Let's get real about Bible stories...!

Sorry about that. I like being described as poetic, so thanks for that. My take on what you've posted this time is that its important to keep culture, and that I think you are acting paranoid. Analytic gotchas? Halls of mirrors? Nobody here has shut you down or up or hidden anything from you. You just are new to the subject. What is the rush?
Sure, Dream, I'm in a big hurry.
Trying to catch up with you folks.

I lost thirty years between that long-ago summer with the (unwittingly cruel) trick my Aunt Aileen pulled on me in my youth up to this last winter when Aunt Aileen died.
(I never hated her. I continued to love her, because I understood why she did it. But I never forgave her, in my heart, either. Such seemed the Christian thing to do, but never seemed like the correct response. Morality is tough business.)

I am trying to make up for lost time.

I just wish some of you folk would pull BananaBrain off of me now and then. He is like a wolverine guarding his hole in the ground, snarling and dangerous. :)

& & &

(Truth is, BB does scare me a little bit.
You all probably know he is harmless. But I keep waiting for his teeth to chomp into my neck. He has grabbed hold of my pant-leg and is climbing higher, and he won't let go ... when what I am attempting to do is address everybody and not just BB.

I've tried to change tactics ... so he would. But he just keeps coming at me the same way. Unrelenting.

I can see how it might appear to BB that I am attacking his religious beliefs. This is not what is happening here. Not on my part. I am just trying to establish my own. And be a tad provocative, doing so - not shilly-shally around issues.

And, from where I stand, it appears to me - perhaps incorrectly, too - that BB is providing an ultra-hardcore critique, perhaps beyond the bounds of fairness, targeting the nascent Foundations of my own Religious Beliefs. If I don't come to honor his beliefs - not just respect, but honor them - then my beliefs have got to be dirt. And it feels too, at times, that he is determined to make sure that that is just what my incipient beliefs become - in my eyes and in everyone else's eyes.

I was brought up to believe {didn't get it from my parents, but got it somewhere} that it is good form to rephrase a debate adversary's argument in your own words, first - not to merely quote them. That way everybody knows you both are on the same page - not just talking at cross-purposes, each arguing from a different mental text. Only then, after rephrasing, do you state what your objections are to the other person's argument. It is just good form.
It is also courteous to tell a person when they have - or may have - gotten something right. Not just dump on them an endless chronicle of all the things they got wrong.
BB insisted on viewing my own attempts at courtesy as "patronizing."

Maybe, Dream, the etiquette at IO is different. And I just haven't picked up on it yet. Maybe I am the one who is breaking all sorts of rules that I don't see. If so, politely let me know.

But yes, Dream. I do feel a little abused.

And, going {what ended up} a full two days without sleep, I kind of "lost it" in yesterday's 5 posts.

I blame myself. And apologize.
I blame BB.
But I also blame you, Dream - and everyone else who has followed this thread - for not pulling BB off of me.
Or blame you, at least, for refusing to politely suggest to him that he might change his tactics.

Or is it customary to give primadonna newcomers, such as myself, a seething trial-by-fire. And BB won that job by lot?

Or, is it self-preservation. You each fear, if you do something, that BB then will get on your case, too, and you won't be able to shake him free? :))

& & &

What personally saddens me (because I've come to like you), Dream - as regards your post yesterday ...

I do five substantive posts.
You respond to the one paragraph, yesterday, in one post, where I mention your name.
Your name.
That's it.

(I habitually look forward to your words in front of me.)

I spent an exhausting day writing.
And that bit was the sole thing that jumped out at you.
The single solitary thing which you remembered from everything you read.

The only thing here worth commenting upon ...

(Hurts my self-image.
Sorry, Dream, for being petty.)

& & &

Now I need to take one huge deep breath, and try to read, with equanimity, BB's newest long post ...

Wish me luck, Dream.

Penelope,

What moving posts. I am sorry for you loss of Les and the terrible void it created.

As for Banana, he does have this attack dog style that he himself seems entirely ignorant of. If he bothers you again I'll find a rectal surgeon to perform a lobotomy on him.

(Still do not like reading in large print teal script though)

Peace out...

Tao, you are the man! What say Penelope we end this thread and move on to some less sensitive topics? Now that you've had your baptism of fire you can get suited up and start attacking the next wave of newbies!

"Its time to put it on -- the last suit you'll ever wear!"

--Men in Black

As for Banana, he does have this attack dog style that he himself seems entirely ignorant of.

bb can seem caustic, but there's a layer of humour in there was well that's worth recognising and appreciating where possible.

