of you will simply return. None of its deliberately intentional. It's just what he does. I don't think he even realises he's being sarcastic half the time.

But more importantly, don't get too personal with this.

He's like some "nutty professor" who can't help making smart alec comments. But it's not to offend, it's just what "nutty professors" do. Look at his avatar. A guy with a beard wearing a hat. Some deep thinking there. (I don't mean he really is a "professor." I was just making the analogy. He's obviously a learned scholar of some kind.)

Raksha said:
One question: How do you define "idolatry"? Do you equate idolatry with goddess worship?
linda,

that's actually really a very difficult question and in order to answer it properly it would take an in-depth knowledge of the relevant texts that i cannot claim to have, in particular the gemara on avodah zara and how it has been interpreted through the ages by the rishonim and aharonim. it's easier to say what it *isn't* nowadays. for example, i'm not sure it's sufficient to say that polytheism tout court is idolatry, because for me idolatry is less about theology than it is about *behaviour*. in this i consider myself to be following the me'iri (france C12th) whose position - and, obviously, writing in the context of mediaeval state catholicism - was:

"idolatry is not about statues".

in this, he directly contradicts rambam for a start and virtually anyone writing in an islamic context, muslims, of course, taking a very dim view of the depiction of any human form. rambam is unequivocal in condemning the trinity as idolatrous and in this the popular viewpoint continues to this day. of course, if you understand anything about trinitarianism (and, again, i am no expert) it is precisely the same criticism that can be made of, say, the sefirot, or even the veneration of a sefer Torah. me'iri got this and, as far as i am aware, it was his view, not rambam's that made it into the bet yosef and consequently into the shulhan arukh, although somehow the maimonidean viewpoint has persisted (as in so many other ways) despite it being a) a minority view and b) despite so many of his other theological innovations being apparently maintained even whilst what he himself meant by them is conveniently ignored.

i think, fundamentally, there are certain things that i would associate with idolatry as defined biblically:

violence (particularly sexual violence)
torture (of humans or animals)
bloodshed (to oneself or others in anything less than strictly controlled and consensual circumstances)
anything which involves acts which might be construed as worshipping or attributing divine-type powers to humans, alive or dead (e.g. bowing to pictures of real people, relics of the dead etc)
valuing objects more than people or treating people like objects

i think the common denominator here is some form of harm. in terms of things defined rabbinically as idolatry, some things i agree with, others i don't - particularly in terms of non-jewish theology, which they're often unqualified to comment on. either way, it is one thing for G!D to object to something and another for humans to put a fence around it. i have no problem with rabbinic authority to add fences for jews, but i do have one when they start legislating for non-jews. thus, something may be idolatrous for jews (e.g. bowing to a statue) but not for non-jews. there is also the matter of time. there is a statement somewhere, i think BT sanhedrin 64a, to the effect that the "evil impulse" (yetzer ha-ra') for idolatry began to die out in the time of nechemiah - idolatry these days ain't what it used to be, just like we can no longer identify the seven nations of canaan that we should be exterminating, so that commandment can safely be said to have become unobservable, about which i hope G!D Is Pleased.

I became aware (again) of the extreme contrast between the way you relate to Dauer and the way you relate to me. It's painfully obvious that you consider him an equal, but with me you're patronizing and sarcastic. And it's NOT like you don't disagree with him, because you disagree with him quite often but you still never take that tone with him.
well, to be honest, linda, he doesn't take the tone with me that you appear to do, namely that i'm a 'sexist, lying, chauvinist pig with suspicious motives, like all traditional jews'. i've also known him longer and to be honest, his position is one with which i have more sympathy and one which, whilst "progressive", is well within the boundaries of the jewish ecosystem as i understand it. i admit i have difficulty with the idea that syncretism is compatible with judaism. you, of course, have no trouble with boundaries and appear to take pleasure in the transgressive nature of your beliefs. that is all very well and i respect your integrity insofar as it clearly represents deeply personally held views which are held with good reason and has been caused by circumstances which i deeply sympathise with. but - and this is a big but - i dislike your hostility and your apparent rush to condemn things which you disagree with whether you understand them or not. that sort of thing gets my back up and dauer doesn't do it. you are quite happy to congratulate yourself for getting angry with people whose views you find detestable, fine - but if you want a more civilised, polite discussion, try treating me less as someone who is presumed to beat his wife.

