One Way: the reason why Christian ecumenicalism is impossible

In our times traditional Christianity has lost its former intolerance of other paths to God which many non-Christians think is a good thing given the historical record of traditional Christians in action. But is this new stance true to the teachings of Jesus Christ? I think not. Jesus Christ was pretty adamant in the Gospel of John about the pathway to the Father being only through the Son
When you have a chance, maybe check the Greek Lexicon on term for "the way."

nowhere does Jesus hold up any other religious leaders for Christians to follow, not even Moses or certainly not Abraham.
This does not mean Jesus ruled out other leaders.

Please reconcile to: "No one comes to the Father, but through me." (John 14:6).

I know it's a question for Thomas, but I'd like to add a question if I may...

Do we have to know Jesus as the Christ to be saved through the Christ?

Yes, who/what is Christ?

Oh, but I asked you! ;) I have some ideas, but I'm interested in what other people have to say. It wasn't a rhetorical question.

"If this is your belief I have no issues with it. It isn't my belief, can you tolerate my belief that the Christian way is not the only way? After all would that not be the golden rule?"

--Yes, of course I can tolerate other religious paths being expressed. That's why I posted this topic in the first place because I have been singled out and censored on this forum for expressing my Christian views. Don't confuse intolerance of other religious paths with a desire to shut them up. I want to see open dialogue without hypocrisy between religious practitioners, that's all.

"So if your way is the only way, what is your purpose on an interfaith board? To witness to this fact? Well surely not outside of the Christian forum as that would be againt our Code of Conduct."

--There it is. Which is more important? Abiding by "our" Code of Conduct or being truthful about expressing my religious beliefs? I chose being truthful and am quite willing to pay the price as posting honestly is far more important to me than membership in a forum designed to squelch those religious beliefs which are not compatible with ecumenicalism.

"In general sure you can post, but if you only want to preach to the choir, if you don't want any questions or discussions, this may not be the place. There are other venues for you to find a bunch of folks nodding their head and hollering halleluah, and amen to your one way thought, this just isn't one of them."

--Funny, it is me who demands going beyond the present choir of head nodding interfaith ecumenicalists who want to insist no one makes any waves of discord by ignoring or covering up inherent major differences between the various religious belief systems.

"It also begs the question, which one way is the only way? The baptist? The only one and true and orginal religion as established by our saviour Jesus Christ, Catholicism? Jehovah's Witness? Mormon? Lutheran?....Oh I am sure you are to tell me it is your way, and one or more of the above is the wrong way..."

--Yes, it's MY WAY or the highway and I'll have my Big Brother beat you up if you don't agree.:mad::eek::D;)

--Hey, I really trust God and the Spirit of Christ to be able to cut through the bull**** of any religious belief systems people attach themselves to. I just want to see a level playing field in this forum where each belief system can be expressed truthfully even the warts and all of intolerance and/or absurdity. When we choose a President here in America, each candidate has to go through the Arena of public scrutiny so that voters know who and what they are placing their trust in. I just ask for the same process to be allowed here--open competition of beliefs and not "let's all just get along" by ignoring major differences. If we never address the reasons why our major religions tend to be incapable of furthering say, their Golden Rules which most of them have, we will never be able to move beyond warring religious sects.

That's why I posted this topic in the first place because I have been singled out and censored on this forum for expressing my Christian views.

That is nothing new. They do censor and control others to meet the needs of the agenda but doesn't all these internet forums?

I just want to see a level playing field in this forum where each belief system can be expressed truthfully even the warts and all of intolerance and/or absurdity.

I would never expect that from any religion forum and this one is no different.
--There it is. Which is more important? Abiding by "our" Code of Conduct or being truthful about expressing my religious beliefs?
You are supposed to go by the interfaith religion system which basicly says everyone is right and no could ever be wrong, much. Insults, put downs, threats, long winded heated debates, you know...

My own personal Rule #1, never NEVER take a religion forum serious, do not make it a personal investment or expect fairness.
Rule #2 What you say, can & will be used against you.
Rule #3 Have it your way at Burger King
Rule #4 Keep your deepest personal beliefs to yourself unless of course you do not mind having them trampled into the mud.

Other than that, you should be good to go:)

My own personal Rule #1, never NEVER take a religion forum serious, do not make it a personal investment or expect fairness.

Not bad, but I'd say never take yourself too seriously. Then you won't mind a little unfairness when it comes to your personal investment.

Rule #2 What you say, can & will be used against you.

So you better be ready to defend yourself. Again, no biggie.

Rule #4 Keep your deepest personal beliefs to yourself unless of course you do not mind having them trampled into the mud.

Totally disagree. Lay yourself out naked for all to see. A forum is an opportunity to test yourself, including your deepest personal beliefs — they're probably the ones coated with the most crap anyway.

Besides a little mud never hurt anybody. Take a shower, towel yourself off and get back into it!