You are raising direct questions about Judaism, so you get one of the most qualified people on this board to answer - no doubt others have a different style (where's Dauer?!).

penelope,

from where I stand, it appears to me - perhaps incorrectly, too - that BB is providing an ultra-hardcore critique, perhaps beyond the bounds of fairness, targeting the nascent Foundations of my own Religious Beliefs. If I don't come to honor his beliefs - not just respect, but honor them - then my beliefs have got to be dirt. And it feels too, at times, that he is determined to make sure that that is just what my incipient beliefs become - in my eyes and in everyone else's eyes.
you're reading me wrong. i do not expect you to "honour" my beliefs, this is not a ceremonial event. actually, i am trying to do you a favour. if your foundations rely upon a totally erroneous understanding of *my* beliefs, then you are building your foundations upon sand and setting yourself up for a nasty bit of structural work later on. it is far better, i would have thought, to understand these foundations before you rush to build your roof terrace. nobody says (myself least of all) that you have to have any kind of relationship with jewish sacred texts, but if you insist on having a relationship with them, then it should be based on understanding, not ignorance and condemnation. i don't define myself in terms of canaanite idolatry or anti-semitism. by all means condemn the Torah if you feel you must to live a good life, but first you should seek to understand it. that is all i am saying. if you expect courtesy, you must give it in return.

BB insisted on viewing my own attempts at courtesy as "patronizing."
penelope, i told you i *presumed you didn't realise* how patronising the remark actually was. should you really be surprised to discover that i had nuanced and deep feelings for my own sacred texts? come on now.

I can see how it might appear to BB that I am attacking his religious beliefs. This is not what is happening here. Not on my part. I am just trying to establish my own. And be a tad provocative, doing so - not shilly-shally around issues.
you want to be provocative, but not to provoke a strong response? how is that supposed to work?

Or blame you, at least, for refusing to politely suggest to him that he might change his tactics.
in my first couple of posts to you, i was trying to steer you away from a course which would undoubtedly lead to my having to jump all over you. contrary to what you may think, i don't get a kick from savaging people making tentative steps on their spiritual journey, although people who insist on coming here and talking nonsense about things they clearly know nothing about, yes, generally, they do get corners rubbed off pretty quick. if what they're talking nonsense about is judaism, then that generally falls to me or dauer.

each fear, if you do something, that BB then will get on your case, too, and you won't be able to shake him free?
penelope m'dear, i'm a moderator and that imposes a certain discipline. i do not rampage around the site picking fights when frankly i have better things to do with my time, like the job i get paid for, which has nothing to do with this. all site users have a code of conduct to follow and the other moderators and brian, the site owner, will have no hesitation in kicking my arse if they feel i'm out of line.

look, i think you're under a number of misapprehensions as regards both the purpose of this site and my own attitude, which i will try and clarify.

1. this is a *dialogue* site. ideas here are for discussion. this is also a site for grown-ups; ideas are put forward for defending, robustly - one of the things i like most about tao is though he and i are in violent disagreement on a number of issues, he will fight his corner with as far as i can tell no hard feelings, although i wish he'd be less personal.

2. the moderators have (and are still having) intermittent discussions about creative writing. while this is not a creative writing site, there are a number of regular posters who post chunks of their own writing (and repost them on a number of other sites) - i assume they read the comments, but they don't get involved. coberst is the first person who springs to mind here. there are another set of people who pop up and post things which are intended to push other sites, particularly their own and, worst of all, there are the latter-day-prophets and messiahs, who are generally nuttier than squirrel poo. now while all of this might be useful for starting discussions, it does generally get peoples' backs up if someone doesn't want to discuss what they've posted in any kind of meaningful fashion.

if i understand you correctly (you are right, it is good form to rephrase arguments!) you are trying to work out how you stand with the Divine and how to relate to the Great Whatever and your chosen means of doing so appears to be to write what are effectively your own kind of modern midrashim (see here: Midrash - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) as a way of working through your feelings. now, that is an entirely valid approach imo (not that you need validation from me of course!) and nowadays, almost a traditional one. given that you appear to need me to "honour" that, fine, i will honour it.

what you have to understand is that the environment where you have chosen to work through these issues is not a sort of creative writing "sharing circle", where people will suspend analytical and critical judgement. these issues are personal to us. these biblical figures you are dismissing as backward, ignorant, non-PC barbarians are, more or less, relatives of mine. there is blood involved. it is deeply personal. when i see someone drawing undue conclusions due to what i can see is a lack of background in the field, i feel more or less the same way i feel when i hear someone who has no medical or scientific knowledge whatsoever, holding forth on the iniquities of the MMR innoculation and its links to autism, which makes all the doctors i know roll their eyes and foam at the mouth due to its utter scientific indefensibility. all the more so when i hear christians defending a literalist view of the first two chapters of genesis. this is personal to me and these days, i fear, i have less patience than i should in trying to move people around to an *open* questioning of the Text rather than reading their own issues into it when they simply don't apply. if you wish to attempt to maintain such a point of view, fine - but then expect to defend it. we're all adults. (visors down! lances up! charge!)

