Scientific fundamentalism

That is like Moliere's philosopher who, when asked why people get sleepy after smoking opium, answered "It is because opium has a soporific virtue."

Yes. That was some mighty fine circular reasoning at work there.

Avi's post reminds me of the wise words rogertutt (may he rest in peace)...

We always, without exception, choose in the direction of the strongest influence all of the time. It is absolutely impossible to choose what we do not prefer. The fact that we choose it proves that we preferred it at least slightly more than other influences.

Roger would be so proud *sniffles* to see his legacy live on.
t2314.gif

Does this mean we are done discussing scientific fundamentalism :D ?

Why stop?

citizenzen-albums-my-silly-stuff-picture1063-beating-a-dead-horse-by.gif

Might as well take another swing.

I think I saw it flinch.

I just re-read this thread and realized it is just a series of side-gages and jokes. There is really no serious discussion about scientific fundamentalism.

So lets start over:
1) What is scientific fundamentalism ?
2) Are there similarities to religious fundamentalism ?
3) Is religious fundamentalism related to dogma, axioms, assumptions ?
4) Does science bear any similarity to religious fundamentalism ?

I don't see it. Maybe lousy science. But not any science worth anything. Am I missing something ?

I just re-read this thread and realized it is just a series of side-gages and jokes. There is really no serious discussion about scientific fundamentalism.

So lets start over:

I don't see it. Maybe lousy science. But not any science worth anything. Am I missing something ?
The original piece I posted by Wallace lays out what I meant by the term. But, no, many scientists do not become scientific fundamentalists.:) earl

Oh, darn. I was hoping to get two science fundies to go at each other so the rest of us could sit back and enjoy the show... :D They're the ones that put the "duh" in funduhmental.

I agree, and even made the statement, that those actually involved in the research and study do not *usually* come across with that fundamentalist attitude. It's all the groupies and hangers-on that come across with the fundamentalist attitude. Which leads me to believe the basis of a fundamentalist attitude is actually independent of any specific or particular line of thought, that it is more likely a psychological component of ego.

Last edited:
So lets start over:

I think you'll find the essence of your answer in the concept Dawkins fleshed out with Memes, although he failed to realize how he too was implicated and affected.

Certainly, see above answer. Again, I think this is an ego and psychological symptom, not something intrinsic to any particular point of view or outlook.

I think there may be some wiggle room here sufficient to say "maybe." I think this may comprise a healthy portion of the problem, but I also think there is an intentional and deliberate disconnect from any other points of view, a "closing of the mind" if you will.

In the sense of dogma, axioms, assumptions, disconnects and closed minds *among the groupies*, you bet. Science itself as a discipline is divorced from any such sentiment, but humans do not easily surrender emotion without adequate training and practice.

No, you are correct. One must be sure to make the distinction between the discipline and the zealous fanatical adherents. Like with any philosophy with a large following, the problems lie among the laity who only partially comprehend, but believe they are very knowledgeable. Certainty is the culprit and the telltale indicator. A scientific researcher worth their salt *always* leaves room for doubt. It is the groupies who are absolutely certain that comprise the scientific (or religious for that matter) fundamentalists.

Last edited:
Certainty is the culprit and the telltale indicator. A scientific researcher worth their salt *always* leaves room for doubt. It is the groupies who are absolutely certain that comprise the scientific (or religious for that matter) fundamentalists.

...if you think Newton did not know exactly what gravity was, I have only one final comment on the matter: 1/2 mv**2=mgh

Avi, I think Juan just called you a fundie! ;)

Science – 1,994,663,885,373,209,011,957,144,299,656,444,843,084,189,909,263,353,731,190,090,343,222,841,189,252,409,131,234,173,879,157,967,145,980,145,853

vs.

Religion – 4

Oh, by the way,

The actual score, if anybody really cares, is more like
Science: 400
Religion: 50,000

Cave man trumps Descartes.

But there's still time on the clock... :D

What about my new avatar ? :D

Don't panic CZ, I am just uploading temporarily, no copyright infringement :D. I like my Einstein / Tagore picture more anyway :D

Do we think Dawkins is a fundamentalist? I think there is a good case for saying so. He has admitted that he does not need to study religion to dismiss it. That sounds like fundamentalism to me.

Do we think Dawkins is a fundamentalist? I think there is a good case for saying so.
The Unofficial List of Scientific Fundamentalists

• Avi
• Richard Dawkins​

Now we're cooking! We got ourselves a list.

citizenzen-albums-my-silly-stuff-picture1064-mcarthy-list.jpg

The List of those who Choose in the Direction of the Strongest Influence All of the Time

• CZ
• rodgertutt

The Unofficial List of Scientific Fundamentalists

• Avi
• Richard Dawkins

Back