Top 10 required movies.

Casablanca (1942)

This is a great movie, first of all because I think it is one of the greatest love stories ever portrayed in a movie. But secondly, because Ingrid Bergman does such a fantastic job of acting. Her abillity to show different emotions on her face is just amazing. Watch as the expression on her face changes from happiness, to fear, to guilt, to surprise, etc. I actually recommend people who are studying body language to watch this movie, because Ingrid has such a wide number of emotions she can express through her facial expressions.

OK, this is waaaaaaay too freaky...I watched Casablanca yesterday, and now I can guess what made me do it. :D

Um, Ok... This is kinda scary but ima gonna give it a try.

Snatch: Hylarious but mind the curse words.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang: Hilarious in a witty way. Curse words galore as well.

In Bruges: Funny, sad, mostly funny. Lots of curse words.

Boondock Saints: Just guess... yep, curse words. But a great movie, very funny and just awesome.

Sin City: Well, you know. Great mood to the movie, very visually dynamic.

V for Vendetta: My god I love this movie. So powerful. Bring a dictionary.

Drop Dead Fred: Must see. That's it. Must see for anyone who has a kid in em still.

Legends of the Fall: Wonderful story spanning a lifetime. Must see.

Fight Club: Great, Great, movie. Love, just the idea behind this movie. Awesome.

What Dreams May Come: Wonderous! Just watch if you've never seen it! Great, beautiful story.

Theres my list. Oh my fluffiness, there are so many others. But by process of elimination, here they are. 300 would be on here as well, but ran outta room ya see!

Moon.

(avoid trailer - too much spoiler).

Up there with 2001.

s.

Scrooge (1951)

In my humble opinion, this is one of the greatest movies ever made. Not because it is about Christmas, not because it displays my idea of Hell beautifully and accurately, but because it shows how a warm, tender, loving man becomes a cold-hearted monster. For example, the scene where young Scrooge proposes to his sweetheart is one of the most heart-warming love scenes ever shown in a movie. And, later, their breakup scene is very realistic. It shows how divorces really happen. (It also suggests how two people can avoid divorce, but does so in a concealed way.)

Watch this movie again, but this time on a "human interpersonal" level. You will see things about human nature that you didn't know were in the movie.

:D That is my all-time favourite Christmas movie and rendition of Dickens' A Christmas Carol, although the kid in me thinks the Muppets' version is fairly good. I just so love the music and emotion ... yes ... the humanity ... shown in the 1951 version. I've watched it (almost) every year for Christmas since I was about 6 and it gives me goosepimples still! haha

You might notice I seem to go for more epic or storied kinds of films ... but I really enjoy a number of the movies you folk have already listed ... just don't ask me to watch lame horror movies (where the scariest part is in the previews), or overtly cheesy chick flicks which make me feel nauseas. *shudder*

So here are my top 10 recommendations (in no particular order):

1. Seachd: The Inaccessible Peak -- the first feature film in Scottish Gaelic, and has to be one of my all-time favourites. I don't think it is released anywhere outside of Great Britain/Ireland though (not yet anyway), but it really IS a must see! If you live in America/Canada and have an international DVD player, you should really try to get a copy of this. The main thrust/idea behind the movie -- "The Truth is in the Story" has become a saying with me.

2. Big Fish -- another excellent movie about storytelling. I recommend it to most people, not as a fantasy movie but as a very human presentation of the dignity, imagination and adventure we all experience every day (even if we're not awake to it).

3. The New World -- (link is to trailer) a gorgeous film; although about the actual historic events surrounding Pocahontas and John Smith (unlike the Disney version) and their impermanent love affair, it really is so much more. It's not really action-packed or "dramatic" in the sense of most blockbuster films, but I think it evokes and speaks to our vulnerabilities, our sense of innocence and loss of it. I almost fall into a trance when I watch this. It also very powerfully illustrates the difference between the native American worldview and life and the incoming European ways--pretty accurately. Pocahontas bridged and lived in both worlds, so her story is very much about that.

4. The Fountain -- another not very "big" film, but I love it and imagine most spiritually-minded people would. When I first saw it, I was fairly blown away because it is not really the kind of film that would appeal to most people, yet it has been produced. It's "confusing", highly symbolic, and deals specifically with Death ... but powerful and clever if you "get" what is being said. It's not just about "Death" but also about the quest for Enlightenment, At-One-Ment, whatever you want to call it. Full preview here: YouTube - The Fountain movie (trailer)

5. Whisky Galore -- and when all the symbolic heavy movies get too much, I turn to old classics like this 1949 black&white. Gotta be one of the best of its kind, because nothing makes me laugh quite so much as these Scottish islanders hiding looted whisky and doing anything to protect it from the mainland inspectors. :D It's really more a mild comic statement on the Scots and their whisky ... or the Celts and their booze. It's also a chance to snigger at the English, lol.

6. Stardust -- I love this movie for its psychological/spiritual symbolism of the hero's journey (well what else can you expect from Neil Gaiman? I love his "Mirrormask" too) but also just because it's a fairly good watch when you want something meaningful but not too overpowering. Love story, yes -- cheesy ... well, it's more of a parody and doesn't take itself too seriously, I thought. I just love the idea of the feminine being full of radiance like a star ... we women certainly can have a "glow" about us. ;)

7. The Lord of the Rings trilogy ---ahhhhhh!!!! I was addicted to Tolkien, all of his works, and these movies once upon a time, far more than was healthy. Not really for the faint hearted because of their length, but I actually prefer the extended editions. The sort of movie you either love or hate, but really should see each of them at least once in your life.

8. Ben-Hur -- another old epic classic, been one of my favourites since I was about 8 (haha yes I was a strange child) and not sure what it is about this film, but it certainly has got oomph to it. A good tale of revenge/love.

9. Alexander -- I think this movie got bad reviews too, but tough! It's hard to do a movie on someone as massive as Alexander the Great. I find it compelling, and like the whole ancient world/exotic feeling it tries to evoke. The inaccurate portrayal of the Persians and Macedonians is a bit -- upsetting -- if you are Iranian ... and of course, this is a loose biographical portrayal with a great deal of artistic license and debatable parts to it, but I think this film (could) capture some of the spirit behind such a strong and forceful character as Mega Alexandros.

10. One Were Warriors -- wow, well I would definitely recommend this movie to everyone too, along with Tao, although if you don't like to see domestic violence or other such stuff, don't watch. I thought it was a rather gob-smacking statement on both Maori culture and also on humanity as a whole (who themselves all descend at one time or another from "warriors").

Back