i am aware that i can appear somewhat intimidating, but that is only because, generally speaking, i have more expertise in analysing these texts (and in the original languages) and certainly more familiarity with traditional interpreters than most of the people here - but i am by no means the last word in interpretation and there are certainly people around these parts that are quite happy to go at it with me hammer and tongs. and if you met mrs BB, you would understand that i do not always come out in front! as i've said, judaism is a culture of learning through argument and jewish texts are designed in my experience to open up and reveal their depths only in such an environment. in fact, in the case in point, ezekiel 6, i can tell you that i don't think i'd ever read it before you brought it up. nonetheless, with experience, if one understands the intellectual and cultural infrastructure that surround the text, it is not difficult to pull out at least the meaning of the "pshat" (that is the basic level of meaning in our four-level schema http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pardes_(Jewish_exegesis) )

i can't help feeling, nonetheless, that you are here for company. it also seems that you are in a very sad situation, i feel - and you need good friends around you. an internet forum is not the place to go for such things. i have good friends from these forums, people who i've spoken to in real life, people who i would have no hesitation in inviting to my home for dinner. but that takes years to build. i feel like i know more about your life than i should. i feel you're being too open about your family situation in a "too much information" kind of way. honest and heartfelt though it undoubtedly is and sympathetic though i certainly am, when you bring it into the mix in such a way it feels like emotional blackmail. i am not someone who beats up on grieving widows and it feels somewhat manipulative for you to use a bulwark of personal grief to protect what appear to be aggressive, prejudiced but nonetheless weak arguments. it turns what is usually a free and frank exchange of ideas into a therapeutic support group. to be blunt, but i sincerely hope not brutally so, we are not such group, we don't have the sort of controls or professional qualifications that are necessary for such a supportive environment and we can't take responsibility for people's emotional and mental health. the internet is the equivalent of an discussion in a public square. i don't know who is listening, but i know it is more than the people who comment. with the information you have provided, you could probably be located in real life and taken advantage of and that simply isn't what any of us want. if you will take my advice, honestly meant, you will make sure your real-life social infrastructure is in place first and foremost. it is, in my experience, a sine qua non of personal development. now, returning to the actual subject (as far as i am concerned anyway):

Religion begins, for me, in a morally complicated universe.
A morally complicated universe where you have, only, the raw edge of emotion to guide you.
i agree with everything except the bit about only having emotion. what about intellect? what about reason? logic? insight? analytical rigour? surely these things are also important in morally complicated environments? my honest opinion on these things is that the greatest challenge in a morally complicated universe is that of trust, which is how faith arises in my experience. this is the conundrum at the heart of the "binding of isaac" episode.

The rush ... is because I want to work thru it and get to the (upper) 60%
if i am correct in understanding where i am, it's more like you are still dealing with the issues of "world of formation". now that isn't a bad thing at all, but there are "higher" worlds than this. these are less accessible without a great deal of challenge.

I think they are actually pretty good religious writings ... ? Because my emotions were fully engaged, as I wrote them. (And, in a sense, pure - my emotions. I was not trying to do something or say something. I was just responding to the text I was reading. I was just going where my emotions took me.) I was having a religious experience.
and that is all very well, but emotions are only part of the picture. religion is about far more than this. religion based on emotion alone lacks balance, to my way of thinking.

By your standards, Dream, and BB's standards ... it is probably a pretty low-grade religious experience.
i don't know about "low-grade", but i would say that it unchallenging. religion, at its best, challenges our comfort zones, our assumptions, our biases - and forces us to confront deeper, sometimes more difficult truths. this is the thing with the later prophets, you'll find; many of them find prophecy an exceedingly difficult experience to be part of; this is true for isaiah, jeremiah, hosea and amos, i wasn't so sure about ezekiel, but i think you may actually have persuaded me of this, so perhaps i have learned something from you. not what you thought you were revealing, but nonetheless of value. and the most difficult of all come from either the philosophical integration of the complete picture (that's a world in itself) and finally the direct experience of the Divine.

Ezekiel's revelation is probably up in the 60% terrain - stuff I know next to nothing about yet.
that is certainly true of chapters 1-2 which are some of the most recondite, but nonetheless practical, guides to the mystical experience that exist. the "account of the chariot" is a core text for jewish mystics.

My revelation sits down in the lower realm of religious experience, a moral revelation.
well, perhaps, except i don't think it has taught you anything you didn't know already. you already know it's wrong to disrespect women and all the other stuff you were talking about. so do i. that's hardly a revelation as such. the value of the Text starts when you learn something you *didn't* know, or you think about it in a new way. in this case, you didn't actually learn it from the Text in this instance, because the things you thought you were seeing aren't really there. on the other hand, maybe this is a lesson to you about what is most *important* to you, about how your moral centre is constructed. in which case, i suppose it is certainly a valid piece of learning, even if the Text was the *stimulus* rather than something you can read your conclusions back into. if anything, you see, ezekiel and the tradition agree with *you* about relationships, perhaps just not in the way you think.

