One Way: the reason why Christian ecumenicalism is impossible

Again, I'll prefer to continue to study the Christ and live now, you may continue to learn and teach of your antichrist and worry about the future.

The Antichrist applauds your approach

I do not believe compassion is intent.

We cannot manufacture compassion.

But we can allow it to guide us.

And yes. I am equating Mind with God.
The Christian expression of this would be "let not my will, but Yours be done."
(Luke 22:42)
and, tying it back into the topic of this thread:
John 6
35 "I am (AI) the bread of life," Jesus told them. "No one who comes to Me (AJ) will ever be hungry, (AK) and no one who believes in Me (AL) will ever be thirsty (AM) again. 36 But as I told you, you've seen Me, [g] and yet you do not believe. 37 Everyone the Father gives Me will come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I will never cast out. (AN) 38 For I have come down from heaven, (AO) not to do My will, but the will of Him (AP) who sent Me. 39 This is the will of Him who sent Me: that I should lose none of those He has given Me but should raise (AQ) them up on the last day. 40 For this is the will of My Father: (AR) that everyone who sees the Son (AS) and believes in Him may have eternal life, and I will raise (AT) him up on the last day."​

The Christian expression of this would be "let not my will, but Yours be done."
(Luke 22:42)
. (AN) 38 For I have come down from heaven, (AO) not to do My will, but the will of Him (AP) who sent Me. 39 This is the will of Him who sent Me: that I should lose none of those He has given Me but should raise (AQ) them up on the last day. 40 For this is the will of My Father: (AR) that everyone who sees the Son (AS) and believes in Him may have eternal life, and I will raise (AT) him up on the last day."​
Alignment of will allows us to clarify motives and intentions. This alignment is not the same as action, however.
"It is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose" (Philippians 2:13).
Notice that 'to act' is something different from what it is 'to will.'

Are we going to get into my least favorite bickering match where we compare competing verses to prove somebody "right"?

Those are so utterly boring.

Alignment of will allows us to clarify motives and intentions. This alignment is not the same as action, however.
"It is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose" (Philippians 2:13).
Notice that 'to act' is something different from what it is 'to will.'

And down the rabbit hole we go.

Y'all have fun with this one.

I've been kicked in the behind a bit much lately.

Could you aim for the teeth while the bruises heal?

Bless you.
When I once complained to a Sufi about how getting information about Buddhism from a Buddhist is like pulling teeth, he answered, "Buddhism is like pulling teeth." :D

When I once complained to a Sufi about how getting information about Buddhism from a Buddhist is like pulling teeth, he answered, "Buddhism is like pulling teeth." :D
That's a clever comeback. Hardly accurate, though, imho.

I see Buddhism as a simplified version of Hinduism. It seems to have been intended to clarify the most fundamental problems of the human condition and to provide basic guidelines for dealing with the issues. It may actually be the most practical religion of all.

That's a clever comeback. Hardly accurate, though, imho.

I see Buddhism as a simplified version of Hinduism. It seems to have been intended to clarify the most fundamental problems of the human condition and to provide basic guidelines for dealing with the issues. It may actually be the most practical religion of all.

Exoteric Buddhism may be this simplified version since it is only on the surface and like exoteric Christianity, only aims to serve a societal good. However esoteric Buddhism is a whole nother ball game with another purpose.

Esoteric Buddhism by A.P. Sinnett

Then if you don't have the time, energy, money or wherwithal to create your own or find something better...and those lasting interfaith friendships are gone...then you'll have to deal with the likes of us.

Hint: many here, myself included have paid the piper of time establishing our ground and playing by the rules as wework on our unique aspects of individuality...if you'd like to play it would behoove you to play nice ands take the time to establish yourself as well.

Sorry,wil, but I do not play with those who want to tilt the board and make the playing field quite uneven. You do. That's your prerogative but I'm not you and will post my beliefs as I hold them without interference from those who hold other views and that's my prerogative and I will accept the consequences although I will bitch, moan and complain vociferously when the forum owner demands I pick up my marbles and leave the game. I just want forum members to be able to trust that this forum member has no intention of libeling anyone here or threatening to shoot their mother-in-law if they don't applaud and join my non-existent holy steam-roller Church of the Impossible Apostle.;)

We're talking about Buddhism here and now? I was there and then and missed the fun. Ok, my two bits as an intolerant ONE WAY Christian (who's girlfriend is a Jewish Buddhist..) These are the End Times for many religious paths including Buddhism. Science of the human brain has revealed the fatal flaw in Buddhist ideology, the flaw of using meditative techniques to stop electrical activity in the brain's sense of self center and thus mistaking reality seen in the ego-less brain state as the essence of existence.

Science of the human brain has revealed the fatal flaw in Buddhist ideology, the flaw of using meditative techniques to stop electrical activity in the brain's sense of self center and thus mistaking reality seen in the ego-less brain state as the essence of existence.

The intent of Buddhist meditation has absolutely nothing to do with stopping electrical activity or thought.

Where did you ever get such an idea?

The intent of Buddhist meditation has absolutely nothing to do with stopping electrical activity or thought.

Where did you ever get such an idea?

Brain studies done of Buddhist monks while meditating. The monks said the closer they they thought they were coming to samsara(?) or nirvana the greater their success in stopping electrical activity in their brains' sense of self centers. It seems when this is done correctly electrical activity is shunted towards the frontal lobes where higher consciousness takes place as well as activation of pleasure centers where the oceanic bliss sensation arises. But it's all brain manipulation that to me is not much different from chemical brain manipulation to avoid psychic pain. And glorifying a single brain state as Buddhists do to me is the prime reason that social progress is slowed in Buddhist societies. Without an ego you cannot readily create something that goes against the way of Nature or social traditions. It takes an ego to buck traditions and move knowledge forward by painful trial and error..

Brain studies done of Buddhist monks while meditating...

I wonder... would you want me to judge Christianity based upon a brain study of four priests?

No. You'd want me to judge Christianity based upon the teachings of Jesus Christ.

Likewise, I'd ask you to judge Buddhism on the teachings of the Buddha.

He didn't tell his followers and others to manipulate their brain activity. He told them about suffering, the cause of it, that the cessation of suffering is attainable, and the path to end suffering.

He taught the eight-fold path...
1. Right View
2. Right Intention
3. Right Speech
4. Right Action
5. Right Livelihood
6. Right Effort
7. Right Mindfulness
8. Right Concentration

There's much more to Buddhism than simply turning on brainwaves.

Back