What I really mean is that certain arguments and certain examples simply would never come up with Dauer because you'd know you could never get them past him.
he's called me on many things, many times. sometimes i have been forced to concede a point as far as i remember.

Anyway, I said something to the effect that we have no reason to believe the female judges condemned goddess worship. And you answered, "Why not, if it was wrong?"
my presumption is that, unless textual evidence to the contrary is presented, that someone like deborah would have taken the view that goddess worship was not compatible with monotheism and therefore idolatrous and therefore to be condemned. it is a reasonable presumption to make, so the comment ought to be fair comment.

it isn't hard to figure out that she was a very influential person, and not only a judge and prophetess but most likely a priestess of Astarte--possibly Asherah but most likely Astarte in her character as war goddess.
i can see why you would be likely to assume that, as it confirms the assumptions that you are working to. by the same logic, i have heard it argued that "it isn't hard to figure out that" the suffering servant in isaiah is jesus. you've already decided what you think is right and you're extrapolating the rest of the story from your assumptions, as you state here:

I am 95% sure of it, and just because the Tanakh doesn't mention it doesn't mean it wasn't so.
now, you're entitled to do so if you wish, goodness knows the book of judges is full of some pretty controversial leaders many of whom engage in pretty questionable behaviour (look at jephthah for a start!) but you've got no textual evidence to show that your view should be presumed to be correct as opposed to a more normative traditional view. there is no way of resolving this to our mutual satisfaction, short of a letter signed by deborah herself saying she was or wasn't a priestess of asherah and however much you yell at me that won't make the argument any less an argument of post hoc rationalisation and patriarchal cover-ups.

The point I'm making here is that looking at the story in the actual historical context as far as we can reconstruct it, there is just NO WAY any Israelite of the period (male or female) would have considered goddess worship "wrong," least of all a highly influential priestess.
as it says in the last verse of judges itself: "in those days there was no king in israel, everyone did as they liked." i would accept it if you had said "there is just no way that EVERY israelite of the period....etc", but instead, you've made it a universal. i find this position unconvincing at best.

that you should not have used that argument with me AT ALL, and the fact that you did shows a very basic lack of respect for me. You were taking advantage of my ignorance, and the fact I had not YET read The Hebrew Goddess.
if i were accustomed to argue like that, i would hardly have recommended that you go and read it. again, you're showing that you don't consider me to speak in good faith and, in a dialogue environment, that is a basic requirement. i'd take offence, but clearly there'd be little point.

But when you use these arguments from authority with me when you already know I reject them, you are simply insulting my intelligence.
i'm not sure why you think this is an argument from authority. my axioms are different from yours and i trust where you do not and vice versa.

pretty obvious who he considers an equal and who he doesn't. He talks to Avi and Dauer as if they were grown-ups, but he talks to me like I'm a little kid who doesn't know any better, or maybe worse than that...a woman??? I didn't actually think of that before today, but that could very well be what's at the bottom of it.
and *that's* not an argument from authority? what next, are you going to call me a racist because i disagree with intermarriage? way to shut down debate there.

Saltmeister said:
bananabrain can be intimidating towards Christians and Wiccans (jewiccan seems to imply that)
i dislike syncretism. i do not see how there can be such a thing as a "jewiccan" - other than a jew who professes wicca, who is, in jewish terms, simply an apostate jew, but a jew nonetheless. however, the two systems are not combinable in any meaningful sense - i don't say this as a point of principle, but as one of the few people i am aware of that have ever actually done any jewish-wiccan dialogue (or jewish-astruar dialogue, incidentally). on the other hand, since looking into it in some detail, i have consistently argued that there is nothing about wicca or the vast majority of neo-pagan beliefs and practices that jews ought to worry about. i had a significant influence (according to her anyway) on the author of this book:

Philosophy of Wicca: Amazon.co.uk: Amber Laine Fisher: Books

and our own neo-pagan mod here, bgruagach would, i hope, confirm my lack of prejudice in this department.

from my observations it's never been Christianity or Wicca, or anything else specifically that drove him nuts, but people claiming things that he didn't consider true with regards to Jewish teachings.
to be precise, it is people claiming that judaism teaches X or that a jewish text teaches Y when i know as someone who has been taught or studied these subjects that they do nothing of the sort. there are jews that get these things wrong as well and they drive me nuts too.

he will simply stop at nothing to say why you're wrong. He will often outlast you because he knows a lot.
if an argument is based on someone simply not knowing what the rules actually are or what the text actually teaches, then "knowing a lot" has to be the basis of argument. i would hope that i don't continue arguments just because i like to win - i hope, anyway.

I wonder if it's characteristic of certain groups of people living in Israel or England to be overly sarcastic the way he is? Sometimes when I watch British drama programs it appears as if Britons don't have a sense of humour. It's like they're always serious and sarcastic. It's bananabrain on television.
i'd argue that not only is it british, it's also quite characteristic of where i went to school and my youth movement background. you know sacha baron cohen? the borat/bruno/ali g bloke? he was in the year below me. also, you're seeing me at my most analytical and that can get academic in its waspishness.

I don't think he even realises he's being sarcastic half the time.
oh i do, i just don't think it's always obvious when i'm being playful if you're not british - and the web doesn't convey tone all that well.

b'shalom

bananabrain

BB,

I'm going to have to copy and paste your note into MS Word and answer it over the next few days, because you covered a lot of ground in that post, and I simply don't write as fast as you do. Also, I have other writing projects I'd like to at least start on today, even if I don't finish them.

But I think I have to address this part right now, because it's at the very heart of where I'm coming from.

i admit i have difficulty with the idea that syncretism is compatible with judaism. you, of course, have no trouble with boundaries and appear to take pleasure in the transgressive nature of your beliefs. that is all very well and i respect your integrity insofar as it clearly represents deeply personally held views which are held with good reason and has been caused by circumstances which i deeply sympathise with.

There is really no way that you can truly sympathize with my circumstances, because you don't know what they are. I understand that you want to, and that you think you do, but nobody who hasn't walked my path truly understands, not even the one who more than anyone else was the precipitating or proximate cause of those circumstances. Of course it was a man, a Jewish man...actually a boy just a few months past his bar mitzvah when I first laid eyes on him many years ago, but a man now.

And how could it have been otherwise, when you think about it? What else could have caused such long-lasting....I won't say bitterness or vehemence, because believe it or not I'm past that now. At this point--and this has been true for many years, but it only becomes more true as time goes on--it's more like an absolute sense of ownership of my Jewish heritage.

I may have posted this at some time in the past, but it bears repeating even if I have: I understand that my Jewish heritage is mine, to do with as I please. It has been bought and paid for with my own blood and nobody else's. Nobody holds a mortgage on it. Nobody can ever lock me into it, and nobody can ever lock me out of it either. That means I can flush it down the toilet two minutes from now if I want to, and nobody can say a damn thing about it. And conversely, I can claim it any time I want to (and WITHOUT becoming a ba'al teshuvah) and nobody can say a damn thing about that either.

Sure, you can say whatever you want to about it, and in the past people have said plenty! And I'm not saying you can't hurt me very deeply by what you say. You can call me a traitor to Judaism, as my devoutly Zionist sister did many years ago. You think THAT didn't hurt? You can hurt me, you can make me angry, you can alienate me to the point where I'm no longer willing to engage in dialogue with you.

What you cannot do is convince me that your definition of who is and is not a Jew has anything to do with me. You can disapprove of my syncretism all you want to and you can be as sarcastic and dismissive as you like. What you cannot do ( nor can anyone else) is have the slightest effect or influence on my own self-definition as a Jew, because THAT has been bought and paid for as I said.

All of that said, though...you should really be grateful that I'm in your camp and on your side...because I don't have to be!