But as a moral force, Mosaic Law is Tribal Law. I would bet my entire reputation, thin as it is (as an 8th-10th Grade historian), upon that fact! I am that positive I am correct!
perhaps you are. we certainly consider it the law of our tribe and it is applied in a tribal way. but if we are talking about BIG BUTs (and this is really the jennifer lopez of them all) it does NOT therefore signify that THIS tribal law is "BAD"; that is the conclusion that you have leaped to in the most unwarranted of fashions, leading you to make such absurd statements as "Raping non-Israelites is just fine. Such peoples have no connection to genuine Deity, and thus are hardly people." and if you can't see why that would result in a certain amount of exasperation on my part, perhaps that is something you need to address.

I don't find the Bible particularly moral. It has a different agenda.
perhaps you don't understand the moral issues the bible is dealing with or the way it works. i hate to say this, but you are only dealing with the 10% of the iceberg that is showing above the water. there are two Torahs, the Written and the Oral - and you are only looking at the written bits. most non-jews don't even know the other bits exist. just to give you an idea, you will find detailed laws of divorce in the Torah, yet no laws of marriage. yet people are obviously getting married right from the get-go. but how? how did they get married? the Oral Law is where you have to go to find this stuff out.

these are the basics, penelope. i'm actually trying to help you out.

b'shalom

bananabrain

Ok, wow I just finished an amazing MP3 lecture series that talks about the story of the ten commandments and the golden calf. Many things tie in to this foundational Bible story, and I cannot recommend this series highly enough which offers interesting insights as to what probably really happened in the story. It is 6 one-hour mp3 files, and each one hour talk is packed. Based on an opinion written by Nachmanides, a modern English speaking rabbi uses his cues to explain how to read this story and others involving prophets in a way that answers a lot of those little what-the questions. Understanding this story brings a lot of practical & spiritual gifts that are sure to benefit.

Home - Rabbi David Fohrman: Guided Adventures in Jewish Text Go under the lectures section, then Life of Moses, and then Calf of Gold. It is free, and it will save you time plus its easy listening like you could play it in the car.

Home - Rabbi David Fohrman: Guided Adventures in Jewish Text Go under the lectures section, then Life of Moses, and then Calf of Gold. It is free, and it will save you time plus its easy listening like you could play it in the car.

Dream, this looks like a very nice, scholarly website, I will have a look, thanks. :)

My only concern is that this Rabbi comes out of the Orthodox tradition, but perhaps that is the perspective you are interesting in reading about. My own perspective is more "liberal".

A Liberal interpretation of the calf

I will give you the short version of what I think is the early Christian view of the calf and what it tells me about Judaism:

The first Christians, after the temple destruction, decided that Judaism could go on only by reinterpreting disasterous events as a fulfillment of prophecy. They chose to see shapes of hope in the smoke clouds. Though Christians have since fallen almost wholesale for golden calves, our texts reveal Judaism's innate distrust of human leadership. (I bet this is the reason for much of the world's democracy today by-the-way.)

It seems that to early Christians the plague that came upon Israel as a result of the calf is division in your community, which also called a 'sword' (1Chron21:5,2Sam12:10) that attacks the house of David forever. Christians removed this sword by putting Jesus into heaven. He was the new Israel, an all inclusive Son, a body of believers; not literally a man. They spoke of him as a man, but in a mystical way. (In terms of liberality, their story spinning is nearly atheism.) The calf which brings the plague represents the kings that Israel chooses instead of the covenant. Christianity's texts hold that reliance upon human leadership divides us, a principle nowhere more obvious today than in the many church splits among christians.

Liberally speaking, instead of just living right people always desire a leader to do it for them, but these leaders are a 'Calf' which brings division with it instead of righteousness and a healthy community. christianity's treatment of prophecy is evidence that the above perspective existed in the pre Christian era. Christianity in the synoptic gospels seems based upon this liberal interpretation of the plague that came from the story of the calf.

Jews Today and Reform:

Jews themselves sometimes think they are caught up in a conspiracy, but actually they are part of a conversation between orthodoxy and assimilation. It is like a generational pendulum. What happens is that orthodoxy occasionally spins off reformist groups that try to impact society. Sometimes they go messianic (like the hippies or philosophers), and sometimes they are focused upon the Jewish community alone. Nobody does it, it just happens. It is a natural thing to happen because of struggle between assimilation and separation, and because Jews are trained to be independent and moral.

I have just joined this Interfaith Group. I am a bedraggled refugee from the "Holy" Roman Catholic Church, now an Atheist. I just did something I never did as a Roman Catholic - read the Old Testament. That was something the Roman Catholic Church discouraged. I now know why. I read up to Kings II and had enough of all the genocidal slaughter carried out by the Hebews under the orders of their God.