Not bad, but I'd say never take yourself too seriously. Then you won't mind a little unfairness when it comes to your personal investment.

So you better be ready to defend yourself. Again, no biggie.

Totally disagree. Lay yourself out naked for all to see. A forum is an opportunity to test yourself, including your deepest personal beliefs — they're probably the ones coated with the most crap anyway.

Besides a little mud never hurt anybody. Take a shower, towel yourself off and get back into it!

I am not into mud slinging contests, though I know most people who go to religion forums love that. The bigger the insults, the better. I have already tested it and it does nothing for me in the way you like it. I am not one into bickering sessions and that is the fastest way to turn me off and get me to not talk to you.

I am not into mud slinging contests, though I know most people who go to religion forums love that. The bigger the insults, the better. I have already tested it and it does nothing for me in the way you like it. I am not one into bickering sessions and that is the fastest way to turn me off and get me to not talk to you.

So who's bickering?

Namaste sonoman,

So if I now understand you correctly you want to be able to tell us why your way is the one and only way and you want to be tolerated for saying that and we are not to discuss altermates to your view.

Have I got this right? If so this might not be your venue. Or any forum. Maybe you should get a blog or website of your own, oh but you have one and haven't been able to drive enough traffic to it?

If I've got it wrong please feel free to continue to explain.

Let's get into a fight to test that again (playfully or seriously, it doesn't matter).:) I just want to see if the system works as designed before I sell it.

So if I now understand you correctly you want to be able to tell us why your way is the one and only way and you want to be tolerated for saying that and we are not to discuss altermates to your view.

He cannot demand our toleration. We are free to feel intolerant of him if we desire.

He cannot control our posts. We are free to discuss any alternative viewpoints that we want.

The only thing he can control is his choice to claim that his way is the only way.

While it's not much, at least it's attainable.

So who's bickering?

Now that you asked...

Get all that mud out of your eyes and ears that I know you love to wallow in and then you will know. From my few conversations with you and reading how you approach others, you do a nice job at antagonistic bickering through insults and also trying to force you own views onto others by creating stupid debates. But hey! that is what this place is here for. Thriving on opposition with individuals & trying to corner people like you do does not make a very good buddhist though it does set the perfect example of typical religious dialogue.

And since you are the type who always wants the last word in the arguments and bickering sessions that you create, like this one, and you are not happy unless you get to fling the mud last - please do enjoy your last word and make it real good and juicy with lots of mud for yourself to roll in.

Let's get into a fight to test that again (playfully or seriously, it doesn't matter).:) I just want to see if the system works as designed before I sell it.

well, I am glad the christian forum is all about mud slinging as that I have no interest in which I why I stopped posting on it to begin with, so I will pass on that. But hey, if you can make money selling it, go for it.:)

So who's bickering?

As an exponent of choir logic you have to bicker. Without bickering you would have to attempt impartial reasoning which is the antithesis of choir logic. So you are compelled to keep on bickering to support the logic of the choir. No sense in denying it so you may as well just keep on bickering.

As an exponent of choir logic you have to bicker. Without bickering you would have to attempt impartial reasoning which is the antithesis of choir logic. So you are compelled to keep on bickering to support the logic of the choir. No sense in denying it so you may as well just keep on bickering.

Hmmm... I seem to recall a similar post of yours. It compelled me to ask you if you saw yourself as a coconspirator in all this.

But I don't remember you ever answering my question.

So how about it Nick?

Do you consider yourself above "choir logic"?

Now that you asked...

Get all that mud out of your eyes and ears that I know you love to wallow in and then you will know. From my few conversations with you and reading how you approach others, you do a nice job at antagonistic bickering through insults and also trying to force you own views onto others by creating stupid debates. But hey! that is what this place is here for. Thriving on opposition with individuals & trying to corner people like you do does not make a very good buddhist though it does set the perfect example of typical religious dialogue.

And since you are the type who always wants the last word in the arguments and bickering sessions that you create, like this one, and you are not happy unless you get to fling the mud last - please do enjoy your last word and make it real good and juicy with lots of mud for yourself to roll in.

Don't hold back Bandit. Tell me how you really feel.

One last suggestion: ignore me.

I'd understand. I had to ignore Nick there for a couple of weeks.

But my undeniable love for that big lug dragged me back. I wish I knew how to quit him.

Hmmm... I seem to recall a similar post of yours. It compelled me to ask you if you saw yourself as a coconspirator in all this.

But I don't remember you ever answering my question.

So how about it Nick?

Do you consider yourself above "choir logic"?

Yes, I don't need to defend the blind faith in a choir master that is essential to sustain choir logic.

Yes, I don't need to defend the blind faith in a choir master that is essential to sustain choir logic.

*shakes head* It's so hard to understand you sometimes.

But I do understand "yes" and I congratulate you on having the intellectual honesty to admit that your part of the bickering choir singers caroling in the dark cave with the beast.

Nick_A, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

Back