B'shalom
Linda

linda,

Raksha said:
There is really no way that you can truly sympathize with my circumstances, because you don't know what they are.
of course that's true, but my point here is to at get across to you that i am not some doctrinaire ba'al teshubah git. i grew up in the (uk) reform movement. i have had to go through the painful process of finding a place for myself in the traditional community - painful because it involved both causing pain and feeling it, to and from people as near and dear to me as could be. i would be surprised if you had much more reason to be vehement and bitter about your history than i do about mine - it's not a competition, obviously, but i say this to emphasise what we share. you might ask yourself why i choose to do so rather than just batten down the hatches and call you names.

At this point--and this has been true for many years, but it only becomes more true as time goes on--it's more like an absolute sense of ownership of my Jewish heritage. ...I understand that my Jewish heritage is mine, to do with as I please. It has been bought and paid for with my own blood and nobody else's. Nobody holds a mortgage on it. Nobody can ever lock me into it, and nobody can ever lock me out of it either. That means I can flush it down the toilet two minutes from now if I want to, and nobody can say a damn thing about it. And conversely, I can claim it any time I want (and WITHOUT becoming a ba'al teshuvah) and nobody can say a damn thing about that either.
i don't think there's a single thing in this paragraph that i wouldn't say myself, except the bit about flushing things down the toilet. for me, part of judaism is understanding that at its most fundamental, it involves community and sharing - some of the greatest pain for me and others has come from flushing stuff down toilets without first asking if other people found the stuff in question valuable, or even crucial. it has caused me to become extremely cautious about using the flush option. the "mortgage", as it were, is shared, not owned by any individual or any group. one might compare it to the american version of patriotism; you are of course entitled to burn the flag, but you shouldn't be surprised at the reaction you get when you do.

You can call me a traitor to Judaism, as my passionately Zionist sister did many years ago.
i don't think i have. in fact, the more i talk to you, the more i am reminded both of the elisha ben abuya novel "as a driven leaf" and of the halakhah of the zaken mamre.

What you cannot do is convince me that your definition of who is and is not a Jew has anything to do with me.
then you have, effectively, flushed some pretty fundamental things, which include "all jews are responsible for one another" and the idea of judaism as a community, covenantal or otherwise. now, of course, you can try and do judaism as a sole practitioner, but it's not what i would call an easy or sustainable option.

What you cannot do( nor can anyone else) is have the slightest effect or influence on my own self-definition as a Jew, because THAT has been bought and paid for as I said.
you should note is that i have not defined who is and is not a jew at all. all i have done is talked about what is and isn't judaism. labels only stretch so far. fine, you are an intelligent adult, you can stick a star of david on a bacon sandwich if you like, but there is a point at which considering it judaism starts to feel a little forced. i seem to remember you feeling the same way about "jews for jesus".

All of that said, though...you should really be grateful that I'm in your camp and on your side...because I don't HAVE to be!
are those rabid idiots on tops of hills in the west bank in my camp? i'm not sure i want to be in any camp they're in, but, twisted and lunatic though their ideology is, i'm stuck with the feckers anyway. should i be grateful to them, too? in a piece here ( Harry’s Place what is it with these maniacs? ) i make it quite clear where the idolatry lies. however, i'll take you over that lot any day.

b'shalom

bananabrain

BB,

One more parting shot, or afterthought to my last post: I have tremendous respect for Dauer on my own account, and I don't begrudge him or Avi that in the least. And it's not just for his phenomenal intelligence and the depth of his knowledge. It's because when I first posted about my background on this board, he said: "It sounds like it was a very sacred path."

Young as he is--and he was a year or so younger the time--he still had the perception to understand that. True, it's been a very difficult path, but a very sacred one too. Someday, I still hope to tell my story as it deserves to be told. I've been trying for about 25 years now, and I believe I may be closer to it than I've ever been before.

B'shalom,
Linda

Quote:
All of that said, though...you should really be grateful that I'm in your camp and on your side...because I don't HAVE to be!

are those rabid idiots on tops of hills in the west bank in my camp? i'm not sure i want to be in any camp they're in, but, twisted and lunatic though their ideology is, i'm stuck with the feckers anyway. should i be grateful to them, too? in a piece here ( Harry’s Place what is it with these maniacs? ) i make it quite clear where the idolatry lies. however, i'll take you over that lot any day.