Let us consider the Book of Exodus. Now I am well read in the history of Ancient Egypt. The story of Moses and the Exodus is pure fable. Exodus gives the numbers of Hebrews escaping from Pharoah: 602,000 adult males polus women and children. That makes about 2 million people. It has been calculated that that was the population of Egypt at the time. So the whole popujlation of Egypt escaped frpm Pharoah. Now it is said in Exodus that the Hebrews came to the Red Sea and the Lord God parted the waters at the request of Moses so the Hobrews could cross. Well it was not even the Red Sea. Another of the may mistranslations in the "holy" Bible. The correct translation is the Sea of Reeds, a body of slhallow water close to the border of Egypt east of Pi-Ramases.

Then "Holy" Moses and his 2 million people wandered the Sinai Desert for 40 years.
OOPS, Archaeologists have been digging there since about 1920CE and found NOTHING.

Need I say more. The Bible is the worst book of fiction ever written.

I have just joined this Interfaith Group. I am a bedraggled refugee from the "Holy" Roman Catholic Church, now an Atheist. I just did something I never did as a Roman Catholic - read the Old Testament. That was something the Roman Catholic Church discouraged. I now know why. I read up to Kings II and had enough of all the genocidal slaughter carried out by the Hebews under the orders of their God.

Let us consider the Book of Exodus. Now I am well read in the history of Ancient Egypt. The story of Moses and the Exodus is pure fable. Exodus gives the numbers of Hebrews escaping from Pharoah: 602,000 adult males polus women and children. That makes about 2 million people. It has been calculated that that was the population of Egypt at the time. So the whole popujlation of Egypt escaped frpm Pharoah. Now it is said in Exodus that the Hebrews came to the Red Sea and the Lord God parted the waters at the request of Moses so the Hobrews could cross. Well it was not even the Red Sea. Another of the may mistranslations in the "holy" Bible. The correct translation is the Sea of Reeds, a body of slhallow water close to the border of Egypt east of Pi-Ramases.

Then "Holy" Moses and his 2 million people wandered the Sinai Desert for 40 years.
OOPS, Archaeologists have been digging there since about 1920CE and found NOTHING.

Need I say more. The Bible is the worst book of fiction ever written.
That is very interesting story, Eccles. So how long were you Catholic? Me? Pentecostal plus some other protestant varieties.

If it is all fable than all of the genocidal killing never happened. Think of the story as a vaccine. You get an injection of the weakened bug to ramp up your systems against it. The approach the Bible takes is to take into account our negative tendencies, then teach us not to follow them by facing us with them. It is possible that the crossing took place through the actual red sea and that all of those people really were killed, but I cannot be sure. Let us assume they were and in so doing realize just how low we can go if we let the world go to hell.

Do I actually know whether they are fables? It is harder to determine than you let on. The sea of reeds is where some people would have us believe they crossed, but that is not what the text and maps say. It is also likely that the population numbers are base seven, not base ten; which changes the order of magnitude of the reported populations. It probably doesn't matter to you, but you brought up the population count. The person to ask about the base 7 thing is Bobx, because he has read a book about it.

Hey, noticed your avatar. You work with horses?

That is very interesting story, Eccles. So how long were you Catholic? Me? Pentecostal plus some other protestant varieties.

If it is all fable than all of the genocidal killing never happened. Think of the story as a vaccine. You get an injection of the weakened bug to ramp up your systems against it. The approach the Bible takes is to take into account our negative tendencies, then teach us not to follow them by facing us with them. It is possible that the crossing took place through the actual red sea and that all of those people really were killed, but I cannot be sure. Let us assume they were and in so doing realize just how low we can go if we let the world go to hell.

Do I actually know whether they are fables? It is harder to determine than you let on. The sea of reeds is where some people would have us believe they crossed, but that is not what the text and maps say. It is also likely that the population numbers are base seven, not base ten; which changes the order of magnitude of the reported populations. It probably doesn't matter to you, but you brought up the population count. The person to ask about the base 7 thing is Bobx, because he has read a book about it.

Hey, noticed your avatar. You work with horses?

Jeees, Dream, I just wrote a lengthy reply and was told I was not logged in, which I was.
I'll just say, yes, I do work with horses, or am supposed to. Riding for the Disabled but I cant drive and my lift is unavailabe fo a while.
That horse was my best mate Chester whom I owned for 11 years

I was a Roman Catholic for 30 years. Science converted me away from it.
I'll write more later.

I just did something I never did as a Roman Catholic - read the Old Testament. That was something the Roman Catholic Church discouraged. I now know why. I read up to Kings II and had enough of all the genocidal slaughter carried out by the Hebews under the orders of their God.

I saw this coming.

Need I say more. The Bible is the worst book of fiction ever written

With all your "scientific training" why are you just giving your own personal opinions with no verifyable sources as back up ? First you started with the NT fabrication but I saw the OT smears coming next. So far you are on track for where I see you heading.

