Yogananda on Religion

the quote is from a Book, "The Yoga of Jesus", which is shortened version of Paramahansa Yogananda's teaching on the gospels, so if you want to dig deeper then I suggest you get the book.

When we have our interfaith service or when I pray with others...it varies, but most often I thogoughly enjoy the moment.

Now for full disclosure, I have the most issues hearing prayers of my own faith that are exclusionary, eg. contain words that leave others out of the picture.

In Boy Scouts we teach our prayer chaplains to be as inclusive as possible when we pray. No 'take of your hats' or 'bow your heads' it is 'let us prepare to pray', no 'our fathers' or 'in his name' we leave it open as possible so anyone in the room can resonate with the words...(and add what they need for themselves)

When we have our interfaith service or when I pray with others...it varies, but most often I thogoughly enjoy the moment.

Now for full disclosure, I have the most issues hearing prayers of my own faith that are exclusionary, eg. contain words that leave others out of the picture.

In Boy Scouts we teach our prayer chaplains to be as inclusive as possible when we pray. No 'take of your hats' or 'bow your heads' it is 'let us prepare to pray', no 'our fathers' or 'in his name' we leave it open as possible so anyone in the room can resonate with the words...(and add what they need for themselves)

Wil, thanks for your observations, I always enjoy your liberal religious perspective !! :) (I hope you don't mind my characterizing your perspective that way ?)

So the result of my experiment is, I still wonder, it is possible to really share intimate feelings of other faiths while still holding on to our own faith ??

you should probably read the quote in context before drawing any conclusions like that.

Yogananda speaks of Christ Consciousness as

Christ is Gods Infinite Intelligence that is present in all creation. The infinite Christ is the "only begottent son" of God the Father, the only pure Reflection of the Spirit in the created realm. That Universal Intelligence, the Kutastha Chaitanya or Krishna Consciousness of the Hindu scriptures, was fully manifested in the incarnation of Jesus, Krishna, and other divine ones; and can be manifested also in your consciousness.
can you buy into that as a Jew ?

you should probably read the quote in context before drawing any conclusions like that.

Yogananda speaks of Christ Consciousness as

Quote G2G:
Part I (headings added by Avi)
Christ is Gods Infinite Intelligence that is present in all creation. The infinite Christ is the "only begottent son" of God the Father, the only pure Reflection of the Spirit in the created realm.

Part II
That Universal Intelligence, the Kutastha Chaitanya or Krishna Consciousness of the Hindu scriptures, was fully manifested in the incarnation of Jesus, Krishna, and other divine ones; and can be manifested also in your consciousness.

can you buy into that as a Jew ?

G2G, I suggest a strategy to answer your question. Substitute the name Moses for Christ and see how it sounds from a Christian perspective. That was sort of the point of my experiment. Can you see what I am saying ?

But I will be glad to answer your question. The first part is similar to your OP, hence my reaction is similiar, that is, it is difficult for me to relate.

The second part makes what seems to be an effort to bring an interfaith perspective by mentioning other divine names. Hence it seems like a nice contribution from an interfaith perspective to me.

G2G, I suggest a strategy to answer your question. Substitute the name Moses for Christ and see how it sounds from a Christian perspective. That was sort of the point of my experiment. Can you see what I am saying ?

yes of course i can see that those who hold on to a rigid set of beliefs may never find common ground.

But I will be glad to answer your question. The first part is similar to your OP, hence my reaction is similiar, that is, it is difficult for me to relate.

The second part makes what seems to be an effort to bring an interfaith perspective by mentioning other divine names. Hence it seems like a nice contribution from an interfaith perspective to me.
but is Moses a divine name ?

and you should probably read the the whole chapter of the book or at least the surrounding paragraphs to get an idea of the context, without the proper context, well you know :rolleyes:

Back