BB,

THANK YOU!!! And I'll take YOU over that lot any day too, and that's BEFORE I click on your link! I think I can make a reasonably educated guess as to what I'm gonna find there when I do. NOW you're starting to get a glimmer of where I'm coming from, and I suppose I should be grateful for that.

B'shalom,
Linda

BB,

Okay, I started reading it and I'm not even finished yet, but I just have to say it...Is this guy out of his freakin' mind or what? It's even worse than I thought!

Rabbi Yitzhak Shapiro, who heads the Od Yosef Chai Yeshiva in the Yitzhar settlement, wrote in his book “The King’s Torah” that even babies and children can be killed if they pose a threat to the nation.

Shapiro based the majority of his teachings on passages quoted from the Bible, to which he adds his opinions and beliefs. ”It is permissable to kill the Righteous among Nations even if they are not responsible for the threatening situation,” he wrote, adding: “If we kill a Gentile who has sinned or has violated one of the seven commandments - because we care about the commandments - there is nothing wrong with the murder.”

Holy shee-it, the guy is a freakin' NAZI and he doesn't even know it!!! "Chosen People," my rear end! He has opted OUT of the Chosen People...but of course he doesn't know that either.

--Linda

Quote:
I am 95% sure of it, and just because the Tanakh doesn't mention it doesn't mean it wasn't so.

now, you're entitled to do so if you wish, goodness knows the book of judges is full of some pretty controversial leaders many of whom engage in pretty questionable behaviour (look at jephthah for a start!) but you've got no textual evidence to show that your view should be presumed to be correct as opposed to a more normative traditional view. there is no way of resolving this to our mutual satisfaction, short of a letter signed by deborah herself saying she was or wasn't a priestess of asherah and however much you yell at me that won't make the argument any less an argument of post hoc rationalisation and patriarchal cover-ups.

BB,

Well, yes...it *IS* an argument of post hoc rationalization (I use American spelling and presume you don't mind) and patriarchal cover-up. All I said was that the post hoc rationalization and and patriarchal cover-up was relatively thin at that point, making it fairly easy for me to reconstruct or re-vision what Deborah's actual position must have been.

Of course, I WANT to see it that way and you don't. You have a right to your preferences, of course, the same as I have a right to mine. What you DON'T have the right to do is imply there is no historical basis for my preference when there is.

I'll soon know whether to continue being slightly annoyed at you or full-blown furious, though. I just found a post on the long-running "Pantheism and Panenteism" topic where Dauer asserts that Abraham's beliefs--assuming that Abraham really existed, and wasn't simply a mythical ancestor-figure--were probably no different from his neighbors (that is to say, his pagan neighbors).

What I DON'T know yet is whether you read his post and whether or not you responded and if so, how you responded. Of course, you could argue that since Abraham represents a much earlier period in Jewish history and Deborah a later one (although still very early and pre-patriarchal), that it's likely true for him but not her.

Okay, now for my value judgment: I believe Deborah and Yael were priestesses of the war-goddess Astarte, an early forerunner of the Matronit. And far from thinking any less of them for it, I think more highly of them for it...although that Yael WAS a bit excessive in her treatment of Sisera. But then I guess life imprisonment wasn't really a viable option at the time.

Yael was the name my sister used in Israel, BTW. It wasn't even her actual Hebrew name. Her given name was Jantha and her Hebrew name was Yochevet, which I understand is the subject of an off-color pun in Hebrew. My sister got tired of hearing it and started calling herself Yael...in full knowledge of the ferocity of her biblical namesake, of course.

--Linda

P.S. My third post on my personal blog is about my sister, and begins with a sonnet I wrote shortly after her death. You can read it here:
http://http://rakshaspersonalblog.blogspot.com/2009/09/unsent-letters.html

i dislike syncretism. i do not see how there can be such a thing as a "jewiccan" - other than a jew who professes wicca, who is, in jewish terms, simply an apostate jew, but a jew nonetheless. however, the two systems are not combinable in any meaningful sense
BB,

HUH??? Apostate??? I don't know what you're talking about, but it has nothing to do with me. When my daughter first started getting interested in Wicca (she prefers to call it Witchcraft or Paganism) I made sure she would never be an apostate.