Judaism is not so much a culture as an ongoing argument.
[SIZE=+1]We all talk a lot of bullcrap, don't we, B'n'n'br'n?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1](The normal admixture of nonsense and rationalization.)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]But when you told me, "Torah is not merely lore. It is also law." ...[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]That broke thru all the nonsense. A little lightbulb flashed on, in my head.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Not exactly siraj ("luminous light"). But a flicker of something.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Something fundamental.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]& & &[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]A little flicker of truth.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]And I am still trying to understand it ...[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Why it gets inside me. Why it makes sense to me.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]I have not changed my opinion (a near certainty, in my mind) that Mosaic Law (circa 1250bce) is Tribal Law.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]But I have followed your line of logic, B'n'n'br'n, that everyday Jewish Law (halakha) is an evolving law.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]It is indeed a Constitution being amended all the time.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]First, there is the Written law of the Torah.[/SIZE]

Moses Maimonides said:
Employ your reason, and you will be able to discern what is said allegorically, figuratively, and hyperbolically, and what is meant literally.
[SIZE=+1]Then, there is the Oral law.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1](The Mishnah codified by Judah ha-Nasi in 200ce, plus the ongoing rabbinic Mishnah-commentaries 200ce-500ce, called the Gemara.)[/SIZE]

Moses Maimonides said:
Rabbinic statements should be regarded as individual opinions and not halakha. Accordingly, they may be rejected.
[SIZE=+1](Particularly when they "contradict demonstrable facts," according to Maimonides. Only prophets and saints are not to be questioned.)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]& & &[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]The Law bends and changes, with changing times.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]It adapts to contemporary needs.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]And, even today, halakha may prove compatible with modern, digital-era moral considerations - how a person makes decisions in a morally complicated, planetary environment. (But this still remains to be demonstrated to me.) [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1](See my disquisition on this subject: Faith as an emotionally powerful fantasy = visual mind-pictures which touch a person's inner core?, posts #1, #2, #16, #19, and particularly #26.)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]& & &[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]A second lightbulb which went off in my head, Bnnbrn, when you said ...[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1][post=204739]"Judaism is not so much a culture as an ongoing argument."[/post][/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Your comment not merely makes the Law make sense, as potentially relevant to present-day, contemporary life.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Your comment, further, points to the historical (and spiritual) significance of the ancient Israelite conception of God. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]& & &[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]I have pictures in my head of Viking ships sailing down Russian rivers and into the Black Sea. They, for awhile, challenge Byzantium and the upstart Moslems for control of that region.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]What I cannot picture is how the Vikings brought their gods with them - gods born of the Nordic landscape of fire and ice. Finding themselves in a terrain so unlike Scandinavia, the Viking gods must have seemed so out-of-place on the prairies of the Ukraine, on the warm Black Sea. There is no way these Vikings can have telepathed their original gods from so very far away.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Genghis Khan surges west across the steppes of Russia to supplant the Norsemen, 7.5 centuries ago. The entire distance, the Mongol deities - born of short horses and eternal grasslands - would never have felt out of place. It is not until the Hordes hit the forests of Hungary - an alien landscape - that their advance is stopped. Their gods of the prairie could not explain to the Mongols how to live and fight in a place such as this. Mongol power, here, dissipates.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]& & &[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]The power of Pagan deities was always that ... these gods were deeply embedded in the landscape where the believers lived. Travel too far from their Sacred Mountain or Holy River and the believers lose their bearings. (Either accept - bow down to - the new gods at this new place, or lose touch with immediate reality. That is the choice.)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]This is the problem facing Abram when he and his wives and his sons and his brothers and cousins and their vast herds decide (or are forced) to leave Ur in Mesopotamia. And, more so, when he passes on power to Abram, Jr., and Abram the 3rd, and Abram the 4th.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Do you take on new gods?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Or do you try to hold onto each and every one of the old Mesopotamian gods (and thus risk losing touch with today's reality - the reality immediately in front of you)?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]One member of the Abram lineage happens upon a radical solution.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Times are tough. One of the Ur gods demands a human sacrifice, so that Abram's Tribe will be permitted to see its way forward. So, with fire prepared and knife high in the air, suddenly all the gods get together and take a vote. They grip Abram's raised hand. The old Mesopotamian gods now speak, together in unison, with a single voice. "We say ... Sacrifice an animal instead ... And call yourself now, Abraham."[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1](The gods no longer speak separately - no longer each voice relevant for disparate occasions, each for a different category of situation. But now, instead, they speak as one, all together for all occasions.)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Abraham fashions a golden prairie schooner as home for 'the gods with a single voice,' so that this new brand of deity would travel with the Tribe from place to place. Tribal members no longer need to telephone all the way back to Ur, to consult their committee of Secret Advisors.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Where the Tribe goes, their tribal God travels with them.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]And, in this way, God adapts to the demands of each new landscape.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]& & &[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]This is something Fundamental.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Pagan superstition - tying a god to a single place - bites the dust. The Israelite conception of God would eventually reveal the sectarian flaw behind all "sacred" pantheons. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]The Israelite god is unique for 1700bce, and still unique in the time of Moses (1250bce) - despite continuing Israelite attempts to backslide into Pagan ways. But the Israelite God on Wheels is barely able to survive the intervening centuries till Christianity and Islam, too, have embraced this mutable God - a God who changes with each new time and place It encounters.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]During the time, from when Solomon builds the First Temple (10th century bce) thru the destruction of the Second Temple (70ce) the backslide into Pagan superstition finally cements. The supreme Israelite deity is re-attached to a single place. To a single stone at the top of a single mountain. God's once unique power is re-paganized.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]& & &[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Thanks, Bnnbrn. I can begin to see it, now.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]It took the Diaspora to give back to Judaism its unique and original God.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1](Not its pagan mountain-top god.)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Judaism is not so much a culture as an ongoing argument.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Yes.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]... a People (and its Law) able to adapt to changing climates. So[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]... likewise the God which travels with them.[/SIZE]

