Is the bible without error?

To treat the Bible like a history or science text degrades it as mythology, and cheapens it. The purpose of myth is not accuracy, so I fail to see why accuracy should be a concern.

I think the earth also undergoes literal different ages with changes and the elments act differently during different times. Perhaps more like a perfect terrariam type of atmosphere prior to any flooding or rain? It is a nice thought for a perfect earth upon its initial arrival. Someone recording a real flood during that time would have a different persepctive than we do today and they would never have seen it coming. According to the story, they did not have a clue as to what real rain or a literal flood even was and according to the story a flood that big would also never happen again. But could it? or maybe scientifically it could only happen once? It does not mean it is not possible, it just means if it did happen they perceived it differently according to what they knew at that time and we would perceive it differently because we have never witnessed it during that time.

When I think of myth I think of the goose laying golden eggs and the wizard of oz type of story and of course the many godmen who raise from the dead with many lessons to teach that there is no place like home and the grass is not always greener. I am confident though, that when the sherriff knocks on my door and tells me we are going to flood, that there will be a literal flood and he is not telling me a myth. That also comes from experience, not just because someone says so or because someone in the past wrote down a story that they flooded. I do not remember ever being so frightened until after the I saw how fast the water came and surrounded us all, leaving only one way out for many days.

When I think of it as a myth but a rather accurate myth with implications maybe not so much accuracy. According to the myth, those who did not prepare for a real flood because they did not believe it was possible, all died. Of course a mythical death in a mythical flood but the implications are the same in a real flood. As for accuracy, I must agree that it was not necessary for the koala bear in Australia to make the boat on time:D. Like anyone or anything in a mythical flood or a real flood, we would naturally run or swim for higher ground. I bet the year of Noah was a good year for the mythical sharks:)

I must agree that I would not bring literal science into an age or a story that we cannot be certain of from that POV as a pro or a con in history, nor science into something with a supernatural context. I also think we take things more serious the next time around after we have survived the first one, and until after we survive & experience the first one, it will always be a myth or something that happens to someone else. That is a human condition that I have been guilty of many times in my youth.

I think the Bible has been "filtered" through so many anonymous humans, of mostly unknown motivations,education, etc....that to think it's somehow inerrant and w/out fault, is to invite exactly the kind of horribleness we see in the world today.
It, for one thing, removes the need/value of..critical thinking.
And destruys the beauty of allegory in opening our minds.
I cannot, in good faith, ask someone else to decide such important questions for me.
I ask for opinions, yes; but not the definitive.

I think the Bible has been "filtered" through so many anonymous humans, of mostly unknown motivations, education, etc....

I recommend Bart Ehrman's Jesus Interrupted, where he details the contradictory stories in the Bible and the centuries-long process that produced the book we have today. While some sources are anonymous, many are known and recorded their motives and intentions for all to see. The Bible was shaped by folklore, personal interpretations, social pressures, politics and power struggles.

It is the height of naiveté to hold to that the Bible is the Word of God, inerrable and infallible.

A Letter To Camille Jordan

Thomas Paine 1797

(full text here)

Citizen Representative

As everything in your Report, relating to what you call worship, connects itself with the books called the Scriptures, I begin with a quotation therefrom. It may serve to give us some idea of the fanciful origin and fabrication of those books. 2 Chronicles xxxiv. 14, etc. "Hilkiah, the priest, found the book of the law of the Lord given by Moses. And Hilkiah, the priest, said to Shaphan, the scribe, I have found the book of the law in the house of the Lord, and Hilkiah delivered the book to Shaphan. And Shaphan, the scribe, told the king, (Josiah,) saying, Hilkiah, the priest, hath given me a book."

This pretended finding was about a thousand years after the time that Moses is said to have lived. Before this pretended finding, there was no such thing practised or known in the world as that which is called the law of Moses. This being the case, there is every apparent evidence that the books called the books of Moses (and which make the first part of what are called the Scriptures) are forgeries contrived between a priest and a limb of the law, Hilkiah, and Shaphan the scribc, a thousand years after Moses is said to have been dead.

Thus much for the first part of the Bible. Every other part is marked with circumstances equally as suspicious. We ought therefore to be reverentially careful how we ascribe books as his word, of which there is no evidence, and against which there is abundant evidence to the contrary, and every cause to suspect imposition.

None of the BIble is fact. I have been researching the origin of the Bible. It appears that most of it is based on Egyptian Myths, even to the use of "Amen" at the end of prayers. "Amen" comes from the Egyptian God Amum/Amon/Amen, the God of Creation.

Next, study the history of the foundation of Christianity by the Pagan Roman Emperor Constantine I at the Council of Nicea in 325 CE and learn how the Canon of the BIble was conpiled by Eusebius and how many books were expunged from the Bible. The Roman Catholic Church was made the official religion of the Roman Empire for political reasons.

None of the BIble is fact. I have been researching the origin of the Bible. It appears that most of it is based on Egyptian Myths, even to the use of "Amen" at the end of prayers. "Amen" comes from the Egyptian God Amum/Amon/Amen, the God of Creation.

Hi Eccles and welcome. Please cite your source, I believe you are incorrect.

i would dispute that. and say that

Amen = Aum the cosmic vibration, that's what Yogananda reckoned :cool:

Back