I pointed out to her that "all the gods are one God, and all the goddesses are one Goddess, and both are ONE." I'm quoting a mythic fantasy novel here, whose title and author I forget.

I also told her there is no such thing as "used to be Jewish" when she tried to describe herself that way. I told her that when you're born Jewish, you continue to be Jewish no matter what. You can be a very bad Jew, or an apostate Jew, and you can even be called "a traitor to Judaism" by your nearest and dearest, but if you have a Jewish soul you can no more change that than you can change the color of your eyes.

That's what I believe (know, in fact) and hopefully what she believes also. I think the only way you could ever stop being Jewish would be by descent to the depths of murderous idolatry like that Rabbi Yitzhak Shapiro who was the subject of your polemic. That would mean you had broken the Covenant and would no longer be Jewish in your next life. But you'd have some pretty damn heavy karma even so!

--Linda

i have had to go through the painful process of finding a place for myself in the traditional community - painful because it involved both causing pain and feeling it, to and from people as near and dear to me as could be. i would be surprised if you had much more reason to be vehement and bitter about your history than i do about mine...

BB,

That's one thing I'll never do no matter how angry I get at you. I will never compare my pain with anyone else's or try to tell anyone I had it worse, not unless they are so insensitive as to start the one-upmanship games on their own. THEN I would probably defend myself, and I'd be pretty damn aggressive about it too! But you've said you aren't about to do that, and I'll take you at your word. I truly don't think you'd ever stoop to that level.

Not only is that a complete exercise in futility (in other words, it's impossible to make such comparisons) but it's egotistical--narcissistic, in fact--even to try. You play the hand you're given as best you can.

--Linda

Quote:
You can call me a traitor to Judaism, as my passionately Zionist sister did many years ago.

i don't think i have. in fact, the more i talk to you, the more i am reminded both of the elisha ben abuya novel "as a driven leaf" and of the halakhah of the zaken mamre.

BB,

I'm sorry, but I'm not familiar with either of those analogies. I don't understand them. If I'm being compared with something, I'd at least like to know what it is! :)

--Linda

--Linda

Hi Linda, I love how rebellious you are and you love to criticize authority figures !!:D

While you are having fun hammering BB, there are a couple of other guys I would like to introduce you to. Brian is in charge of the forum. Surely you must have some complaints about the forum ? :D Perhaps it needs a Wicca section ? It is male chauvinist (if you do not agree with this see the thread on feminsts, you will then know the worst chauvinists in this forum - his name starts with Wil :D) ?? I have lots of gripes too, just go ahead and b#tch away :D. Maybe you will hit on my gripes as well !!

I think you will also enjoy interacting with Tao :D, he is an atheist. By the way, are you a theist or atheist ? :) If you are an theist, you will love whacking him too !!:D Are you just jealous because you wanted to be called BB and the name is already taken ?:D (just having some fun with you Linda, I am not being serious :D).

I think you will also enjoy interacting with Tao :D, he is an atheist. By the way, are you a theist or atheist ? :) If you are an theist, you will love whacking him too !!:D

Avi,

I'm neither; I'm a pantheist. That is NOT the same thing as an atheist no matter what any theist tries to tell you!!! In the not-too-distant past, I USED to say I was a panentheist, but recently I've become wary even of saying that. I'd rather call myself a monist (not a monotheist, though) or a pantheist.

It's not that I deny the possibility of a transcendant aspect of God, but I find that as soon as do that--as soon as I even start to concede the possibility of it--some theist is going to come along and ascribe all sorts of motives and "true revelations" to that transcendant aspect of God that I want nothing to do with. And it's ALWAYS something of an authoritarian/patriarchal nature too, and as you already know I am completely allergic to authoritarianism in ANY form.

Also, I don't know how any human can say or know ANYTHING definitive whatsoever about the transcendant aspect of God. We're talking about the Ayn Sof after all, and Ayin means "nothing." What can you possibly say about it in human language?