It is also likely that the population numbers are base seven, not base ten; which changes the order of magnitude of the reported populations. It probably doesn't matter to you, but you brought up the population count. The person to ask about the base 7 thing is Bobx, because he has read a book about it.
Aside from questions about what an eleph "thousand" actually means in these census figures (I think eleph is probably 7 x 50 = 350 here) : I believe the numbers actually derive from a much later census, conducted by king David, which is treated in the text as a novel and unprecedented action. Famously, the account of David's census in Samuel says "YHWH moved king David against Israel, that he numbered them" while Chronicles says "Satan moved king David..." (a census was considered a hostile action against the people, since governments conducted censuses with a view to imposing taxation and military drafts more precisely, with a more accurate sense of what the maximum they could get away with was; Egyptian records have several mentions of rebels attacking and burning the census bureaus first).

If the numbers are not made up, but are a copy of real numbers from a very later period, then it is possible that the Exodus account does have some core of actual events in it (which is always my default assumption about any legend: I do assume there was a great king of the British named Arthur, that Herakles really was the ancestor of Greek dynasties calling themselves Heraklid, and that the ancestral Herakles was famously strong, etc.); however, the number of people involved was very small, and that is why we don't find the archaeological footprint that we would expect from a moving city the size of Detroit and San Jose put together (to name two approx-million-sized cities I know). Certainly there are indications in the text itself that the body of people is not so absurdly large: for example, the Israelites are directed to dig all their latrine pits well outside their whole encampment, which would make for an uncomfortable walk in the middle of the night for people unfortunately camped in the middle of the Detroit-plus-San-Jose tent city that the census applies, but would of course be quite sensible if the whole encampment is just a couple hundred people in a dozen extended-family tents.

Penelope said:
We all talk a lot of bullcrap, don't we, B'n'n'br'n?
speak for yourself. personally, i try and avoid it. and what is it with my handle? i don't think i get it.

I have not changed my opinion (a near certainty, in my mind) that Mosaic Law (circa 1250bce) is Tribal Law.
but you haven't questioned what that actual label of "tribal" might really mean and whether what you think it means is actually all that accurate.

Rabbinic statements should be regarded as individual opinions and not halakha. Accordingly, they may be rejected. Particularly when they "contradict demonstrable facts," according to Maimonides. Only prophets and saints are not to be questioned.
they may be rejected, but that doesn't mean that they *will* be. maimonides himself is not the last word on this matter, nor is he an infallible guide to every area of jewish thought, although he is a great hero of mine, partly because he is in my view so utterly misunderstood by the vast majority of beardy nincompoops. the issue here that maimonides is addressing is the tendency of religious authorities to pronounce on *non-religious matters*. the context is that of the debate between aristotelian views of the universe and various other religious views, both jewish, greek and muslim. the point he is making, essentially, is that if some religious authority pokes his nose into an area where the knowledge of scientists (philosophers, in maimonides' terminology) is more applicable, then he must bow to their superiority in that area of competence. you have to remember that maimonides' quest is to find a way of becoming the ideal integration of "philosophic prophet"; he doesn't think you'll make a very good rabbi if you are ignorant of philosophic and scientific method. this is part of the reason he dismisses many religious authorities as mumbling superstitious fools. a true prophet, or a saint, for him, has philosophy and metaphysics under his belt before he can ascend the path of ultimate communion with the Divine.

The Law bends and changes, with changing times. It adapts to contemporary needs.
that is a "reform" view. more traditional views would point out that sometimes, the test of the Law is what it chooses to bend with and what it chooses to stand fast against. so, for example, whilst being extremely open-minded in matters to do with, say, personal injury compensation, it takes a very poor view of, say, adultery, which is not considered such a big deal in western society today. the way the law adapts is complex, but nonetheless evolutionary.

And, even today, halakha may prove compatible with modern, digital-era moral considerations - how a person makes decisions in a morally complicated, planetary environment. (But this still remains to be demonstrated to me.)
how would you like it demonstrated? the first places that pop up for me are here:

The Jew and the Carrot Kosher, sustainable meat
Home - The Shmita Project: Vision for the New Jewish Food Movement

you may have other areas in mind, in which case, do flag them up and i'll be happy to address them.

See my disquisition on this subject: Faith as an emotionally powerful fantasy = visual mind-pictures which touch a person's inner core?
it was interesting, but it seemed to me that the most important point made on the thread was thomas's at #20.

Your comment not merely makes the Law make sense, as potentially relevant to present-day, contemporary life.
how good of you to condescend to notice it. the jewish community will, i am sure, be delighted to find that the activities of our present-day, contemporary life are governed by a Law that is potentially relevant to it.

The power of Pagan deities was always that ... these gods were deeply embedded in the landscape where the believers lived. Travel too far from their Sacred Mountain or Holy River and the believers lose their bearings. (Either accept - bow down to - the new gods at this new place, or lose touch with immediate reality. That is the choice.)
aha! now you're definitely getting somewhere. this is very much one of the major innovations of judaism, the idea of an internationally-transferrable relationship with the Divine that is not dependent upon a physical object - in fact, i believe it was a major step along the evolutionary s-curve from fixed object (mountain) to moveable object (idol) to "field", with the major benefit of portability and replicability.

During the time, from when Solomon builds the First Temple (10th century bce) thru the destruction of the Second Temple (70ce) the backslide into Pagan superstition finally cements. The supreme Israelite deity is re-attached to a single place. To a single stone at the top of a single mountain. God's once unique power is re-paganized.
well, yes and no. i can see how you might jump to that conclusion - certainly it was a massive problem throughout both the first and second Temple periods, precisely because of people's tendency to short-circuit thinking and to behave just like everyone else (we WANT a king, like the other nations!). i call this "thanking the postman". muslims call it "shirk". it is, essentially, associative idolatry. the difference was that in lacking attachment to a place, we lost something important, not just the stuff you would see from the outside like hierarchy and buildings. the key then became how to make judaism both FIXED AND PORTABLE at the same time. we still hadn't learned that lesson properly until the romans destroyed the second Temple. what saved judaism at the time - and there were forms of judaism that died when the Temple was destroyed, such as sadduceeism - was the innovation or r. yohanan ben zakkai, who came up with the paradigm of judaism's sacred texts as a portable homeland, to which you return during study. this is what the first yeshiva and synagogue in yavneh became. later, when we were expelled altogether, we were able to preserve our culture and keep it growing, fresh and vital as the only surviving diaspora culture of the ancient world. this was not done by changing it to adapt to wider society - it was done by knowing which bits needed reinterpreting and when. arguably, we've still not got it right and now that we have regained our ancestral physical homeland, we have still not figured out how to do that and reconcile it with our perennial spiritual homeland of the Torah. until we can, we cannot expect to integrate the physical and spiritual in a non-corrosive manner, which is what isaiah 2:2, micah 4:1 and zechariah 8:3 are on about.

b'shalom

bananabrain

[SIZE=+1]B[/SIZE]

My name is Penelope.
(Should I spell it for you?)

If you used it two or three times in the course of your response, B, you might remember you are talking to another person.

& & &

P says: We all spout a lot of nonsense and rationalization.
B says: Speak for yourself. Personally, I try and avoid it.
P says: Try harder. You are not doing a very good job at it.

& & &

B, several people on this site have been kind.
But you are the only person here at IO, so far, who has given me something of value (two things) regarding where I am going.

In my essay, here yesterday, I acknowledge that. I did some research. I tried to attain some of the background you suggested to me in previous posts. And in writing the essay, I think I discovered a thing or two with some teensy bit of truth to it.

How bad would it hurt you, B - at some point in your response - to tell me as much? Would it kill you to, just once, say something nice?

Wishing you well ... And thanking you for thinking me worthy of your responses,

Penelope

& & &

(That's P - e - n - e - l - o - p - e. Did you get that, B? Should I spell it again?)

Penelope, I dont understand why you are taking anything anyone (BB) says so personal. Im not sure what you were expecting here.. some grandiose applause for your writings? Your writings are somewhat insulting to a few reglious beliefs and you would have to expect some negative feedback. You just happened to meet BB head on in this and rather than just let it go you are getting more and more personal and sarcastic which really just makes him look all the more better for keeping cool. Its very uncomfortable for others to read... well at least its uncomfortable to people who dont like rudeness. (Me).

Back