That would be like saying something definitive about the dark side of the moon. I mean...how can we can know? We don't have any senses or any faculties whatsoever for perceiving it. Whatever we perceive by direct experience is the immanent aspect of God by definition. Or as the Gnostics said: "Whatever you will say, you say nothing outside the flesh," that is to say, outside of the experience derived from our five senses and the human languages we have developed to communicate that experience.

I know, I know...the Holy Spirit aka Shekhina was invented (okay, not really invented but discovered/perceived) precisely to fill this gap in our knowledge, and purportedly to tell us something about the transcendant aspect of God. But I don't think that's what happens, even if the perceptions are real. The information or experience we acquire that way is information about the immanent aspect of God. That's the root of my attraction to Paganism...the Goddess is always embodied.

Damn...I don't know how I'm doing this...it's all coming so easily today, and most of the time I sweat for hours over my e-mails and discussion board posts. My Lady must be writing through me today...I can't imagine any other way it could be happening. Double damn...now I'm getting self-conscious and I can't do it any more!

I was about to say I was looking for a way into that marathon "Pantheism and Panentheism" topic that had me so intimidated I thought it would take me several days of reading JUST to get caught up, before I dared to even think about posting anything. Now it looks like I've written something I can post there. But as you see, it had to sneak up on me. I couldn't set out to do it.

As for Tao...I've read his posts and don't find them offensive. Atheists usually don't bother me nearly as much as theists unless they are extremely militant in-your-face atheists. I don't like it when they deny my experiences of nonordinary or subjective reality and tell me I'm hallucinating or whatever. I'm not asking them to believe me about those things, so the least they can do is return the compliment and not tell me to disbelieve them.

The one I really, really, REALLY want to sink my teeth into is Thomas!!!
icon10.gif

Ever noticed the kind of stuff he has to say about the Gnostics??? But I don't care for anything that smug, self-righteous Scholastic SOB has to say about anything. That guy sets my teeth on edge when I'm just lurking on here and not posting.

However, I'm smart enough to know when I'm out of my depth, so I'm not gonna take him on personally. But I do have a very good online friend who hangs out at another interfaith forum. I'm gonna see if I can drag him over here, and then we call ALL watch the fun!
icon10.gif

My friend isn't Jewish, but he has said for years that he'd convert to Judaism before he'd ever become a Protestant. He's an agnostic, and nowadays he describes himself as a "cultural Catholic." He's also smart as all hell and has a serious background in philosophy. Mostly self-taught, but he has taught himself VERY well. I'd just love to see Thomas try to pull that Aristotelian Scholastic crapola on him, because my friend has that stuff memorized!!!

I won't say anything more now. I'll just send him a heads-up by e-mail and hope it all works out, because if it does it will be too beautiful for words!!!
icon10.gif

B'shalom,
Linda

Avi,
I'm neither; I'm a pantheist. That is NOT the same thing as an atheist no matter what any theist tries to tell you!!! In the not-too-distant past, I USED to say I was a panentheist, but recently I've become wary even of saying that. I'd rather call myself a monist (not a monotheist, though) or a pantheist.

I am interested in panentheism too.

It's not that I deny the possibility of a transcendant aspect of God, but I find that as soon as do that--as soon as I even start to concede the possibility of it--some theist is going to come along and ascribe all sorts of motives and "true revelations"
Do you believe in the Jewish notion of divine Revelation ? What about the Torah miracles ?

to that transcendant aspect of God that I want nothing to do with.
You do not think panenetheism is a transcendent view of G-d ?

And it's ALWAYS something of an authoritarian/patriarchal nature too, and as you already know I am completely allergic to authoritarianism in ANY form.
Right, keep hitting them back !!

Also, I don't know how any human can say or know ANYTHING definitive whatsoever about the transcendant aspect of God. We're talking about the Ayn Sof after all, and Ayin means "nothing." What can you possibly say about it in human language?
I think this is Kabalah which I do not know much about. It seems that this issue is somehow related to creation. I do not think religion will give us much insight to creation. That will come through science (if at all).

That would be like saying something definitive about the dark side of the moon. I mean...how can we can know? We don't have any senses or any faculties whatsoever for perceiving it. Whatever we perceive by direct experience is the immanent aspect of God by definition. Or as the Gnostics said: "Whatever you will say, you say nothing outside the flesh," that is to say, outside of the experience derived from our five senses and the human languages we have developed to communicate that experience.
I do not know much about the Gnostics either. It seems very syncretic. Do you want to tell us why you like it ?

I know, I know...the Holy Spirit aka Shekhina was invented (okay, not really invented but discovered/perceived) precisely to fill this gap in our knowledge, and purportedly to tell us something about the transcendant aspect of God.
Who are you referring to here ? I have never mentioned the Shekhinah, although I think it is an interesting concept. Who discovered / perceived the Shekhinah, the Kabalists ?

But I don't think that's what happens, even if the perceptions are real. The information or experience we acquire that way is information about the immanent aspect of God. That's the root of my attraction to Paganism...the Goddess is always embodied.
Really, I didn't realize that. I thought the main issue in paganism was related to naturalism ?

Damn...I don't know how I'm doing this...it's all coming so easily today, and most of the time I sweat for hours over my e-mails and discussion board posts. My Lady must be writing through me today...I can't imagine any other way it could be happening.
Wow, we are experiencing some sort of mystical event, right here in the forum !!

Double damn...now I'm getting self-conscious and I can't do it any more!
What happened, she got scared away ?

I was about to say I was looking for a way into that marathon "Pantheism and Panentheism" topic that had me so intimidated I thought it would take me several days of reading JUST to get caught up, before I dared to even think about posting anything. Now it looks like I've written something I can post there. But as you see, it had to sneak up on me. I couldn't set out to do it.
You don't have to read the whole thread, you can just read the last few posts.

As for Tao...I've read his posts and don't find them offensive. Atheists usually don't bother me nearly as much as theists unless they are extremely militant in-your-face atheists. I don't like it when they deny my experiences of nonordinary or subjective reality and tell me I'm hallucinating or whatever. I'm not asking them to believe me about those things, so the least they can do is return the compliment and not tell me to disbelieve them.
Yeah, Tao is pretty cool. He's not very good at identifying peoples aliases :D, but he posts some neat science stuff.

The one I really, really, REALLY want to sink my teeth into is Thomas!!!
icon10.gif
Oh, so he is the one that really has to watch out for those spells :D ?

Ever noticed the kind of stuff he has to say about the Gnostics???
No, he's I guess he is not a fan, huh ?

But I don't care for anything that smug, self-righteous Scholastic SOB has to say about anything.
Have you considered sneaking up on him with a good alias :D ? That could be an affective revenge :D!

That guy sets my teeth on edge when I'm just lurking on here and not posting.
You lurk here :eek: ?

However, I'm smart enough to know when I'm out of my depth, so I'm not gonna take him on personally.
What do you mean, a karate chop to a strategic location does wonders :D !!

But I do have a very good online friend who hangs out at another interfaith forum. I'm gonna see if I can drag him over here, and then we call ALL watch the fun!
icon10.gif
Oh, this should be entertaining !!:)

My friend isn't Jewish, but he has said for years that he'd convert to Judaism before he'd ever become a Protestant. He's an agnostic, and nowadays he describes himself as a "cultural Catholic." He's also smart as all hell and has a serious background in philosophy. Mostly self-taught, but he has taught himself VERY well.
He sounds like he will fit in perfectly here !!

I'd just love to see Thomas try to pull that Aristotelian Scholastic crapola on him, because my friend has that stuff memorized!!!
What do you mean, the "Aristotelian Scholatic crapola" ? Does that mean you are a neo-Platonist ? A Socratic ?

I won't say anything more now. I'll just send him a heads-up by e-mail and hope it all works out, because if it does it will be too beautiful for words!!!
icon10.gif

B'shalom,
Linda
Linda, you can't stop now, the plot is just thickening :D !! You are the most fun poster we have had in a long time !! You are not someones alias are you ?? :D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back